Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Big Black Spook

A Great Idea On How To Get New People In The Forum

The reason why he got that bad rep is because he goes in calling us delusional fanboys and doesn't always make the soundest arguments. And considering he came here to tell us that Runescape sucks I'm not sure he is our targeted audience.

Edited by Sobend

He got that warning because he goes in calling us delusional fanboys and doesn't always make the soundest arguments. And considering he came here to tell us that Runescape sucks I'm not sure he is our targeted audience.

I'm assuming you mean his reputation not a warning but if you just accidentally let the cat out of the DM forum bag there that's hilarious

I did mean reputation, but he also states he was warned in the topic page 7. In the previous post, I was going to say something like "So do you think we also should abstain from warning new members" but I decided not to. I had a brain mistake and instead of bad reputation I said warning. This was not a DM forum leak. He was (most likely) warned for flaming (illogical arguments are not warnable offenses.)

Nothing of any serious importance goes on in the DM forums. Or at least something as important as warning people. Trust me.

Edited by Sobend

This isn't something anybody has much control over, so it's hardly worth bringing up. But he acts like a pompous jerk at times, which is why he is disliked. He probably doesn't deserve -20, but he's far from a stereotypical nice guy. At any rate, this forum does not cater to people who dislike Runescape, so I don't really see how this is a bad trend.

Member for less than 2 weeks and he barely has twice as many posts as he has negative rep.

You're right, he should really have at least a 1:1 ratio. We'll get right on that.

Member for less than 2 weeks and he barely has twice as many posts as he has negative rep.

You're right, he should really have at least a 1:1 ratio. We'll get right on that.

Systematically downvoting a person is against the rules here.

He is not systematically getting downvoted. He is saying a bunch of things people find illogical or offensive and they downvote it. Trust me; I was all up in arms when Aabid was getting downvoted. This is not the same.

Systematically downvoting offensive posts is what negative reputation is there for.

He is not systematically getting downvoted. He is saying a bunch of things people find illogical or offensive and they downvote it. Trust me; I was all up in arms when Aabid was getting downvoted. This is not the same.

How is Mohorak suggesting that NoSouls deserves a 1:1 ratio of posts to downvotes not systemically downvoting?

How is Mohorak suggesting that NoSouls deserves a 1:1 ratio of posts to downvotes not systemically downvoting?

You'd have to ask him, but I'm pretty sure it was a joke.

Not every one of NoSouls' post is being downvoted. Only the ones that flame/present illogical arguments.

You'd have to ask him, but I'm pretty sure it was a joke.

Not every one of NoSouls' post is being downvoted. Only the ones that flame/present illogical arguments.

I never claimed that he was being systematically I downvoted. I responded saying that claiming a 1:1 ratio is what he deserves is systematically downvoting.

SHUN THE NON-BELIEVER SHUNNNNNNNNNNN

But seriously, its whatever with the up and down votes. The up and down votes shouldn't hurt a member's feelings.

I don't really understand what people are doing wrong here. Everybody treated him fine until he starts calling us delusional fanboys, not "true gamers", and that we have little technological concept of anything. I thought the downvote system (which I am against) was supposed to keep people from doing that.

I find it ironic that even topics about him start to get a little heated. And also about 100% more forum activity than the rest put together. We need more people like him.

And about downvoting doing the opposite of encouraging people to the forums, let me put it like this -

You and your friends are only a really small group, and you decide you want to go out and make some new friends. You find someone and begin talking to them, and he starts calling you delusional fanboys and you logic makes him sick (props to my man KAMIL) and yah de yah de yah. Are you gonna induct this person into your group? No! Why would you? If someone is being a (word I won't say here), you either let them know about it, or just walk off. I'm not saying starting fights is good but you shouldn't just sit there and take all the insults they throw at you.

Edited by Army of One

he barely has twice as many posts as he has negative rep.

I'm sure the content in his posts has something to do with that. Heck, just look at his quote in my sig!

Also I'm pretty sure we don't want people who spout illogical arguments, refuse to listen to anyone else, flame other members, and call them scum or stupid or fanboys.

I think he was partially right in the last couple of pages, but I guess that just proves how he isn't willing to debate calmly. But to be fair, it takes two to tango. If he calls you a delusional fanboy, you don't have to elevate the tension/encourage more of it.

But Kamil your signature made me laugh :P

tell aabid about it!!

Here at Sal's there is no disagreeing because that makes members sad.

I went and found the old thread about removing the downvote system and picked out some quotes that seem pretty relevant to this situation. Some of them are by people who are justifying downvoting NoSouls, and yet seem to have a very different opinion in this thread. There’s also a few that I thought fit the scenario pretty well.

I think that removing the downvote option would be the best solution. We've had the Likes/Upvotes system for a few months now and there were no complaints, however with the recent addition of downvoting it's being pretty rampant across the board.

The reason we switched from a simple "Like" system to Up/Down votes was due to members saying that liking a post is useless without a Dislike option too. Which makes sense sometimes when a post really deserves to be voted down. Obviously certain members have been abusing the system, unfortunately.

I think the whole idea of the downvote system is flawed. Why downvote a post?

It's against the rules/spammy - Report it and a moderator will deal with it.

You disagree with their opinion - I don't see how their opinion should reflect their reputation. Granted, people upvote for that same, opposite reason, however an upvote to me is like an 'I agree with this' button, whereas the downvote button seems like 'the person who posted this is an idiot'. I just don't see it ending well at all ('specially in the Debate room ).

I (and most forumers) appreciate your effort to implement users' suggestions, however after trying it out I don't think it's suitable

A sort of compromise could be only allowing staff to downvote, although then what would the point of warnings be?

I really like how against downvotes you are here.

I think the system was seen as something good in theory but when experimentally done it just does not work out. It may have been a nice idea but realistically has only negative influence on the forum. I realize that it may seem odd that many people were wanting a downvote option until the option was actually put into play, but I feel the right thing to do is at least get rid of the downvote option. I also am not a big fan of likes because of people making posts for likes so they can have the highest "reputation" of anyone here. People are already interested in one useless statitistic (post count), let's not make them interested in two.

Another way of dealing with this problem would be as Leaf suggested, is just to get rid of the likes tally. This would work to a degree if likes and dislikes were still in place but would not solve all of the problems. The main problem it would not solve would be the bullying aspect of the system. Let's say that everyone decided to pick on John Doe, who is a perfectly good user but many people dislike him for some reason. They downvote all of his posts despite the fact none of his posts are spammy. Now, a new user to the forum, Mr. Deeds, sees that all of John Doe's posts are very negatively rated. Is Mr. Deeds going to have a low opinion of John Doe? Probably. Is it John Doe's fault? No. So as you see, getting rid of the likes tally is not going to solve all of the problems, although it definately would help. So if you were going to do that, I'd also suggest getting rid of dislikes too.

Remove the reputation score on user profiles.

Keep the ability to rate posts themselves.

I think this is the best way to go about it, although are you for or against the removal of downvoting? I think down with the downvoting.

There is a difference between downvoting someone's post because you disagree with them and systematically downvoting all of the posts of one member for the hell of it. Whether you should be warned for it is a different story, but this is why we need to get rid of downvoting imo.

Why don't we just make the minimum reputation 0? That should keep trolls in line without sending them to the depths of hell.

And you personally wanted to downvote every single one of NoSouls posts and send him “to the depths of hell.”

I feel it would be easy to spot an active attempt to abuse the system be it by launching a campaign against members or intentionally trying to get down votes by trolling and flaming. I think we have the rules in place to bring down warnings and bans on people who try and do that. If there is any holes in the current rules with regards to the system, then that will quickly noticed by the staff and fixed.

There are muppets who will mess with it. There will always be folks who do that. It'll make more sense if we deal with the abusers rather than throwing away a system most people are fine with.

Well currently there is nothing on upvoting and downvoting in the forum rules, so at the very minimum abusing the system should be officially against the rules. I know you can get warned for it now, but it would be nice to have something in the forum rules to serve as a warning.

I'm still for getting rid of at least downvoting for reasons I stated previously. Also, I feel like most of the posts that are downvoted are posted by newer members of the forum. Seeing that everyone is downvoting their posts just makes them feel alienated by the community and may stop visiting. I think most respectable members on this forum now made some stupid posts in the beginning. I know that if downvoting was around when I first joined I would have been downvoted to hell. So I think we should also consider that.

That’s the entire point of this topic.

Also, I feel like most of the posts that are downvoted are posted by newer members of the forum. Seeing that everyone is downvoting their posts just makes them feel alienated by the community and may stop visiting. I think most respectable members on this forum now made some stupid posts in the beginning. I know that if downvoting was around when I first joined I would have been downvoted to hell. So I think we should also consider that.

If it's not downvoting, then it's going to be a slew of snide, cruel responses which are equally likely to alienate. I think I'm with Phoenix Rider here- the problem isn't the system but the jerks using the system in a negative manner.

Look more stuff about alienating members. NoSouls got plenty of these in his thread. I understand that he said some things as well, but he wasn’t the only one.

As for Aabid himself (it might just be my lack of activity), but I've noticed he's been 'spamming' a lot less recently or has at least been making more meaningful posts/threads lately. So maybe he's realized that and people will downvote his posts less.

Or maybe he is just too worried that when he posts he will just get downvoted, causing him to post less. I don't want to sound like I've been tracking Aabid's account, but I see him active frequently on the current users area on the bottom of the index but I rarely seem him post these days. Making people feel alienated=less activity.

Although my feelings toward this system are slightly better than they were now that abuses have gone down, I will never be a fan for one reason: it gets people caring about another stupid number (reputation points). This is a personal thing though and I can see why people want to keep the whole sha-bang now.

I’m pretty sure this makes NoSouls feel alienated as well. It seems to be somewhat of the same scenario. Aabid got on people’s nerves, so they downvoted him. NoSouls gets on people’s nerves so they downvote him.

I made the aforementioned thread and I made clear reference to it here

He is not systematically getting downvoted. He is saying a bunch of things people find illogical or offensive and they downvote it. Trust me; I was all up in arms when Aabid was getting downvoted.

I agree that even though he makes some arguments which are actually true, he often goes about making them in a pompous and cocky way. You have to look no farther than reepicheep's critiques of his arguments in his thread to know what I am talking about.

Anyway, here I never said I was for the downvote system. If I were the boss here I would remove them the first chance I get. However, if there is a time where downvotes are appropriate then this was the time. I don't think I gave him any downvotes, by the way.

As for everybody else: that situation is not relevant to this one. And if it was, all you did was prove that opinions change with time.

Edited by Sobend

I made the aforementioned thread and I made clear reference to it here

He is not systematically getting downvoted. He is saying a bunch of things people find illogical or offensive and they downvote it. Trust me; I was all up in arms when Aabid was getting downvoted.

I agree that even though he makes some arguments which are actually true, he often goes about making them in a pompous and cocky way. You have to look no farther than reepicheep's critiques of his arguments in his thread to know what I am talking about.

I’m pretty sure this makes NoSouls feel alienated as well. It seems to be somewhat of the same scenario. Aabid got on people’s nerves, so they downvoted him. NoSouls gets on people’s nerves so they downvote him.

I think the difference is that Aabid got on people's nerves for different reasons. He didn't really act like a jerk, just immaturely. I'm not here to defend downvoting--I don't like it either. But if you're going to have it, then some of NoSouls's downvotes were well-deserved.

This is completely different. In the Aabid situation, people would downvote everything Aabid has said, whether he deserved it or not. In this situation, every post NoSouls has made is not being downvoted. For example, see his topic post. It's only the posts where he has said something ridiculous or has flame baited people. He happens to make lots of posts like that.

And considering NoSouls is still posting and probably trying to get his topic unlocked (which I support, he has a sound argument towards the end although it is not presented well) NoSouls is probably not alienated.

Edited by Sobend

I think some subreddits have this problem. Downvotes become more of a "I don't like this post/poster" more of a "This post does not contribute to the discussion". NoSouls may flamebait some of you guys, but that's how forums work. I personally enjoyed reading that thread he made, seeing as it's one of the few original posts we get.

EDIT: Plus I agree with what's he arguing.

Edited by Zooey