Sal's RuneScape Forum
Shooter585

Public/Private/Home School

I just schooled you  

35 members have voted

1. 1. How were you educated? (grade school)

• Public school
    • Private school
    • Home school
    • Other

The parents worked hard during their school years and because of it are wealthy.
Uh. Well. I would contest this, instead. Comparatively few people become wealthy just from hard work - the vast majority of wealth is simply inherited (there are meaningful exceptions, but equating hard work during school with wealth is...well...unfounded).

The parents worked hard during their school years and because of it are wealthy.
Uh. Well. I would contest this, instead. Comparatively few people become wealthy just from hard work - the vast majority of wealth is simply inherited (there are meaningful exceptions, but equating hard work during school with wealth is...well...unfounded).

Okay, maybe it was a bit of an exaggeration, and we're also in different geographic areas. But I grew up in a pretty wealthy area and with exceptions to the ultra rich most of the people there were wealthy because they worked hard in school and got good jobs. People were either doctors, lawyers, successful in business, etc. If hard work during school was not equated with wealth later in life nobody would work hard in school.

I still strongly feel that in general private school children have (on average) more work ethic than public school children. Then again, I never went to private school but also not very many people went to both private school and public school.

Anyway, I think we can all agree that resources and work ethic all play a role into success, just a matter of what degree each one is up for question.

Okay, maybe it was a bit of an exaggeration, and we're also in different geographic areas. But I grew up in a pretty wealthy area and with exceptions to the ultra rich most of the people there were wealthy because they worked hard in school and got good jobs. People were either doctors, lawyers, successful in business, etc. If hard work during school was not equated with wealth later in life nobody would work hard in school.

I still strongly feel that in general private school children have (on average) more work ethic than public school children. Then again, I never went to private school but also not very many people went to both private school and public school.

Anyway, I think we can all agree that resources and work ethic all play a role into success, just a matter of what degree each one is up for question.

Stop making well-thought-out arguments that are agreeable! What are we, a My Little Pony Forum? Where's the blood, the violence, the mayhem? :cute:

However, I'd like to point out that children of well-off parents tend to be able to afford to give their all to schoolwork, while children of 'disadvantages' families tend to have to make do; I'm not even thinking about children having to tend to the house, hold mini-jobs like paper routes, keep an eye on siblings, or anything of the sorts - just having a helpful adult present and capable to follow a child in homework is a monstrous boost. Having tutored children in the past, I can attest that merely following them and correcting them when needed, without even much effort, is a massive help - it just needs time.

May it also be that public schools in the US are underfunded, and thus can't afford to tutor schoolchildren like they deserve to? An educator can make or break a pupil's work ethic.

Of course, I'm basing my analysis on - mostly - news reports and a distant perspective, so I might be very wrong.

Stop making well-thought-out arguments that are agreeable! What are we, a My Little Pony Forum? Where's the blood, the violence, the mayhem?

Have you not seen our discussions on who the best pony is? Agreeable my ass. (see what I did thar :cute:)

May it also be that public schools in the US are underfunded, and thus can't afford to tutor schoolchildren like they deserve to? An educator can make or break a pupil's work ethic. Of course, I'm basing my analysis on - mostly - news reports and a distant perspective, so I might be very wrong.

I've heard similar things, but I haven't been there either.

Some American public schools are underfunded, while some bad public schools are living evidence that throwing money at a problem is not going to fix it. I don't know if it is the same way throughout the United States, but I think public schools here are largely funded through local property taxes. If the property of the town is pretty worthless and there are no other sources of revenue available, then there is a good chance they will be underfunded. That said, I went to a public school that, by my estimation, spent more per student than most private schools do.

However, I'd like to point out that children of well-off parents tend to be able to afford to give their all to schoolwork, while children of 'disadvantages' families tend to have to make do; I'm not even thinking about children having to tend to the house, hold mini-jobs like paper routes, keep an eye on siblings, or anything of the sorts - just having a helpful adult present and capable to follow a child in homework is a monstrous boost. Having tutored children in the past, I can attest that merely following them and correcting them when needed, without even much effort, is a massive help - it just needs time.

Right, that too. I don't think any of us are arguing that all poor people are lazy and all successful people work hard.

I don't think any of us are arguing that all poor people are lazy and all successful people work hard.
Oh, of course not! (Though it would be fun if someone did :aware:)

I think public schools here are largely funded through local property taxes. If the property of the town is pretty worthless and there are no other sources of revenue available, then there is a good chance they will be underfunded
Thereby making the town even more worthless and on and on... :s

May it also be that public schools in the US are underfunded, and thus can't afford to tutor schoolchildren like they deserve to? An educator can make or break a pupil's work ethic.

Upvoted your whole post for the MLP forum comment, but I did want to address this.

Yes, US schools are hideously underfunded in the weaker districts. This is because some genius decided that we should fund local schools through property taxes, so schools in poorer communities are damned to be worse than those in better-off communities.

This is also how wealthy states like Massachusetts have school rankings that place them as world-class, but Alabama (bottom 10 in overall wealth) is outranked by fudging Armenia.

Edited by Thomas Jefferson

I'm not completely sure about how it works in the States, but in Canada most people send their kids to public school unless they feel like giving their children a Catholic upbringing and/or some education a certain private school can offer. The schools I went to were mostly good, with my high school apparently being one of the top 5 in Ontario.

Did you go to London Central? That school has a good reputation lol

Good guess :P

What school did you go to, we might have mutual friends

prob not but york memorial

If somebody figured out what highschool I went to I would be pretty creeped out.

LOL I just went on top ontario highschools

and the first one was london central

and ik leo lives in london (he told me)

done ez pz

prob not but york memorial

Yeah, you're right. :( I only know Toronto people that go to Marc Garneau (friends of my cousin), Martingrove, a few at UTS, and other people randomly around Scarborough, Markham, and Richmond Hill.

I personally went to a Catholic high school (granted, probably one of the most liberal Catholic schools out there, with over 50% of the student body not being actually Catholic), and it is far better than many of the public schools in the area. I cannot say that across the board private schools are better, rather that is really a school-by-school basis. In my area, the private schools just happen to be the better of the two.