Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sobend

State of the site

So there's been a lot of good discussion up to this point. Let's start laying out some concrete plans. I'd hate to see this topic go by the wayside

What happened to your promise of strippers and coke once you became an admin?

I think letting regular members add content to the site would definitely help, as the system right now is fairly broken and gives little incentive to submit stuff as it's not going to be added anytime soon. And it's not like there are going to be many, if any, trolls who purposely deface the content because we aren't as popular as other sites. There should be some level of moderation though, such as requiring approval before the changes are made. This can be delegated to all current staff (DMs, Mods, Admins, maybe even a new group strictly dedicated to content?) and all they would have to do would look over the changes to make sure it's good enough and approve it. They won't get swamped with approval requests either, as I'm sure there are as many staff as there are willing [daily] contributors.

I think letting regular members add content to the site would definitely help, as the system right now is fairly broken and gives little incentive to submit stuff as it's not going to be added anytime soon. And it's not like there are going to be many, if any, trolls who purposely deface the content because we aren't as popular as other sites. There should be some level of moderation though, such as requiring approval before the changes are made. This can be delegated to all current staff (DMs, Mods, Admins, maybe even a new group strictly dedicated to content?) and all they would have to do would look over the changes to make sure it's good enough and approve it. They won't get swamped with approval requests either, as I'm sure there are as many staff as there are willing [daily] contributors.

If approval is necessary, that wouldn't be any problem, I think. Even if I would be too busy to actually put up guides I would certainly have the time to check a guide before it's published.

Sounds like a good solution for the guides problem.

I'm sorry guys, I feel like I've let you all down. I thought I would have more time for the site once I moved closer to work, and I very likely could in the coming months (winter + cold + wind + frozen mounds of ice and snow = not a happy santafish). But I know that something needs to be done NOW in the meantime. Whether that means bringing more people on to help with the site (which DMs+ have already been invited, and several people have accounts), or somehow converting the site into a wiki... well, I'll do whatever I can to make it possible.

That was sorta the point of the submission system on the site, although it's not quite "there" yet. You can submit updates to existing guides, but the interface is just a basic text field, and you can't really submit new guides. However, you can submit new items, and it's literally a couple button clicks for an admin to add to the database (or even update an existing item). That's where the submission system for content was headed, but... time constraints... :s

But yeah, it'd be nice to basically have the ability for people to click a "submit a guide" button on the site, and have a pretty form pop up mirroring our current set-up for adding content on the site, without giving access to the admin side of things.

I'm sorry guys, I feel like I've let you all down. I thought I would have more time for the site once I moved closer to work, and I very likely could in the coming months (winter + cold + wind + frozen mounds of ice and snow = not a happy santafish). But I know that something needs to be done NOW in the meantime. Whether that means bringing more people on to help with the site (which DMs+ have already been invited, and several people have accounts), or somehow converting the site into a wiki... well, I'll do whatever I can to make it possible.

That was sorta the point of the submission system on the site, although it's not quite "there" yet. You can submit updates to existing guides, but the interface is just a basic text field, and you can't really submit new guides. However, you can submit new items, and it's literally a couple button clicks for an admin to add to the database (or even update an existing item). That's where the submission system for content was headed, but... time constraints... :s

But yeah, it'd be nice to basically have the ability for people to click a "submit a guide" button on the site, and have a pretty form pop up mirroring our current set-up for adding content on the site, without giving access to the admin side of things.

You haven't let anyone down, everyone has time difficulties every now and then. We just need a solid plan to execute, especially when you aren't around. It's proven that content can get out without you, but you are very much the cog spinning the machine. I think if the labour is shared out in a better way in future, it takes a lot of the stress off of you. We definitely need a CMS with the capabilities of something like a wiki, but I do think turning the site into something like a wiki might not be the best way to go. Do we need to say within this CMS or will it be perhaps quicker and easier to move to something that already has the capability?

Efficiency! :D

LOOK BELOW everyone, if you don't listen to me listen to Adam, he's saying the exact same thing! He is also very correct. :)

we just need to provide content people can't find anywhere else.
Edited by Fatalysm

I think we need to consider moving away from the type of content you'd find on a wiki. It made sense back in the day when we had more people and wikis weren't as widespread, but now there isn't a reason to use Sals for looking up an item or completing a quest. We need to have a focus on commentary, and the Santasfish monthly was a movement in the right direction, but we as staff (and dms) haven't opened it up enough to regular members. The newspaper didn't work because big releases are silly and most of the content gets ignored. There are a LOT of opinion on the forum on what the current state of Runescape is, and having formal editorials from members of the site would make interesting reads for people.

I was probably too pessimistic in my views on the site. We still have a strong community, we just need to provide content people can't find anywhere else. We also need to put a bigger emphasis on events. Basically everything that highlights the community and the personality of our forum, which does not shine through in standard guides or databases.

Being honest here, I used the guides here starting out, but RsWikia was much more reliable with most things. There are definitely some strengths in the guides here, but I'm with Adam, the community aspect of Sal's is what sets it apart and has me still here. I'm not sure it's feasibly possible to get to the level of detail and amount of data the wiki has, just because of what it is.

Being honest here, I used the guides here starting out, but RsWikia was much more reliable with most things. There are definitely some strengths in the guides here, but I'm with Adam, the community aspect of Sal's is what sets it apart and has me still here. I'm not sure it's feasibly possible to get to the level of detail and amount of data the wiki has, just because of what it is.

It's impossible. We don't have the resources or the architecture to compete in terms of guides and databases. Instead of releasing a guide with each quest, we should instead comment on the quality and enjoyability. Have a bunch of people weigh in and give their opinions. Let's not regurgitate information; let's comment on it.

You haven't let anyone down, everyone has time difficulties every now and then. We just need a solid plan to execute, especially when you aren't around. It's proven that content can get out without you, but you are very much the cog spinning the machine. I think if the labour is shared out in a better way in future, it takes a lot of the stress off of you. We definitely need a CMS with the capabilities of something like a wiki, but I do think turning the site into something like a wiki might not be the best way to go. Do we need to say within this CMS or will it be perhaps quicker and easier to move to something that already has the capability?

LOOK BELOW, if you don't listen to me listen to Adam, he's saying the exact same thing! He is also very correct. :)

No, I really have. I sorta just disappeared for the last few months, making a brief appearance here and there and then disappearing again without much of an explanation. You don't have to be nice about it. :P

But yeah, it's going to be difficult to transform the site into a wiki (or even close to wiki-like), just because that's not what it is. Editing content is based on a set of permissions and roles, and as it is, only those with a CMS account can edit the content. Not that it's impossible, and it would certainly be interesting to try.

Moving to another platform/system would be... a nightmare. Getting the content itself into another system might be simple enough, but there's a lot of custom stuff making up our site. the item database, calcs, skill/quest lookups are integrated tightly with the CMS API. Even that requirements list on quest guides is dynamic - if you look up your character's stats on the highscores page, the level and quest requirements (well, if the quest tooltips were working <_< ) will highlight appropriately.

That's not to say this is not an option. Using something like IP.content could allow anyone with a forum account to edit the site's content. I haven't really looked into it extensively, but it's a possible solution if we decide to go down that path.

I think we need to consider moving away from the type of content you'd find on a wiki. It made sense back in the day when we had more people and wikis weren't as widespread, but now there isn't a reason to use Sals for looking up an item or completing a quest. We need to have a focus on commentary, and the Santasfish monthly was a movement in the right direction, but we as staff (and dms) haven't opened it up enough to regular members. The newspaper didn't work because big releases are silly and most of the content gets ignored. There are a LOT of opinion on the forum on what the current state of Runescape is, and having formal editorials from members of the site would make interesting reads for people.

I was probably too pessimistic in my views on the site. We still have a strong community, we just need to provide content people can't find anywhere else. We also need to put a bigger emphasis on events. Basically everything that highlights the community and the personality of our forum, which does not shine through in standard guides or databases.

So we should stop focusing on RS content, and move towards more opinion-driven content? I like the idea of complimenting our guides with commentary, but I'm not sure about doing a complete 180 and ditching what this site has been about for the last ~10 years.

So we should stop focusing on RS content, and move towards more opinion-driven content? I like the idea of complimenting our guides with commentary, but I'm not sure about doing a complete 180 and ditching what this site has been about for the last ~10 years.

I mean, the opinion-driven content is still Runescape content. It caters to our strengths and has us delivering content people can't find anywhere else. Our analysis and commentary is unique, but instructions on how to complete a quest can be found anywhere.

Adaptation is important for long-term solvency. What worked 10 years ago is not going to necessarily work today.

LOOK BELOW, if you don't listen to me listen to Adam, he's saying the exact same thing! He is also very correct. :)

No, I really have. I sorta just disappeared for the last few months, making a brief appearance here and there and then disappearing again without much of an explanation. You don't have to be nice about it. :P

But yeah, it's going to be difficult to transform the site into a wiki (or even close to wiki-like), just because that's not what it is. Editing content is based on a set of permissions and roles, and as it is, only those with a CMS account can edit the content. Not that it's impossible, and it would certainly be interesting to try.

Moving to another platform/system would be... a nightmare. Getting the content itself into another system might be simple enough, but there's a lot of custom stuff making up our site. the item database, calcs, skill/quest lookups are integrated tightly with the CMS API. Even that requirements list on quest guides is dynamic - if you look up your character's stats on the highscores page, the level and quest requirements (well, if the quest tooltips were working <_< ) will highlight appropriately.

That's not to say this is not an option. Using something like IP.content could allow anyone with a forum account to edit the site's content. I haven't really looked into it extensively, but it's a possible solution if we decide to go down that path.

Don't be so hard on yourself mate!

I think IP. Content is good but I don't believe it has the flexibility you need. The problem with moving everything is exactly the same problem you had last time when creating the website. It's not something we cannot achieve but if the content is intergrated that much that moving it would be a real problem I'd say we'd need to hold off on that theory. The last thing we want to do is get half-way through and never finish it. That being said, if it's do-able then there isn't a reason it wouldn't work. I like the idea of website accounts and the possible merge of forum/website experience but it's a daunting task.

It's a far fetched idea, but what if we just continued on making the guides and things as usual with a focus on improving content to a point where users can submit it easier via the websites and such. But this is the crazy part to that idea, what if we created another website as a branch off of this one, to focus on the more media heavy side of it. I don't see how that helps this website as much, but perhaps that website could be like a fresh start. Obviously throwing it all away would be silly though.

It's impossible. We don't have the resources or the architecture to compete in terms of guides and databases. Instead of releasing a guide with each quest, we should instead comment on the quality and enjoyability. Have a bunch of people weigh in and give their opinions. Let's not regurgitate information; let's comment on it.

I have always thought that quality media, reviews and that sort of approach should be integrated but I don't think we could ever get away from getting the latest guides and stuff. The problem with that is that whilst this place still could gain a different focus, you've still got what I imagine is quite a few users who will look at the guides. That should at least be a safety net, you never want to be outdated. If we can offer up informed opinions on the subject matter as well as guides and tips, we've gained the upper hand. (May need to check myself on who uses the guides, i don't have those stats.) Definitely we need to evolve and some big changes need to happen, but we need our "bread & butter".

I have always thought that quality media, reviews and that sort of approach should be integrated but I don't think we could ever get away from getting the latest guides and stuff. The problem with that is that whilst this place still could gain a different focus, you've still got what I imagine is quite a few users who will look at the guides. That should at least be a safety net, you never want to be outdated. If we can offer up informed opinions on the subject matter as well as guides and tips, we've gained the upper hand. (May need to check myself on who uses the guides, i don't have those stats.) Definitely we need to evolve and some big changes need to happen, but we need our "bread & butter".

Then we honestly need a dedicated team for producing guide content.

Then we honestly need a dedicated team for producing guide content.

I think it's a reasonable idea I don't know how everyone feels about it. My thoughts would be, have a team that is creating the guide content, but also can take in guides that the community is taking in. Making sure we keep up to date with everything we need, if there are items that need to be in the database the team already knows and would work on that. It's just having a group of people ready and available to create the content and help it get uploaded. We did have the database team and all that but I don't know what is happening with all of that.

I think that'd be a great way to supplement, but not replace our content. There's still people willing to write the guides, so there's no reason not to let them do it. The Santafish Monthly could easily be made the Santafish Weekly or something, where we publish a few member-generated content reviews at a time. I agree that we have a lot of very opinionated people that could put together a worthwhile read.

I don't think there needs to be a name attached to it. I think we could just release articles written by people as they are available. There's no reason to put an arbitrary time limit on it; just have a section in the website they go under.

I think it's a reasonable idea I don't know how everyone feels about it. My thoughts would be, have a team that is creating the guide content, but also can take in guides that the community is taking in. Making sure we keep up to date with everything we need, if there are items that need to be in the database the team already knows and would work on that. It's just having a group of people ready and available to create the content and help it get uploaded. We did have the database team and all that but I don't know what is happening with all of that.

The important things are quest and skill guides. As soon as a quest is released the team needs to get to work and churn it out as quickly as possible. Having their own forum would help this process and makes a lot more sense than the forums we had for salscast and the newspaper.

I think that'd be a great way to supplement, but not replace our content. There's still people willing to write the guides, so there's no reason not to let them do it. The Santafish Monthly could easily be made the Santafish Weekly or something, where we publish a few member-generated content reviews at a time. I agree that we have a lot of very opinionated people that could put together a worthwhile read.

I don't think there needs to be a name attached to it. I think we could just release articles written by people as they are available. There's no reason to put an arbitrary time limit on it; just have a section in the website they go under.

The important things are quest and skill guides. As soon as a quest is released the team needs to get to work and churn it out as quickly as possible. Having their own forum would help this process and makes a lot more sense than the forums we had for salscast and the newspaper.

To the first thing, yes to be honest putting a time limit on it is only going to mean that at some point it's going to fail and when it does, it's not quite legitimate anymore. It's easier just to say it's coming out whenever and when it does the people are interested in it. Also for people who just go in on a weekly basis to find the newsletter aren't going to know it's going to be there, so they need to keep coming back to check if it's there.

Having a legitimate setup for the actual content makes a lot of sense. It doesn't need anything arbritrary like pips or anything like that. The content just needs to be done. That's like number one. Also if we can get people seeing our guides first, that makes it a whole lot better for us. A lot of people will just come here is a guide is ready and available. Quests don't come out that often anyway, not in stupid amounts, so a group of people I'd say could easily get a guide out there in a day or two if they were active.

Totally agree :).

Edited by Fatalysm

To the first thing, yes to be honest putting a time limit on it is only going to mean that at some point it's going to fail and when it does, it's not quite legitimate anymore. It's easier just to say it's coming out whenever and when it does the people are interested in it. Also for people who just go in on a weekly basis to find the newsletter aren't going to know it's going to be there, so they need to keep coming back to check if it's there.

The Santafish would be the section of the website it'd go under. It wouldn't need to be "we have to release this every week," it'd just keep from having a bunch of small articles posted and allow easier indexing. I think (no clue really) that Jagex doesn't do more than one large update every week, so it seems like there'd be a peak in submissions at most once a week, that could be combined into a single page surrounding a single topic.

Or just random shizzle that covers more broad topics.

The problem with changes like that is that they are double-edged swords. The one Adam suggested may have both favourable (can attract more members if done right) and unfavourable (there are still people who use our guides even if not many, that would be forced to start using a different fansite if we stopped writing new and updating existing guides) consequences.

Is it not possible to have both? The communit has show willingness to write new guides and update content, I believe they just don't do it more often because it's demoralizing to write guides (especially guides of new skills or quests) that only get added to the site months and months later or end up never getting added.

We can have guides and what Adam suggested. Our analysis and commentary is unique sure and I believe it would be great to keep new members interested, but we still need something to attract said new members to our site and forums and I'm not sure just that will be sufficient.

tl;dr Use guides to attract members and opinion-driven content to keep them interested.

The problem with changes like that is that they are double-edged swords. The one Adam suggested may have both favourable (can attract more members if done right) and unfavourable (there are still people who use our guides even if not many, that would be forced to start using a different fansite if we stopped writing new and updating existing guides) consequences.

Is it not possible to have both? The communit has show willingness to write new guides and update content, I believe they just don't do it more often because it's demoralizing to write guides (especially guides of new skills or quests) that only get added to the site months and months later or end up never getting added.

We can have guides and what Adam suggested. Our analysis and commentary is unique sure and I believe it would be great to keep new members interested, but we still need something to attract said new members to our site and forums and I'm not sure just that will be sufficient.

tl;dr Use guides to attract members and opinion-driven content to keep them interested.

u didnt read all posts :[

u didnt read all posts :[

Ugh sorry lol should have read everything before posting >.<

but we are coming 2 same conclusion!! :]]]

I think if we are going down the route of reviews and media focused content, we should at least brainstorm some ideas. If we cannot think of anything then we cannot expect others to. Ideally what I'd like to see which I think could be plausible are things like:

Guide Reviews, written or video.

Quest Walkthroughs, perhaps individuals submitting different ones.

News content, with opinions filtered through it.

User submitted polls for individual articles/news etc.

The Santafish Newsletter

Video Commentary

I'm not saying bring the Salcast back, but if podcasts are popular, a RUNESCAPE focused podcast might work out.

I had a spark in my mind, when writing out some suggestions. I'd love a feature where if people are uploading masses of content, you can upvote and downvote as you would on reddit. To filter out the most popular with opinions and that sort of thing.

Something that was brought up before was youtube based content, like video walkthroughs for quests or difficult portions of quests. Any thoughts on that?
There is a big place for youtube content, I don't see a problem with it but It doesn't always tackle the issue of activity. A lot of people will watch Youtube videos on Youtube rather than watching it embedded here. That's not to say that doing it is a bad idea. It would be good. Edited by Fatalysm

I think the whole RS commentary videos show that opinion-driven content is able to generate new hits as well. I agree that we should focus on both, though.

Something that was brought up before was youtube based content, like video walkthroughs for quests or difficult portions of quests. Any thoughts on that?

We need to take baby steps. Let's not overextend ourselves. If we do a good job with written commentary and find we have other ideas that would be heightened by video or sound, then we can set that up when we decide it's worth it. Keep it simple to start.

I think another way you could put more personality into the site is to put more personality into the guides themselves. Make them humorous or witty. I did about thirty quests last Summer and I generally used both Runescape wiki and Sals. Runescape Wiki is pretty devoid of personality, while I (sort of) enjoyed some of the (sparse) humor here. Just don't make it obnoxious, ie stupid jokes in every picture some city guides have. I'm not suggesting you rewrite every guide to have this, but it's something you could do in the future.

It's definitely important to note, other platinum websites and fansites that are around the same size are doing about the same as Sal's. I do think obviously a lions-hare of users probably use the wiki and I'm not entirely sure but websites like youtube, reddit and other social sites seem to be benefiting from users and also seem to be doing well in the search rankings too. I don't want to diss Rsbandb either because they have a good website, but they aren't doing things like quest guides and they are not as active. I do think there is a link there. But the fact that they are still relevant without guides does prove you don't always need them. I think if we can bring user interactivity from places like youtube and reddit we'll definitely be on to a winner. With the whole commentary thing, we do need to step up our game but it's probably important to note that we need more that just commentary. Places like Zybez have those functions and they are wasted.

I think another way you could put more personality into the site is to put more personality into the guides themselves. Make them humorous or witty. I did about thirty quests last Summer and I generally used both Runescape wiki and Sals. Runescape Wiki is pretty devoid of personality, while I (sort of) enjoyed some of the (sparse) humor here. Just don't make it obnoxious, ie stupid jokes in every picture some city guides have. I'm not suggesting you rewrite every guide to have this, but it's something you could do in the future.
That's a really cool idea, but I do think it should just be down to the person writing the guide, or possibly just something that can be included later. As much as it would be really nice to have stuff like that, nobody here is that great of a comedian, I think a lot of the jokes would come up flat and having it as sort of a requirement would stop people contributing. Definitely as a side-note though. We definitely need a more informal way of presenting information in some circumstances.

We need to take baby steps. Let's not overextend ourselves. If we do a good job with written commentary and find we have other ideas that would be heightened by video or sound, then we can set that up when we decide it's worth it. Keep it simple to start.
Definitely this, if we set it all out properly and get perhaps 5/6 members just to focus on that at first, with others coming in to help if they want, then we can open up other opportunities for people to get other stuff done. It's not like it will take a long time either, it's just the safer way of doing things. Edited by Fatalysm