Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Fatalysm

The Graphics Place

It recently underwent a merge to move competition and discussion in with the gallery of art itself. My question I pose (which I think on a regular basis and hope for an answer to) is, is the graphics section a viable forum with its current standing in activity.

To give a brief summary, it would be best to look past the ridiculous amount of topics I've made this month. I was feeling particularly good about creating stuff again. But when you cut it down, there are a few members who are a little active there and the occasional new poster.

I'm not suggesting a removal of the forum per say, because although activity there has dwindled there is definite interest in the topics. I was perhaps considering merging it into a format like this:

Media

-graphics

-literature

-entertainment

I don't know what I want, I feel like its slowly becoming more and more redundant...:o

Or something similar to that basically. It's hard for me to give an opinion on the matter without bias either side because I love the subject. Do you all think I'm being a little bit harsh on the forum?

I'd love to hear your opinions. I was considering trying to drum up activity with competitions here, like signature of the week and stuff.

Edited by Fatalysm

The reason the graphics place is dead is because the few dozen people here aren't interested in learning (justifiably so, I wouldn't at this point, just for here) and there's no incoming source of GFXers. Rearranging it wouldn't do anything.

I think that it'd be completely pointless to continue rearranging forums. You ultimately have the exact same number of aubforums as far as I'm aware or at least not much less. I'm not sure what this would accomplish. The forum wouldn't become less or more active by simply renaming it.

We need an incentive for lots of new people to join. Back when places such as the Screenshot Fake section were active, we'd have hundreds of people joining for every one that might try their hand at a fake ONCE.

I think that it'd be completely pointless to continue rearranging forums. You ultimately have the exact same number of subforums as far as I'm aware or at least not much less. I'm not sure what this would accomplish. The forum wouldn't become less or more active by simply renaming it.

Whilst posting this I realised merging wouldn't accomplish anything unless you merged it with another forum. But I'm sure one day soon enough it will come to a point where it's almost pointless having that forum in it's current state. I don't want to get rid of it, but that would be the suggestion I'm making if it kept declining.

We need an incentive for lots of new people to join. Back when places such as the Screenshot Fake section were active, we'd have hundreds of people joining for every one that might try their hand at a fake ONCE.
Do you have incentive suggestions? I want to include other people in designing the website, seeing what we can create but I'm not sure everyone is interested in that. I think I'll make a SOTW competition today, probably after posting this.

The reason the graphics place is dead is because the few dozen people here aren't interested in learning (justifiably so, I wouldn't at this point, just for here) and there's no incoming source of GFXers. Rearranging it wouldn't do anything.
What will bring people in? :o

Whilst posting this I realised merging wouldn't accomplish anything unless you merged it with another forum. But I'm sure one day soon enough it will come to a point where it's almost pointless having that forum in it's current state. I don't want to get rid of it, but that would be the suggestion I'm making if it kept declining.

I don't know. You ultimately end up with the same amount of forums (as I see it, you simply move the Entertainment subforum to the media forum) and the same amount of subforums. I see no reason to do this, especially because The Graphics Place and The Library are exclusively member-produced content when the Entertainment subforum is exclusively discussion of other content. Switching things up would accomplish nothing beyond making the forum look slightly different, unless I'm missing something big.

What will bring people in? :o

To the forum: I have no idea, from my understanding the staff have been working very hard on that. Forums for a dying game will die is all I'll say.

To the GFX section: The tutorial section was what got me into GFX to be honest, and now that's gone. I dunno how locally people will learn now that the big guys (Arro, Cook, Steve, etc.) are gone.

Competitions aren't going to bring in much to the GFX/Fakes forum. Maybe if people would want to learn (If Lonely is actually being serious), then how about a "follow the tutorial SOTW". Simply, it should encourage non-GFXers of the forum to follow a tutorial but produce their own piece (as in that most tutorials require you to use the image/render used in the tut, so the competitor would want to make an original out of the piece), and allow for the experienced GFXers that still remain (I.e. Zooey, Fatalysm, ect.) to be the judges of said competitions.

Just a suggestion since I see a steady movement for more competitions. The "follow the tutorial" could go in any direction if our focus is Graphic/Digital Media. I mean, we need to look beyond signatures or avatars if we really want more GFXers to rise or come to Sal's.

Prime example: I remember Planet Renders used to do LPoTMs (Large piece of the month) and SoTWs, using specific renders. Maybe if we were to expand our competitive views (Fake of The Month, Wallpaper of the Month, ect.) we could bring a more well-rounded GFX sub-forum.

We seriously need to stop rearranging, removing and renaming forums, it achieves absolutely nothing at all. I don't know if you guys have noticed but nothing good came from the other million changes that have already been made, new members didn't magically appear out of nowhere and it sure as heck didn't fix the activity problems.

Removing the RP room basically killed the little activity that section still had; removing the PK section subforum didn't fix anything, the section is just as inactive now as it was before the removal; the Old School forum everyone wanted was active for like a week, etc...

I really don't understand what's the point in rearranging the forums every two months, the forum works fine the way it is just like it worked fine the way it was before. The main problem is what Zooey pointed out - the game is nowhere near as popular as it used to be when the majority of us joined Sals. Another thing that doesn't exactly help is having a community that doesn't play RuneScape, only like 10% of the active forum members still play, if that many. Less players means less people recruiting in-game, less guides, less discussion topics, less events to keep the remaining members of the community who still play interested... basically less everything.

Sals has a few problems but the forum arrangement isn't one of them.

i dont want the forum to turn into a help lonely make a signature thing doe

idk hopefully im not the only one wanting to learn!

Everybody's just happy at least one person is willing to learn. And if one person can learn/do it, then others will follow :P

I'm not asking for rearrangement, people are getting the wrong end of the stick. I'm more looking for suggestions as to what can be done to an otherwise dying forum. Does it stay, does it go, is there anything that can be done.

We seriously need to stop rearranging, removing and renaming forums, it achieves absolutely nothing at all. I don't know if you guys have noticed but nothing good came from the other million changes that have already been made, new members didn't magically appear out of nowhere and it sure as heck didn't fix the activity problems.

Removing the RP room basically killed the little activity that section still had; removing the PK section subforum didn't fix anything, the section is just as inactive now as it was before the removal; the Old School forum everyone wanted was active for like a week, etc...

I really don't understand what's the point in rearranging the forums every two months, the forum works fine the way it is just like it worked fine the way it was before. The main problem is what Zooey pointed out - the game is nowhere near as popular as it used to be when the majority of us joined Sals. Another thing that doesn't exactly help is having a community that doesn't play RuneScape, only like 10% of the active forum members still play, if that many. Less players means less people recruiting in-game, less guides, less discussion topics, less events to keep the remaining members of the community who still play interested... basically less everything.

Sals has a few problems but the forum arrangement isn't one of them.

I think you're looking at the whole thing with a different perspective. Re-arranging and merging forums has it's downsides but on the whole it's a decent way to keep the forum up to date. You see it as killing activity that was there, I say there was little to none and any that wanted to create a topic based on what was removed could easily do that. If for instance, the graphics forum was removed, do you honestly think I'd stop posting graphics somewhere? Inactive forums are a problem and whilst nostalgia is a nice feeling, moving and repurposing the old ones is just a better solution to leaving a forum with nothing going on.

My suggestions to move forums and change different things was my own, because I like streamlining, clearly m'sier you are not on the same wavelength. But I will say, It was just a suggestion. All the things I post I don't demand anything. I'm putting ideas into peoples heads and obviously if enough people agree with me it goes without saying that the idea might happen. Is it always the right idea, possibly yes and possibly no, but It's not as if everyone went in blind on the decision, things get talked over.

It's obvious to me that anyone who is serious about graphics like that, usually has an alternative method of posting. All the people who want to learn about it go to specific forums, or they trawl places like deviant art. I just don't know where to go from what we have.

I KNOW PEEPS I KNOW WHAT WE GOTTA DO, WE GOTTA MAKE A CAR FORUM AND WATCH IT DIE LIKE MY DREAMS.

Inactive forums are a problem and whilst nostalgia is a nice feeling, moving and repurposing the old ones is just a better solution to leaving a forum with nothing going on.

Care to elaborate a little on why they're a problem? Is it because they make the forum seem less active? Because by that logic we'd have to remove half of the forum really, there other sections far more inactive and plenty with the same level of activity the graphics section has.

Removing the sections that see little activity serves no purpose, it won't fix any of the problems the community has and will end up making the forum seem ridiculously small and unattractive to RS players looking for a forum to join.

No matter how I look at this I can't see any benefits in removing or moving The Graphics Place.