Sal's RuneScape Forum
Shooter585

Public/Private/Home School

I just schooled you  

35 members have voted

1. 1. How were you educated? (grade school)

• Public school
    • Private school
    • Home school
    • Other

Home Schooled. I feel exactly like Zooey does as well. After 5th-6th grade, my parents didn't even teach my anymore. I either went to a once a week class where I would get a weeks worth of assignments/material or I taught myself. I rarely tell anyone that I was home schooled because of the stigma that comes with it (anti social, religious extremist, stupid). Although, with my experience I have found that stigma to be somewhat true in a majority of home schooled students. I've been around other home schooled kids all my life and there are some fudgeed up kids in this world because of home schooling.

Co-op? Co-ops were the worst. I know so many homeschooled people my age and it's interesting to see how their parents are reacting now that they realize their kid can't get into college. Out of my "graduating class" (the homeschooling circle I was in) only a handful of us went on to higher education, the rest have no drive and are living with their parents still.

I went to public school as my parents wanted me to be an "average" kid and socialize with my age group. Public school is an amazing thing with experiences you won't have at other forms of schooling.

Sattern.

Home Schooled. I feel exactly like Zooey does as well. After 5th-6th grade, my parents didn't even teach my anymore. I either went to a once a week class where I would get a weeks worth of assignments/material or I taught myself. I rarely tell anyone that I was home schooled because of the stigma that comes with it (anti social, religious extremist, stupid). Although, with my experience I have found that stigma to be somewhat true in a majority of home schooled students. I've been around other home schooled kids all my life and there are some fudgeed up kids in this world because of home schooling.

Co-op? Co-ops were the worst. I know so many homeschooled people my age and it's interesting to see how their parents are reacting now that they realize their kid can't get into college. Out of my "graduating class" (the homeschooling circle I was in) only a handful of us went on to higher education, the rest have no drive and are living with their parents still.

Yes, but we didn't call them Co-ops. I was part of a kinda private school at home type of thing. We still had classes, we had sports, clubs and such, but we were all still home schooled, if that makes sense. It is the same for me as far as my "graduating class". I am one of the few that I know of that went on to higher education, and more specifically higher education at a state university. If they did go onto pursue a degree, they are doing so at an unaccredited Christian college.

I went to a presbyterian private school and ideally I'd actually like to send my children to the same school eventually. I guess it depends on how my life pans out.

Out of curiosity, are you presbyterian (or really any kind of Christian) or was it just a good experience?

I'm an atheist. I'd say it's a good experience. There's a lot of criticisms about my school that I have, but the pride and unique sense of community as well as the traditions that we have was amazing to be a part of. Also, it's the only private co-educational school in the region.

I'm not completely sure about how it works in the States, but in Canada most people send their kids to public school unless they feel like giving their children a Catholic upbringing and/or some education a certain private school can offer. The schools I went to were mostly good, with my high school apparently being one of the top 5 in Ontario.

Did you go to London Central? That school has a good reputation lol

I also went to a public school. I'm not sure if this will make sense but I feel that public schools have kinda bad environments. I can't really explain it but I just don't like it LOL

I mean that I like going there and such but I feel something about brainwashes

Still I find that going to a public school is cool.

AUDHDG I just can't eexplainfsaf

I'm not completely sure about how it works in the States, but in Canada most people send their kids to public school unless they feel like giving their children a Catholic upbringing and/or some education a certain private school can offer. The schools I went to were mostly good, with my high school apparently being one of the top 5 in Ontario.

I went to a private Christian (non catholic) elementary school in Ontario, maybe they're not all that common though.

I also went to a private Christian school in the States for 5th-12th grade.

Ohi fellow Ontarionian

http://ontario.compa...eport_Card.aspx

My school is 617/725 while Leo's is 1/725. 0.o

Edited by Aabid

Did you go to London Central? That school has a good reputation lol

Good guess :P

What school did you go to, we might have mutual friends

If somebody figured out what highschool I went to I would be pretty creeped out.

Yes, but we didn't call them Co-ops. I was part of a kinda private school at home type of thing. We still had classes, we had sports, clubs and such, but we were all still home schooled, if that makes sense. It is the same for me as far as my "graduating class". I am one of the few that I know of that went on to higher education, and more specifically higher education at a state university. If they did go onto pursue a degree, they are doing so at an unaccredited Christian college.

out of interest how do you get a "homeschool degree" where you live

here it is by doing exams for a jury which encompass the whole of the until 18year old standard schooling program (ready for higher education)

it is also the system 'private' schools use to get their people their degrees

although private schools hardly exist, they are only used to get people in a very efficient way towards their ready for higher education degrees in case they failed normal schooling or other reasons.

Edited by Egghebrecht

I've done some research and it appears that in Italy, while legal, homeschooling is subject to enough obstacles to discourage anyone from actually homeschooling one's kids (for one, the parent has to be accredited as a teacher.)

If somebody figured out what highschool I went to I would be pretty creeped out.

That's a nice shirt you have on, where did you get it? By the way, you might want to do something about the mold in the bathroom's window frame.

My school is 617/725 while Leo's is 1/725. 0.o
The comic sanssssss, it burnssssssss

here it is by doing exams for a jury which encompass the whole of the until 18year old standard schooling program (ready for higher education)

although private schools hardly exist, they are only used to get people in a very efficient way towards their ready for higher education degrees in case they failed normal schooling or other reasons.

I always find it interesting the culture differences regarding schools/ways to describe different schools. A private school here is just a mainly non gonvernment-funded school that charges high school fees, and in return you get a 'better' education (studies showing that students in private schools perform better). Here, a private school is really no different from a public school besides the stigma that tends to be associated with wealthy school kids. We operate in exactly the same way as a public school asides from charging people to attend.

I always find it interesting the culture differences regarding schools/ways to describe different schools. A private school here is just a mainly non gonvernment-funded school that charges high school fees, and in return you get a 'better' education (studies showing that students in private schools perform better). Here, a private school is really no different from a public school besides the stigma that tends to be associated with wealthy school kids. We operate in exactly the same way as a public school asides from charging people to attend.

yeah pretty much non existent here with our schooling system

up to 12 years old it's free as in books, pens, paper etc included free

from 12-18 it's very low cost (except if you need special tools like a knife set for cooks etc)

uni etc is around 550€ a year without books

all that is the max, for low incomes there are extra allowances or discounts

combine that with the high quality in general of the school system here and you get why private schools are nigh non existent :P

to be complete public schools can be from different nets

the catholic net and the general 'public' (language group based) net are the 2 big ones, aside from those you have local city level schools and special 'method' schools like steiner, usually only until age 12

government funding for the 2 big nets is exactly the same, for the smaller ones I don't know exactly but they also operate from government funds. I just don't know exactly how or which, and in Belgium you have a lot of governments...

Edited by Egghebrecht

Do you guys think private schools are actually better than public schools for education? In my opinion I think at least part of the reason private school kids generally do better than public school ones is because they (and their parents) are generally more interested in receiving an education.

Do you guys think private schools are actually better than public schools for education? In my opinion I think at least part of the reason private school kids generally do better than public school ones is because they (and their parents) are generally more interested in receiving an education.

Quite frankly, here (Italy) private schools are definitely worse than public schools: the vast majority of private-school-goers behave as customers, not as students - they pay (less than they ought), and expect to receive services in exchange. The service, however, in this case, is taken to be the diploma itself, rather than the education of the child. There are some private schools for which excellence is the primary aim, but they're few and far between, and usually offering college-only levels.

EDIT: PISA2009 data:

Reading: Public 489, Private 448.

Maths: Public 486, Private 446.

Science: Public 492, Private 455.

Public schools hover around the average of OECD countries: private ones are on par with Russia or Turkey, significantly lower. Test scores may mean little, but a difference of this magnitude is noticeable.

Edited by Arianna

I think the teachers may be better quality in private schools.The courses tend to be more challenging as well.

I have a feeling it has to do with comparative salaries. Public school teachers (below collegiate level) are paid very poorly in comparison to private school, so the more talented teachers tend to be bought out by the private school system. Public schools tend to get left with the subpar teachers.

It highly depends on the country and the systems they have in place. Having never gone to a public school here since age 9 I can't be sure but the 'private' school I went to probably wasn't significantly better. The standards of our public schools are fairly high afaik.

I think the teachers may be better quality in private schools.The courses tend to be more challenging as well.

I have a feeling it has to do with comparative salaries. Public school teachers (below collegiate level) are paid very poorly in comparison to private school, so the more talented teachers tend to be bought out by the private school system. Public schools tend to get left with the subpar teachers.

Actually, at my high school you got paid less than you would at a public high school. In addition to it being religious, the idea was that you would really have to love your work and your religion to work there.

Or something like that.

My school was pretty small (graduated with about 90 kids) so one problem was that they didn't offer a lot of courses. No AP Physics classes, for example. No computer science/programming classes.

Edited by FREEDOM

For me, I was enrolled in an "Academy" for home schooled students. The Academy functioned the same as a private school except that you only went to the school once a week. My high school diploma was issued from the Academy so I didn't have to take any extra exams to justify my education. Private schools, especially in the South, are mostly just public school alternatives that have a religious (Christian) focus in their studies.

In the US, you usually just have to report any high school credits to a local board of education for review. I don't know how it is for everyone, since my parents were particularly fastidious about following Florida's standards for high school students, but my diploma is an official Floridian high school diploma with my parents' name for their home school on it. My sister was put under Georgia's standards which are, somewhat surprisingly, apparently stricter.

EDIT: My sister and I both took the SAT and ACT, which are the standardized tests used by colleges for entrance.

Edited by Thomas Jefferson

Actually, at my high school you got paid less than you would at a public high school. In addition to it being religious, the idea was that you would really have to love your work and your religion to work there.
"My other workplace is THE LORD" Edited by Arianna

Yes, I think they're better. Kids who go to private schools are no different from those who go to public schools. They're not more interested in receiving an education, they just come from a wealthier background. I've gone to the same school for the past eleven years so I can't really comment on whether the quality of the teaching is better, but a private school obviously wants high performance to attract more potential students/parents. I know mine runs special programs for the students who were struggling to pass so that they could eventually do so.

Yes, I think they're better. Kids who go to private schools are no different from those who go to public schools. They're not more interested in receiving an education, they just come from a wealthier background. I've gone to the same school for the past eleven years so I can't really comment on whether the quality of the teaching is better, but a private school obviously wants high performance to attract more potential students/parents. I know mine runs special programs for the students who were struggling to pass so that they could eventually do so.

Eh, depends on the private school. The one I went to in Indonesia for four years didn't do that very much. Although then again, it didn't go beyond 10th grade because of a lack of students.

Eh, depends on the private school. The one I went to in Indonesia for four years didn't do that very much. Although then again, it didn't go beyond 10th grade because of a lack of students.

Not to be too off-topic, but...you were in Indonesia once and I didn't already know this?!

Edited by Thomas Jefferson

do you speak indonesian

I would contest this. I don't think on average this is true. It's not just the resources that determine a children's success. It's work ethic. Personally I think work ethic is contagious. The parents worked hard during their school years and because of it are wealthy. Now they can send their kids to private school. The parents then push their children to work hard and the children see what hard work can do (in the case of their parents). Thus they also work hard.

I'm not saying that resources don't help at all, but I think work ethic plays at least an equally important role in education.

I would contest this. I don't think on average this is true. It's not just the resources that determine a children's success. It's work ethic. Personally I think work ethic is contagious. The parents worked hard during their school years and because of it are wealthy. Now they can send their kids to private school. The parents then push their children to work hard and the children see what hard work can do (in the case of their parents). Thus they also work hard.

I'm not saying that resources don't help at all, but I think work ethic plays at least an equally important role in education.

Yeah I agree. Plenty of people have gone to crappy schools and still became successful because of an amazing work ethic. That's not to say there aren't any other factors, but I think that it probably the most important one, not the school.

That said, I think teachers can also instill a solid work ethic in their students, so maybe that and schools are related.

For sure, work ethic defines how well a student performs. However, are private school students more motivated? I disagree, they really aren't any more motivated from those who go to public schools. And I'm not saying that someone's background defines their success - just that private schools have been shown to outperform public schools due to their higher quality education. I don't see the people at my school as any different (motivation wise) from those I know who go to a public school.