Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Skiller

Pro(m)blem

Poor ol' Skiller has a prom problem, and it's the most stereotypical one in the books. Let me lay it down:

I want to take this girl to prom, however my good friend (nearly best), also wants to take her. Time for factors.

The Girl:

1. Very attractive, nice personality, all around great person.

2. ^ will say yes to anyone that asks basically.

3. Good friend of both of ours.

4. Does not like either of us romantically.

5. About 5'9", 5'10"

The other guy:

1. Good-looking, great personality, very charismatic.

2. Took her to homecoming, says because of that he should take her to prom.

3. Knows her well.

4. Does not like her romantically.

5. About 5'7", 5'8"

Me:

1. Good-looking, great personality, not as charismatic as him, but, if it counters, nice body. (excuse the self-centeredness).

2. Did not take her to homecoming (took my gf at the time), therefore I should get to take her to prom (he got a dance with her).

3. Knows her well.

4. Does not like her romantically.

5. About 6'5"

We both already agreed that this would not be resulted in a "whoever can ask first" way, nor in any physical or mental contest. We also would like to keep friends opinions out as they may leak it to her creating an awkward situation.

Note: I included height due to the actual dancing, just in case it matters. I tried to keep it as unbiased as possible, he's a great guy and everything, but so am I and we both deserve to take her.

Note2: She's not an object and obviously can go with whomever she wants, however the way we've looked at it, we're the only two asking her. Off that, the whole "you took to homecoming" thing may seem shallow, but it is an important factor regardless. Just know we both see her as much more than pretty arm candy or whatever people label it these days.

EDITED NOTE: After the first few comments I realized I left out an important fact. We both have ended things with our old girls that could have possibly been other date options. He has a junior that really wants to go, however she is like his sister to him, and while I think it should be still be considered, he insists he couldn't. I have no other options, due to the way our prom thing was set up; the group was created on facebook of the 18 people who are all sharing a room. Everyone else is settled, or basically already planned out.

Prom isn't until May 17th so we have some time (going to ask around mid-late March).

Please discuss and help us!!

Edited by The Skiller

Well if he went out with her to homecoming, maybe you should be able to go out with her for prom, makes sense to me.

PROMA!!!

Haha, good times. Anyway, like Shooter said it's your turn now. The only reason why you shouldn't have a go is because there is a close second option for you and he has no second option. If I were the guy, I'm not sure why I would want to go with somebody taller than me anyway. For my prom I went with the one girl in school who was taller than me; it felt strange. But then again many people marry women who are taller than they are.

I thought you needed someone to make you promethium armor in a dungeon. Boy was I wrong.

If its nothing more than who has to find another (unknown) date, no major personal feelings etc ( as you indicate above) a simple competiton should settle it.

I recommend agreeing on a pure random decider. If it becomes a fitness/game skill sort of thing where arguements about the odds being stacked could arise, they probably will @ inconvenient times so avoid that, toss a coin 1 spin - no best ofs - & the winner asks her.

It sounds cheap, but theres no loading the decision & gets things sorted quickly, & will give you or him more time to look for an alternative with no "what ifs" hanging in the back of your minds.

I recommend agreeing on a pure random decider. If it becomes a fitness/game skill sort of thing where arguements about the odds being stacked could arise, they probably will @ inconvenient times so avoid that, toss a coin 1 spin - no best ofs - & the winner asks her.

But I want to take her, I don't want to leave it to chance. I know that's unfair to him, but I am rather determined.

The whole he took to homecoming so I take to prom thing is my strong argument, and he really has no counter for it except the reverse (he takes her cause he already did). He is a stubborn man when it comes to giving in or handing off or whatever. I'm honestly stuck, if I get too into it he'll use that against me somehow to get me to cave or something, but I believe I have reason why I should ask.

I would just tell him that he's being a jerk by hogging this pretty girl. Say it in a nicer way than that, but get the message across.

Agreed, it's your turn now. And if he has a problem with that, aim for his kneecaps. He won't be going to any prom anytime soon after that. :wink:

:box:

you should video tape each of yourselves dancing to enya's "Only Time" so that we can judge the better dancer. I don't know how you expect us to make an informed decision without that information.

Edited by heb0

How should I approach telling him my stance? A firm, definitive statement with backing points, or just explaining the situation clearly but not aggressively.

Come to think of it, a combination of those two would be pretty great.

How should I approach telling him my stance? A firm, definitive statement with backing points, or just explaining the situation clearly but not aggressively.

Come to think of it, a combination of those two would be pretty great.

Definitely a PowerPoint presentation. Get creative with the screen transitions, too; let him know that you really feel it. Feel free to add some silly ones too, to ease the tension.

Take your friend to prom instead of some silly girl

This is actually an excellent point. People will chuckle at you two and then they won't care and then you won't have to bother with anything anymore.

May the best man win. Let her choose. A real man would see that as a fair compromise.

Though, you should really do in in a subtle way instead of presenting yourselves in front of her like two mystery boxes on a game show.

Edited by Phoenix Rider

2 things to keep in mind:

1/ Sometime you have to stop placing your needs after those of your friends for fear of hurting them or you'll end up single for the rest of your life...

2/ this is not a toy but a real person, she probably would like to choose too...

so go for it but don't feel too bad when she says no

if you don't play you can never win

Edited by Egghebrecht

you should challenge him to a 1v1 deathmatch in the wilderness

because he's definitely gonna win that. (he's a skiller, read the name!!)

May the best man win. Let her choose. A real man would see that as a fair compromise.

Put the pressure on her instead of yourself? Sounds like a bad idea to me.

Just ask her out first. Nothing wrong with that. You took the initiative first instead of making this an ethical debate. Classic example: 5 of my friends all wanted to ask the same girl to prom, so they decided to draw straws. Friend #6 enters the picture and just goes up and asks her and she says yes. Friends 1-5 now ponder why they just didn't do what he did.

If it ends up into a whole "bro wtf why u do that, i took her to homecoming therefore i take her to prom", just say "Well I asked first, she said yes, end of discussion."

Sometimes, the "bro code" needs to be put aside for your own good.

Isn't the whole point of taking a date somewhere that you're romantically interested in each other?

Isn't the whole point of taking a date somewhere that you're romantically interested in each other?

I suppose so, but not very many people treat it that way. I've never gone the romantic route (I find dance music these days to be very unromantic) but I'm guessing that it would just put a ton of pressure on yourself and make a situation that is supposed to be fun... not fun.

Where I went to school, the majority of people were not in any relationship, but the majority still went to prom. I didn't even want to go myself, but I went anyway because I didn't want to feel like a loser. Honestly it is a waste of $300 for most people. At most it is a rite of passage for finishing high school.

#1I have best idea.

You let him take her to prom.

And you take his "junior" to prom. That way he doesn't have to take his "sister" out and you also have a date.

Problemo solved.

#2. Go up to her and ask her before he does gg

#3. At this time someone is asking her out so this Pro(m)blem doesn't matter anymore.