Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sobend

Dungeoneering guide set-up idea

I thought of this idea last night in the shower, and given the magnitude of the guide I thought I would present it first in public.

We all know the Dungeoneering guide is one impressive undertaking. This is why we don't have a guide for Dungeoneering, which came out in 2010, and a guide for Divination, which came out in 2013. It's pretty embarrassing (to me, anyway) that we don't have this guide up. I'm not blaming anybody or shaming anyone, but as a site we needed to get it done when it came out.

Putting that aside, I believe there is a way to have some sort of Dungeoneering guide up quickly. We all know that the most difficult concept of the guide is the puzzles, bosses, etc. I suggest we omit these from the Dungeoneering guide and have these as a separate guide. For example, we would explain the basics (party rules, floor types, etc) and have links to the puzzle guides and boss guides in the Dungeoneering guide. This would:

1) Make the guide more organized

and more importantly

2) Make the guide seem less of an undertaking

What do you all think?

Where would you put all the boss information then

It would be a separate guide, titled "Dungeoneering bosses." There would be a link to it in the Dungeoneering guide.

Yes, puzzles and maybe doors would be the same.

I think this is the way that it's set up on some other sites, too. It shouldn't be one, fifty-screen-long page. Support.

Yep, Dungeoneering is just far too big of a piece of content to have all of the information in one guide. Splitting it up into smaller chunks will:

a) Improve readablity and

b) Give more motivation to submit content

Yeah that sounds good. When I started, it was pretty hard cause there was no real guide which told me all the basics. I just had to wiki specific rooms.

(Had 70 dung)

Hi everyone.

I want to know, just how much interest is there in having these Dungeoneering guides?

Based on the lack of feedback on my abbreviations guide, I am unsure whether people still care.

Dungeoneering is in sharp decline, and the dg community has been severely divided between the people who played when dg was fresh and understand the metagame, and the newer players who are struggling to get through dg levels for the sake of getting capes.

Dungeoneering was doomed to this fate the moment Jagex decided to make it a skill instead of a minigame.

Anyway, I had 3 more dg guides planned - Dungeoneering: Puzzles, Dungeoneering: Skilling, and Dungeoneering: Metagame.

However, I am most likely going to cancel these because at this point I do not feel they are worth the effort. At best, maybe I'll do a collab on the puzzles guide, and release the skilling guide when I have spare time and nothing better to do.

Please go ahead and convince me otherwise.

I'm not going to come up with anything inspirational to change your mind, but just so you know we have two skill guides we can use. We can combine both of these and receive a complete general dungeoneering guide and half finished puzzles/bosses guide. That would be much easier to clean up and finish than starting from scratch. You'd also receive help from others (sort of what you said in the end). It's not going to be as big of an undertaking as you thought.

If you don't have the will to do it. I'd rather you not do it than kill yourself over it. I wanted a dungeoneering guide up by the end of summer though I'm not sure I'll be able to do this personally. I want to update skill training guides (since they are embarrassing atm :P) first, then move onto dungeoneering. Then I'll feel pretty good about what we've done so far.

Most important information I gathered from this topic: Sobend thinks about RuneScape in the shower.

Anyway I can understand why you feel having separate Dungeoneering guides would be a good idea, and I'm not saying it's a bad idea, far from it, but there's something you have to factor in - most people who use guides are well, with no offense intended to anyone here because I am one too, lazy people. Personally I really dislike when I'm using a guide for a certain quest/minigame/whatever and the information isn't all on the same page, I hate having to click a bunch of links to find the complete information of what I need. I can imagine myself in a situation where I'm checking the Dungeoneering for puzzle room help and I keep switching back and forth between the Sal's guide and RuneScape Windows and then I reach a boss room with a boss I've never fought before and decide to check the guide for strategies etc and I'm sure I'd find it extremely annoying having to open a Dungeoneering Boss guide in another tab. I know it's not a big deal and it seems silly, but don't underestimate the power of laziness. If I were some random trying RuneScape for the first time and had to pick between two good Dungeoneering guides - the one with the information spread in different pages being the best one - I'd definitely use the guide with all the information in just one page.

Let's hope I'm just lazier than most RuneScape players. :P

Most important information I gathered from this topic: Sobend thinks about RuneScape in the shower.

Anyway I can understand why you feel having separate Dungeoneering guides would be a good idea, and I'm not saying it's a bad idea, far from it, but there's something you have to factor in - most people who use guides are well, with no offense intended to anyone here because I am one too, lazy people. Personally I really dislike when I'm using a guide for a certain quest/minigame/whatever and the information isn't all on the same page, I hate having to click a bunch of links to find the complete information of what I need. I can imagine myself in a situation where I'm checking the Dungeoneering for puzzle room help and I keep switching back and forth between the Sal's guide and RuneScape Windows and then I reach a boss room with a boss I've never fought before and decide to check the guide for strategies etc and I'm sure I'd find it extremely annoying having to open a Dungeoneering Boss guide in another tab. I know it's not a big deal and it seems silly, but don't underestimate the power of laziness. If I were some random trying RuneScape for the first time and had to pick between two good Dungeoneering guides - the one with the information spread in different pages being the best one - I'd definitely use the guide with all the information in just one page.

Let's hope I'm just lazier than most RuneScape players. :P

Honestly what annoys me more is looking to your right and seeing a miniature scrollbar. Not to mention waiting minutes for the page to load. The one great thing about our Treasure Trail guide for instance is that it is a tool, not one helluva page. You put the clue in and it tells you what to do. Other sites list everything, and considering it takes forever to load and can lag up your computer I would prefer it a page on the short end.

The Dungeoneering guide (with this proposed set-up) will have a short puzzles/bosses section with links to the more complete guides, so it's not too inconvenient. And there is nothing wrong with thinking about Runescape in the shower thank you >>>>>>:(

Normally I'd be inclined to agree with you Mic but I think Dungeoneering is just far too big to be one one page. The main guide will be a crash course intro for players on what Dg is, how to start it and what to do etc., and then you've got a strategy page that will help with the finer things.

I disagree with Mic. If I needed a dungeoneering guide, I would look for the specific information that I need, such as how to do a puzzle, and I would be annoyed to have to scroll past a large section explaining how to set up a party to enter a dungeon.

and am I missing something here? When you say "proposed setup" do you just mean this thread or do you actually have a detailed plan somewhere?

If we could make it more of a tool you could fit it on one page so that lazy people are satisfied and so are the people who hate tiny scroll bars. I think Sobend said this earlier, the treasure trails guide is good like that. If you put that all on one page it would be a nightmare to look through. I don't know if we have any people who have the html skills to do that though.

If you were splitting it up you'd have to split it up into three guides, far from ideal.

If you were splitting it up you'd have to split it up into three guides, far from ideal.

Personally I envision it as far more than just three guides.

This is my plan:

Basics: Forming a party, basic strategy inside a dungeon, theme, prestige, complexity, difficulty, modifiers to floor completion XP, S(t)inkholes, Rewards, Resource dungeons

Enemies and bosses: The different types of basic enemies, their attack styles, weaknesses, special abilities, slayer monsters, Boss strategies

Items and binds: Weapons, equipment, items, tiers, boss and slayer drops, Ring of Kinship classes, Item binds, Daemonheim aura

Puzzles: All puzzle strategies, the applications of each outside skill to completing doors or puzzles

Abbreviations: All standard abbreviations used by players

Metagame: Speed, efficiency, pathing and gatestone management strategies - I would probably cancel this and merge the remains into Basics instead because I don't feel Sals is the right place for it

and then the dungeoneering related ones that are not quite part of training the skill:

Daemonheim task set

Low complexity Skilling

Hard mode (will probably merge with Low complexity Skilling)

Edited by -Leaf-

We are extremely close to releasing a basics guide. Expect it this weekend.