Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Micael Fatia

Game suggestions

I have another question related to Steam, and I guess it's best to just bump this topic rather than create a new one.

I received a notification today informing me I had new card items in my inventory and when I went to check the badges page I noticed this:

REuJhUo.png

Now I am aware how the badges work so I'm not asking what a badge is, I'm asking what this specific badge is because it says "Mysterious" only and the cards are all Mysterious 1, 2, 3 etc. Can't be a game's badge because I don't own any with that name, and as far as I know I haven't really bought any game part of a promotion that could have unlocked some kind bonus badge.

tl;dr I have no idea what this is and it's bothering me lol

Cheers for all the valuable game suggestions btw guys. :thumbs:

I haven't got an idea either, but I think it's probably got something to do with the Steam Summer Sale which'll be soon (I heard next week).

I am fairly sure that is going to be the Summer Sale slot, yes. As a 10-card badge, that makes sense and the Summer Sale is around the corner so.. expect it within a month. :P

@Yuan how often do you play games with teaching and what not?

The deus ex series is good both the original and hr. Final fantasy x/x2 remaster is great. Two rpgs and a rougelike for less than a single new game.

@Yuan how often do you play games with teaching and what not?

That is actually a very good question, Aabid. :P

According to my Steam profile, I have been playing games for 34.8 hours over the last 2 weeks. That by itself is misleading, because I have spectated some DOTA 2 games and in the process, I have probably AFK'd so that is not 35 hours of gaming. However, I have also played some Guild Wars 2 to finish up the current holiday event, as well as the fact that I play Hearthstone for about half an hour every third day (to do dailies).

Granted, that is not much of an answer, so here is the more in-depth answer:

In periods where I can game, then I game quite a bit. I am currently on an 11 day long vacation because in the past schoolyear, I had a full 13 days of leave which my boss told me that I had to cash in before the 24th of June (which is when my actual Summer Holidays start). This was primarily because I usually step in when colleagues have been sick/absent and we could not find replacement teachers, or the simple fact that I have been teaching more lessons per week than the majority of my coworkers, so I had a rather large amount of leave I had to take (I can not ask for money instead, but I would have done that if I could.)

Needless to say, I have been able to game a lot the past few games, if I wanted to. :P

Just before this current mini-holiday, my students were having their exams. All my students had a written exam in English, which I teach, and I got assigned a group for an oral Social Science exam, which I also teach, so I did not game much in that period due to obvious planning and work related to their exams (designing oral exam tasks, final preparation for their written exam and such).

Any periods of grading is a general "No gaming" period, because instead of spreading out 30+ hours of grading over the course of some weeks, I would rather lock myself into my home office for about 2-4 days and do it all in that timeframe.

Beyond that, it is basically paperwork and lesson planning remaining as timesinks, and I generally do most of that at school by staying there a bit later than needed each day, so once I am home, I am generally free to do whatever I want. I usually do not take any breaks during recess, and my designated planning schedule as a teacher is used rather efficiently, so I do the vast majority of planning lessons at school and I adapt them once I get a brilliant idea or something in my "spare" time. Yesterday, for instance, I came up with a lesson in History about World War 2 while browsing Reddit (TodayIlearned), and I can not even give my students that lesson until next year, but it is nice to have for later. :P

In general, I have improved my efficiency in terms of handling the paperwork, grading and planning to require little time for them at home (beyond stressful periods), and that leave me free to do what I would like to do. A lot of that time goes to gaming. :P

Oh, and I am also really good at multitasking at this point. While I wrote this, I gained about 80% of a level in Guild Wars 2. :P

Wow you seem like a boss...

Are you close with your students? Do you talk with them about games?

You're a cool teacher...

Well, the principal has said that quite a few students have come to him and asked for me to be transferred to their grade, so I have a fairly good reputation with my students. As for close, then yes, most Norwegian teachers end up getting to know their students really well because of how our school system works.

As for gaming, then yeah, I talk to them about it if it ever comes up. During the last winter, I even allowed them to have a few Trial Evolutions tournaments during the recesses. We just hooked up a school projector and did the 4-player race thingies with qualifiers and such

...in retrospect, I really sucked at that game. :xd:

What the reason you play Dota over LoL? Is it because of the fan base there or personal interests?

Damn there aren't really any teachers I'm close with. They all like me but there aren't really any I can talk to and open up to ('bout anything)

Honestly having a good teacher is the best thing ever.

We have this one teacher who just writes examples on the board for math and thats all.

This other teacher can explain everything in 10 different ways.

You know how teachers ask "Do you understand?" to the class. Most of the time, everyone in the class says yes due to being shy or w/e; this teacher will understand when people will understand and he'll explain it again. He's also very bold when you ask him about his opinion of you so if he thinks you aren't working hard, he'll tell you. He'll also give you advice. I asked him about me and he said that I started the year off strong but have been slacking since... I need to change.

Yuanrang where are you on rate my professor

Edited by Sobend
I love how this thread has gone totally off topic :P

:wink: Is that what I think it is...

Edit: :eyebrows:

Edited by Aabid

Idk if you're still looking for games Micael, but my favorite computer game probably is Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth. There's three games in the series, the first I like the most, but the other two have some pretty cool customization options, as far as your hero.

It's a RTS series that is crazy hard on hard difficulty, but extremely fun.

What the reason you play Dota over LoL? Is it because of the fan base there or personal interests?

Damn there aren't really any teachers I'm close with. They all like me but there aren't really any I can talk to and open up to ('bout anything)

We have this one teacher who just writes examples on the board for math and thats all.

You know how teachers ask "Do you understand?" to the class. Most of the time, everyone in the class says yes due to being shy or w/e; this teacher will understand when people will understand and he'll explain it again. He's also very bold when you ask him about his opinion of you so if he thinks you aren't working hard, he'll tell you. He'll also give you advice. I asked him about me and he said that I started the year off strong but have been slacking since... I need to change.

I will start with the teaching part first, since I think I will spend more time writing that answer. You are probably right about the part where you say that a good teacher is the best thing ever for a student. I do not believe in the "Let us write stuff on the blackboard all session, and you listen", type of teaching. While there are times you have to go through a presentation or write down notes on the keyboard, I think the most important part for making education good, is to target the audience and make it feel relevant. When I went to study pedagogy, we were told that a good teacher, is also a good actor and an entertainer, being able to grow enthusiasm out of nowhere. As a historian, I find fitting stories to tell to fit into my lessons, for instance. My class enters the subject of cruelty towards other human beings? Well, I have extensive knowledge about ancient torture methods, so that always captivate them and telling them a few, before hitting them with my main argument just after, always gets them to learn.

There is a US presidential election and they do not know who Mitt Romney is? Well, I showed them a spoof on Gangnam Style (when it was a fad) called "Mitt Romney Style"; then had them investigate whether or not the spoof was true or a part of political propaganda. Stuff like that tends to entertain, and then get them in the right mood to want to learn.

Also, I can safely say that most teachers fall into the habit of asking unimportant questions such as "Do you understand?", which is questions they can answer easily, or will lie about to appear knowledgeable. We need to ask more good questions aimed at making students think and reflect, because those are the questions that matter. :P

I think my general stance is that a good teacher makes it easier to do well in school, simply because we are motivators. No matter how knowledgeable a student is, they need someone cheering them on, and I believe in doing just that. That usually makes me grow strong bonds to my students, because they realise I care, and then they try their best to disappoint. I generally have a lot of success by doing that. :P

Well I actually tested out LoL and Dota 2 at the same time. I wanted to try the genre and see what the hype was, and I was utterly disappointed in both games, so I just quit. Of the two though, my opinion was that DOTA 2 was simply the better game in mechanics, but the genre sucked hard, so I quit.

Fast forward a few months, and I come across some link to the DOTA2 reddit about an update, and how players were extatic. Personally, I was like "But the game is awful.", but that reddit thread had a link to a youtube video of some professional DOTA 2 moments, and.. that actually was entertaining to watch. For a month or so after that, I kept watching youtube links of DOTA 2 games because even if the game was boring to play, it was damn fun to watch. After that, I tried it out and I found I liked the game better because I actually understood the concepts of things like last hitting, denying, jungling, laning.. instead of just randomly doing stuff, and failing hard. :P

That is how I started DOTA 2, but I mentioned that I thought that DOTA 2 was a better game in terms of mechanics, so let me explain what I mean by that:

• DOTA 2 does not require you to buy heroes. They are all unlocked, meaning it is easy to get into (but damn overwhelming, due to the options).
  • Laning in DOTA 2 is not as set as stone as in LoL. If you pick a hero, you can fit that hero mostly whereever you want. LoL seemed to put certain heroes there and there was no substitute. DOTA is more flexible like that, and thus is more complex. There are of course heroes which fits certain positions better than others, and when you see the enemy has picked certain heroes, you expect them to go to certain lanes, but that is never guaranteed.
  • DOTA 2, as a game, has a more smooth gameplay than LoL. I think the mix of hero movement, camera use, degree of visual effects and such, is so vastly different that DOTA 2 feels better. For instance, I think the engine DOTA 2 runs on allows for smoother movement of camera and controlled units, as well as the fact that the visual effects are not overdone as they seemed to be in LoL. The game just played better (in my opinion).
  • DOTA 2 had couriers which actually brought you items you bought anywhere on the map, instead of having to go back to base, and then run back to lane as I had to in LoL (or I missed the courier option in LoL..?)
  • DOTA 2 had a lot of items with activation effects, making them purchased abilities, instead of stat sticks. They were kind of like the Hourglass thingy on LoL which made you invulnerable. This makes the gameplay a lot more complex, and you also have to buy items to counter their items, so you do not just face the team and their individual heroes, but also their purchases. This also means you, as a player, is forced to change your item builds according to the game you are in. The strategy level from that is just greater in DOTA than it was in LoL.
  • LoL seemed to have set roles, and that is that. DOTA 2 does not have that. Yes, a hero is better at being a carry, than being a ganker for instance, but heroes in DOTA 2 are generally more versatile and can be played in many different ways. Usually, DOTA 2 functions around a position system. Position 1 = Player on the team who will be given most farm, meaning the best carry. Position 5 = the major support who will always buy helpful consumables and will basically be the team slave, sacrificing their gold for the good of the team, and thus get almost no items. The higher your position, the more important you are. I have played support players as a position 1, simply because I got kills and then started to get so much gold and levels, I could keep going. I have played hard carries as a support, simply because I have been shut down in lane. It works, and that is what makes DOTA 2 more versatile and complex.
  • DOTA 2 is just more intense and the action starts right away. My impression of LoL was this: "Farm lanes for a bit, get ready, then fight and if we do that, we can do Nashor so we can crush them after". In DOTA 2, if you have the team for it, you can just do Roshan (Nashor backwards, LoL kind of stole that.. :P) at level 1 before the creeps spawn, and then you all get a massive advantage right away. Also, the game is far more aggressive in DOTA 2. Most first bloods happen in the first 3 minutes, and many happen before the game even starts.

To sum up: I just think DOTA 2 is far more complex, diverse and more intense than League of Legends, while also having a lot smoother gameplay. It just felt better to play. Also, the community is fairly nice and supportive of the game. (*points to The International 4 pricepool.) :P

You got to tell me what that is, because I have no clue. :P

I will start with the teaching part first, since I think I will spend more time writing that answer. You are probably right about the part where you say that a good teacher is the best thing ever for a student. I do not believe in the "Let us write stuff on the blackboard all session, and you listen", type of teaching. While there are times you have to go through a presentation or write down notes on the keyboard, I think the most important part for making education good, is to target the audience and make it feel relevant. When I went to study pedagogy, we were told that a good teacher, is also a good actor and an entertainer, being able to grow enthusiasm out of nowhere. As a historian, I find fitting stories to tell to fit into my lessons, for instance. My class enters the subject of cruelty towards other human beings? Well, I have extensive knowledge about ancient torture methods, so that always captivate them and telling them a few, before hitting them with my main argument just after, always gets them to learn.

There is a US presidential election and they do not know who Mitt Romney is? Well, I showed them a spoof on Gangnam Style (when it was a fad) called "Mitt Romney Style"; then had them investigate whether or not the spoof was true or a part of political propaganda. Stuff like that tends to entertain, and then get them in the right mood to want to learn.

Also, I can safely say that most teachers fall into the habit of asking unimportant questions such as "Do you understand?", which is questions they can answer easily, or will lie about to appear knowledgeable. We need to ask more good questions aimed at making students think and reflect, because those are the questions that matter. :P

I think my general stance is that a good teacher makes it easier to do well in school, simply because we are motivators. No matter how knowledgeable a student is, they need someone cheering them on, and I believe in doing just that. That usually makes me grow strong bonds to my students, because they realise I care, and then they try their best to disappoint. I generally have a lot of success by doing that. :P

Well I actually tested out LoL and Dota 2 at the same time. I wanted to try the genre and see what the hype was, and I was utterly disappointed in both games, so I just quit. Of the two though, my opinion was that DOTA 2 was simply the better game in mechanics, but the genre sucked hard, so I quit.

Fast forward a few months, and I come across some link to the DOTA2 reddit about an update, and how players were extatic. Personally, I was like "But the game is awful.", but that reddit thread had a link to a youtube video of some professional DOTA 2 moments, and.. that actually was entertaining to watch. For a month or so after that, I kept watching youtube links of DOTA 2 games because even if the game was boring to play, it was damn fun to watch. After that, I tried it out and I found I liked the game better because I actually understood the concepts of things like last hitting, denying, jungling, laning.. instead of just randomly doing stuff, and failing hard. :P

That is how I started DOTA 2, but I mentioned that I thought that DOTA 2 was a better game in terms of mechanics, so let me explain what I mean by that:

• DOTA 2 does not require you to buy heroes. They are all unlocked, meaning it is easy to get into (but damn overwhelming, due to the options).
  • Laning in DOTA 2 is not as set as stone as in LoL. If you pick a hero, you can fit that hero mostly whereever you want. LoL seemed to put certain heroes there and there was no substitute. DOTA is more flexible like that, and thus is more complex. There are of course heroes which fits certain positions better than others, and when you see the enemy has picked certain heroes, you expect them to go to certain lanes, but that is never guaranteed.
  • DOTA 2, as a game, has a more smooth gameplay than LoL. I think the mix of hero movement, camera use, degree of visual effects and such, is so vastly different that DOTA 2 feels better. For instance, I think the engine DOTA 2 runs on allows for smoother movement of camera and controlled units, as well as the fact that the visual effects are not overdone as they seemed to be in LoL. The game just played better (in my opinion).
  • DOTA 2 had couriers which actually brought you items you bought anywhere on the map, instead of having to go back to base, and then run back to lane as I had to in LoL (or I missed the courier option in LoL..?)
  • DOTA 2 had a lot of items with activation effects, making them purchased abilities, instead of stat sticks. They were kind of like the Hourglass thingy on LoL which made you invulnerable. This makes the gameplay a lot more complex, and you also have to buy items to counter their items, so you do not just face the team and their individual heroes, but also their purchases. This also means you, as a player, is forced to change your item builds according to the game you are in. The strategy level from that is just greater in DOTA than it was in LoL.
  • LoL seemed to have set roles, and that is that. DOTA 2 does not have that. Yes, a hero is better at being a carry, than being a ganker for instance, but heroes in DOTA 2 are generally more versatile and can be played in many different ways. Usually, DOTA 2 functions around a position system. Position 1 = Player on the team who will be given most farm, meaning the best carry. Position 5 = the major support who will always buy helpful consumables and will basically be the team slave, sacrificing their gold for the good of the team, and thus get almost no items. The higher your position, the more important you are. I have played support players as a position 1, simply because I got kills and then started to get so much gold and levels, I could keep going. I have played hard carries as a support, simply because I have been shut down in lane. It works, and that is what makes DOTA 2 more versatile and complex.
  • DOTA 2 is just more intense and the action starts right away. My impression of LoL was this: "Farm lanes for a bit, get ready, then fight and if we do that, we can do Nashor so we can crush them after". In DOTA 2, if you have the team for it, you can just do Roshan (Nashor backwards, LoL kind of stole that.. :P) at level 1 before the creeps spawn, and then you all get a massive advantage right away. Also, the game is far more aggressive in DOTA 2. Most first bloods happen in the first 3 minutes, and many happen before the game even starts.

To sum up: I just think DOTA 2 is far more complex, diverse and more intense than League of Legends, while also having a lot smoother gameplay. It just felt better to play. Also, the community is fairly nice and supportive of the game. (*points to The International 4 pricepool.) :P

You got to tell me what that is, because I have no clue. :P

OO "rate my professor" is a website where students rate their teacher and then write comments about them.

I remember you saying you live in Norway and google brought me to this website. http://minlarer.no/

You make me want to play DOTA lol... I'm given up on LoL due to school and stuff and have no hopes of returning (IDK parents prayed all last year that I would quite playing so maybe LOL)

That Nashor thing is really funny lol.

My first impressions of DOTA (w/o playing it) is that it looks "dark" compared to league while league looks like a happier game.

About teaching; Are there students that take advantage of your teaching style as I can imagine that happening here...

I'm with you about building good bonds with students. Makes you want to impress the teacher. I feel they can even play a bigger role than parents as you are with them a bigger part of the day.

Oh, I checked and my school is not there. From the list, it seems that only upper secondary schools, colleges and universities are listed and I currently work in a lower secondary school. The site itself seems to be used very little, so I guess Norwegian students do not use those very much.

As for students taking advantage of my teaching style, I have to admit that I do not understand the question. What do you mean by taking advantage of it? :P

I do believe you are correct about schools and teachers having a pivotal role in how young adults end up being raised, but parents are far important. The thing is, a lot of parents fail as caregivers and that usually means that schools and teachers play a greater role. It is sad, but I do end up seeing a lot of tragedies and students that struggle in quite a few different ways, so it is always important to show them the respect and attention they deserve, just so they do not have a miserable life. It is sad though. :(

As for DOTA, then I think you are slightly right about the "dark" visuals. I mean, League of Legends seem to have a bit more "cartoonish" graphics style, but I would not call DOTA 2 really "Dark": Some parts of it is dark, yes, but there is a lot of additional humor as well.

As for whether or not DOTA 2 is a better game, then I would say it depends on the player. I think both are probably great games, but for someone like me, I prefer DOTA 2. I don't like being annoyed by mechanics, I like a game that is complex to master (LoL is very simple in comparison, mechanics-wise) and there is also the added benefit that it is easy to get into since you have all heroes unlocked.

A basic pro-scene game is a bit like this, by the way:

If you wonder, then this is a passive game. Many games end up having 1 or 2 kills per minute. :P

1 or 2 kills/minute is quite a bit LOL.

By taking advantage I mean just fool around in class, not pay attention, waste your time and their time.

I mean its kinda hard to be close with my parents (different views and what not) so I would rather have someone else I can talk to (I do)

A teacher is like an older role model I guess.

Parents do play a bigger role though but many neglect their children. I mean there should be a balance of paying attention to them and getting them what they need. Like if I ever wanted something like an iPod I ain't getting one. I feel this is wrong as I ask for stuff like once every 5 years.

How is the player base in DOTA. Size wise and raging wise LOL

This topic was kinda dead anyways.

Plus Yuan is very interesting...

@YUAN what age group do you teach?

By taking advantage I mean just fool around in class, not pay attention, waste your time and their time.

I mean its kinda hard to be close with my parents (different views and what not) so I would rather have someone else I can talk to (I do)

A teacher is like an older role model I guess.

Parents do play a bigger role though but many neglect their children. I mean there should be a balance of paying attention to them and getting them what they need. Like if I ever wanted something like an iPod I ain't getting one. I feel this is wrong as I ask for stuff like once every 5 years.

I think it is importnat to remember that a lot of students will fool around in class and not pay attention for good reasons. Some are burned out of school, some do not cope well with theoretical knowledge and are more practically orientated. Some students just do not like a teacher or a subject, and then there are those that has been abandoned at school in the past, usually be former teachers and thus are feeling resentful.

In such situations, it is usually important to try to get them up and running and give them support, and make sure they can feel a sense of mastery in one form or another. In general, I tell my students what I expect of them, and I let them tell me what they expect of me. Usually, by being honest to them, respectful and being able to alternate between being an entertainer and an educator, I generally have full control over my class. In general, it is all about being able to get to know your class and learn to talk to them as fellow human beings, and if you can establish some form of bond, they generally respect you enough.

It should not come as much of a surprise, but when we are going through something serious in class or I need their attention, I tell them that there is no room for messing around, and then they respect me enough to not step over the line "for lolz".

We do end up being role models though, you are right. I think one of the benefits of telling students that we are under an oath of confidentiality helps them to open up and trust us, but.. it is a very taxing thing as well. You get to hear some awful stories. :/

Aabid, try to look at the big picture though. While you might not get an iPod, even if you ask for very little, you are not the young teenage boy with anger issues because his father kept beating him from while he was very little, or the girl who found her mother hanging in the living room after she commited suicide and saying in her suicide note that she could deal with her daughter anymore. There are bad parents, and then there are god damn awful parents. I do not know your parents, so I will neither criticise or excuse them, but I think it is important for you to sit down and try to think about why your parents do and say the things they do, and then you must figure out if they are bad parents or not. For all I know, they might be very bad parents, but you are the expert. Just do not let your emotions cloud your judgment. ;)

Oh, and I teach in lower secondary school, so ages 13-16.

1 or 2 kills/minute is quite a bit LOL.

How is the player base in DOTA. Size wise and raging wise LOL

It is a very aggressive game, and as you can see from the video I linked, things got more and more aggressive as time went by. :P

There are, of course, toxic players and ragers but in general, the community seem fairly good. When you start out, in the "Noob" trench, you will find many rude people who keep blaming others because they suck themselves, but they think they know what they are doing, and thus they blame others. It generally gets better after that. :P

That said, in terms of size, then DOTA 2 has had 8,293,985 unique players the past month. An hour ago, 684,878 players were playing DOTA 2. It is in a bit of an upswing lately because The International 4 is coming up in a month (it is basically the World Championships of DOTA 2), and the price pool for the tournament is on about 9,3 million USD and climbing daily, so it has drawn a lot of attention which brings in many new players because they get interested hearing about the growing money price pool. :P

Edited by Yuanrang

Too many feels can't contain them all >.<

See what you told me; why can't my parents just sit down and tell me that. >.< ><<<<<<

Have you ever gotten so close to a student that even after they leave your school, you still talk to them?

It should not come as much of a surprise, but when we are going through something serious in class or I need their attention, I tell them that there is no room for messing around, and then they respect me enough to not step over the line "for lolz".

Yes this is very important. The teacher I told you about; we can chill in his class and w/e but when he says its time to be serious, everyone knows that there is no more room to fool around.

I'm 16 so technically you can be my teacher...

I might give DOTA a go in the summer. Holy cow 9.3 million is quite a bit....

How many students know about you and Sals?

Are you actually under an oath. I was reading about how teachers always share their students stories between each other...

Too many feels can't contain them all >.<

See what you told me; why can't my parents just sit down and tell me that. >.< ><<<<<<

Have you ever gotten so close to a student that even after they leave your school, you still talk to them?

Not everyone are so lucky to have two good parents who love and care for you. My father would probably be a hot candidate in the competition of "Worst father", and I am sure many others on this forum has struggled with similar issues, or even major issues with the teachers themselves. The important part is to never let it break you, and while it might cause you pain, sadness and a lot of issues.. that is nothing that therapy could potentially fix if you end up feeling really crushed by it in the end.

I usually tell my students that, even if someone has bad parents, does not mean you are a bad person. In general, people who go through a rough childhood learn to cope with it eventually, even if things are tough. Step by step, we move past the pain, and we become stronger as a result, being able to break a vicious cycle. :)

As for my former students, then yes, I do. Heck, the day before I entered my current holidays, we had the upcoming 8th grade coming to visit to see how their new school is, and meet their new teachers. While we were outside having a guided tour and some basic social activities, my former students (who now went to the upper secondary school located 300 meters away from the lower secondary school I work at) were having outdoors gymnastics (they were practicing orientation), and they ran past, stopped and chatted a bit. I meet them now and then, and some times they even come by school just to say hi. It is always a nice thing, and it is great to see them do well and be happy. :P

Are you actually under an oath. I was reading about how teachers always share their students stories between each other...

Yes, I am actually under an oath by Norwegian law. There are some exceptions. I can contact the parents during extreme circumstances whiich damages the minor in some form, but we always encourage the student to bring it up themselves. I am also required by law to contact various governmental services in situations where abuse, neglect and other damaging factors is causing the minor to be subject to harm.

Though, beyond the extreme cases, then I can not talk about specifics. I am allowed to say "I have a student which" or "I have had a student that", but I can not say "Student X had issue Y" to other people. This makes it easier for students to seek help when they need to, and then I can help refer them to professionals like the doctor's office, a psychiatrist, a nurse and so forth. Or, you know, just be there and listen to them if they feel they need that. :)

I might give DOTA a go in the summer. Holy cow 9.3 million is quite a bit....

Actually, it will be more than 9.3 million by the time the tournament starts. See, how it functions is that Valve donates 1,6M0 USD in the price pool. Then they release a digital booklet called a Compendium which players can buy for 10 USD. This compendium unlocks different rewards and such, and gives you a lot more indepth information about the event. It is basically something many players want.

Out of the 10 USD from the compendium, Valve takes 7,50 USD for themselves, and put 2,50 USD into the pricepool. Which means that the price pool has grown from 1,6M USD to 9,3M USD.

That means that 3 million and 80 thousand players have bought a compendium thus far, and since the price is growing each day, then the price pool is larger. The larger the price pool gets, the more stretch goal rewards we unlock as you can see here:

http://www.dota2.com/international/compendium/?sidebar

These rewards are split in 2: Some are only for compendium owners, and some is for everyone, and which will be released as soon as Valve can finish and release them. They are usually fast, and update the game fairly often.

You are probably looking at a final price pool of about 11 to 13 million USD at the end of it all. /r/Dota2 has been laughing a bit about that, because out of 293 tournaments in League of Legends, the total winnings combined in LoL has been 11,6 million USD. In one single tournament, we are about to surpass the total pricepool of all those 293 tournaments combined. :P

I am fairly sure that is going to be the Summer Sale slot, yes. As a 10-card badge, that makes sense and the Summer Sale is around the corner so.. expect it within a month. :P

I believe it's the 19th-30th June:

inSRPSD.jpg

Well then, get ready Reep, your Steam account will be flooded with notices of me now owning new games as always. :xd:

Actually, when thinking about it, you are just as bad as me! :o

guys what the fudge is going on????????????????????

has this turned into the yuan show co-hosted by aabid??

rMzZvt8.png

guys what the fudge is going on????????????????????

has this turned into the yuan show co-hosted by aabid??

rMzZvt8.png

Very accurate representation of me.

I'll get back to you @Yuan when I have time. Exams tmrw >.<