Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Fatalysm

[Harry Potter] Dumbeldore and the wand...

Posted this on my forum but lilshu made me feel bad :P.

I have a few questions for you which I don't have an answer to. We all measure Dumbeldore as a great wizard, he has done great things but is a measure of his success granted by the Elder Wand? I'm going back in my memory a little here but as I recall Dumbledore has a fight with voldemort in the ministry. During that they escape but it was a fairly even fight.

Does that mean that even with the Elder wand that Dumbledore is only slightly better than Voldemort? In reality without the wand is Voldemort more powerful than Dumbledore altogether?

Another thing that's been bugging me is that Dumbledore had his cursed hand, could he have saved himself with his wand if he had wanted to? Seems likely in a world where the Elder wand can fix Harry's wand.

harry potter was so 2011 grandpa

Edited by Adam?

The Elder Wand from what I understood just makes you the other person's equal. in reality magically wise they are the same power, however, you have to consider Voldemort has used rituals to equal Dumbledore's aged magical power. He wasn't always a powerful warlock, that happens over great time of using great power I would assume.

The Elder wand if anything kept Dumbledore alive in the fight. If you think about it he may have great power, but I'm sure the amount he could use without great fatigue would had killed the old goat.

I am not sure I know what you mean he fixed Harry's wand. The hand was cursed with a dark cursed object. From what I gather from watching the movie versus the book there was a "persuasion" curse on the ring that would make the person looking for the ring to want to touch it so they would be cursed. I think it's called the cunjuction curse or something like that?

I write/and do a lot of reading of fanfiction so you get a lot of insights about the Harry Potter world.

The Elder Wand from what I understood just makes you the other person's equal. in reality magically wise they are the same power, however, you have to consider Voldemort has used rituals to equal Dumbledore's aged magical power. He wasn't always a powerful warlock, that happens over great time of using great power I would assume.

The Elder wand if anything kept Dumbledore alive in the fight. If you think about it he may have great power, but I'm sure the amount he could use without great fatigue would had killed the old goat.

I am not sure I know what you mean he fixed Harry's wand. The hand was cursed with a dark cursed object. From what I gather from watching the movie versus the book there was a "persuasion" curse on the ring that would make the person looking for the ring to want to touch it so they would be cursed. I think it's called the cunjuction curse or something like that?

I write/and do a lot of reading of fanfiction so you get a lot of insights about the Harry Potter world.

I'm only quoting the wiki here, but it seems to follow my theory.

It is said to be the most powerful wand that has ever existed, able to perform feats of magic that would normally be considered impossible such as mending another wand damaged beyond normal magical repair. It is known that the Elder Wand's core is the tail hair of a Thestral, a potent yet tricky substance to master that can only be handled by a witch or wizard who is capable of accepting death, since only by such can it be seen.

At the end of the last book, Harry repairs his old wand to use that instead.

With a wand that powerful however, is it not possible he could remove the curse? Just seems a little strange.

Edited by Fatalysm

You have to consider though that not everyone will know every curse out there. I'm sure even Voldemort had a few spells Dumbledore didn't know about. And likewise, I'm sure Dumbledore had some spells Voldemort has never seen! For that matter, it could had been a "custom" spell that Voldemort has created. With the knowledge of both men it's hard to say and you really have to use your imagination.

I had forgot he repaired his wand. I take it that ability is sort of like how a thestral is able to be seen by death. Well the wand is broken (death) so it can see that and help it?

It is said to be the most powerful wand that has ever existed, able to perform feats of magic that would normally be considered impossible

You can do great feats of magic otherwise that would be considered impossible without being an equal. Think about it, I could learn how to cure cancer, but most people would say that's impossible. I would think that the wiki was referring to the impossible part such as the repairing wand and etc.

My thoughts on it were always that Dumbledore chose not to put up as much of a fight as he could have against Voldemort; there was that debate about death they had in the middle of the fight:

Merely taking your life would not satisfy me, I admit-

Also there's still the only Horcrux storyline after OOTP, but JK Rowling may or may not have had that in mind when she was writing the Ministry fight. That's just how I see it.

Iirc, didn't Dumbledore beat Grindelwald when Grindelwald was in possession of the elder wand?

IIRC didn't it say in one of the books that Voldemort was afraid of Dumbledore?

It's the world's most powerful want. Having it doesn't make you the word's most powerful wizard. It's like saying that having the word's best crafted sword makes you automatically the world's best sword fighter or that having James Cameron's cameras make your film automatically epic and worthy of viewing. I'M LOOKING AT YOU RESIDENT EVIL!! <_<

Like Kemo said, Dumbledore did beat Grindewald in the end after a duel that lasted for hours.

Another thing that's been bugging me is that Dumbledore had his cursed hand, could he have saved himself with his wand if he had wanted to? Seems likely in a world where the Elder wand can fix Harry's wand.

MAGIC DOESN'T WORK THAT WAY DAMN YOU! :mad:

Edited by Phoenix Rider