Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Luvandpower

Nonstopping multi directional force

I was thinking about this the other day and I could never come up with a solution and (I'm not scientist) but I assume it's a scientific fact that it isn't possible.

Have you ever let's say spin a chair one way and was able to spin the other way then? You notice how you have to come to a complete stop to be able to start the force the other way?

This debate is centered around "can you do it without stopping?"

No, in order to spin in the opposite direction a rotational force (torque) will be applied. If it's going counter clockwise (let's say, has a negative rotational velocity), the positive acceleration has to cause the velocity to be 0 (stopping the chair) and then it will begin to spin clockwise (with a positive velocity).

Been a couple years since I took mechanics, but that's the gist of it.

Edited by FREEDOM

No, in order to spin in the opposite direction a rotational force (torque) will be applied. If it's going counter clockwise (let's say, has a negative rotational velocity), the positive acceleration has to cause the velocity to be 0 (stopping the chair) and then it will begin to spin clockwise (with a positive velocity).

I think the main thing is that you can't skip a state in between two states, because that would cause some serious problems.

Thought so to be honest but like I said I'm no scientist.

I think the main thing is that you can't skip a state in between two states, because that would cause some serious problems.

you make it sound like it's possible? how?

but wat if its a quantum chair

Good point.

you make it sound like it's possible? how?

See the above :P I'm not physicist but I'm pretty sure that you can't skip between states at a non-quantum level.

Pretty sure electrons for one can skip a state, so to speak.

Right, but not an entire chair :P

Maybe the electrons comprising the atoms in the chair are actually part of the quirky 1% chance that they are not in the 99% chance electron cloud... IF that makes sense...

So we've got a chair made out of statistical improbabilities.

If it were to skip from negative rotational velocity to positive without going through zero first, wouldn't that be infinite acceleration? I'm not considering quantum mechanics since that is a little beyond my understanding.

If it were to skip from negative rotational velocity to positive without going through zero first, wouldn't that be infinite acceleration? I'm not considering quantum mechanics since that is a little beyond my understanding.

what you just said is beyond my understanding lol

No.

Unless the acceleration is infinity, it's always going to take a period of time to accelerate from negative rotational (ie counterclockwise) to positive rotational velocity (ie clockwise), and at one point within that time it would be at 0 velocity.

The larger the acceleration the shorter the period of 0 velocity would be, however it would always be there.

If the acceleration was infinite you'd come into another problem, mainly where a = F/m.

This infers that to have infinity acceleration you need either infinite force or the mass of the chair needs to be 0.