Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
-Leaf-

tables

Is it possible to format a table and post it on the forums? I see that there are options for HTML code so I'm not sure if that could do it.

If not, are there any plans to add this functionality?

Tables are tough to get in to BBC due to the number of attributes used to define a table. You need dimensions, that is not easy to put in to BBCode. :<

There are mods out there that can set up "Allow some HTML" in posts, allowing admin's to control the tag's that people are able to use....

Is there something specific you are trying to do that you could use perhaps some positioned images using bbcode to simulate a table style post. Mind you this gives you none of the attributes allowed by the <table> tag, but you can trick the viewer in to thinking that is what they are viewing, when really, its some shotty images with a bit of text.

Source: Have actually designed a fake table/spreadsheet using images and simple text. In forum posts.

Edited by Iamyouronly

I don't believe it's possible at this time to make a table. Your best bet would be to just create a table in some other piece of software (Word, Excel, w/e), take a screenshot of that and post the image.

I don't believe it's possible at this time to make a table. Your best bet would be to just create a table in some other piece of software (Word, Excel, w/e), take a screenshot of that and post the image.

While this seems fast and easy, it's a nother process in a method that is supposed to be simple and he is probably doing out of convenience factor. Having to line up different text cells in 1 document can be a pain in the behind for an inexperienced user, even experienced ones. Using something that is static, while having editable components would mean faster updating and eliminates the need to upload an image every time a simple edit is done.

I will see if i can find the one i did for a clan on PS3 years ago, although having an IPB extension would be the best method, may not be feasible at the moment.

Edited by Iamyouronly

well it's meant for a guide submission. I think the website can use tables so I guess I'll just get someone to convert it when it's uploaded.

Website can create tables. Just use word/excel to make a table and we can figure the rest out.

If you know HTML and want to give us the code for the table that would be sweet.

Lol...if it is for the main site, of course tables are to be used. That is basic HTML structuring :P Your question specifically said 'forums' though :P

odam

There is a function in the 'special' tags button, but it doesn't work very well! Have a look at the third button in from the left on top :>

just							might							work											Think?							Maybe?							works?			

nvm it REALLY doesn't work at all lmao.

If you need help structuring in HTML it is something i've done a million times over so feel free to pm

Edited by Iamyouronly

In related news I'd love to be able to make tables on the forum. An IPB extension that allows this shouldn't be too hard to add, so yay?

I was also wondering this because I was planning on using tables later, is there any more convenient (and readable) way than taking a picture of excel? I don't really care how pretty it looks on the forums. How have people done it in the past?

In related news I'd love to be able to make tables on the forum. An IPB extension that allows this shouldn't be too hard to add, so yay?

Seems it's there but it doesn't work so well, it would require some back end editing or maybe a bit of re-tinkering simply.

I'll keep testing out what i can with the special tags, i had not noticed just how many there are actually set up in there :o

Is there any reason that we could not just add it as a custom bbc, in the designated bbc section in the ACP for IPB, there is a tool that will add BBC to the forum simply by typing in the equivalent HTML code. I.E. <table> would become [table], <tr> -> [tr], <td> -> [td], and so on until most table tags are added, or at least enough to make a basic structured table. I am not sure if this would work, but it might be worth even trying those 3 tags i mentioned to see if we can generate some results :P

Hey

hi sals :evil:
tables

need more work

Exactly :) Nice one. Now work on it so i can add attributes! Lol jk.

I think that will work for now, but it could look really ugly on larger monitors lol. Without a way to define size or relative size, it will continue indefinitely until something definitive stops it (the post table for example)

Also, there is no chance of having the forum break? I've seen some nasty forum breaking with html enabled, where if you leave an end tag open you could close one that is deep within the forum somewhere, closing your post early and breaking the site somewhat lmao.

y u

dodat

Hey

hi sals :evil:
tables

need more work

May want to check permissions on that...I cannot replicate your results shu....

Edited by Iamyouronly

The BBC won't be parsed (or whatever the right word is) if opening/ending tags don't match up. I've played around with it a bit, and it seems to tolerant of a lot of potential screwups. I'm still messing around with this, so for now only admins can use the table bbcodes

Feel free to PM if you get stuck or want ideas/another set of eyes. I have done this before.

I was also wondering this because I was planning on using tables later, is there any more convenient (and readable) way than taking a picture of excel? I don't really care how pretty it looks on the forums. How have people done it in the past?

As stated previously in this topic, no, taking a picture is about the only way, unless you make one out of random symbols like | and - which would be incredibly ugly/annoying to keep maintained.