Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sobend

Did Runescape turn from a Medieval game into a Fantasy game?

Although Jagex has never considered Runescape a medieval game, it certainly felt like that for most of us when we were starting out. There were dragons and demons sure, but these were all taken from medieval folklore. Storylines which featured more fantasy-like characters such as the Mahjarrat were not really established and the Runescape gods were more towards the background rather than in the center of everything. Also, most of the tales in the game (such as Arrav) involved human heroes.

This feeling of a medieval game vanished when Runescape 3 and the events leading up to it came out. Now the game has a more fantasy feel.

Did you ever think of Runescape as a medieval style game? Do you still think of it as a medieval game? Do you think the feel was better then or now?

Edited by Sobend

RuneScape stopped being a medieval game to me the day they updated the old metallic armours. Before then and EoC I paid little attention to the storylines and pretty much everything else about that game not related to (most F2P) PvPing. The old armours were pretty knightly and medieval, and I always considered RS a medieval game because of them.

RuneScape stopped being a medieval game to me the day they updated the old metallic armours. Before then and EoC I paid little attention to the storylines and pretty much everything else about that game not related to (most F2P) PvPing. The old armours were pretty knightly and medieval, and I always considered RS a medieval game because of them.

And they looked better too.

I stopped playing at EOC but before that it did seem like a medieval game.

Runescape has always been a fantasy game because of all of the supernatural elements such as gods and magic spells. To me, it is both.

I never really considered 'medieval' to be a genre, i think it was more of the theme of the game, rather than a static element that the game was built around. Almost all MMO's end up with some sort of 'theme' to them, RS was definitely on a medieval path, the locations, the buildings, the weapons and armor. But now, as you said, it seems they are pulling away from the medieval theme a bit, which i think is a good move.

The more elements they can get in to the game from different 'themes' would likely widen their player registration horizon. We already have alternate universes and other planets in the game. For example, Zanaris' theme is like a fairy land. Lunar isle represents 'moon-like' atmosphere. Etc. I am waiting for a legit underwater city and a space station. There is still a lot of room for them to craft ideas in the themes of Sci-Fi, space and more. I think they have pretty much exhausted vampires and dragons... it is no surprise that they are looking for other 'themes' to implement.

Edited by Iamyouronly

Ya i agree i feel like it's always been a fantasy game, the old armour and weapon designs made it seem like that too but if you think about it all the monsters and npc's are pretty fantassy

I preferred the medieval element myself. I guess I'm more interested in things that I have heard of before because it's easier for me to follow what is going on. Runescape has always had some fantasy element, such as the Lost City, but for the most part that always took a backseat to the medieval element. Runescape has been trending slowly towards fantasy since the end of rs1 though, this is hardly a new phenomenon. There is only so much you can do with medieval themes.

Isn't it medieval fantasy? To the poster who said a space station is around the corner, that will be a long time coming.

i agree with you, runescape did really seem more medievil based back in the day, wouldn't have a clue as to what made them start shifting away from that

i agree with you, runescape did really seem more medievil based back in the day, wouldn't have a clue as to what made them start shifting away from that

I think they eventually ran out of medieval ideas, whereas with fantasy you have an almost unlimited number of options. It would be nice to see more medieval though.

Sorry it took me six days to realize there was a post here :P

There is only so much you can do with medieval themes.

I agree.

As for the theme, it certainly was more medieval back in the older days, I guess they have added more variety now though. You can only take a certain genre so far, and if they had continued within the limits of a medieval theme, I guess they would have eventually struggled to create more interesting content. For example: GWD and Pest Control.

Variety is what keeps the game fresh and alive, I guess :)

Edited by Twitter Noob