Sal's RuneScape Forum
Guitarguy

Phobias

Discuss shizzle that scares you.

Please don't get into the supposedly mind-boggling linguistics of the suffix "-phobia". Yes, there are many words that may contain it, and in fact infinite words, because these particular words, as do many, come from roots of other words, of which there are literally countless. Triskaidekaphobia is a thing, as are the less-credited enneakaidecaphobia and heptacosioiphobia and indeed as many others as there are numbers, but you will never find any of the three and counting in a dictionary because, like pneumonoultramicrosscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis, they only exist for the sake of our unfounded lexicological lust.

Moving on!

I have no particular fears that inordinately or extremely exceed the average among humans, but my greatest is likely that of insects (and arachnids etc., you elitists). If I may be so egoistic as to claim that my phobias are superior, I believe that this fear is relatively justified. Wanting to avoid the presence of a bee or spider might spare you physical ailments, whereas, say, being afraid of thunder will not decrease your already negiligible chances of being electrocuted.

Another topic of interest is needles. I find needles to be just as scary as they should be. That is, I realize that the pain I will momentarily endure is not too great or too small, and my fear is proportionally not too great or small. A phobia, in my understanding, is irrationally perceiving such a possible torment as greater than it truly is.

Share yours!

Buttons

Probably most weird person here

Phobais like weird stuff? I can't think of any.

Loved ones getting alzheimers is probably the worst.

Edited by Zooey

Used to get seriously anxious in situations where I might get an electric shock, it's not so bad anymore now that I haven't experienced it in a while. Still do not enjoy static shocks, at all.

Sometime last year I became a pretty big germophobe. I also hate heights and rollercoasters.

Buttons

Probably most weird person here

'Probably'

:cute:

Nothing particularly strong, though I generally hate creepy crawlies. I do try to get over it and not murder every bug I see.

Trains. I hate trains. Freight trains, specifically. Motherfudgein' horns and barreling monsters of weight and heat and noise.

This presented a series of difficulties when I lived in Chicago which was, to my estimation, just one giant train.

But yeah. You don't want to be in a car with me if we have to be the first one to stop at a crossing when the blinky arms go down.

Spiders and any large insects/creepy crawlies.

Yuanrang going on a drunk banning spree

Your fears are misplaced.

Yeah he doesn't have time cause he's just banning members.

(I'm sorry)

Stinging insects, not sure what that is called. Heights a little but not too much. Also of confusing salt and sugar when I am making my coffee :deformed:

Yeah I'm afraid of wasps. Used to be bad, now it's getting better. My fear of illegally bumping topics died years ago.

Does anyone have that thought of "What would happen if I jumped...?" when at high places?

Yeah I'm afraid of wasps. Used to be bad, now it's getting better. My fear of illegally bumping topics died years ago.

Does anyone have that thought of "What would happen if I jumped...?" when at high places?

Yep yep yep make it stop make it stop oh lord nope nope nope nope

I'm still loath to get near the balcony of a tall building, for example.

I'm afraid of spiders the most. I will freak the fudge out sometimes.

I'm also afraid of bees/wasps/yellowjackets because I don't know if I'm allergic or not.

I also get vertigo sometimes. I'm not afraid of heights, but sometimes if I'm on a ledge (even like 3 foot drop ledge), I'll get really nervous/nauseous

Lastly, I get claustrophobic when I stress out.

Edited by Gary Oak

Oh boy.

I fear being followed, usually at night. Unless I'm with friends, I find myself looking behind me every twenty steps or so, which is probably more a paranoia rather than a fear. Other than that, I become scared only when I think about how vast and unexplained the universe is and wonder what this life is really all about, though I believe everyone has those thoughts occasionally.

There was an interesting comment on a great TV show (Louie). What it came down to is that the only reason people are afraid of standing on the edge is because deep down they're afraid they're going to jump.

That sounds familiar, I think I might have heard that soundbyte. But yeah, it seems a very reasonable thing to say.

Other than that, I become scared only when I think about how vast and unexplained the universe is and wonder what this life is really all about, though I believe everyone has those thoughts occasionally.

Sometimes I try to understand infinity, the idea that after I die the universe will go on forever (for all practical purposes) and my mind gets boggled.

There was an interesting comment on a great TV show (Louie). What it came down to is that the only reason people are afraid of standing on the edge is because deep down they're afraid they're going to jump.

That sounds familiar, I think I might have heard that soundbyte. But yeah, it seems a very reasonable thing to say.

Yeah I have this jumping this too. I usually just pull back after though LOL can't trust myself

I have a fear of heights but it seems to only really matter with tall buildings/structures. I've been on the edge of huge cliffs and ridden in planes and it didn't bother me at all but stick me up at the top of a tall building (it varies depending on the building but lets say more than 6 stories tall) and I really, really don't like it.

im not afraid of them tall stuff as long as i dont have to think about losing my balance and falling or smth lol seems scary that

Why the hell is there that need to jump at high places? There can't be some evolutionary reason for it.

And I'm glad I'm not the only person who has this feeling. Thought I was messed up. :rolleyes2:

Why the hell is there that need to jump at high places? There can't be some evolutionary reason for it.

And I'm glad I'm not the only person who has this feeling. Thought I was messed up. :rolleyes2:

Part of your brain thinks there is no apparent danger with regards to heights, while part of it thinks there is. So there's an urge to find out I guess. That's what I've heard anyways.