Sal's RuneScape Forum

I was wondering what you guys thought about making Old School freeplay. There seems to be lots of player support for this, although Jagex hasn't really made much of a comment other than no.

Do you think freeplay Old School would help the game out?

As a current freeplayer I selfishly would like to see freeplay Oldschool, but I get why it's not freeplay. If it were freeplay, then nostalgic ex-players would play for a short time on freeplay, get bored, and then quit. Jagex wouldn't be getting any of their money. I don't think freeplay Oldschool would expand the player base much. You're looking for new players, not returning ones, and new players are not going to be immediately interesting in a 6.5 year old game (when I was new playing Runescape, I definitely would not have invested much time on a game that was from 1998).

Nobody has really said much about this because the only people who seem to interact with the 07 player base is the development team, and they have no say over this stuff.

Edited by Shooter585

I dunno, I think the opposite of Shooter. If it was free then a bunch of old players would be much more inclined to give it a go and see if it feels the same, then subscribe from there, right? I was hooked for a good bit of last year.

I believe OldScape would be no exception to the many games that previously had a price and then became free, or free in some lesser way. Although I'm sure it isn't a huge problem, I experienced discrimination for having undertaken the free trial of World of Warcraft several years ago -.-. Although it might seem as if RuneScape's system of separate servers would ameliorate this issue, the popularity of permanent freeplayers might compensate for this.

And although I have no personal knowledge with whether old players would return or not, to compare Shooter's and Zooey's statements, I don't think there would be a very significant increase of older players. The cons, as insignificant as they may be, may offset the pros. There's also to take into account the cost of servers and such, but I know little of those details.

Even if there were popular support for this move, Jagex would have to regard it with cynicism considering that the consumer is always going to want free stuff with disregard to the company. And after all, not many of the people who strive to make it free are going to rejoice if it happens and then go ahead and start paying.

I dunno, I think the opposite of Shooter. If it was free then a bunch of old players would be much more inclined to give it a go and see if it feels the same, then subscribe from there, right? I was hooked for a good bit of last year.

this is what im thinking too.

They do have occasional free 07 weekends though.

They do have occasional free 07 weekends though.

If they do this, it's poorly advertised. I've never heard of it. Is it free members or just free freeplay?

I'm not sure if it's just freeplay or everything.

I think it's enough that members don't have to pay separately for OSRS.

I honestly am not sure why it should possibly be like that. You don't have to pay separately to play classic, do you?

Edited by Sobend

I honestly am not sure why it should possibly be like that. You don't have to pay members to play classic, do you?

Yes, you do. And you have to have logged into Classic before it was closed a couple years ago.

I honestly am not sure why it should possibly be like that. You don't have to pay members to play classic, do you?

Yes, you do. And you have to have logged into Classic before it was closed a couple years ago.

Yep, and I believe it has been that way since August 2005. At least that's when the veterans cutoff was. Silly Sobend!

I meant to say pay separately, sorry.

Oh, I understand. Well, the main difference between OSRS and Classic is that OSRS has a lot more Jagex support, especially with all the new updates unique to OldSchool.

I think that Old School still only gets 1/100 of the jmods that rs3 has.

Similarly, RSC has a mod until 2008 and you did not need to pay extra.

I hear OSRS has a ton of bots, even though I personally haven't been paying attention to other players. It's all just hearsay, but it seems like they put more value on drawing players in and keeping them there through player polls than keeping bots out.