Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Entrility

Ent's Mafia Bootcamp

Hey guys, by the suggestion of Tabt and a few others I figured after the last few games I'd post a nice guide on how to play, specifically for you new people interested in learning to play well on a casual level like we play at Sal's Realm.

If you have something you want to add, or have any questions, feel free to ask! I'll be updating this and adding to it a lot.

Someone teach me how hyperlinks work for the table of contents and sections and stuff! That'd be amazing!

Contents

Forward

Section I - Starting Your Journey as a Mafia Player

Introduction

Joining a Game

The Basic Setup and Roles

Basic Game Info

Starting the Game, Day 1: Basic Theory

Day 2, 3, and later Day Endgame

Replacing Into a Game: How to be a Good Replacement

Section II - Running a Mafia Game

Introduction

Role Variations and Understanding the Setup

Running a Game: How to be a Good Game Mod

"love-child" Games

Section III - Guidelines for Mafia on Sal's Realm

Forward

This guide is a work-in-progress which will tell you all about the wonderful forum game that is Mafia. Hopefully it will be nice and helpful to read for people of all skill levels. If there's anything not covered in the guide that you'd like to know about, ask! If there's something I wrote that makes you think "Wow, Ent's such an idiot!", feel free to say why you think so! I'm by no means an authority on the topic, just a casual player and fan of the game. There are definitely players around Sal's Realm who are much more competent than I am. This will be specifically geared towards Sal's Realm.

Section I - Starting Your Journey as a Mafia Player

Introduction

Way back in your younger days, you may have had a drama class where you played Mafia. The teacher walked around a circle and tapped on your head, and if you were lucky enough to be a cool role like mafia, or the occasional cop or doctor, it was a lot of fun! Heck, you could pretend to kill people! But if you were just a regular townie, it was kind of boring. People would randomly vote you just because, and you'd get lynched, and out of the game without much thought to it.

Forum mafia is a lot different. Here, we have everything everyone says in the game. It's all recorded nice and neat for you to read over. And, as it turns out, the more you talk, the more you let on about your role! We'll dig into that a little later.

A little info on my own experience, I started playing forum Mafia way back in the earlier days of this forum, around November of 2006 (certainly not way back before the new site came to being, but still back in the day). My first game was one run by Cow Queen and Adam?, a Death Note mafia. Of course, I played really terribly and managed to convince everyone else I was scum, despite being a fairly powerful role, a tracker! But that's alright - through playing I got better. Two years later, I joined a more competitive and intense site, Mafiascum.net, where again, I was a fish out of water. I got completely owned a number of times by super competitive and experienced players. But now I'm up to speed on that, too.

All this sounds really, really intense, but it's not - I definitely prefer the game on a casual level, where we have the happy medium between serious-competitive and laid-back fun. It certainly isn't the game you might have played in junior high!

Joining a Game

So, if you want to play a game, the first thing you need to do is find a signup topic. On Sals, they come around every so often, and usually fill up fast.

There is generally only one mafia game running at a time, and for good reason. If you want to play, PM the moderator of the game saying that you'd like to replace in. Read up on the game topic so you know what's going on, and wait to see if someone might need to replace out. You never know!

Find a signup topic, and type /in. Jokes are encouraged.

If there's a game going already, PM the person running that game, saying you'd like to be a replacement. Being a replacement is not a bad thing, it's actually a fairly good way to get later-game experience as a new player who might be prone to dying early on in the game. I'll cover replacing in more in another section.

The Basic Setup and the Roles

Now that you've signed up, when the game is starting, you'll be getting a PM about your role. Generally, you'll be either Town Aligned or Mafia Aligned. Quite simply, if you are aligned town, you win when the mafia are no longer around. If you're aligned Mafia, you win when only Mafia remains in the game.

A normal role PM consists of the following three things: Your Role Name, Role Info, and Win Condition. Your role name is obvious; something along the lines of Vanilla Townie, Cop, Mafia, etc. The role info is anything pertaining to your role that you should know; for example, if you have night actions you can do (like a kill or cop investigation), when you can do role actions, special role information, and anything else that might be relevant to your role. Your win condition is what needs to happen in order for you to win. Some common win conditions for Town and Mafia:

You win when only the town remains.
You win when only the Mafia remains.

Do note that even if you die, and your team wins, you still win! It is a team game.

There can also be third party win conditions, which can vary greatly depending on the role. I'll say more about this later.

Mafia games can have a lot of different setups. The amount of mafia members depends on the amount of players on the game, and the types of roles involved. There's a lot of theory on this around the mafiascum wiki, I highly recommend checking it out! Generally, when there are 12 players (a fairly standard game size), there are going to be 3 mafia. The general rule of thumb is between 3 and 4 townies for every one mafia. Once again, the other roles in the game, and the skill level of the players that might be taking part in the game, play a part in how balanced a setup might be.

Let's look at some basic roles, starting with the most common town roles.

Vanilla Townie - This is the most common town-aligned role, and one of the better ones. This role has no powers; players with this role can talk and vote during the day, and do nothing at night.

Town Cop - This player can talk and vote during the day, but at night, he or she may PM the mod the name of someone to investigate. The mod will reply with whether that person is Pro-Town or not Pro-town.

Town Doctor - This player can talk and vote during the day, and may send a PM to the mod at night to protect one player from being killed that night.

Town Vigilante - Less common than the other roles, but still prevalent. This player can talk and vote during the day, and at night may PM the mod the name of a player to kill.

There are plenty more, which I'll expand on later in the role variation section. Here are some common Mafia roles.

Mafia Goon - This player can talk and vote during the day. A Mafia Goon may discuss with his or her fellow mafia members at night outside of the topic (usually in a quicktopic) and may carry out a kill by PMing the game mod. Only one kill can be made by the mafia each night.

Mafia Godfather - This player can talk and vote during the day. This player has all the abilities of the Mafia Goon, with a few added bonuses. There are a lot of variations, but the most common one is that the Mafia Godfather, upon investigation by a cop, will return a Pro-Town result.

There are plenty more roles out here, but these are the basics. Basic setups will include most of these, but not necessarily all of them. In addition, a lot of game mods like to spice up the games by adding in special or more obscure roles. For example, on Mafiascum, there was once a role called the Flying Pumpkin that Shoots Lasers out its Tushie. I don't know what that role did, but this is just an example of how crazy game moderators can make their roles, if they so choose.

A basic setup will look something like this:

1 Mafia Godfather

2 Mafia Goons

1 Town Cop

1 Town Doctor

7 Vanilla Townies

Basic Game Info

Before you can play, you need to know how the game works. Be sure to read the rules in the first post. This is important! Really, really important! The rules will generally have all the important info pertaining to the game that you should know. Here's a copy of the rules I use when I mod.

1) Mod is God.

-God is all powerful. If you wish to argue, do so by PM (with the exception of faulty votecounts and similar).

2) Voting.

-Votes must be bolded, followed by the player name. For example, Vote: Entrility

-Unvotes must be bolded, and are needed to vote someone else. Player names are not required. For example, unvote will take away your current vote, regardless of where it is..

-Votecounts will be posted as frequently as I can get to doing them.

3) Deadlines.

-Day deadlines go as follows: Eighteen days with more than 7 players alive, and ten days with seven or less players alive.

-Night deadlines are always four days.

-Deadlines are always at 1:00 GMT (That's 20:00 EST, or 17:00 PST)

-Deadlines are flexible by up to one day, depending when I can get on.

-When a deadline is reached with no majority of votes, a no-lynch occurs.

-Extensions can be requested, and will be given based on the situation.

4) Prods, Replacements, and Inactivity.

-Prods are by request only.

-To request a prod, post Prod: Playername, bolded so I see it.

-Inactivity V/LA notices will be edited in below the votecounts - check there before requesting a prod.

-Three prods gets a player replaced, unless no replacements are available, or the player has been moderately active (subjective).

-Replacement order is flexible. Unless requested otherwise, inactive players will be replaced in order of who made it to the replacement list first.

5) Outside the Game Topic.

-No discussing outside the game topic, unless I specifically tell you that you may.

-No discussing ongoing games. You can still discuss games that have ended, though I'd prefer not.

6) Sportsmanship.

-You signed up to play. Play to win, don't ruin the game for others.

-Games are for fun. Have fun, don't be a jerk please.

-Quoting something I said privately (not in the game thread specifically) is not okay - paraphrasing is, however - use best judgement on that.

-Common Sense > all.

-Don't try to outguess the mod - that's not how the game is supposed to be played. You'll guess wrong, anyways.

-You know the rules. If I forgot anything, please say something. Intentionally using the lack of a rule I may have forgotten to your advantage is an auto-modkill. Again, play fair ;D

7) Misc.

-No special text, other than bold or italicized text, is allowed. This means no colors, size changes, or anything of the sort.

-<COLOR> is my color. Using this one is worse than using any other color. -NOTE: Mods will usually have a color of their choice. You shouldn't format your text beyond bolding votes and things directed at the mod.

-If you have the ability to edit posts, please DON'T.

All game mods have slightly differing rulesets, so make sure you read the rules before getting started!

Starting the Game, Day 1: Basic Theory

So now that you've got your role and a basic idea of how the game might be set up, it's time to play! Games will almost always start on Day 1. Most of the time, new players will say "We know nothing, if we lynch today chances are we'll hit town, and that would be bad! So, let's not lynch!"

A key thing to understand is that both sides have a main tool they can use to win. The Mafia has the power to kill at night, and the town has the power of voting for a lynch during the day. In almost all cases, voting to not lynch is a very, very BAD idea.

So, how do we start the game? Very simple: Be silly! Random Vote Stage, or RVS, is what we like to call the beginning of games. It's the time where you make up a silly reason for voting somebody, and see what happens. To be clear, you do not want to lynch here. The point of this is to get discussion rolling. Eventually, things will start to be not so silly, and there will be little things to discuss.

A key part of playing Town is to perpetuate discussion. If you see anything vaguely worth talking about early in the game, do so. Be aggressive! The more you have to say, the more other people will have to say about it as a result, and so on.

That being said, there is a difference between being aggressive and being scummy. Some Do's and Dont's for the early game:

DO:

-Use your vote. You can unvote later if you change your mind!

-Call people out on things that don't seem quite right.

-Think for yourself.

-Make your point clearly.

-Answer questions and respond other players.

-Throw in your thoughts whenever you can!

DO NOT:

-Self-vote. This is always anti-town.

-Vote for a No-lynch.

-Try to actually get somebody lynched right away.

-Overthink or overanalyze things.

-Talk about something more than is necessary; beat a dead horse; distract from potentially productive conversations.

-Give up on or ignore a point someone makes just because another one is being discussed.

<UNDER CONSTRUCTION>

Section II - Running a Mafia Game

Introduction

<ALSO UNDER CONSTRUCTION>

<ENT IS LAZY JEEZ SORRY>

Edited by Entrility

So will there be a mafia themed around joining the mafia and learning the ropes :confused:

Not a mafia game. I am disappoint.

Besides, why is this really necessary? There's already a mafia game wiki, and if you just linked it in the main post of a mafia game, or at least create a sticky and generate some general guidelines for games here on Sal's, I think its much better than just re-writing a guide.

Suggestion on what you should include if you carry out a guide:

Mafia Game Wiki

General Guidelines

Sal's Mafia Game Specific Guidelines

Do's and Don'ts

That and no new player ever linked and read the wiki. I know I winged it.

i read the wiki but i also read this even though ive sort of got the grasp of the game kind of

this is good as it has a lot of like, it has examples and shizzle of experiences and stuff idk i like it keep it up

I learned from playing epicmafia.com might be a good idea to link that so people can get to grips with the ideas of different roles and how to play. The games are really fast and are generally the SAME as forum games just less drawn out as everyone's online at once.

Good guide! I think it's not a bad idea at all because it has all the useful information in the same place when, say, the wiki(s) are spread across a bunch of pages.

I learned from playing epicmafia.com might be a good idea to link that so people can get to grips with the ideas of different roles and how to play. The games are really fast and are generally the SAME as forum games just less drawn out as everyone's online at once.

How fast?

Like half hour games tops.

How fast?

Ran into an hour long on last night. Some people take it real serious. However, there's a good community and you start playing with people from games you've played already, so friendships are made :D

Edit: Best part are the kits. Makes it that much more fun.

Edited by Gary Oak

How fast?

Ran into an hour long on last night. Some people take it real serious. However, there's a good community and you start playing with people from games you've played already, so friendships are made :D

Edit: Best part are the kits. Makes it that much more fun.

Haha yeah, some people try way too hard :P. good fun though! And yeah met so many nice people there, none of them are ever online anymore though so I don't play so much :(