Sal's RuneScape Forum

Being currently freeplay I would obviously support this (I think on old school I am stuck in the elf lands though :P), but do you think it would benefit Jagex to make old school freeplay?

Being currently freeplay I would obviously support this (I think on old school I am stuck in the elf lands though :P), but do you think it would benefit Jagex to make old school freeplay?

It would probably insert some needed activity. When I stopped playing it last Summer its activity had declined by more than 50% from the peak. That trend has probably continued. I'm not sure it would help out Jagex financially, as people looking for nostalgia would just play the freeplay version for a couple of days.

Edited by Shooter585

It would probably insert some needed activity. When I stopped playing it last Summer its activity had declined by more than 50% from the peak. That trend has probably continued. I'm not sure it would help out Jagex financially, as people looking for nostalgia would just play the freeplay version for a couple of days.

I think you've hit the nail on the head there. This isn't going to benefit Jagex financially or really in any way (except perhaps to generate some goodwill among older Runescapers). It'd ruin them to focus any more on '07 than they already have, because it shows too much of a divide in their attention.

Wait what

How does making Old School F2P force them to divide their attention?

We're talking about F2P worlds, not actually making the whole thing free right? If it's the latter then it'd probably not only not benefit Jagex but would likely be damaging. I'm sure they would lose a few paying members (people quitting current RuneScape to play an outdated but free version of the game).

Edited by Micael Fatia

Wait what

How does making Old School F2P force them to divide their attention?

We're talking about F2P worlds, not actually making the whole thing free right? If it's the latter then it'd probably not only not benefit Jagex but would likely be damaging. I'm sure they would lose a few paying members (people quitting current RuneScape to play an outdated but free version of the game).

Sorry, you're right, that made more sense in my head put that way. What I meant to say is that tacking on f2p to '07 would divide the playerbase more, which is not a good thing since they don't have infinite resources.

EDIT: Although then again if they do allow f2p oldschool servers might get more popular which increases membership sales. I don't know.

Edited by reepicheep

Wow, Free Access to Old School could be huge with the proper marketing ideas behind it. Free to Play as what has driven people to start playing this game and was arguably the key component to the success of this game in the long run. To not see it in a game such as 07 which has taken the shape of the community was quite crazy in my opinion.

There's soo many players going out and no new ones coming in...I wouldn't see the game is declining at any a faster rate than it would have otherwise. The fact that there are barely any new people coming in is the real killer right now.

Some may agree and disagree though.

Jagex's deal was if we get up to 750k votes free players would get to play OSRS however we have reached about 550k so Jagex decided they are gonna make it free of extra charge meaning that if you are a RS3 member you get to log on OSRS. Or thats what I understand anyway.

Jagex's deal was if we get up to 750k votes free players would get to play OSRS however we have reached about 550k so Jagex decided they are gonna make it free of extra charge meaning that if you are a RS3 member you get to log on OSRS. Or thats what I understand anyway.

Pretty much and it still seems pretty fair really. Sadly OSRS is mostly bots from what I hear

Pretty much and it still seems pretty fair really. Sadly OSRS is mostly bots from what I hear

Nice stats btw

A lot of bots got wiped out though recently. You can actually hunt chins freely to the extent of only having to compete with other chin hunters.