Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
error404

Card Fraud

I just got a statement from 2 banks, and around 700 pounds on each one have been subject to fraud - namely "Facebook goods". It has started in mid August, right up until now.

Now, here is where I am confused - I have never used Facebook to buy anything at all, I have never used one of the cards on the internet, at all, I have never had the card stolen or lost, and as far as I know, it has always been with me. I have never taken it out of my possession.

I've scanned my computer for viruses - none have turned up - not that that would matter, since I've never used it on the internet.

Have you any idea how this could have happened, and how I could have prevented this?

Straight out mail fraud is a possibility, check with your banks on whether you have ever been issued new/replacement or additional cards, & if so when.

Theres always a slim chance that they were foolish enough to have it sent to an address that might help, if they didnt fish them out of your letterbox.

Or you got cloned at some retail where they managed to hook up a data skimmer on the EFTPOS, but if its multiple accounts starting roughly the same time thats unlikely.

It's so easy for people working at restaurants and bars to copy the card while you pay for your order. When you give the card and they go into the back, bam they can copy it and now it's been stolen.

It's so easy for people working at restaurants and bars to copy the card while you pay for your order. When you give the card and they go into the back, bam they can copy it and now it's been stolen.

That only actually works with credit cards, right? I mean if my bank card was copied or even stolen, unless they had my PIN they couldn't actually do anything.

Nobody has to have access to your cards.

All they need is your personal information to open a card in your name.

It could've been a close friend or your own Mom who did it, a hacker who broke into a website that you use, or someone with access to your mailbox could've taken your monthly electric bill (assuming it has your payment information on it) out of the letterbox after you raised the flag and walked away.

It doesn't matter how it happened so much. It more important you get it taken care of. If you lived in the USA, that would mean putting a fraud alert flag on your account (so they can't do it again for 90 days), and disputing all the fraudulent charges. All credit cards come with fraud protection. You'll definitely get reimbursed, but it'll take work to get any blemishes on your record removed.

Edited by Igloo2

Never used the card in public at all. It was only for council tax, internet service, etc.

Nobody has to have access to your cards.

All they need is your personal information to open a card in your name.

It could've been a close friend or your own Mom who did it, a hacker who broke into a website that you use, or someone with access to your mailbox could've taken your monthly electric bill (assuming it has your payment information on it) out of the letterbox after you raised the flag and walked away.

It doesn't matter how it happened so much. It more important you get it taken care of. If you lived in the USA, that would mean putting a fraud alert flag on your account (so they can't do it again for 90 days), and disputing all the fraudulent charges. All credit cards come with fraud protection. You'll definitely get reimbursed, but it'll take work to get any blemishes on your record removed.

It was a debit card, and I live in the UK - I have got my card transactions cut off for now.