Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sobend

What motivates you?

I thought I'd make a topic that asks people what motivates them to work hard. Does the prospect of a good job lead you to work hard? Do you work to fulfill your dreams? Is it something else? or do you have no motivation at all (in which case you can't motivate yourself to post here :P)

Personally my motivation comes from showing other people what I'm made of and what I can do. For some reason I've got this me against the world mentality. I'm not sure what it stems from exactly; there are probably multiple reasons. For one I was held back one year in school early on in grade school. I know this may happen semi-often in some countries, but where I'm from its rare. In my township probably 1 in 300 children got held back and with the exception of somebody I know very well I don't think I ever met somebody who told me they were held back a grade. I was infuriated when I got the news. It's like somebody telling you that you are too stupid to not just do badly but to even move up with your grade. So that's probably a reason and there are others too but I won't bore you with them.

I work hard so that I will be able to support my "maybe" future-family.

There are other reasons but I think that one gets me motivated the most.

Doing stuff.

Yeah, it sucks, but doing stuff motivates me. Taking that first baby step to doing something is the huge hurdle for me, but I'm getting better at it. Once I've done that, I'm motivated to continue or change things up and do something else.

In terms of schoolwork and subjects, this still applies - usually on a smaller scale. If I start off doing work - past Exam paper questions perhaps - I get in a rhythm and actually want to continue. It's that first little hurdle of getting going.

Oddly, while I have end goals in mind - a career which requires me to get decent grades in Physics and Maths, to achieve certain other goals, that doesn't directly drive me.

I honestly have little motivation. My motivation for doing assignments is not having teachers talk to me about not doing them because I find that very annoying.

Never really thought of this before. I guess I just want a job that I will look forward to going to everyday. Plus I want to make me parents happy (that is actually first and foremost) :P

The idea of giving my mom a comfortable live motivates me. She's always worked the hardest in the family and it's taken a toll on her body and mind--she's always stressed, always tired, with constant aching bones and tendinitis and arthritis... she's only 43. So I want to make enough money to give her a nice house and have people do all the cleaning and cooking and worrying for her. I want her to be comfortable all the time and to be able to relax and enjoy herself. She never gets enough of that.

And @Sobend, I totally feel where you're coming from regarding the "me against the world" mentality. I have that too. I'm Pakistani, which means I get mentally lumped in with all the other "brown kids" at my school--meaning I'm expected by my peers have amazing grades and be on top of all my schoolwork and extracurriculars. Well, my family has a history of major depressive disorder, and I was diagnosed with it at the beginning of my junior year of high school. I slowly lost control of my own life and headed down a spiral of depression and self-loathing, all that good stuff. My grades were lower than my self-esteem. And yet, probably because of the nature of the disease, everyone around me saw fit to blame me as a person rather than the disease I was dealing with.

In fact, due to the depression I had an attendance issue at my school (I was late to school four times in one marking period--I had trouble getting up in the morning and even when I did get there on time it'd be within a minute of the cutoff) and I was given a temporary loss of privileges. This meant I couldn't participate in any extracurriculars. I'm the Student Council president, so this was a huge problem for me. I was explaining to the principal that it was a result of the depression, giving her my psychologist's number, and asking her to please have the punishment taken away because I didn't feel that it was fair. Her response? "Well then maybe you shouldn't be the president."

Man, nothing in my life has incensed me more than that moment. And she wasn't the only example. People would tell me to get my shizzle together, get my grades up, and talk down to me like it's no big deal. As if I was destined for failure. My guidance counselor told me at one point, "You should settle for community college." Not dissing community college, but she was implying that I wouldn't get accepted anywhere else. On top of that, I had my own friends telling me to get my shizzle together as if it was an option for me. So now that I've put that terrible episode of my life behind me, and I can go to school and function in society and deal with my depression and be really productive, I've realized, wow, fudge those people. I'm going to work my ass off and prove every one of the fudgeers who kicked me when I was down dead wrong.

Edited by Samsara

There's a quote "You know they say you die twice, once when you stop breathing and again when your name is said for the last time" or something to the same effect, that's what motivates me to be successful, it's scary that at some point that there will be nothing left of you, you will cease to exist because no one remembers who you are. I know it's an inevitable thing but I want to be successful so that I'm remember for generations to come and never forgotten. It's probably quite self-centred of me but oh well.

I never want her to be comfortable all the time...

man i hope this was a typo

Uhh, yes... a typo. Not a Freudian slip at all :aware:

Edited by Samsara

@Samsara (A bit late, but who cares :aware:) it's a shame that mental illness is treated differently than physical illness. If you had a broken leg or some heart disorder instead nobody would have taken your extra curricular activities away from you.