Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sobend

Thoughts on display name changes?

I've wanted to bring up this topic for quite some time now but I'm not sure how popular this would be because over half of Sal's Realm has changed their name at one point. The recent freeing up of more display names led me to do this though. I'm not a fan of name changes. I've always considered names to be someone's identity, like in real life, and I dislike how people can change it quickly and often. It's very confusing when an old friend PMs me and I have no idea who they are.

Another thing of course is name prestige. No names make you go "Wow, someone with 'xyz' name!" because you can just change to that name years after the account has been created.

So those are my thoughts. What do you think? I don't mind temporary joke names or getting rid of numbers (like going from Joshboy943 to Joshboy), but everything else gets on my nerves.

Edited by Sobend

I hate name changing with a passion. I've always been the sort of player that is active but takes a two-five months break once in a while (depending on how busy or bored of the game I am). Ever since the name change update everytime I return from one of my breaks I don't recognise 40-60% of the people in my friends list. I hate having to ask who they are, and I hate when I'm talking to someone in the chat I know and completely forget I know said person because of multiple name changes.

I think it's more that I dislike when people feel the need to constantly change their username than the update itself. Because in some cases the update can be very useful like getting rid of numbers or correcting a mistake made a long time ago. I don't oppose having a friend changing his account's username to something they like better, but I hope they are really sure that's the name they want and stick to it.

So yeah definitely know how you feel. There have been times I deleted people I know because I had no idea who they were, and when it happens and they complain about it I just tell them perhaps they shouldn't have changed their god damn usernames 5767865897 times.

I don't really like name changes. I think one is good for people who didn't realize they'd be stuck with the name for years but if you change it ten times that's too much. I also hate how they delete old names. I logged into an account for the first time in awhile only to find that its original, clever name had been deleted. Thankfully, no one had taken it yet so I was able to take the name back :cute: One example of the excesses of name changing is when entire clans change their names so that they don't get recognized during wars/run-ins. It's not mandatory but if you don't do it you are at a disadvantage. You guys both have original names with no numbers so I can see why you are extra-frustrated.

I personally didn't like my username at first but by the time name changes came about I had already been playing 4-5 years and I thought my identity here was already solidified. At least it was manly, could have been barbie585 or something.

Edited by Shooter585

The negative aspect of losing your identity almost always outweighs the benefits, in my opinion. I barely even play the guitar, but I don't want to screw everybody over with a name change -.-.

If there was an option to see the user's original name I wouldn't dislike it as much. Every time I log in once in a blue moon I have to ask almost everyone on my friends list who they are.

I changed several times until I stuck on my current name though, so yeah

Every name I've had has had "Nit" in it somewhere so most people know its me. And I usually make a point to say in the chat that it is me. I like being able to change my name if I think of something creative (rare) or funny (even more rare).

But it sucks when you have to ask who people are, I agree.

If there was an option to see the user's original name I wouldn't dislike it as much.

There is such an option, click "add note"

Changed mine recently in support of a friend's band. Will be changing back soon :>

You guys are being so negitibe about name changing, I mean some people change and others don't and if you're going to be "others". thats ok. Though, the "some people" might need a little support from friends because they change they're likes and you change yours. So get out there and Support!

negative*

Don't forget that jagex forces name changes if you are reported for your name, i have had names with no swearing, no bs, and still been forced to change my name. Luckyly, that won't happen to my normal name :P

I'm not a fan of changing names. I chose the best name upon creating then suddenly you have to change it. Having strangers on friend's list is also a headache. I hate sending messages just to ask who they are.