Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Young Leo

Apple announces iPhone 5S

http://ca.ign.com/ar...s? main twitter

During an event on Tuesday morning, Apple finally unveiled the next iteration of the iPhone. As expected, the iPhone 5S carries over most of the features of the iPhone 5, but as is the case with every "S" model, there's still a marked upgrade in regards to internals and some exterior hardware. Namely, the iPhone 5S will include the A7 processor and an improved camera with dual-LED flash.

iphone5s1-610x404.jpg

The iPhone 5S will ship in three different finishes: "space gray," silver, and the previously-rumored gold. While there's only minor changes between the iPhone 5 and iPhone 5S aluminum bodies, the iPhone 5S also includes a redesigned home button.

The new A7 is the world's first 64-bit chip on a smartphone. According to Apple, the new processor is 40-times faster than the A6, and graphics are 56-times faster; the chip runs OpenGL|ES 3.0 like the newer Nexus 7. According to the developers of Infinity Blade 3, the iPhone 5S feels "five times faster" than its predecessor. The newly revealed M7 chip will work alongside the A7, as a "motion coprocessor," constantly measuring motion data from the gyroscope and accelerometer.

And thanks to an improved battery, we should see a nice upgrade in the iPhone 5S getting through the day. Apple stated the iPhone 5S will offer 10 hours of 3G talk time, and 250 hours of standby.

iphone5sinfinityblade-610x404.jpg

The iPhone 5 also adds an improved camera, even if the megapixels remain at only eight. A F2.2 aperture with a 15 percent larger sensor features 1.5 micron pixels and a five-element lens. The addition of dual-LED flash allows the camera to offer what Apple referred to as "true tone flash" to capture both warm and cool tones, especially important for accurately portraying skin tones. As previously announced, the iPhone 5S will ship with the new iOS 7 mobile operating system.

This story is still developing...

Oh, excellent. I was waiting for their next release of mass produced junk so that I can show my support for modern day slavery.

Oh, excellent. I was waiting for their next release of mass produced junk so that I can show my support for modern day slavery.

Cynical, are we? :cute:

The gold edition seems a bit tacky but w/e. Not an awfully interesting update but then again they have to do something I suppose.

Oh and the 5C is a thing, but according to The Verge it's not bad. The fingerprint scanner seems cool if it works properly.

Edited by reepicheep

As with every update: The 5S one is really cool and is apparently faster, but it would be hard to convince me to trade in my iPhone 5 and get the new one.

Cynical, are we? :cute:

Yeah, probably. I just really hate Apple.

Edited by Birthday

The gold edition seems a bit tacky but w/e. Not an awfully interesting update but then again they have to do something I suppose.

Gold Version for the Chinese (not specifically, but yeah, its a Chinese thing). Gold is a color of good luck.

Still disappointed in Apple. "Guiz, we have iPhone 5S. You can now scan your finger with the middle button, but still have to use the middle button like the old iPhones/iPods." If we want a faster phone, make a new one...

Lots of apple hate in here.

Fingerprint scanner is great. Last phone that had it was the atrix and it was TERRIBLE. If this is executed well I think we'll see much broader adoption.

Camera looks great, apple has always had some of the best cameras and recording video at 120 fps is pretty awesome, I'd like more phones to include that.

I'd like a higher resolution screen, though apple kind of screwed itself with the way their api handles scaling.

Overall pretty good, glad to see features that aren't just bigger screens and faster processors being added. No comments on battery life is worrying, though. Slavery comment was stupid, as if the other companies aren't as bad or worse (don't get me started on samsung...).

I'm honestly a little surprised, this is a pretty good upgrade over the iPhone 5. Whilst a 64-bit chip is kinda redundant considering there are no phones with 4GB RAM (and the 5S won't either, else they would say) it's nice to see Apple looking into the future and hopefully pushing smartphone makers to increase memory in their phones.

I'm honestly a little surprised, this is a pretty good upgrade over the iPhone 5. Whilst a 64-bit chip is kinda redundant considering there are no phones with 4GB RAM (and the 5S won't either, else they would say) it's nice to see Apple looking into the future and hopefully pushing smartphone makers to increase memory in their phones.

I don't even think we'll see an increase in performance from 32-64bit for a very long time as the ram limit has to due with each app not the phone itself?

Fingerprint scanner is great. Last phone that had it was the atrix and it was TERRIBLE. If this is executed well I think we'll see much broader adoption.

Great for the NSA :<

You mean the TSA! ;)

But no seriously I watched the video on this. Supposedly it's 2x as fast as the iphone 5. I find it hard to believe. It makes me scared the the ipad 5 is going to be a disappointment compared to the retina ipad 4

I don't even think we'll see an increase in performance from 32-64bit for a very long time as the ram limit has to due with each app not the phone itself?

It will allow the whole system to allocate more than 4GB of memory. This means you don't need just one app to use it, you can have a ton of apps running as well as the OS.

All my prints are already on file from immigration and driver's license. Plus I don't wear a tinfoil hat.

I'll probably get one. I'm sick of Apple being the only remaining company that offers high-end specs for phones under 5 fudgeing inches. I don't want a phone that big, and the "mini" offerings from other companies all have reduced specs in areas other than the screen size. At this point hand-feel and the ecosystem are the only things that really matter since this industry has basically matured.

I'll probably get one. I'm sick of Apple being the only remaining company that offers high-end specs for phones under 5 fudgeing inches. I don't want a phone that big, and the "mini" offerings from other companies all have reduced specs in areas other than the screen size. At this point hand-feel and the ecosystem are the only things that really matter since this industry has basically matured.

Nexus 4

(technically not as high-end as, say, the Galaxy S4 and the HTC One but close enough)

m5vqEW7.jpg

m5vqEW7.jpg

I excepted something more original from you shu :(

All my prints are already on file from immigration and driver's license. Plus I don't wear a tinfoil hat.

And now the government has a GPS unit with microphone and camera attached to your fingerprints on file.

It wasn't long ago that people were saying "the government doesnt spy on law abiding citizens. whadya think, that I wear a tinfoil hat?"

Who actually thought that? Everyone knew, the tinfoil hat is to "protect" the person, which it isn't doing. They already have everyone's full name, credit card, and address with any phone that has an app store, they already know all about you.

At this point it's not even worth worrying about security because you have none, so just enjoy the fingerprint reader for what it is.

Camera looks great, apple has always had some of the best cameras and recording video at 120 fps is pretty awesome, I'd like more phones to include that.

I'd like a higher resolution screen, though apple kind of screwed itself with the way their api handles scaling.

Overall pretty good, glad to see features that aren't just bigger screens and faster processors being added. No comments on battery life is worrying, though. Slavery comment was stupid, as if the other companies aren't as bad or worse (don't get me started on samsung...).

Its not that I hate Apple or the new iPhone 5S. Its just they can be a little more innovative with every phone they come out with. I mean, if you couldn't put it on the iPhone 5 the first time, why make a second one and improve the processor or camera or slight modification to make it different? Honestly, with the technology they had put into the iPhone 5s, they could've easily waited a couple of more years to make the iPhone 6 or whatever. If I want an announcement from Apple, it better be the next new product, not an upgraded version.

The good news is that by December all carriers should have it by then. Being Virgin Mobile here, I would gladly wait for the iPhone 5C if the price is right. Take it away Bob.

Its not that I hate Apple or the new iPhone 5S. Its just they can be a little more innovative with every phone they come out with. I mean, if you couldn't put it on the iPhone 5 the first time, why make a second one and improve the processor or camera or slight modification to make it different? Honestly, with the technology they had put into the iPhone 5s, they could've easily waited a couple of more years to make the iPhone 6 or whatever. If I want an announcement from Apple, it better be the next new product, not an upgraded version.

The good news is that by December all carriers should have it by then. Being Virgin Mobile here, I would gladly wait for the iPhone 5C if the price is right. Take it away Bob.

So which cellphone manufacturers do you feel are innovating?

I remember writing a rant on my blog about this, but then again of course they have to do this. If they don't have internals that compete with the other smartphone companies they're going to crash and burn hard.

Right now, Nokia/Windows Phones and the new Samsung Galaxy. Nokia creates situation phones so you pay for what you want. Same slick design, but different features to what you want. Meanwhile the Galaxy evolves into a different phone each time.

I mean, I really don't care about processing speeds (but kudos for Apple giving it the fastest processor yet for any phone), its a phone. I want to call/text/take pictures/get online/ect. I don't care how fast it goes, all I wanna know is what can it do. And iPhone 5S has clearly shown the only updated feature is the finger-print can for the middle button, but you still use the middle button like before. Its like calling it a new phone, but taking a step back at the same time.

Right now, Nokia/Windows Phones and the new Samsung Galaxy. Nokia creates situation phones so you pay for what you want. Same slick design, but different features to what you want. Meanwhile the Galaxy evolves into a different phone each time.

I mean, I really don't care about processing speeds (but kudos for Apple giving it the fastest processor yet for any phone), its a phone. I want to call/text/take pictures/get online/ect. I don't care how fast it goes, all I wanna know is what can it do. And iPhone 5S has clearly shown the only updated feature is the finger-print can for the middle button, but you still use the middle button like before. Its like calling it a new phone, but taking a step back at the same time.

So you're fine with being able to get online, even if it takes 3 times as long? :huh: I don't see how making it faster is bad. I mean, I can see how you're disappointed that it's not a whole new phone, but there are still some nice improvements.

Edited by cash money95

But that's why I stole theking's credit card.

Help yourself, I already have shizzlety credit.

Edited by theking1322

But just because innovating in processors and what not isn't your definition of innovation doesn't mean it isn't innovation. It has the first 64-bit chip of any mobile phone, and it's apparently 9 to 12 months ahead of the competition. The fingerprint detection is not clearly the only updated feature. Camera, internals, and so on.

The Galaxy line of phones and tablets has been innovative in gleaning design from Apple, giving users features they don't really need and half-ignoring the user experience. Don't get me wrong, I don't think that the Galaxy line isn't innovative, it's just that it's not as innovative as Apple has been. Rather than focus on making some really good features it makes a bunch of mediocre ones. I'd still buy a Galaxy over the iPhone, probably, but that's because I generally dislike iOS and the Galaxy is much more customisable. But in that regard it's to each their own. The Lumia phones have been cool and innovative, I'll give you that.