Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sobend

Your favorite books

I'm not a big book guy, but I thought I'd make a topic where people could talk about their favorite books.

Here are some of mine:

Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea (Jules Verne)- A great adventure novel and my favorite book of all time. It's basically about a french professor who gets stuck on a 1860s submarine after the submarine has an accident with the ship he is on. It was one of the few books that I pretty much could not put down. It's Tom Clancy's favorite novel, so if you like him you may want to check this out.

Catcher in the Rye (J.D. Salinger) - I found the book during my senior year in high school when I was with my mom at the library. She wanted me to get something so I picked this out because a friend I had read it when I was a freshman. I read it right before I went to bed and then tried to sleep. However I could not get this book out of my head so I just turned the lights back on and kept reading until 2:30 on a school night. I found the first half really funny and the second half really deep and meaningful. I also read it when I was a similar age as the main character (Holden Caulfield) and just connected with him.

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (Mark Twain) - Another great adventure story, but this one is more than just an adventure story. Very impressive how Mark Twain was able to put so much deep stuff into a boy book. And I think I am one of the few people who actually appreciate the Tom Sawyer cameo at the end.

The Things They Carried (Tim O'Brien) - A bunch of vignettes about the Vietnam War. Probably the best book ever written about a war. Also imo it has the best last chapter ever written, although I have not read every book so its tough for me to say that definitively.

Cannery Row (John Steinbeck) - Great book about camaraderie, the non-Romantic love people Hollywood and storywriters always forget about. Just like the previous book, it has a great last chapter.

Edited by Sobend

I love the Chicken Soup for the Soul book by Jack Canfield. It changed my view in life.

Edited by FrankDDougherty

The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari is my favorite book.