Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Phoenix Rider

Which Pony is Best Pony?

Fluttershy serves as the epitome of the show's didactic structure. Sure, the other ponies have their own archetypal characteristics in the form of the Elements of Harmony (except Twilight's "Magic" -- wtf), but kindness is the ultimate goal of everypony's behaviors. In all scenarios concerning Fluttershy, her input is only beneficial, and the episodes that circle around her tribulations are especially expressive of her altruistic tendencies. Her deeds are small as well as large, from single-handedly managing all the animals of Ponyville to silencing a cockatrice/dragon/Discord. I believe that the show should be renamed "MLP: Friendship is Kindness."

In conclusion, Fluttershy is best pony.

But Fluttershy is the most limiting when it comes to character and plot. We get the same thing from her every episode, the same thing. She's afraid and timid then either steps up at the last minute or goes on a complete, psycho rage. She shows little character progression during the whole series. That and her Key episode, It Ain't Easy Bein' Breezies, was the weakest of them all and had to rely on a Deus Ex Machina to solve the problem rather than her own epiphany.

She's way too overhyped man.

Fluttershy serves as the epitome of the show's didactic structure. Sure, the other ponies have their own archetypal characteristics in the form of the Elements of Harmony (except Twilight's "Magic" -- wtf), but kindness is the ultimate goal of everypony's behaviors. In all scenarios concerning Fluttershy, her input is only beneficial, and the episodes that circle around her tribulations are especially expressive of her altruistic tendencies. Her deeds are small as well as large, from single-handedly managing all the animals of Ponyville to silencing a cockatrice/dragon/Discord. I believe that the show should be renamed "MLP: Friendship is Kindness."

But Fluttershy is the most limiting when it comes to character and plot. We get the same thing from her every episode, the same thing. She's afraid and timid then either steps up at the last minute or goes on a complete, psycho rage. She shows little character progression during the whole series. That and her Key episode, It Ain't Easy Bein' Breezies, was the weakest of them all and had to rely on a Deus Ex Machina to solve the problem rather than her own epiphany.

I disagree. Whatever degree of staticity is bothering you can be almost universally applied to the others. Pinkie Pie, for example, is always cheerful and energetic, with fewer exceptions coming to mind than those of Fluttershy. Likewise, her personal development equals that of her companions. Whereas she underwent significant difficulty to speak to Twilight in the beginning of the series, later episodes show a nearly complete absence of her timidity. This progression manifests itself in the show's didacticism as well. In contrast to your opinion on the episode "It Ain't Easy Being Breezies", I find that Fluttershy learned a practical moral, and properly utilized it to solve the problem. Previously, she had subconsciously thought that kindness applied only in the short-term, and was consequently reluctant to guide the Breezies home. However, she later realized that the kindest thing she could have done was to force the Breezies out of her home, in an action as assertive as her experience with the bees. Such a successful revelation is a clear indication that Fluttershy carries out her accomplishments of her own volition.

I disagree. Whatever degree of staticity is bothering you can be almost universally applied to the others. Pinkie Pie, for example, is always cheerful and energetic, with fewer exceptions coming to mind than those of Fluttershy. Likewise, her personal development equals that of her companions. Whereas she underwent significant difficulty to speak to Twilight in the beginning of the series, later episodes show a nearly complete absence of her timidity. This progression manifests itself in the show's didacticism as well. In contrast to your opinion on the episode "It Ain't Easy Being Breezies", I find that Fluttershy learned a practical moral, and properly utilized it to solve the problem. Previously, she had subconsciously thought that kindness applied only in the short-term, and was consequently reluctant to guide the Breezies home. However, she later realized that the kindest thing she could have done was to force the Breezies out of her home, in an action as assertive as her experience with the bees. Such a successful revelation is a clear indication that Fluttershy carries out her accomplishments of her own volition.

But can't you say that whilst Rarity may be a drama queen and Pinkie Pie a party goer, those are just small samples of their personality? We get to explore more of their emotional struggles and see more deeper (darker) conflicts like in "Rarity in Manehatten" or "Pinkie Pride" simply because they have more characterization to offer.

Contrast that with Fluttershy and Applejack where we already know everything about them and their personalities. We've already seen how deep their conflicts with their inner self can go and thus we know what to expect. Applejack will get too stubborn and ride the moral high horse (pardon the pun) and Fluttershy will overcome her timid nature in the end of every episode. Don't get me wrong though. That's still pretty heart-warming. But if you consider how we delved into Pinkie's psyche and inherent desire to please in other episodes, the Fluttershy conflicts pale in comparison.

I liked the morals and Fluttershy's character exposition in the Breezies episode but the plot was weak at best and took away Fluttershy's thunder. It wasn't her efforts and her epiphany that solved the crisis. No, it was Twilight's magic in the end that saved the way.

I won't say the Fluttershy is the worst character but she's certainly not the deepest and greatest depiction of the show's central themes.

Edited by Phoenix Rider

Valid points Phoenix, however I think I retain my opinion on how I like Fluttershy the best.

I do put a lot of thought into the importance of character development as part of the complexity of a character, but that isn't necessarily the only thing. A problem with a lot of the character development in MLP (especially I think in season 4) is that a lot of the major "developments" occur very suddenly and seem forced. The one they handled the best I think was Twilight's adapting to princesshood, because overall it was spread out over the course of an entire season (and I wouldn't be surprised if it continues as a theme into season 5).

Fluttershy remaining shy and timid I think is actually a very good thing to stay consistent. It is important lesson to teach that people can change and come really out of their shell, but it is equally important to teach that is just how shy/introverted people are and they shouldn't be forced to change. Society as a whole places a huge emphasis on being very open and outgoing, and generally sidelines those are are not unmotivated or lazy. But for many people who are like that, it isn't something they can switch off - it's part of who they are, and that's important to note. Fluttershy does show some growth, but it is always in small steps at a pace that she determines, such as in the Ponitones episode when, despite her progress, draws a line and says she does not want to be more public about her singing.

I will say though, most of the Fluttershy episodes are not the best - I hope that she does get an episode that does her justice in season 5.

The proposition that Twilight was the savior of the episode with the Breezies is silly, not because she did not contribute anything, but because it is the character in focus that matters. I'm sure that if you look at any episode, you'll see that the protagonist pony did not singlehoofedly undergo and solve the quandary on her own. Smaller contributions come from other characters, expressing the importance of friendship. But it was Fluttershy who, in that episode, utilized the moral in order to repair the broken cog in the conflict.

And Dimos brings up an important point. Introversion is often looked down upon as a problem to be eventually fixed (most likely because those who say so are extroverts, and we speak with them more often because they're, wait for it, extroverts. I read a relevant article on this in the past, but unfortunately couldn't find it), but MLP doesn't hold that bias. Fluttershy is inherently shy, and that's obviously a defining characteristic. It's also worth mentioning that when she steps up at the end of her episodes, she isn't valiantly overcoming her timidity or anything; it's easy to mistake reservation with fear or weakness. She solves the problem via a moral, just like anybody else. It just so happens that her behavior during these periods is ostensibly unlike her true self.

Edited by Guitarguy

Guys can you stop this so I can go back to my delusion that all this brony presence on the forums is just satire

Nope. My soul is filled with ponies. I mean, have you seen my room?

a9nTqJv.jpg

y6lpn4M.jpg

fSGEywZ.jpg

I'll start with a list from best to worst, then elaborate.

1. Worst written character in the show

2. Writers stopped caring 2 seasons ago

3. shizzle

4. double shizzle

5. triple shizzle

6. pls

Guys can you stop this so I can go back to my delusion that all this brony presence on the forums is just satire

see if therapy will help with your problem Edited by Zooey

Did you have to fight your parents to let you decorate your room like that or did they just not want grandchildren?

Did you have to fight your parents to let you decorate your room like that or did they just not want grandchildren?

My gf is the one who got me into ponies.

My gf is the one who got me into ponies.

Is that just the gender they identify as?

Beautiful. 10/10

[all pictures gone]

jesus christ

It's not tho, it's quite a disease :<

You are all mistaken, Pinkie Pie is and always will be, BEST PONY!!!!!

Thank you. Can we move on now?

I'm pretty sure I wrote a blog on watching the first two episodes of MLP with a friend of mine, because you can't truly knock it until you try it.

How the actual fudge do people watch this? This is coming from someone who likes children's cartoons.

I'm pretty sure I wrote a blog on watching the first two episodes of MLP with a friend of mine, because you can't truly knock it until you try it.

How the actual fudge do people watch this? This is coming from someone who likes children's cartoons.

We could possibly have different a different taste in entertainment.

We could possibly have different a different taste in entertainment.

The premiere (and a lot of season 1, barring a few iconic episodes) also isn't that representative of the whole show.