Sal's RuneScape Forum

Recently there was a poll in OSRS where players got to vote for an implementation of a new skill. It appears that there will be a new skill will be put into the game (eventually).

What do you think this skill should be? Something that exists in rs3 or something brand new? For me, it's hard to say. Summoning and Dungeoneering are the two likeliest choices. However they changed the game so much. Something like a modified dungeoneering may be okay, but it would feel too much like RS3.

It's stupid they are putting in a new skill. This is 07 not 08 or 09 guys. Summoning would be best though, maybe sailing but that would take too much development work for them I think.

It's not 07, despite the date they pulled it from the backup - it's Oldschool. I'm pretty sure thats why its called OSRS /Oldschool instead of RS07 by Jmods the majority of the time, which I personally like. I don't think its meant to be a 2007 recreation, but a game that gets updated as it would of normally had Jagex done polls.

It's not 07, despite the date they pulled it from the backup - it's Oldschool. I'm pretty sure thats why its called OSRS /Oldschool instead of RS07 by Jmods the majority of the time, which I personally like. I don't think its meant to be a 2007 recreation, but a game that gets updated as it would of normally had Jagex done polls.

I agree that it's constantly evolving, but I also worry that it will end up going down a road where it ends up resembling rs3.

I'm with Army. 07 is a remake. Although I agree I don't want it going down the same line.

One reason why I play classic over OSRS is because OSRS IMO is going to turn into RS3, while Classic will not. But let's get back on topic.

One reason why I play classic over OSRS is because OSRS IMO is going to turn into RS3

The only things I believe would truly turn it into an RS3 would be to add microtransactions, and of course, Evolution of Combat, and the point of OSRS was at the time the old combat system. Depending on the skill, I don't think a new one would be that bad.

Edited by Army of One

I dislike high level training methods though. They help make 99s more attainable, which feeds into the drive to get more 99s.

OSRS has already added a few high level training methods for agility and maybe some other things which I personally dislike.

Agility has always been one of the harder skills to train and probably still is with the updates, I don't have much of a problem the rooftop.

But the skill makes me worry.

I dislike high level training methods though. They help make 99s more attainable, which feeds into the drive to get more 99s.

OSRS has already added a few high level training methods for agility and maybe some other things which I personally dislike.

So motivation to play is bad?

If they added stuff like Curly Roots for Firemaking or Runespan I would understand, but the main game needed those advanced courses anyway, and the best rooftop course is on-par with the best RS3 course.

Idk how they're going to develop a whole new skill with only 2 (?) Jmods working it.

Edited by O hai im KAMIL

...WHY

STOP MAKING THINGS FOR OUTDATED MATERIAL. IT IS LIKE UPDATING WINDOWS 95 JUST STOP.

/rant

Edited by Iamyouronly

So motivation to play is bad?

If they added stuff like Curly Roots for Firemaking or Runespan I would understand, but the main game needed those advanced courses anyway, and the best rooftop course is on-par with the best RS3 course.

It's not motivation to play, more like motivation to train instead of do something else. This is just an opinion of mine though and I realize there are other more significant reasons for a move from PKing and minigames to more training.

...WHY

STOP MAKING THINGS FOR OUTDATED MATERIAL. IT IS LIKE UPDATING WINDOWS 95 JUST STOP.

/rant

It's a remake, not an outdated game. Sub-par graphics? Okay, but RS3 has sub-par graphics when compared to Skyrim.

Edited by Sobend

Yeah I don't think oldschool is "outdated," just ask the people who play it. It's just a different version. I agree that it shouldn't get as much attention, but the development team in 07 is minuscule compared to the development team in rs3.

Besides, they just stopped updating Windows XP a couple weeks ago.

...WHY

/rant

Because it has almost as many active players as the 'current' version of Runescape.

Also, I think the updates are a good thing. It better shows the points where RS3 went wrong, because I believe most of the people voting in the polls for content are the ones who wish Runescape had gone donwn a different path.

I'm sorry but it just seems silly to me to spread themselves so thin when they could have more dev's working on 1 unified version of the game but instead they are supporting both versions and creating conflict like this. I personally, do not and will not play 07RS, but to all those that want to that is their choice, i just see the potential for a greater single version if they had more dev's working on the same version of the game. I'll stay out of this forum from now on lol.

Edited by Iamyouronly

I'm sorry but it just seems silly to me to spread themselves so thin when they could have more dev's working on 1 unified version of the game but instead they are supporting both versions and creating conflict like this. I personally, do not and will not play 07RS, but to all those that want to that is their choice, i just see the potential for a greater single version if they had more dev's working on the same version of the game. I'll stay out of this forum from now on lol.

The whole having all devs working on the first game didn't work out well for their player base the first time, and old school brought players back.

Yeah I don't really like any, not sure I'd really train any. Astronomy is the only one I would really dislike though if it were added, sounds too much like shooting stars.

If they are going to put in a new skill put in sailing

Who picked these ideas. I think that one dung collecting skill is needed to pick up these crappy ideas.

lol

Edited by Shooter585

None of the five entries that made the pcik are appealing to me. :/

Artisan won, here is the dev blog.

http://services.runescape.com/m=forum/forums.ws?317,318,701,65395093,goto,1

It is better than I was thinking it would be, but still not good enough for me to warrant voting yes. For those who don't want to read, it's basically a non-combat task system or slayer for skillers. You should be able to train a skill without training others; I don't think slayer is really a skill either, though I'm in the minority on that.

I dislike how the skill rewards that come from it basically only affect combat. And some of the rewards seem OP (max idol + black mask = 30% damage boost?)

But I do like how the Jmods are actively communicating ideas with the community instead of THIS IS HOW IT'S GOING TO BE, LIVE WITH IT we mainly get with ours.

Edited by Sobend

So many updates for OSRS recently. I like that they implement a poll so they actually know what the players think before destroying the game with there fogged up mindset of what would be accepted. Jagex doesn't have a good run in with a lot of people by what they have done to the game. Sure, i get it that updates and adding content is cool... But they took it to the next level the majority of the time ruining there player base. They evolved RuneScape into a game that isn't even RS anymore. I don't think they should have added GE, yes it makes it easier to get what you need, you don't have to pay premium for vital items that should be cheap. But merching is what made RS! I loved watching how us players controlled the economy, everything about it was fantastic. I really hope they don't turn OSRS into a "new" OSRS overtime, but i am afraid they are going to. A few years from now i bet they will implement so much new stuff to OSRS the only classic thing about it will be the graphics and combat style. But only time will tell!

So many updates for OSRS recently. I like that they implement a poll so they actually know what the players think before destroying the game with there fogged up mindset of what would be accepted. Jagex doesn't have a good run in with a lot of people by what they have done to the game. Sure, i get it that updates and adding content is cool... But they took it to the next level the majority of the time ruining there player base. They evolved RuneScape into a game that isn't even RS anymore. I don't think they should have added GE, yes it makes it easier to get what you need, you don't have to pay premium for vital items that should be cheap. But merching is what made RS! I loved watching how us players controlled the economy, everything about it was fantastic. I really hope they don't turn OSRS into a "new" OSRS overtime, but i am afraid they are going to. A few years from now i bet they will implement so much new stuff to OSRS the only classic thing about it will be the graphics and combat style. But only time will tell!

Yeah I agree. I've started playing OSRS recently and I'm honestly a bit worried about all the weapons and weapon improvements released with the new bosses. Admitely I'm pretty ignorant about them, but judging by their prices in the GE they must be pretty good. I fear that if this keeps up OSRS will eventually get to the point combat will be broken due to all the overpowered weapons, which is what led to the downfall of pre-EoC P2P combat.

I honestly wouldn't mind seeing Summoning make an appearance in Old School RuneScape.