Jump to content
Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Luvandpower

Nonstopping multi directional force

Recommended Posts

I was thinking about this the other day and I could never come up with a solution and (I'm not scientist) but I assume it's a scientific fact that it isn't possible.

 

Have you ever let's say spin a chair one way and was able to spin the other way then? You notice how you have to come to a complete stop to be able to start the force the other way?

 

This debate is centered around "can you do it without stopping?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, in order to spin in the opposite direction a rotational force (torque) will be applied. If it's going counter clockwise (let's say, has a negative rotational velocity), the positive acceleration has to cause the velocity to be 0 (stopping the chair) and then it will begin to spin clockwise (with a positive velocity).

 

Been a couple years since I took mechanics, but that's the gist of it.

Edited by FREEDOM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, in order to spin in the opposite direction a rotational force (torque) will be applied. If it's going counter clockwise (let's say, has a negative rotational velocity), the positive acceleration has to cause the velocity to be 0 (stopping the chair) and then it will begin to spin clockwise (with a positive velocity).

 

Been a couple years since I took mechanics, but that's the gist of it.

I think the main thing is that you can't skip a state in between two states, because that would cause some serious problems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, in order to spin in the opposite direction a rotational force (torque) will be applied. If it's going counter clockwise (let's say, has a negative rotational velocity), the positive acceleration has to cause the velocity to be 0 (stopping the chair) and then it will begin to spin clockwise (with a positive velocity).

 

Been a couple years since I took mechanics, but that's the gist of it.

 

Thought so to be honest but like I said I'm no scientist.

 

I think the main thing is that you can't skip a state in between two states, because that would cause some serious problems.

 

you make it sound like it's possible? how?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, in order to spin in the opposite direction a rotational force (torque) will be applied. If it's going counter clockwise (let's say, has a negative rotational velocity), the positive acceleration has to cause the velocity to be 0 (stopping the chair) and then it will begin to spin clockwise (with a positive velocity).

 

Been a couple years since I took mechanics, but that's the gist of it.

I think the main thing is that you can't skip a state in between two states, because that would cause some serious problems.

but wat if its a quantum chair

Good point.

 

you make it sound like it's possible? how?

See the above :P I'm not physicist but I'm pretty sure that you can't skip between states at a non-quantum level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty sure electrons for one can skip a state, so to speak.

Right, but not an entire chair :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe the electrons comprising the atoms in the chair are actually part of the quirky 1% chance that they are not in the 99% chance electron cloud... IF that makes sense...

 

 

So we've got a chair made out of statistical improbabilities.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it were to skip from negative rotational velocity to positive without going through zero first, wouldn't that be infinite acceleration? I'm not considering quantum mechanics since that is a little beyond my understanding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it were to skip from negative rotational velocity to positive without going through zero first, wouldn't that be infinite acceleration? I'm not considering quantum mechanics since that is a little beyond my understanding.

what you just said is beyond my understanding lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No.

Unless the acceleration is infinity, it's always going to take a period of time to accelerate from negative rotational (ie counterclockwise) to positive rotational velocity (ie clockwise), and at one point within that time it would be at 0 velocity.

The larger the acceleration the shorter the period of 0 velocity would be, however it would always be there.

If the acceleration was infinite you'd come into another problem, mainly where a = F/m.

This infers that to have infinity acceleration you need either infinite force or the mass of the chair needs to be 0.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines and Privacy Policy.