Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sobend

How has Runescape affected your life

I think most of us have been playing the game for awhile now and because of that it probably has affected our lives somehow. I mean not in big ways like "I found my future wife when we teamed up and pjed Mahatma at edge" but in little ways. Also, don't do obviously ones like "I have wasted countless hours sitting down by my computer."

Here are some of mine. Most of these are very minor of course.

• I was the only person to know in my high school chemistry class that Iron+Coal=Steel :D.
  • When I was creating a new bank account the other day, I used my runescape bank pin. (Let's hope you never figure out what that is! It's got no money in it though)
  • Through Runescape I have ended up trying other Jagex games as well such as funorb games. I didn't play them quite as much as runescape though.

I'm sure I have more, but I can't think of them right now because they are mostly minor, but if I think of them I will post.

Here is a bonus one on how these forums (or at least two forum members) affected my life.

Years ago (mid 2006) I had to create a four letter password. I really had no idea what to put down so I just decided that the first four letter phrase that I could think of would be my password. For whatever reason that turned out to be yuan (from Yuanrang. Yuan is also a currency but I wasn't thinking in that way). After a couple months I decided that was too hard to type and I changed it to dani (from Danijerika who is now known as Arianna). I had to use that password/account for years but now I no longer use it. Sometimes I wonder what made me think of yuan before four letter phrases most teenagers would think of like "bbal" or "sexy" but I guess I was in a weird mood that day :P.

So go ahead and share ways runescape (or even these forums) has influenced your life. They can be really minor or significant.

Edited by Sobend

RuneScape is a job simulator. It prepares you for work in the real world.

The game is focused on grinding or what I like to call boring repetitive tasks.

You do stuff that isn't particularly fun to get gp, you spend the gp on stuff that is fun, repeat.

You might as well switch it out for a real job.

Seriously, what do you do at a bread factory?

You press a button to pour some flour, you press a button to pour some flour, you press a button to pour some flour. After a few hours your production manager will come and tell you to rotate, and then you'll press a button to cut the bread, press a button to cut the bread, press a button to cut the bread.

How about a job at the movie theater? You take the money, you give them a ticket, you sweep the floor, repeat.

Doesn't that sound exactly like woodcutting or mining or how you train the rest of your skills? Might as well earn a 1,000 real dollars per week rather than rack up the virtual stuff.

Don't get burned out playing RuneScape.

Edited by Igloo2

I g2g atm but many of us have probably have had problems with our parents because of RS (and games in general)

Playing RuneScape was my first experience in spending large amounts of time online and in an online community. Because I started out so young (around 11ish?), I think the negativity of being anonymous online got to me more than it would have if I'd started out a bit older. I think you can see the same thing (except on a much worse scale) in younger kids playing FPS games online who are a lot more aggressive and cuss more than someone their age would have ten years ago.

-I had NEVER heard of the word "tinderbox" until I played RS.

-I had no idea ( and for me to learn later similar to you!) that iron was an unstable resource and just like ingame would sometimes fail miserably.

-Same with you ..about the steel...

-Because RS was my first ( and still really ) only mmorpg I enjuoy to play I learned a lot of my current day slang from RS. So now I know all about those "rofl" and "lol" and "noobs" that you guys talk about.

Other thoughts:

-I think it has taught me also that some of your frist friends you meet will be your life long friends even after. Sadly most of my friends from RS have quit however there are still two of them I talk to daily on Skype even if both of them do not play we have kept in touch and enjoy talking with each other! Don't make the mistake I did and leave high school never talking to your friends again. Find them on facebook or whatever and get back into contact with them trust me you will feel A LOT better!

-I think somebody else mentioned this but it does teach you that life is all about routine. In a job you have to do the same thing day in , and day out EVERY DAY haha. My job level is 75. How about you? You just jelly!

-I also do have to agree with the other comment that was made about online gaming and parents. My parents (even when I was still in high school) didn't approve of me really gaming all that much and they still don't. It's something I have somewhat tried to "hide" over the years even though I am pretty sure my mom at least knows but it's my dad that really tries to cut into it.

-You know over the years the RS community...has well...changed a lot. I learned so much back in the day from other members who would be more than glad to talk with you when you were down, who would give you great advice. W e are like .. and as sad as it may sound...we are like another "World of Warcraft" now solely due to the age limits that most people are. Used to, there would be several adults compared to teenagers. Now though...it's almost all teenagers. That isn't too say you can't find the odd bird adult.

-As a "clanner" I think one major item the game has taught me is responsibility. Back in the day when f2p warring was huge I have ran two different clans and have learned how leadership, management, and even in the process have learned some html/php.

The most obvious one I can think of: I improved my English A LOT playing RuneScape and using Sals forums.

It is still far from perfect, but it's definitely much better than it was before I started playing. School taught me very little, only the basics really, before I started playing RuneScape and videogames like FF I was at best an average English class student. But of course I can't give all the credit to RuneScape, other games like FF helped a lot too.

Met lots of cool and interesting people... and that's it pretty much.

RuneScape had less of an effect in my life than games like Civilization and Europa Universalis actually, who basically made me a world history and geography ace.

And people say games don't teach you anything lol.

Edited by Micael Fatia

- Forced me to be perfect at English/grammar/spelling.

- Super fast typing.

- Took me away from reality in my younger years, got me through primary school.

etc etc.

RS introduced me to Sal's (ofc this is the same for everybody but still)

RS was my first MMORPG

RS gave me high expectations of other MMOs. Maybe high is the wrong word, but whereas RS is made up of a large amount of skills that are each as important as you make them, the average MMO is combat - not necessarily worse, just different.

RuneScape is a job simulator. It prepares you for work in the real world.

This is probably one of the biggest things RS has done for me, I'm always like- if I can grind a 99, I can do this.

Yea I guess patience is really the biggest thing RS has taught most the people.

Also, Merching and the Grand Exchange has taught me so much about economy that I don't think a real business man could teach me better

Those are really the 2 things that RS has affected me.

These are somewhat silly but:

1. First introduced me to online games/communities.

2. I learned 'lol' and other Internet speakz.

3. Brought me to Sal's (obviously).

Other than that, it's used up a lot of my time as a kid, but also helped me relax from tons of homework more than a few times.

I like the ways you guys are saying that grinding through Runescape prepares you for studying for tests or doing jobs, but to be honest it takes a lot more intellect to do those things even if grit is involved.

I have always wondered if we made xp applicable to real life situations how that would affect things. For example, if I wanted to study Calculus I would get xp from that and gain levels. Do you think that would give you more of an incentive or not?

I think the most important thing is that I've met a lot of people I wouldn't have met before. Where I live, I rarely talk to people who are not from the United States (a big and diverse country, but not a microcosm for the whole world). By playing this game I've conversed with people from every continent besides Antarctica, including places like Brazil, South Africa, and Russia in addition to all the run-of-the-mill English-speaking and European countries.

I agree with igloo2 in a certain way. The game has made me more patient. I think investing and using the ge subconsciously helps with some real world things. It stimulates the brain, thinking about what to buy, how much and what to do while I wait. Or maybe I'm just crazy :P

I also made so many friends that I still talk to and being a part of a community is awesome.

other than making me waste my time sitting at my computer, its made me much faster at typing, seeing as the only way to talk is by typing.

other than making me waste my time sitting at my computer, its made me much faster at typing, seeing as the only way to talk is by typing.

I do agree with this for the most part. I was already a fast typer but it was always a nice practice tool

I have to smile when I still get people stating I am a fast typer in game haha

Edited by Kaysie

Runescape probably made me a faster typist as well at the start but I don't think I have an advantage over anyone else right now. The implementation of the Grand Exchange (you no longer have to say selling XYZ over and over again) and the rise of social networks which I don't use too often probably has something to do with that.

I heard the song "We're Not Going to Take It" the other day and for some reason I associate it with some old clan (WG) video where everyone is yelling "We're not gonna take it!" right before a war (with the song in the background). It was a trip down memory lane right there.