Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
iToast

Connecting PS2 to Monitor

I am looking into how to connect my PlayStation 2 to my monitor, as I don't own a television. My monitor supports HDMI, VGA and DVI. I searched and found another topic about this which recommended a scart to VGA cable, but according to many of the reviews on Amazon these cables do not work with modern monitors as the signal needs to be converted. After doing a little more research, I found this. Now this looks like it should be what I need to connect my PS2 to my monitor, but I am a bit apphrehensive to fork out for it, as there aren't any reviews from anyone who has used it with a PS2. Would anyone here who knows more about this be able to shed some light on the matter?

Cheers.

Yes, you need an active converter box like the one you posted a simple cable will not work.

What you linked to is known as a Component (YPbPr) to VGA Converter. The reason you need this is because component uses the YPbPr color space while VGA uses RGB. You can read more about YPbPr here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YPbPr

If you have a decent enough computer, emulation is often easier.

Edited by FREEDOM

I ended up buying the converter box, but it doesn't seem to be working. :( When I put the cables in the correct place (green, blue, red) and (red, white), I get "no signal" on my monitor. However, if I put the yellow wire in the green slot I get video but it's just the wrong colour. Any idea what I could be wrong here?

Hm it should be working out of the box it's not a terribly complicated item, I just watched a walkthrough of that almost exact model on youtube. Might just be a bad one?

Turned out it was an issue with the PS2 - I had to use the yellow cable to get a display and then change the system settings on the PS2 to output Y Cb/Pb Cr/Pr instead of RGB, then switch back to the green, blue and red cables. :P

Now I just have to figure out why there's no audio. Interestingly enough, I can get audio my plugging my headset into the converter box, but can't get anything out of my monitor (it's turned up to 100% lol).

Are you using VGA to connect to the monitor? That only carries video. Does your monitor have a 3.5mm jack for audio in?

Yeah, it's VGA. I've connected the audio separately in the 3.5mm jack now and it's working great.

Thanks so much for your help! <3