Sal's RuneScape Forum
Shooter585

Public/Private/Home School

I just schooled you  

35 members have voted

1. 1. How were you educated? (grade school)

• Public school
    • Private school
    • Home school
    • Other

How were you educated in grade school (before college)? What do you think is best and how would you educate your children? If you like private schools, do you like Catholic/secular/Episcopalian etc?

I went to public school and I would probably send my kids there. I think homeschooling prevents children from having basic social interactions and private school is too expensive for the benefits (if there are any). The only exception would be if I lived in an inner city area where the public schools are sketchy, and in that case I would send my children to private school if I could afford it.

I was arguably never educated, but I went to public school and a pretty good one at that. In fact my public school was probably as good as many private schools. We were known to be pretty preppy for a public school, and even though I try not to be too preppy my wardrobe (even today) looks pretty preppy (a dozen polo shirts and khakis). So it was basically a private school without spending the money, that's how I consider it :P.

I would probably do the same with my kids. I would send them to a nice public school and where I would move would depend on how good the school system was. Unless you want to send your kid to Yale there is no reason to send your kid to a private school over a good public school.

Edited by Sobend

homeschooled

Depends entirely on the parent if you turn out like the stereotypical anti-social incompetent, but done right I think it's okay.

Pretty much every normal socially-aclimated homeschooler (I like to consider myself one) will never mention that they were homeschooled unless explicitly asked just because of the stigma attached to it.

I go to a public high school. All the other public schools around us have way more money than we do, and their kids consistently get into much better colleges than ours. Our sports teams sucks, we don't have the amount of resources or privileges that other schools do, and we're pretty unremarkable academics-wise. To make things worse, we have a gigantic private school less than half a mile away from our high school that regularly produces notable alumni. The only notable alumni we have is a guy who won The Apprentice once. That school dwarfs us in almost every way possible.

Buuuuuut our school community is great--we know we're shizzle, and that bands us together. Plus, our diversity is unparalleled by any of the schools that are paralleled to us. I looked at the demographics for my high school once, and percentage wise, they match America as a whole almost exactly. I'm exposed to so many different ideas, cultures, and perspectives on a daily basis.

Growing up in a school like this has shaped who I am. I'm more tolerant and respectful of others, I'm more humble, and I'm more sociable. I'd love to send my kids to the same school.

private, all day every day

Serious thogh, all my schooling has been private, even college atm.

I know some towns whose public schools would be a lot better than some towns' private schools. I went to a Catholic school that may as well have been in an upperclass ghetto.

Edited by TakerMayFire

I'm not completely sure about how it works in the States, but in Canada most people send their kids to public school unless they feel like giving their children a Catholic upbringing and/or some education a certain private school can offer. The schools I went to were mostly good, with my high school apparently being one of the top 5 in Ontario.

I went through involuntary indoctrination in state institutions.

They failed.

My brother briefly went to a catholic school (for two months literally) and transferred out because the quality of the school was utter shizzle, both figuratively and literally. The teachers were terrible and someone actually shat in one of the water fountains. Not urinals. fudgeing water fountains.

Edited by theking1322

I suppose private school. Indonesia only had Indo public schools and then back here in the Netherlands what I did for my last two years was technically private, I think? Actually, maybe not. Though we did pay a lot for it, I'm pretty sure they still got government assistance. But I'm not sure. Anyway, at this point public university, and I'm not even sure the Netherlands is big enough to have private unis :P

I'm not even sure the Netherlands is big enough to have private unis
You don't need to be a big country to have private universities :cute:

In Italy, most private schools are diploma factories and/or Vatican propaganda machines, so public schools forever

Also, inb4 Englishmen and their "public schools"

homeschooled

Depends entirely on the parent if you turn out like the stereotypical anti-social incompetent, but done right I think it's okay.

Pretty much every normal socially-aclimated homeschooler (I like to consider myself one) will never mention that they were homeschooled unless explicitly asked just because of the stigma attached to it.

Homeschooled reporting in. This is truth.

I've never volunteered that I've been homeschooled and every one of my friends in college has been surprised to learn that I was.

homeschooled

Homeschooled reporting in. This is truth.

I've never volunteered that I've been homeschooled and every one of my friends in college has been surprised to learn that I was.

People tend to think that - mostly because, while not all homeschoolers are taught by nutty parents, the vast majority of nutty parents tend to homeschool. :cute:

EDIT: I felt the spirit of Lynne Truss scream "PUNCTUATION!!!" at me

Edited by Arianna

I'm not even sure the Netherlands is big enough to have private unis
You don't need to be a big country to have private universities :cute:

In Italy, most private schools are diploma factories and/or Vatican propaganda machines, so public schools forever

Also, inb4 Englishmen and their "public schools"

What about Englishmen and their "public schools"? :box:

And you don't need to be a big country to have private universities but it helps :P Private unis won't get government funding so tuition is higher so only the richer kids can go, and the smaller the country, the less people, the less rich kids, the more each rich kid needs to pay.

Plus our public unis are pretty good anyway. They may not be Cambridge but I'm paying less than 2000 a year (excluding books) and I'm getting a pretty good education.

What about Englishmen and their "public schools"?

The term public school refers to a group of older, more expensive and exclusive fee-paying private independent schools in the United Kingdom, particularly in England, which cater primarily for children aged between 13 and 18.

Besides, 17 mio. people isn't exactly "small"

EDIT @below: Ministry_of_Silly_Walks.jpg

Edited by Arianna

What about Englishmen and their "public schools"?

The term public school refers to a group of older, more expensive and exclusive fee-paying private independent schools in the United Kingdom, particularly in England, which cater primarily for children aged between 13 and 18.

Besides, 17 mio. people isn't exactly "small"

British people are so silly sometimes.

Should be "how was you" just saying considering this is about education, but whatever it doesn't matter!

I grew up in the public school system. When I got into the high school years I dropped out of high school at 15 and got my GED. Was well worth it too cause it saved me from going to class all day and it also saved allowed me to enter college faster than my graduating class. By the time they was exiting high school I was finishing my semester before my last for my Bachelors.

I'm not completely sure about how it works in the States, but in Canada most people send their kids to public school unless they feel like giving their children a Catholic upbringing and/or some education a certain private school can offer. The schools I went to were mostly good, with my high school apparently being one of the top 5 in Ontario.

I went to a private Christian (non catholic) elementary school in Ontario, maybe they're not all that common though.

I also went to a private Christian school in the States for 5th-12th grade.

I went to a private Christian (non catholic) elementary school in Ontario, maybe they're not all that common though.

For us public schools are either secular or not, and non-secular schools can add religious lessons to a certain point. That is more or less the extent of how far religion is incorporated in non-secular schools though, at least from what I've seen. We have few Catholic schools but then we also have a relatively small protestant population.

For us public schools are either secular or not, and non-secular schools can add religious lessons to a certain point. That is more or less the extent of how far religion is incorporated in non-secular schools though, at least from what I've seen. We have few Catholic schools but then we also have a relatively small protestant population.

I think in Ontario you can choose if you want your tax money to go to non-secular or to Catholic school funding.

I think, could be wrong, but my mom told me that once.

I went to a presbyterian private school and ideally I'd actually like to send my children to the same school eventually. I guess it depends on how my life pans out.

I went to a presbyterian private school and ideally I'd actually like to send my children to the same school eventually. I guess it depends on how my life pans out.

Out of curiosity, are you presbyterian (or really any kind of Christian) or was it just a good experience?

Home Schooled. I feel exactly like Zooey does as well. After 5th-6th grade, my parents didn't even teach my anymore. I either went to a once a week class where I would get a weeks worth of assignments/material or I taught myself. I rarely tell anyone that I was home schooled because of the stigma that comes with it (anti social, religious extremist, stupid). Although, with my experience I have found that stigma to be somewhat true in a majority of home schooled students. I've been around other home schooled kids all my life and there are some fudgeed up kids in this world because of home schooling.