Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sobend

State of the site

Guide Reviews, written or video.

Quest Walkthroughs, perhaps individuals submitting different ones.

News content, with opinions filtered through it.

User submitted polls for individual articles/news etc.

The Santafish Newsletter

Video Commentary

I'm not saying bring the Salcast back, but if podcasts are popular, a RUNESCAPE focused podcast might work out.

I had a spark in my mind, when writing out some suggestions. I'd love a feature where if people are uploading masses of content, you can upvote and downvote as you would on reddit. To filter out the most popular with opinions and that sort of thing.

A Reddit style could be good. Because /r/runescape is usually just bad screenshots or /r/circlejerk-esque arguments. I would say we should have a content section on the website (possibly a subforum) with categories (quests, combat guides, moneymaking guides, monster/bossing guide) and separate moderators (or delegate powers to current moderators/admins). Then the most up-voted content by the members could make it to the main site.

Here's a crude mapping:

People with content -> Submission board -> Public opinion with up/downvotes -> Submission moderator pulls the most popular/quality posts -> Site admin/moderator posts content to website category

It wouldn't be as "democratic" as a wiki, but I don't think it would be efficient for the site to try to compete with Runewiki and appeal to the masses.

People subscribe to Runescape Youtube channels for guides and commentary that they can't find on fansites or Runewiki, regardless of the quality. A seasoned player would watch a guide on how to kill some slayer monster efficiently from a noob because they're killing Glacors better than you and because of the personal touches made by the Youtuber on the video. We could appeal to that large audience with text and video guides for pvm or money making. We don't have to bash our computers and have tourettes attacks after we die in the Wilderness (like some Youtubers).

But with such a dependence on the content submitted by the public and not have the weight of it all on the few, it will require motivation of the people that already do that kind of stuff to come to our site. I'm not suggesting we advertise for YouTubers, but what if we had a few (established or new) that regularly upload videos doing it for Sal's and their content is displayed on the website. It would draw in more of the Runescape community to Sal's and up-and-coming YouTubers would get more views if channels were aggregated into a fansite. Sal's would not be taking the credit for the guide, but just surfacing and introducing the content to the community that wouldn't have found it on YouTube among all of the low-quality Runescape videos. Not sure how that would sit with YouTube executives as a business standpoint but I'm not a businessman, just a 'Scaper who subcribess to YouTubers and finds their content useful. They do have imbed codes attached to videos, I'm assuming for reasons like these.

I am not suggesting that we should throw away what Sal's has already become, but to modernize to draw in new crowds.

Tl;dr Appeal to Reddit and YouTube 'Scape crowd by bringing those elements to the site.

Edited by Kamaswami

I'd suggest trying to recruit new members. I think this community would benefit from having more active people posting on the forums/ helping with guides and such.

Just my two cents.

I'd suggest trying to recruit new members. I think this community would benefit from having more active people posting on the forums/ helping with guides and such.

Just my two cents.

How would we go about recruiting new members, though? I would think that the majority of our traffic comes from people searching for guides, hence the decline in activity in RuneScape also affecting the site.

How would we go about recruiting new members, though? I would think that the majority of our traffic comes from people searching for guides, hence the decline in activity in RuneScape also affecting the site.

I think in-game would be the best opportunities for recruiting. Promote the great community and get people on the forums.

It is tough, considering the decline in popularity in RS, but I think it can be done at some level.

I think another way you could put more personality into the site is to put more personality into the guides themselves. Make them humorous or witty. I did about thirty quests last Summer and I generally used both Runescape wiki and Sals. Runescape Wiki is pretty devoid of personality, while I (sort of) enjoyed some of the (sparse) humor here. Just don't make it obnoxious, ie stupid jokes in every picture some city guides have. I'm not suggesting you rewrite every guide to have this, but it's something you could do in the future.

I was thinking about this. When I was a young chap I had to study for the SAT (alright I wasn't too young). The SAT for those who don't know is one of the two main college placement tests for those living in the United States. Most of the books were dull and boring but one book was actually pretty funny to read. It contained tons of appropriate jokes ex: It made fun of all of those nerds who cry when they don't get into the Ivy League of their choice. I thought that if we could implement something like that we could do pretty well. I didn't get this idea out until someone agreed with me though. :P

If Sals could play off this Runescape nerd stereotype I would definitely get a kick out of reading Sals. Hell if you did it well enough I'd probably read the guides for fun. But like shooter said if you're going to do that you need to do it well. That may be difficult.

Edited by Sobend

I remember years ago, before I joined Sals, I just read all the guides. I just went through all the guides, be it cities, quests, miniquests, minigames, you name it. Some guides were full of certain qualities the RS Wiki does not have. The puns, the sarcasm, the jokes, just made the guides very fun to read. Nobody seems to really care much about that these days, plus the RS Wiki is just so much more well known, plus a lot easier to navigate. Not many people know Sals is still a database full of valuable (if not more historical now) information. Take a look at the Ancient Magicks guide for example. Writing guides can be hard work, but is also fun. And the easier it is for people to write guides, then the more up-to date content the site will have.

This is just my two cents of course you can ignore it if you consider it jibber jabber =P

Edited by Army of One

I think for the site to not become obsolete we need to ditch the current format and make the website heavily community based, personally, the only reason I bother to stick around at websites is for the community. We need a lot more discussion and more people contributing and working together on guides, not just one person writes the guide and then everyone else gets to see it, although I don't think a wiki style sort of thing would be a great idea as it is too anonymous and easy to mess with. The secret to making this site relevant again lies in the forums, I'm not sure how we would attract members here, but it's certainly the way to keep them to stay.

I remember I was using an 07 guides video for a Quest and then the guy said that he used Sal's Realm because most of the guides were old anyway. I was like DAMN.

So it seems we need to, at first:

1) Allow more people to add content to the site

2) Solicit submissions for commentary on RS stuff

Number 1 should definitely be the first priority. I just submitted a few corrections and updated images to The Feud, and it took quite a while to have to keep clicking between pages to check the old guide/write the new stuff, quote the relevant places and make sure the mods understand what I want changed. Now I'll have to wait a considerable amount of time for those changes to even be published. If it were possible to just directly change the content ourselves, not only would it be a lot quicker but a lot easier and make me more inclined to keep updating things.

You need to realize that the way the website is run is completely obsolete in this day and age. Having a single webmaster add content is incredibly inefficient, and will never be able to keep up with a subject that is continually getting new updates. There will need to be some radical new changes if you want to make this site more than a gathering place for like 30 people.

I propose:

Put the ENTIRE current website in archive, and have the main page redirect to the forums.

Move the "Everything Runescape" forum above "Forum and Site Talk."

Create a "Guides and Advice" forum, and have all guides be put here, big or small. Allow anyone with over 30 posts to be able to create new guides.

Implement a voting system in order to have forum members rate each guide. Have the rating be visible from the index, rather than having to click the thread. Allow votes to be changed, for example if a guide is reworked after receiving feedback and becomes better.

Have the reputation system only count reputation points from the "Guides and Advice" forum, so that reputation can actually become meaningful (i.e. to identify those who are good at writing guides)

Edited by -Leaf-

You need to realize that the way the website is run is completely obsolete in this day and age. Having a single webmaster add content is incredibly inefficient, and will never be able to keep up with a subject that is continually getting new updates. There will need to be some radical new changes if you want to make this site more than a gathering place for like 30 people.

I propose:

Put the ENTIRE current website in archive, and have the main page redirect to the forums.

Move the "Everything Runescape" forum above "Forum and Site Talk."

Create a "Guides and Advice" forum, and have all guides be put here, big or small. Allow anyone with over 30 posts to be able to create new guides.

Implement a voting system in order to have forum members rate each guide. Have the rating be visible from the index, rather than having to click the thread. Allow votes to be changed, for example if a guide is reworked after receiving feedback and becomes better.

Have the reputation system only count reputation points from the "Guides and Advice" forum, so that reputation can actually become meaningful (i.e. to identify those who are good at writing guides)

As much as I love your reddit-inspired voting system and rating for guides. A forum is not really the best place to make the sort of setup we want. As Sal mentioned, it could work with an addon like IP.Content, but that in my own opinion has a fairly limited scope. You can run a website from it though.

Also as Sal mentioned, there are a lot of features that cannot easily be ported over, admittedly they would be fine inside an archive but think of that idea this way. People come to the forums for an entirely different reason than they do for the website. Whilst yes we want the community side to be a more integral part of the website, you will alienate the website users by removing the website.

Guides and everything else would get swamped and users (especially those ineffiecient with forums, wouldn't be able to find the right guides).

It's a very good merging idea, but the only way of doing it would be to disguise the fact that this is a forum. I don't think IP.Content is strong enough to do that effectively.

Baby steps...

As much as I love your reddit-inspired voting system and rating for guides. A forum is not really the best place to make the sort of setup we want.

Really? I've honestly never used Reddit in my life, so I find that mildly interesting.

People come to the forums for an entirely different reason than they do for the website. Whilst yes we want the community side to be a more integral part of the website, you will alienate the website users by removing the website.

While that sounds like a valid point, I really wonder whether anyone comes here only because of the website, when sites like RS Wikia exist.

Guides and everything else would get swamped and users (especially those ineffiecient with forums, wouldn't be able to find the right guides).

I'm not suggesting to remove moderation. Besides, a sticky could be used to sort and index everything.

It's a very good merging idea, but the only way of doing it would be to disguise the fact that this is a forum.

Why? The RSOF is better than Jagex's wiki, I've found XP-Waste to be perfectly usable for RS information without needing to register despite being purely a forum, and I've looked up help on TIF without even touching the main website.

If I'm looking for pure facts, I go to RS Wiki. If I'm looking for advice or guides, I'll go to a RS community. Most in-depth guides on RS Wiki are pretty terrible (unless there have been major changes that I was unaware of since quitting). Just look up any skill-training guide there.

I believe that attempting to cover everything is a waste of Sals' limited resources, when it is simply impossible to beat RS Wiki in encyclopedic information.

People come to the forums for an entirely different reason than they do for the website. Whilst yes we want the community side to be a more integral part of the website, you will alienate the website users by removing the website.

While that sounds like a valid point, I really wonder whether anyone comes here only because of the website, when sites like RS Wikia exist.

I'm not entirely sure on that, but I feel 99% positive there are others than visit the website that do not use the forums. We only have 10-20 active members online at any one time. It dips below to about 5 at certain times, and can go even lower. A lot of people just don't use forums. If it was only the people who use the forum, I'd say at this point we should probably either stop making guides, shutdown altogether or start fresh.

I'm not suggesting to remove moderation. Besides, a sticky could be used to sort and index everything.

It's not that, but thinking about it logistically, the good thing about the list of quest guides on the website is that it's ordered well. On a forum that isn't possible, due to your upvote/downvote system also because whenever you edit topics it edits the place of the topic. I'd say the best you could do to make the forums a part of it, would to have comments posted on the websites, get posted into a topic onto the forums. But that's not the same thing.

It's a very good merging idea, but the only way of doing it would be to disguise the fact that this is a forum.

Why? The RSOF is better than Jagex's wiki, I've found XP-Waste to be perfectly usable for RS information without needing to register despite being purely a forum, and I've looked up help on TIF without even touching the main website.

If I'm looking for pure facts, I go to RS Wiki. If I'm looking for advice or guides, I'll go to a RS community. Most in-depth guides on RS Wiki are pretty terrible (unless there have been major changes that I was unaware of since quitting). Just look up any skill-training guide there.

I believe that attempting to cover everything is a waste of Sals' limited resources, when it is simply impossible to beat RS Wiki in encyclopedic information.

You have done these things, but this is not necessarily the way other have and will do things. You're also talking about an audience of children/teenagers mostly. When I first came to Sal's, like many others I just used the website. I didn't even know what a forum was. I think the point I'm getting at here is that there is a reason that websites exist in the place of forums.

The purpose isn't to beat RSWiki or Zybez but to improve what we have so we can attract some new members.
Definitely not, but we should consider that there is a decent amount of users to attract from those websites, if we can offer them something different, then they are incoming traffic. Not so much competition, but we need to stay relevant above others. Also, I can't remember where I read this but apparently people generally only ever use 4 websites on a regular basis, I want Sal's to be in that statistic :D.

EDIT: Here are a list of websites that use IP.Content just to see what everyone thinks in terms of diversity. From what I can tell the pages literally run as well as your code is. So if you were bad at html and the like, the website might suffer. I'd be interested to see if we could port the website in such a way that we still have all our key features, but have the room to move the forum as a more integral part of it.

These are websites that use IP.Content

http://www.fm-view.net/home

http://www.invisionpower.com/

http://darkresistance.net/index.php

http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/

http://www.payday2.eu/index.html

http://www.talkchels...s/_/ashley-cole

http://www.heosforo.net/home.html

Turns out, it's not that limited in scope. I'm not sure it's got everything we need, but it's quite adaptable from what I've seen.

ALSO, don't stand around and tell me anything about Zybez and their forums, yes okay the website is run by Curse, who have a team of people to make sure content is created and that, but there is no reason whatsoever Sal's cannot have the same. It's depressing to just view their forums and see this. I'd say, no we haven't got the resources they have, but there is no reason for us to be lagging so far behind on this. LET'S ACTUALLY DO SOMETHING.

m86X8JP.png

JUST IN CASE YOU WONDERED, THAT'S LIKE 188 MEMBERS.

Edited by Fatalysm

Are we limited to just IP for our CMS system, I set clients up a lot with DotNetNuke, pretty good system and very customisable depending on your ASP skills, which if I remember right Sal can do.

Hasn't Zybez also been doing community based content since the beginning of time? It was either them or Tip.it that had great fairly frequent newsletters that were pretty fun to read. If it was possible to get the people who actually play the game to write some blurbs for our newsletter that could help. Right now it's just forum summaries and do nothing to attract new people. (they're great don't get me wrong, just not very good for new members. I feel like it may make the forum feel like an exclusive club?)

Edited by Zooey

Hasn't Zybez also been doing community based content since the beginning of time? It was either them or Tip.it that had great fairly frequent newsletters that were pretty fun to read. If it was possible to get the people who actually play the game to write some blurbs for our newsletter that could help. Right now it's just forum summaries and do nothing to attract new people. (they're great don't get me wrong, just not very good for new members. I feel like it may make the forum feel like an exclusive club?)

The forum already gives off an exclusive vibe all by itself. But I think you are referring to Tip.its community letters, which are always a good read, back in the day there predictions about updates and market movements was interesting to read.

Are we limited to just IP for our CMS system, I set clients up a lot with DotNetNuke, pretty good system and very customisable depending on your ASP skills, which if I remember right Sal can do.

I'm not sure what Sal currently uses, but of course we aren't really limited to what CMS we use if that was the route we went down. IP. Content just makes sense for forum integration, I imagine that if the CMS was good you could do the same features regardless. Biggest problem he still has is the dynamic content on the website.

I'd say just as a side not, this is why things like the newspaper and the salcast were not the right move. It should have all had a Runescape focus.

User reviews of the game would be nice. I'm not sure how many there are who would be interested in writing something like that, but your work would get posted on the site's main page and (hopefully!) many people would read it

For examples you could read a similar article from another site or some blog entries here. Helm Lardar's blog (http://runescape.sal...m-lardars-blog/) has lots of these. Here is a specific example (http://runescape.sal...ndoms-a-review/). I hope you don't mind me using your work as examples by the way, Helm Lardar.

EDIT:

Also

ALSO, don't stand around and tell me anything about Zybez and their forums, yes okay the website is run by Curse, who have a team of people to make sure content is created and that, but there is no reason whatsoever Sal's cannot have the same. It's depressing to just view their forums and see this. I'd say, no we haven't got the resources they have, but there is no reason for us to be lagging so far behind on this. LET'S ACTUALLY DO SOMETHING.

I love your attitude about this whole thing but I still wouldn't use Zybez as an archetype for success. I mean look at this : http://www.zybez.net...th_of_chivalry/ for comparison (not that one is necessary) : http://runescape.sal...f-chivalry.html

Of course we can learn things from sites but success is gained by putting out a unique product. You know this of course but I just wanted to stress that to anybody else reading this now old post.

Edited by Sobend

So it seems we need to, at first:

1) Allow more people to add content to the site

2) Solicit submissions for commentary on RS stuff

I'm not a pro web haxor or anything but I used to manage a site and wouldn't mind bringing my guide updates/guides I may write in the future straight to the site after review. Kinda like how I won the EOC guide but so much of the content never made it up and then HTML 5 came out and if I just did pic updates like I did with the HTML 5 guides, review would be less than necessary and we could've mainly focused on the new guides/content updates

Edited by TakerMayFire

I was fooling around with google trends of runescape.com and I scrolled down to the related searches part.

bo80.png

Ha! We are still a top related search. Ha! :P It's pretty tough to beat runescape.com cheats though.

50% of that is probably me because I don't have it on my favorites.

Would breakout be considered good?