Sal's RuneScape Forum
Young Leo

Game of Thrones (SHOW SPOILERS UNMARKED)

It wasn't the best ever in my opinion, I prefer the The Battle of the Blackwater ("Blackwater" I think is the episode's name), The Red Wedding ("The Rains of Castamere") and the siege of the Wall ("The Watchers on the Wall"). Probably more I just can't think of right now, but it was definitely the best episode of the season.

If I'm honest I've been finding the current season somewhat boring, maybe boring isn't the right word because it's still great, just not as interesting as what I'm used to I guess. That was probably the only truly outstanding episode.

It was an incredibly frustrating episode. The ending pissed me off so much with the stupid White Walker reviving the dead and acting all badass. I was seriously rooting for Jon Snow to pull a kamikaze and sacrifice himself just to kill the fking arrogant walker. I could live with his death as long as I could watch he punch the smugness out of the walker's face.

Plus something I never throught would happen - I actually want Cersei to get free and torture & kill that damn annoying woman and the High Sparrow. For once I can sympathise with her.

Sorta disagree. I feel that this season has really seen a lot of the build up from the last seasons come to fruition. What I like about GoT is that it's a slow burn and doesn't waste all the momentum by mid-season. Plus, it never fails to impress with an awesome finale.

Of course he was gonna do that. It would have been a missed opportunity if he didn't :P

Cersei's getting what she deserves. What I'm really sick off right now is the Ramsay storyline. He used to be really scary but by now, I just want him over and done with to progress the plot. The fire in Sansa's eyes after she heard about Bran should be an indication of something about to happen with that soon. I like how she's now longer that whiny girl from Season 1. She reminds me of her other somewhat with that look of hers. I just hope Theon steps up too cause his whole plot line is just pathetic at the moment.

I just need to re-emphasise how awesome the last 20 minutes was BTW. Those zombies/undead/whatever where terrifying and dangerous. MAN, they could run. It reminded of those from 28 Days Later.

I'm a little disappointed with how they're portraying the Others and the undead, but that's just part of the TV show keeping it exciting for viewers I guess. Definitely can't wait for the next episode though

Oh, they're definitely diverting from the book. I'm not complaining though. They know where they need to go (Martn told the producers how it ends) and the product is kinda awesome. ;)

It makes it interesting how the future of the books will turn out. GRRM has stated more than once that possibly the biggest gripe he has with LOTR (despite being a massive fan of it) is the concept of good vs evil. That's part of why the mysteriousness of the Others is so interesting, because we don't know their intentions. Now it looks like the show has just made it out to be good vs evil again.

Oh, they're definitely diverting from the book. I'm not complaining though. They know where they need to go (Martn told the producers how it ends) and the product is kinda awesome. ;)

Yeah they do it pretty often. They take a lot of liberties with the show.

Some examples:

Theon's sister name is Asha in the books and Yara in the show; Robin Arryn (the annoying kid) is a Robert in the books;

It's Ilyn Paine who trains Jaime not Bronn; also Bronn is never made captain of the city watch, only of Tyrion's personal guard;

Talisa (Robb's lady) doesn't exist in the books. It's another character named Jeyne that is meant to marry Robb, she isn't at the Red Wedding and survives the massacre;

Ros (the hot redhead from Winterfell that travels to King's Landing) is also a character made just for the show;

Jojen Reed doesn't die, he's still alive in the books afaik; Grenn and Pip survive the Battle of Wall and are still alive too; Speaking of Jojen and Meera they are guests in Winterfell for a while and that's when they meet Bran, not out in the open out of nowhere after escaping Winterfell;

The Tywin Lannister/Arya part at Harrenhall (which was pretty cool) never takes place in the books, it's Bolton who's in charge at that point;

Tyrion should look far more horrible than he does in the show after the Battle of Blackwater Bay, he loses his nose and part of his lip. The only injury that you see in the show from the books is the scar;

Ser Loras isn't technically the (sole) heir of Highgarden. He has two older brothers than don't exist in the show;

They omitted a pretty cool character that has a relevant role in the books - "Coldhands". He saves Sam and guides Bran to the cave of the Children of the Forest.

And many more, though I only posted the mosst obvious ones that came to mind. I'd have to reread the books to remember the rest.

Doesn't really matter to me. Same situation as the LoTR movies, necessary changes to make the final product more interesting, outstanding and less confusing.

I checked a bunch of facts about GoT recently and I have to say I prefer the original actors that were meant to play Catelyn Stark and Daenerys Targaryen. Not much of a fan of Emilia Clarke, there's just something about her that annoys me greatly that I can't explain.

As for Catelyn I got nothing against Michelle Fairley. I think she's an actress with potential to be part of a show like GoT, just not as Catelyn who is meant to be an hot mom basically. :P In the books she is fairly young and incredibly attractive and I personally feel Michelle wasn't a very good choice for that reason. They should have gone with their original choice Jennifer Ehle, but I can see it being sorta weird because she looks somewhat young to be Robb's mother.

Yeah, Jojen Reed's death was the only one that really ticked me off. I do love the way they streamlined a lot of the Targaryen Restoration conspiracies in the shows. Really produced a good end product and Tyrion/Dany meeting was well played fan service.

I guess with alot of the characters, they just chose to merge several into one just to make things more coherent and to get the audience to love to them more. The audience is already having a hard time keeping up with everyone as it is without adding another two dozen more characters.

Bringing back Jaqen H'ghar instead of using the Kindly Man was an example. The Young Griff plot was totally scrapped and was possibly merged with Varys and Tyrion's plot for simplicity's sake. I get why the purists would be up in arms but I'm not as invested in the Song of ice and Fire books like i was in Harry Potter or LOTR so I have no major qualms.

EDIT - Forgot about the Lady Stoneheart plotline. What a missed opportunity there. Would gave loved to see her hunt down Fray's children.

EDIT 2 - Oh and killing off Barristan Selmy was an outrage. I wanted to see him play the Game of Thrones with Dany! On second thought, maybe I do have a dozen or so gripes. :P

Edited by Phoenix Rider

Man so much hype around the guy about being the best knight ever and shiz and he dies in such a stupid manner. Deserved a more glorious death. :/

I don't mind Jaqen H'ghar being back in the show at all, dude's awesome. :P

EDIT - Forgot about the Lady Stoneheart plotline. What a missed opportunity there. Would gave loved to see her hunt down Fray's children.

I feel like it was either last week, or the week before, they brought up Cat's name once or twice... maybe allowing the viewer to bring her back into their memory a little bit? I was talking about this on the subreddit with some others, and while it's probably nothing (I mean, a mention isn't much to hold out for) we're hoping she is one of the last scenes of the next episode in some way shape or form. I guess we'll find out tonight!

I also feel like they will be addressing Sandor in this episode. Especially with the Qyburn plotline advancing in the latest episode, I'm holding out for #cleganebowl

There were plenty of WTF moments during the last episode but I thought we can start with the top two.

First being that awful scene with Princess Shireen. That scene really affected me and made me fill ill. I was meh on the whole Sansa rape thing but burning that poor child. Man that was brutal. It sucks even more for me since I thought she would be safe after reading the books and after Stannis had that moment with her 2 episodes ago. I failed to read the signs with Melisandre's actions and the producers putting the girl with Stannis on the march to Winterfell (despite her staying at The Wall in the books).

Indeed, no character is safe. Not even the ones who survived the books. I should have learned that by now.

On and secondly, DRAGON! Damn, that scene was hardcore.

We can discuss other stuff like Arya, the finale and predictions on Season 6 too. I just wanted to get the ball rolling.

Edited by Phoenix Rider

2nd world countries such as Portugal only get the episodes the next day, so I'll only be able to watch it later today. I'll discuss whatever happened later tonight or tomorrow for that reason. :P

Well damn, poor girl. :(

Just when I was beginning to sympathise with Stannis some shizzle like this has to happen. Was heartbreaking. And man... Ser Davos gonna be pissed off.

Dragon scene was okay, I think it was Tyrion, Jorah and Daario who made the scene though. You could see how all of them were hoping Jorah would live, even Daario. The chat was hilarious, especially the part when Daario just told the future (and now dead) king of Mereen to shut up like it was nothing. Shows the importance he really had haha. :P

Until the very end I thought he had something to do with the conspiracy, it appears I was wrong. My bad Mereen dude whose name escapes me atm, you were cool after all!

The dragon wrecking shiz was fun too of course, but as I said I found pretty much everything else about that scene more interesting. Also am I the only one who thought "hey Daenerys just bailed with the dragon and left the dudes to finish the fight, wow what a nice doggy!"? :P

Well damn, poor girl. :(

Just when I was beginning to sympathise with Stannis some shizzle like this has to happen. Was heartbreaking. And man... Ser Davos gonna be pissed off.

Dragon scene was okay, I think it was Tyrion, Jorah and Daario who made the scene though. You could see how all of them were hoping Jorah would live, even Daario. The chat was hilarious, especially the part when Daario just told the future (and now dead) king of Mereen to shut up like it was nothing. Shows the importance he really had haha. :P

Until the very end I thought he had something to do with the conspiracy, it appears I was wrong. My bad Mereen dude whose name escapes me atm, you were cool after all!

The dragon wrecking shiz was fun too of course, but as I said I found pretty much everything else about that scene more interesting. Also am I the only one who thought "hey Daenerys just bailed with the dragon and left the dudes to finish the fight, wow what a nice doggy!"? :P

With that act, Stannis has sealed his fate. I was starting to root for him just 2 episodes ago but after that, damn man. It was way more awful than the Red Wedding for me because I didn't expect the producers to go down that road.

I'm not bummed out because it's bad writing or execution. It was perfectly done. I'm just bummed by the story choice and how they turned what could have been a cool anti-hero into a terrible monster. Burning your own child was a red line. I hope it pays off and push the Winterfell storyline forward. It's the least they could do.

I loved the way Tyrion, Dani and Daario were piling on the Mereen dude BTW. Really nice to see. Also note how Tyrion saves Missandei first, as if he was looking for hot women to rescue. :xd:

Edited by Phoenix Rider

too many deus ex machina's in this episode

sir friendzone wins by being lucky and the dragon shows up just in time

bah, seriously they were trowing spears, everyone should have been dead unless they wanted her alive

I thought it was a good episode in general. Shireen being burned was absolutely mandatory, anyone who says it goes against Stannis's characteristics doesn't understand The Mannis enough.

I mean, you have to think about it. If he stays where he is his troops will starve. He can't push on and attack Winterfell while its walls are standing strong, and they don't have much hope of a seige in a blizzard. They've already been ambushed, it will keep happening if they push forward (or stay still for that matter) and they can't quite retreat, for the Long Night Part 2 is coming, and it won't be spring again until Azor Ahai saves the day. Since Stannis thinks he's Azor Ahai, that means he cannot retreat because then spring will never come again. He has to act NOW.

He also knows about, and believes in, the power of Kingsblood. Remember he was willing to sacrifice Gendry? So even though we know he loves Shireen (see earlier episodes) we also know he has an iron-willed attitude which means he will do everything in his power to sit the iron throne, and benefit his army. If burning his daughter allows for his troops to take victory over Winterfell, then it's the cost of one life for the betterment of his entire army. They're all going to die anyway if they stand still, sacrificing his daughter to Rh'llor gives them at least a margin of hope.

Also, in the prophecy Azor Ahai kills someone he loves dearly in order to "ascend". This cuts the cake.

I don't know why people are freaking out about this scene, it's been predicted since ADWD came out that Shireen was going to die, and it has been heavily hinted at this entire season. The only negative thing I see coming out of this is that once the North hears about Stannis burning his daughter, they won't rally behind him. The North seems to really be against child-slaying (and of course kin-slaying) following Ned's example.

I thought it was a good episode in general. Shireen being burned was absolutely mandatory, anyone who says it goes against Stannis's characteristics doesn't understand The Mannis enough.

I mean, you have to think about it. If he stays where he is his troops will starve. He can't push on and attack Winterfell while its walls are standing strong, and they don't have much hope of a seige in a blizzard. They've already been ambushed, it will keep happening if they push forward (or stay still for that matter) and they can't quite retreat, for the Long Night Part 2 is coming, and it won't be spring again until Azor Ahai saves the day. Since Stannis thinks he's Azor Ahai, that means he cannot retreat because then spring will never come again. He has to act NOW.

He also knows about, and believes in, the power of Kingsblood. Remember he was willing to sacrifice Gendry? So even though we know he loves Shireen (see earlier episodes) we also know he has an iron-willed attitude which means he will do everything in his power to sit the iron throne, and benefit his army. If burning his daughter allows for his troops to take victory over Winterfell, then it's the cost of one life for the betterment of his entire army. They're all going to die anyway if they stand still, sacrificing his daughter to Rh'llor gives them at least a margin of hope.

Also, in the prophecy Azor Ahai kills someone he loves dearly in order to "ascend". This cuts the cake.

I don't know why people are freaking out about this scene, it's been predicted since ADWD came out that Shireen was going to die, and it has been heavily hinted at this entire season. The only negative thing I see coming out of this is that once the North hears about Stannis burning his daughter, they won't rally behind him. The North seems to really be against child-slaying (and of course kin-slaying) following Ned's example.

It's not in line with his character though. I feel like this was a really cheap reason to get rid of Shireen. Stannis is an incredible general, do you think that he'd set up a camp in a way that's easy for 20 guys to infiltrate and sabotage? Absolutely not, he'd definitely make sure that there are capable guards. Plus this is a man that starved himself and his garrison for a year during Robert's Rebellion, what makes you think that he'd sacrifice his daughter just because his food stores got burnt? In the books Stannis doesn't believe in any of the fire shizzle, he just puts up with it because half his army believes in it.

It's not in line with his character though. I feel like this was a really cheap reason to get rid of Shireen. Stannis is an incredible general, do you think that he'd set up a camp in a way that's easy for 20 guys to infiltrate and sabotage? Absolutely not, he'd definitely make sure that there are capable guards. Plus this is a man that starved himself and his garrison for a year during Robert's Rebellion, what makes you think that he'd sacrifice his daughter just because his food stores got burnt? In the books Stannis doesn't believe in any of the fire shizzle, he just puts up with it because half his army believes in it.

Wow, I completely disagree at every junction haha.

First, there are definitely differences from the book and the show. I'll admit in the books he's not as flattered by magic as in the show, but we are still talking about the show so that's what takes precedent. Mel's mummery of burning the leeches has made Stannis give in a little and accept magic as a legitimate use. Second, in the book of course his army wouldn't be sabotaged - but you can't use that argument when it literally just happened in the show.

The difference between him starving himself years ago and now is that he doesn't have time to wait to take Winterfell. If he doesn't take Winterfell soon, he won't be able to sit the Iron Throne in time for when the Others come. Also, he took a calculated risk when he starved himself in Storms End the first time, this is a totally different scenario where he wouldn't just starve, he would also possibly freeze to death.

What makes me think he's going to sacrifice his daughter? Well, think about it. He has NO time to waste if he wants to have any hope of sitting the Iron Throne in time to save the realm, so he must march NOW. Show Stannis believes in the magical powers of King's Blood, and is a believer that the Lord of Light killed 3 "Kings" for his sake, so can be trusted with Shireen's blood. Show Stannis also has a security threat on his camp, already it's been hit by Ramsey. If Stannis stays where he is, Shireen will die of starvation or cold or assassination anyway, so why not sacrifice her for something he believes in which will give him the faintest slimmer of hope of saving the realm?

Quick Edit: By sacrificing Shireen, it also (perhaps) allows for Stannis to fit another criteria to become Azor Ahai. Of course, I doubt that's a motive, but an interesting observation nonetheless.

Another Edit (sorry, I feel strongly about Stannis's action being accurate to his character, and I support it):

I don't like using the words of others for my own arguments, but I simply can't sum up what I'm thinking about Stannis any differently from this great post on the subreddit:

Edited by Chaoss

Do we have proof it was Ramsey and the Boltons who sabotaged the camp though? You never see any of them at all, only a fire starting and spreading. Fire of all the possible manners of sabotage.

My bet is that this was caused by Melisandre on purpose to force Stannis to sacrifice his daughter for the sake of speeding up the campaign.

Do we have proof it was Ramsey and the Boltons who sabotaged the camp though? You never see any of them at all, only a fire starting and spreading. Fire of all the possible manners of sabotage.

My bet is that this was caused by Melisandre on purpose to force Stannis to sacrifice his daughter for the sake of speeding up the campaign.

No, we don't, but in the beginning Davos states it was "20 men, maybe less" and the previous episode ended Ramsey's story asking for 20 men. Odds are it's him I would think.

EPISODE 10! ON POINT! BEST EPISODE THIS SEASON!!

Edited by Chaoss

Just some random thoughts to start the conversation.

1. The moment Stannis went so far as to burn his daughter, it was game over for him. I'm glad to see that Shireen's death wasn't in vain.

2. Oh and seeing Melisandra in the camp basically guaranteed us seeing Jon Snow in the next season.

3. Glad to see that a lot of the main events in the book are retained such as Cersie's walk and Arya going blind. At this stage, you don't know what's gonna be cut or retained.

4. Tyrion and Varys are gonna be bad asses! in Meereen.

5. R + L = J

So what were your thoughts on last night's episode? I thought it was badass!

Edited by Phoenix Rider

I LOVED LAST NIGHT'S EPISODE!

Dany's meeting of Khal Pono was pretty neat looking. Tyrion and Varys are going to be awesome working together (although I hope they don't stay in Meereen too long). Theon made my day. Arya is finally blind. All great scenes.

The atonement scene was also brilliantly done. Really, really awesome, they did a phenomenal job. The last scene toyed with my emotions though. Last week we saw Benjen in the GoT icon for this episode, turns out we were trolled by D&D real well.. In either case, promising Benjen made me put my guard down... which... well.

For the Watch.

Once again, the greatest military commander in Westeros is shown to be useless at military organisation.

Once again, the greatest military commander in Westeros is shown to be useless at military organisation.

It's like, where's your scouts, m8? warlord 101

Edited by Beret

That's hardly fair, the man was an emotional wreck at that point. Killed his own daughter, half of his army deserted, his wife hung herself and the red nice doggy! abandoned him. You could see he had given up.

Well that episode was a train wreck from the beginning to the end. I mean damn it lots of cliffhangers and such which is what the viewers want I guess, but Stannis and Jon Snow dead the same episode? Are you kidding me? :cry:

If Tyrion dies I'm done with this damn show.

that entire arya scene was phenomenal. it was pretty obvious she'd kill that pedo guy, but then that cool dude kills himself because of it and i'm like "noooooo u were a pretty cool dude" but then he wasn't dead and it was like "what the fudgekkkkkkkkkk that was awesome" but then rip arya's vision

Really enjoyed the finale, was top notch stuff.

That's hardly fair, the man was an emotional wreck at that point. Killed his own daughter, half of his army deserted, his wife hung herself and the red nice doggy! abandoned him. You could see he had given up.

Well that episode was a train wreck from the beginning to the end. I mean damn it lots of cliffhangers and such which is what the viewers want I guess, but Stannis and Jon Snow dead the same episode? Are you kidding me? :cry:

We don't know that Stannis is dead though.

We don't know that Stannis is dead though.

My policy for all deaths in cinema or television is that you can't call a death unless you see the body.

Oh and they're so gonna bring back Jon Snow from the dead, What was the point of having Ms. Hot Topic General Manager herself go to The Wall and having Shireen burned if they're not gonna do that whole 'Red God brining resurrecting people' deal. If they're going Boba Fett on Snow, we all might as well go #TeamWhiteWalkers and be done with it.

I'm usually a Faith of the Seven type of guy but yeah, go get em Red Lady.

tumblr_n6nkawW3hV1s2pa95o1_500.gif

Edit - And yeah, i believe that Martin himself said awhile ago that who Jon's parents are plays a great importance to the series's long term plot. If he just goes now then all we'll have is knowing who were the dead parents to this one dead dead. I mean, WTF?

We need a new policy on spoilers. Or we could keep it as it is and be that one funny thread where everything is written in spoiler tags. I'm good either way. :P

Edited by Phoenix Rider