Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Seaconmorae

Another game suggestions.

I'm looking for a good strategy game, like Age of Empires, but not the AoE Online. I have played Dota 2, and I played League of Legends, but I got bored of both of those quick. Preferably free, because if I'm gonna spend money, I might as well buy the AoE 3 combo pack.

You won't find a game of Age of Empires-level quality for free.

At all.

If, however, you will consider paid options, Europa Universalis IV is sorta like Age of Empires but a lot more complex. At the same time it's like Civ V without the turn-based gameplay, and also still more complex.

Edited by Amber Pyre

At all.

If, however, you will consider paid options, Europa Universalis IV is sorta like Age of Empires but a lot more complex. At the same time it's like Civ V without the turn-based gameplay, and also still more complex.

Is it safe to assume that you play/played this? How much more advanced? Is it worth it to get this instead of getting the AoE 3 combo pack? They are the same exact price

At all.

Is it safe to assume that you play/played this? How much more advanced? Is it worth it to get this instead of getting the AoE 3 combo pack? They are the same exact price

1) Yep, 56 hours.

2) Advanced enough that after 3 days of gametime I still haven't found everything out about it.

3) First off, get AoE2HD on Steam during the summer sale if you haven't already. Then, get both AoE3 and EU4, because I recommend them both equally. EU4 is more complex and has a lot more to do (plus there's lots of fun to be had with countries going apeshizzle in Europe), but AoE's simplicity makes it a lot easier to get into and have lots of fun with. If, however, you somehow cannot afford 25 dollars this summer, buy AoE3 first and enjoy it, then buy EU4 over the Christmas sale and enjoy it. It'll be a bit easier to get into if you have experience with AoE/Civ/related first. Mostly AoE, because AoE is the best RTS I've ever played.

Edited by Amber Pyre

I have $40 dollars to spend right now, I know for a fact that I love these kinds of games, as I grew up playing AoE with my father. I have no problem buying EU4 right now, if you suggest that right now. I just need a new game to play.

civilization 5 is in discount on the net atm with all the expansions included for under $20

you just have to find the right site where the discount is the biggest this week/day

on gamersgate it's 40$ now for the complete edition which is still a good price

also rts: starcraft 2, still the best around and great multiplayer

also if you want to know where age of empires stole all their good ideas try Seven Kindoms 1 and 2

3$ each on gog http://www.gog.com/game/seven_kingdoms_ancient_adversaries

Edited by Egghebrecht

I have $40 dollars to spend right now, I know for a fact that I love these kinds of games, as I grew up playing AoE with my father. I have no problem buying EU4 right now, if you suggest that right now. I just need a new game to play.

Perfect. If you wait for Steam's summer sale to hit (should be next week or so, I believe), you should be able to get all the AoE they have, plus EU4, and maybe the entire Civ5 for almost exactly 40 dollars, if they do the discounts I think they're going to do.

For RTS games such as Age of Empires, Steam is likely to have major discounts on Age of Mythology and Red Alert 3, while Blizzard sells Starcraft 2.

For more tactical kingdom management games, you have Europa Universalis 4 and Civilization 5, and there is also Total War: Shogun 2 for the more strategy aspect of warfare, if you like that.

All of the above will be in the Steam Summer Sale I think, other than Starcraft 2.

I went ahead and bought Europa last night, Liking it so far. I got too excited and couldn't resist :blush:

I'll be buying others when summer sale hits

I wasted so many hours in Europa Universalis 3. EU4 is one of those games I will eventually get once I want a grand adventure. There is something incredibly epic about that game in how it tries to put you into the position of global politics. :P

I went ahead and bought Europa last night,

NO NO NO

But the thing happened!

Argh!

I'm looking for a good strategy game, like Age of Empires, but not the AoE Online. I have played Dota 2, and I played League of Legends, but I got bored of both of those quick. Preferably free, because if I'm gonna spend money, I might as well buy the AoE 3 combo pack.

If you want a free and RTS, then get on that Pirate Ship and get yourself Rise of Nations. It's a classic. That and any of the C&C games. Generals is like, the serious C&C game and the opposite of Red Alert's wacky.

You can Age of Empires III with the expansions on the high seas too. The campaign alone will keep you occupied for a few days.

I wasted so many hours in Europa Universalis 3. EU4 is one of those games I will eventually get once I want a grand adventure. There is something incredibly epic about that game in how it tries to put you into the position of global politics. :P

I remember trying to stop the spread of Protestantism by intervening militarily in the Low Countries as Spain. It was a disaster. :box:

I remember trying to stop the spread of Protestantism by intervening militarily in the Low Countries as Spain. It was a disaster. :box:

As Norway, I tried to split from Denmark and Sweden in hope of unifying Scandinavia. My approach to do this was to ally myself with Great Britain who, shortly after, told the entire Western Europe sans Portugal to get lost.

It was nothing short of a spectacular failiure. :xd:

I'm bumbling around in EU4, trying to do the things. It's not working well

What got me started was looking at the wiki, choosing a faction I want to play, and then generally try to find some basic strategies for that faction. That gives you a nice start, and you slowly start learning why function X has the beneficial outcomes Y and Z, and so forth. :P

It can be very daunting, that is for sure. :blink:

Maybe I should see if anyone has a lets play on youtube, that way I can learn some of the basics.

Edited by Seaconmorae

Europa Universalis IV is so much better than III it's not even funny, you don't know what you're missing Yuan. :P

It's superior in every aspect, but the one thing that made me fall in love for it is the new coring system. No more waiting 50 years to get conquered provinces to become cores. That makes the game so much more enjoyable. And you can also change the culture of provinces to make it even better.

Europa Universalis IV is so much better than III it's not even funny, you don't know what you're missing Yuan. :P

It's superior in every aspect, but the one thing that made me fall in love for it is the new coring system. No more waiting 50 years to get conquered provinces to become cores. That makes the game so much more enjoyable. And you can also change the culture of provinces to make it even better.

The only reason for me not getting it is not because I do not want to play it, because damn it, I do... but you get to see how often I play on Steam, and when I play, it is mostly Dota 2 which I am hooked in. In my library, there is a ton of games I have not played, and I just can not find the time commit to a game such as EU 4. I still have to start Civ 5 and Shogun 2: TW for the massive empire management games. :xd:

At this rate they'll release Civ VI before you give V a try. :P

Also Seacon you're a Game of Thrones fan right? If you're into strategy games I suggest you resist buying A Game of Thrones: Genesis. It's a horrible, horrible game. What a massive waste of money. Seriously. I didn't find a single decent positive review in the game's steam page but I still decided to give it a try because I just completely love GoT and I thought I could get over the game's flaws. I was wrong. So very wrong.

It's just bad really. I completed the tutorial and maybe the two first missions of the first campaign and gave up. Even in the lowest possible graphics settings available the game still lags as heck, and the graphics are just average at best. Like slightly above AoM level. I know for sure the problem isn't my computer because it runs games with much higher requirements with no lag at all. But yeah it's just bad, the screenshots and vídeos make it seem like some sort of Battle for Middle Earth or Command & Conquer but it's not.

Actually, I have played Civ 5 for about 22 hours, but it is not what I would consider "a lot".

Speaking of Game of Thrones, Micael... I imagine you know that Crusader Kings 2 is pretty much Europa Universalis 4 centred around the Crusades, due to it being made by the same company? What you might not know is that Crusader Kings 2 has a Song of Ice and Fire modification, and I hear it is pretty good (which is sort of why I want to get Crusader Kings 2). Might just be something to remember come the next sale. :P

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines and Privacy Policy.