Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Zooey

Dark Souls 2

Anyone else been playing? The PC version is coming out today and I'm pretty excited. I've been trying to figure out what build I want to run with my xbox characters, but I'm torn between just straight up int/faith or throwing in str as well.

I'd like to play it, though I've still not gotten through DS1 (doing that first regardless). It sounds like it's DS1 only without the myriad of issues that plagued the first one.

I'd like to play it, though I've still not gotten through DS1 (doing that first regardless). It sounds like it's DS1 only without the myriad of issues that plagued the first one.

I'm curious what the myriad of issues that plagued the first one were.

Gotta love a game where you can do this

xvL3u9A.jpg?1

Game reviewers are lapping it up but a lot of people are complaining about the keyboard & mouse controls and sloppy graphics. Nothing a few mods can't fix but from the sounds of it I thought it was going to be a great port from the get-go.

Game reviewers are lapping it up but a lot of people are complaining about the keyboard & mouse controls and sloppy graphics. Nothing a few mods can't fix but from the sounds of it I thought it was going to be a great port from the get-go.

I don't think any of the souls games have been good with keyboard/mouse, they pretty much just expect you to use a controller

Got to the covetous demon last night, something like level 80 right now. Game looks so good on PC, I'm pretty happy with the port after playing both. Zazzy and I were able to co-op as long as we were within ~50k SM of each other.

I don't see how a game that relies on smooth movements and dodging could even be expected to have good keyboard/mouse controls. It's just nowhere near as fluid as a controller.

I don't see how a game that relies on smooth movements and dodging could even be expected to have good keyboard/mouse controls. It's just nowhere near as fluid as a controller.

Many other games of the same genre have managed just fine, it's just that the DS2 devs are too lazy to properly support keyboard/mouse. Expecting your entire PC user base to not only own but use a controller to play a PC game is honestly pathetic.

Many other games of the same genre have managed just fine, it's just that the DS2 devs are too lazy to properly support keyboard/mouse. Expecting your entire PC user base to not only own but use a controller to play a PC game is honestly pathetic.

Can you name a game that has combat even remotely similar to dark souls that functions well with keyboard and mouse? It's a console game first, and a PC game second. It's designed with a controller in mind, and there's only a PC version because people begged for it.

Can you name a game that has combat even remotely similar to dark souls that functions well with keyboard and mouse? It's a console game first, and a PC game second. It's designed with a controller in mind, and there's only a PC version because people begged for it.

The Witcher and Chivalry are two off the top of my head. Not direct comparisons, but close enough.

Not only that but Durante (DS1 fixer) promised the PC version to be a good port.

The Witcher and Chivalry are two off the top of my head. Not direct comparisons, but close enough.

Not only that but Durante (DS1 fixer) promised the PC version to be a good port.

Alright first off those games are both made with PC in mind, in fact Chivalry is PC only. Second, everyone I know that has played the Witcher 2 says the combat pales in comparison to Dark Souls. I don't know anyone who has played Chilvary to comment on that, but I'd assume the same. Nothing in your link said ANYTHING about controls.

Alright first off those games are both made with PC in mind, in fact Chivalry is PC only

Which proves you can develop good keyboard/mouse controls.

Nothing in your link said ANYTHING about controls.

comparison-chart1.png

>Precise and configurable

Oh yeah framerate is locked at 60fps too lol, gg 120hz monitors

Edited by O hai im KAMIL

Alright first off those games are both made with PC in mind, in fact Chivalry is PC only

Which proves you can develop good keyboard/mouse controls.

Dark Souls is not a PC oriented franchise. A clear example of controller vs mouse and keyboard would be Diablo 3 I think. It's a PC game ported to consoles and it varies wildly on how it plays as well as the interface to make it better suited for each one. Why would Dark Souls devs spend time making perfect mouse and keyboard controls when you can simply plug in a controller and play the game like it was meant to be played?

Nothing in your link said ANYTHING about controls.

comparison-chart1.png

>Precise and configurable

Oh yeah framerate is locked at 60fps too lol, gg 120hz monitors

I overlooked that part of the chart. I haven't actually played the game yet so I can't judge its controls, but I'm sure someone who was would have some input here. Also, why would you NEED more than 60fps? That's above and beyond playable.

Also, why would you NEED more than 60fps? That's above and beyond playable.

lol okay then

So, you have no answer?

I can't attest to this myself but I have read that there is a tangible difference between 60fps and 120 fps if you're playing on a 120hz monitor. Of course, it's a relatively niche thing because you need a) a 120hz monitor and b) a computer that'll run the game at 120fps but it's still too bad.

So, you have no answer?

I said it in the same sentence:

gg 120hz monitors

That doesn't explain why you need higher framerate than playable.

I can't attest to this myself but I have read that there is a tangible difference between 60fps and 120 fps if you're playing on a 120hz monitor. Of course, it's a relatively niche thing because you need a) a 120hz monitor and b) a computer that'll run the game at 120fps but it's still too bad.

So it's basically something that developers who are making a game primarily for consoles wouldn't care about. Which is what I've basically been trying to say. It's a console game first and foremost and PC is an afterthought.

Edited by Sand Nagger

Been playing since PC release, have to put more thought into how it compares to the original but I'm really liking it.

Sunlight for lyfe

probably the easiest game in the series but it's still really fun

pvp is still incredibly broken as far as lag is concerned but meh, what can you do

Guys does anyone still play this? Old topic... but I just got Scholar of The First Sin because I never beat it on 360 and I beat the first one like 5 or 6 times so I figured I should beat this one with Dark Souls 3 being announced... Currently I am building a Sorcerer and will be using Hex/Dex for the most part. just got to Lost Bastille last night!

EDIT: Forgot to ask this...

Like I said I am currently at the Lost Bastille.. looking for a better staff. Just found the Bone Staff but that doesn't do as good of damage as the Sorcerer Staff.. At what point will I find a good one??

Edited by Shebi3

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines and Privacy Policy.