Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
King of Limbs

UK's New Tactic on Piracy

I feel this could spark more of a debate than the other threads in the Breaking News subforum, and also this is not a single event but an aggregation of decisions and legislation.

From BBC: http://www.bbc.com/n...nology-28374457

People in the UK who persistently pirate music and movies will soon start getting emails warning them that their actions are illegal.

The warnings are part of a larger scheme that aims to educate people about copyright and legal ways to enjoy digital content.

Starting next year, up to four warnings annually will be sent to households suspected of copyright infringement. But if people ignore the warnings, no further action will be taken.

The warning system is the result of four years' wrangling between internet service providers (ISPs) and industry bodies representing music and movie-makers.

In addition, rights holders wanted warning letters to mention the potential penalties people would face for copyright infringement and access to a database of known illegal file-sharers. The years of talks brokered by the government have led to the creation of the Voluntary Copyright Alert Programme (Vcap) that uses warnings via email or post.

The UK's biggest ISPs - BT, TalkTalk, Virgin and Sky - have signed up to Vcap. Many smaller ISPs are expected to join later.

In addition, the UK government has pledged to contribute £3.5m to an education campaign that will promote legal ways to listen to music and watch movies.

Introducing the three-year educational scheme, Business Secretary Vince Cable said the initiative was all about supporting the UK's creative industries. "It's a difficult industry to pin down and it's also difficult to protect," he said. "But unless you protect it then it's an industry that cannot function.

I'm very skeptical of online news sources so here's a collection on the topic:

A few of these sources say that the Vcap will actually go into effect in summer of 2015, so it's not an immediate change.

Do you think this "educational" approach of anti-piracy will be more effective than heavily criminalizing piracy?

Or will this seemingly moral approach end up as an advertising ploy for legitimate media companies and provide a massive database of pirates for future exploitation?

Will other countries follow suit with the same open arms?

Edited by Kamaswami

To be honest, I find this to be the least-bad policy so far. Pirates will always pirate just as drug users will use drugs, regardless of legality. The key is to educate the drug users, rather than wasting time and money restricting their freedom. Of course some people will continue pirating even if they believe it's wrong, but it's counter-productive to aim for perfection.

Edited by Guitarguy

I've been a long time subscriber to the theory that if the authorities wanted to pursue copyright laws to the absolute letter of the law, they could pick any house at random for a raid & have a 90% chance of finding some pirated software/discs/music/movies. In practice its not worth pursuing because most of these are minimal end users rather than suppliers, not the show cases they want + expensive to boot.

The main risk of the above legislation is if the actual copyright holders & the industry get hold of the users information, lawyers will have a field day pursuing civil action even if the mainstream justice of the UK(or other nations if they follow suit) see it as pointless or cost ineffective.

"lurl wutz personal freedam?" -- British government

Well, I guess I can't leave out the role of the private sector in this. So there's that.

Edited by Thomas Jefferson