Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sobend

Regrets

I was wondering what regrets you guys had in your lives. You don't need to get too specific. Try to be somewhat serious too; don't say "I wish I hadnt wet me bed last nigh lolz" etc. I'll start out.

I think most of us regret things we haven't done rather than the things we have done. In fact I can't really think of a thing I did that I seriously regret. I've done some stupid things but I don't go thinking, "Darn, if I hadn't have done that my life would be so much better now." So for me all of the things I've seriously regretted would be things I haven't done. The main thing I regret is not being out and about when I was a child (as in before I was 12 or so). I spent a lot of times indoors playing computer games (not runescape) or watching TV instead of being outdoors playing baseball or whatever. As I got older I realized that and began doing other things instead of just spending a lot of time indoors but it was a little bit late. In that way I believe I kind of blew much of my childhood and I'll never be able to get that back because I'll never be a child again. I probably have an overly romantic view of boyhood and I know that my view of childhood is at least outdated because most children for awhile now have been playing video games instead of outdoorsy stuff all day. But it is still a regret I have. I have another but I won't share it until we get some more people to share theirs. :D

So share your regrets.

Edited by Sobend

I can't think of anything I have done regrettably, in particular. I'm sure there's many beneficial things I haven't taken advantage of, but I wouldn't be able to name them, for if I could, I would have taken them at the time.

Sorry for the lack of contribution, so here's the poem "The Road Not Taken", which I find relevant.

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,

And sorry I could not travel both

And be one traveler, long I stood

And looked down one as far as I could

To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,

And having perhaps the better claim,

Because it was grassy and wanted wear;

Though as for that the passing there

Had worn them really about the same

And both that morning equally lay

In the leaves no step had trodden back

Oh, I kept the first for another day!

Yet knowing how way leads on to way,

I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh

Somewhere ages and ages hence:

Two roads divergred in a wood, and I-

Took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Edited by Guitarguy

I regret not saving money.

I regret not making the most of my education.

I regret putting problems onto other people.

I regret my emotions when talking to people, often being dismissive.

I regret not telling her that I loved her, before it was too late!

I regret putting myself before others when I was younger.

I regret treating my family like strangers.

Some things happen for a reason though, I have regrets which I wouldn't change, because they shaped me as a person. You learn from mistakes.

hey bed wetting is a serious issue!!!!

i regret talking to that sexy babe at the last week of school!! should've talked to her much earlier :(

i regret not doing my school revision for the upcoming end of year exams, im fudgeed!

Mark Twain once said that twenty years from the present, you'll regret the things you didn't do more than the things that you did.

My entire list of regrets consists of things I did not do. I literally can't think of a single thing that I did do that I regret. I guess that's probably a good thing now that I think about it.

To be truthful, there is not a single thing that has happened to me, which I would remove from existence if I had the chance knowing it could potentially change things. In the past, I really wished certain things had not turned out the way they did. Some of them were severe choices which, with time, I have had time to come to terms with them and think things through. From what I found out, every single change that I could have made, would have removed something good in my life and made my life worse.

I am going to be the first to admit that I feel I live a good life today, and I am happy with how it is at this very moment. I, like many here, have had horrible demons to fight and up until I was 18 and moved away to go to my University, I never really enjoyed life nor did I find any value in it. There were of course a lot of good times and people I cared for, but they were overshadowed by all the bad times and the horrible people. Luckily, I never became depressed over things, but rather learned to endure in a rather harsh reality which often was tough to cope with. It was a life that sort of forced you to grow up before you were meant to, and to this day, I sort of lament that lost childhood and try to embrace the inner child/youth as often as I can. It is part of what helps students relate to me, because I can afford to be weird and quirky, just to entertain them as well as educating them. :P

My point is, there are a lot of things I at times wish I could have done differently. People that I had avoided and never gotten to know, people I should have stopped and supported while I still had the chance. Choices I should have done, things I could have said differently and so on.. but in the end, everything has lead me down this path. It is easy to say "I would have done X differently", but what if I never educated myself to be a teacher? (Yes, that actually is a bad thing! :cute: ) What if I never met the woman I am madly in love with, and have been, for over 6 years? What if I never broke up with my ex-girlfriend and did not turn to a rebound relationship in my misery which, surprise surprise, ended up being the best choice I have ever made? What if I couldn't make as much money as I currently do? Would my mother have met an amazing man and ended up with me getting an amazing stepfather and 3 good stepsiblings? Would I still have had the inner peace I currently have?

If even one of those situations would have gone differently, then it would not be worth it. I have come to terms with my past, started a new life for myself and I look forward to the future. Time tends to give you a different perspective on things, and while the me that lived the first 18 years of my life would never have predicted me being happy today, I am very happy and content with how things turned out, even if I had to go through 18 dark years to get to the point where things gradually improved.

There is, however, many things I wish would have gone differently, but nothing I would have sacrificed my present and my future for.

I find it's best to not think about your regrests. There's nothing you can do to change the past. The first time you think about your regrets, it's to help you not make the same mistakes in the future, but after that, its only purpose is to make you feel sad or angry and frustrated. Why would you want to torture yourself and make yourself feel that way?

Now, to answer the question. I used to regret my high school years, but I've come to terms with it.

1. Iillness was holding me back, but there was nothing I could've done differently other than preemptively learned coping skills, but how's a person's supposed to do that? It'd be like a person age 10 saying to themselves, "When I'm 15 everybody's going to think skateboarding is cool so I'm going to start practicing now to get a head start". You can't do that; there's no such thing as a crystal ball.

2. The guys who I thought were going to excel in life, and who I hung out with so some of that smartness would rub off on me didn't turn out any better than I did. They've all had minimum wage, entry level jobs since graduation (4 years) that they could've gotten without attending university. This proves to me that the advantages they had like advanced placement class and honors society were a waste. All it did was limit their free time by swamping them with homework. If it didn't help them, then it definitely wouldn't have helped me. I fail to see the benefits of being able to quote some old book like moby dick have enriched their lives.

Edited by Igloo2

I agree with Igloo2 and Yuan. Dwelling on the past is a pointless exercise since there's really nothing you can do to reverse time. The most important thing, therefore, is to acknowledge your mistakes, accept them, learn from them and not make them again.

Well said, yuanrang.

The only thing I will regret is not learning from my mistakes. But I will not regret my mistakes.

Not having regrets is silly. Sometimes you fudge up. You learn from it, yeah, but you can also regret it. Let's not put ourselves above basic human emotion.

Not having regrets is silly. Sometimes you fudge up. You learn from it, yeah, but you can also regret it. Let's not put ourselves above basic human emotion.

Language warning

1T9e3.gif

Language warning

1T9e3.gif

I regret not having that mentality. (Another perfect siggy 10/10)

My biggest regret is trying to be the nice guy. That's the only way I've had girlfriends: we had been close friends before. I'm socially awkward because I'm always the listener then I'm not great at articulating what I have to say when I actually do have something to say. I'm not one to act out of self interest on a lot of things because I'm concerned with what other people are doing/what they would think of me. I've had people walk over me (in major and minor instances) and I've never learned how to stand up for myself.

I regret not developing self esteem. It's not a conscious effort to be down on myself all of the time, but it seems that way.

I'm intrinsically motivated to many things except to set goals for myself. When people have asked me what I want to be when I "grow up", I have never had a straight answer. I'm an engineering student because it caters to my academic interests in the meantime, I have no idea if I'm going to like it when I get a real job. I've always been passive and I just wait for things to happen.

I wish I could appreciate material possessions more. I don't care about having name brand clothes or anything, but I just feel like I buy/get stuff and it just sits. Also shopping for clothes would be a whole lot more simple if I did care about brands, just something small.

Edited by Kamaswami

Language warning

1T9e3.gif

I regret not having that mentality. (Another perfect siggy 10/10)

My biggest regret is trying to be the nice guy. That's the only way I've had girlfriends: we had been close friends before. I'm socially awkward because I'm always the listener then I'm not great at articulating what I have to say when I actually do have something to say. I'm not one to act out of self interest on a lot of things because I'm concerned with what other people are doing/what they would think of me. I've had people walk over me (in major and minor instances) and I've never learned how to stand up for myself.

I regret not developing self esteem. It's not a conscious effort to be down on myself all of the time, but it seems that way.

I'm intrinsically motivated to many things except to set goals for myself. When people have asked me what I want to be when I "grow up", I have never had a straight answer. I'm an engineering student because it caters to my academic interests in the meantime, I have no idea if I'm going to like it when I get a real job. I've always been passive and I just wait for things to happen.

I wish I could appreciate material possessions more. I don't care about having name brand clothes or anything, but I just feel like I buy/get stuff and it just sits. Also shopping for clothes would be a whole lot more simple if I did care about brands, just something small.

There is definitely a difference between confidence and arrogance, or even foolishness in this case!

I see what you're saying though (my .gif was addressing Adam?'s post)

Edited by Zooey

i said the word sandswell person on a runescape forum once, its haunted me ever since

i said the word sandswell person on a runescape forum once, its haunted me ever since

venom is promoted

venom says sandswell person

venom is demoted

I regret buying a cheap leather strap for my watch. Cheap ass glued leather fell apart and my watch fell and shattered the crystal.

There goes a couple hundred bucks. Maybe I can fix it myself I dunno, I gotta look into it. Luckily I brought a backup watch.

I regret buying a cheap leather strap for my watch. Cheap ass glued leather fell apart and my watch fell and shattered the crystal.

There goes a couple hundred bucks. Maybe I can fix it myself I dunno, I gotta look into it. Luckily I brought a backup watch.

I like how the regret is not "I spent a couple hundred bucks on a fashion statement"

Having a watch that automatically adjusts for days in a months, leap years, as well as keeps track of multiple timezones could never be used as a tool and is 100% a fashion statement.

I must have forgotten about that while travelling across multiple timezones and back in a week.

I like how the regret is not "I spent a couple hundred bucks on a fashion statement"

Having a watch that automatically adjusts for days in a months, leap years, as well as keeps track of multiple timezones could never be used as a tool and is 100% a fashion statement.

I must have forgotten about that while travelling across multiple timezones and back in a week.

Oh so hundreds of dollars so you don't have to turn a knob.

That may be worse. :>

I'm not sure why spending hundreds of dollars on something you like is a bad thing.

I'm not sure why spending hundreds of dollars on something you like is a bad thing.

But what about the Bible

Not sure if serious

But what about the Bible

Not sure if serious

None of my comments were. :P

You need to make that more obvious <_< I had already gotten my bible out :cute:

Edited by reepicheep

Do you have a smartphone.

Holy shizzle it automatically adjust by fudgeing satellite.

Sometimes when I'm going through an airport with my hands full I don't always want to whip out my smartphone to check something as simple as the time. And it's nice not having to charge a watch. :)

But that raises the question, why even need a smartphone to tell the time when we have watches. I just need it to make calls, nothing more. Why even have a smartphone?

I can't live with other people enjoying things that I don't. :mad:

Edited by FREEDOM

Sometimes when I'm going through an airport with my hands full I don't always want to whip out my smartphone to check something as simple as the time. And it's nice not having to charge a watch. :)

But that raises the question, why even need a smartphone to tell the time when we have watches. I just need it to make calls, nothing more. Why even have a smartphone?

It's just funny that you're defending an expensive watch as a functional purchase and not a luxury one lol.

It's just funny that you're defending an expensive watch as a functional purchase and not a luxury one lol.

It's got pretty good functionality when my phone is in airplane mode.

And I don't always carry my phone on me and I enjoy being able to tell the time. So there's that, seems functional to me.

Edited by FREEDOM