Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sobend

Suggestions

Personality - The site upgrade, while beneficial, did remove lots of personality from the site. For instance, all of the pictures of Sal in a Santa + rune + Dragon battleaxe, which is an image a lot of people associated with the site, were removed from the main page. Let's get some personality into the site again.

Organization - The site needs some organization. For one, the tips section is too large and needs to be divided up. Most importantly, give monster hunting / bossing it's own section. People are always looking for bossing guides but nobody can find them on here since they're buried in the tips section. Also give the newsletter a tab.

Social Media - This site has eh social media. Give the twitter and facebook account to someone who's sole job is to make a post every now and then about new guides, topics, or just random runescape things. It is actually a great way of reaching out to people. And no, if you're wondering, I'm not really interested in controlling the social media account :P.

Calcs- The calcs/planners are in need of an update. idk java :tongue:

Edited by Sobend

We don't have that much up-to-date boss/monster hunting stuff. I don't know if it deserves a section.

I think the site has more personality than most already really, maybe you're right about the site upgrade but our quest guides are fairly personal. The newsletter is also very personal compared to Tip.it times or whatever competition there is. You could bring back the old logo though, maybe to the 07 section of the site.

if (java assist = 100%){

system.out.println("I can help with java")}

Mind you i work full time :< I would be more able to code rather than collect data, if i had data given to me i could possibly compile myself.

-grabs software-

Edited by Iamyouronly

I think the site has more personality than most already really, maybe you're right about the site upgrade but our quest guides are fairly personal. The newsletter is also very personal compared to Tip.it times or whatever competition there is. You could bring back the old logo though, maybe to the 07 section of the site.

I would personally suggest a rebranding of the logo/banner, have classic images going to rs2 images going to rs3 images.

I would personally suggest a rebranding of the logo/banner, have classic images going to rs2 images going to rs3 images.

Extremely simply for someone with the software. Can we have some dimensions posted and perhaps some people would give a try to a new banner.

Completely agree with the second as you know, especially about creating a bossing section. I don't think there's much to discuss about that as I believe it's something everyone agrees with. But while we're at it we should just go ahead and completely dismantle the Tips section. (or maybe not, there's probably a couple guides that wouldn't fit anywhere else and don't deserve their own section now that I think about it)

Also agree with the newsletter tab, will probably give the CMS another try later tonight to see if we didn't overlook something by accident.

What happened to our partnership with I-can't-even-remember-the-name-of-our-partner's-site? I believe we had some decent calcs that we got rid of because our partner had better ones and it was decided we'd use theirs; maybe we could bring ours back? Obviously it won't be enough since most are probably outdated, but some of the work would be done already and it would be just a matter of improving what we already had/have rather than starting from scratch.

Completely agree with the second as you know, especially about creating a bossing section. I don't think there's much to discuss about that as I believe it's something everyone agrees with. But while we're at it we should just go ahead and completely dismantle the Tips section. (or maybe not, there's probably a couple guides that wouldn't fit anywhere else and don't deserve their own section now that I think about it)

Also agree with the newsletter tab, will probably give the CMS another try later tonight to see if we didn't overlook something by accident.

What happened to our partnership with I-can't-even-remember-the-name-of-our-partner's-site? I believe we had some decent calcs that we got rid of because our partner had better ones and it was decided we'd use theirs; maybe we could bring ours back? Obviously it won't be enough since most are probably outdated, but some of the work would be done already and it would be just a matter of improving what we already had/have rather than starting from scratch.

The Runewise site no longer exists.

Did the Runewise guy die? He disappeared.

I think he just disappeared and didn't die. There was a topic about it in the Runewise subforum (which has been removed) and someone found something from him from 2013 on an orienteering blog. But yeah, some people thought it was some tragic event that ended Runewise, but it's more likely to be a sudden loss of interest.

Would be nice if he told us (or somebody) something though :P Whatever, that's in the past.

If the place was shut down in a hurry, their may have been nobody to communicate to.

Besides, our own legs should be built rather than salvaged from the roots of others.

Even if it was shut down in a hurry Vaskor had/has a Sal's forum account with (perhaps limited?) moderator powers in his own section dedicated to Runewise. Sending a message informing a staff member wouldn't be too hard.

Really it's no big deal and nobody's mad, but informing your partner you're quitting before shutting down your website would be the nice thing to do, especially when your partner depended on your calculators and other tools.

Even if it was shut down in a hurry Vaskor had/has a Sal's forum account with (perhaps limited?) moderator powers in his own section dedicated to Runewise. Sending a message informing a staff member wouldn't be too hard.

Really it's no big deal and nobody's mad, but informing your partner you're quitting before shutting down your website would be the nice thing to do, especially when your partner depended on your calculators and other tools.

Unless you know something we don't, your assumptions are not concrete. You don't know what happened. Maybe he had a real life emergency out of his (or their) control. Things like this happen. The merge of Runewise was a clear sign that it was on a decline anyways. It sucks really but all things do eventually come to an end, and we must move on.

Still waiting on some dimensions to be posted. I am willing to pop out a digital piece if it will help bring unity to sal's and perhaps create a driving force that pushes progress.

Unless you know something we don't, your assumptions are not concrete. You don't know what happened. Maybe he had a real life emergency out of his (or their) control. Things like this happen. The merge of Runewise was a clear sign that it was on a decline anyways. It sucks really but all things do eventually come to an end, and we must move on.

Still waiting on some dimensions to be posted. I am willing to pop out a digital piece if it will help bring unity to sal's and perhaps create a driving force that pushes progress.

So what? I'm not saying shutting down his website was wrong if he had no other choice due to a real live emergency, but if he been active in some blog as Sobend pointed out clearly he had nothing stopping him from wasting 5 minutes contacting a staff member here. :huh:

As I said I couldn't care any less about the partnership, I just feel it'd have been nice we could have been informed he had no intention of keeping Runewise up rather than having us find out about it later his website was no longer available.

Edited by Micael Fatia

So what? I'm not saying shutting down his website was wrong if he had no other choice due to a real live emergency, but if he been active in some blog as Sobend pointed out clearly he had nothing stopping him from wasting 5 minutes contacting a staff member here. :huh:

As I said I couldn't care any less about the partnership, I just feel it'd have been nice we could have been informed he had no intention of keeping Runewise up rather than having us find out about it later his website was no longer available.

Then move on. Again, nothing you can do. Perhaps he did message a staff member that is now inactive but was not inactive at the time of the "merge". Maybe shutting down was hard and he doesn't want to discuss it, so many factors apply, you are going to drive yourself crazy trying to figure it out. Move along...

Maybe his message is sitting in Salmoneus' inbox waiting to be read lol.

You're implying I/we haven't moved on when in fact all I did was mention it would have been nice if he had contacted us. Whether he was able to or not or it was a "hard thing to do" as you put it doesn't change the fact that it would still be the nice and right thing to do. No idea why you're giving it more importance than it deserves.

Honestly would not be surprised if this was the case.

Personality - The site upgrade, while beneficial, did remove lots of personality from the site. For instance, all of the pictures of Sal in a Santa + rune + Dragon battleaxe, which is an image a lot of people associated with the site, were removed from the main page. Let's get some personality into the site again.

Are we talking redesign here? Fatalysm posted some neat designs awhile back. It would be totally doable if we want to do that.

Organization - The site needs some organization. For one, the tips section is too large and needs to be divided up. Most importantly, give monster hunting / bossing it's own section. People are always looking for bossing guides but nobody can find them on here since they're buried in the tips section. Also give the newsletter a tab.

I completely agree that the tips section really needs to be better organized. It's something that's been on the to-do list for a long time...

Social Media - This site has eh social media. Give the twitter and facebook account to someone who's sole job is to make a post every now and then about new guides, topics, or just random runescape things. It is actually a great way of reaching out to people. And no, if you're wondering, I'm not really interested in controlling the social media account :P.

++

Calcs- The calcs/planners are in need of an update. idk java :tongue:

I completely re-wrote the calculators to be easily updated just via a form - no coding needed!

Extremely simply for someone with the software. Can we have some dimensions posted and perhaps some people would give a try to a new banner.

The current banner is 1300x130px. The far-right edge fades into a solid color so that for wider resolutions the banner will still look good.

About a year ago we held a banner competition - maybe we should do that again?

Then move on. Again, nothing you can do. Perhaps he did message a staff member that is now inactive but was not inactive at the time of the "merge". Maybe shutting down was hard and he doesn't want to discuss it, so many factors apply, you are going to drive yourself crazy trying to figure it out. Move along...

Runewise shut down when I was still around every day. I can't believe you're insinuating that I don't read my PMs! :D

Runewise shut down when I was still around every day. I can't believe you're insinuating that I don't read my PMs! :D

Or maybe it was a trick to get you to post! Mwahahahahah :aware:

I will be designing when im home from my weekend trip :)

Also if those calc's are seriously that well designed, editing should be extremely simple. It is definitely a lot easier to edit than it is to build from the ground up. The fact that you have a form for it makes me a very happy person :)

You're implying I/we haven't moved on when in fact all I did was mention it would have been nice if he had contacted us. Whether he was able to or not or it was a "hard thing to do" as you put it doesn't change the fact that it would still be the nice and right thing to do. No idea why you're giving it more importance than it deserves.

Well the fact that you cannot seem to stop posting about it sort of implies it :P I was giving you a simple explanation as to 'possible reasons someone would do that'. Not looking to argue....

Edited by Iamyouronly

I don't think there is a lot we can do about the design of the website without changing it completely, unless we are talking backgrounds and stuff,

You've peaked my interests though!

I'm happy to make a load of designs up for this place.

I would like to point out, yes it's lost personality, but it hasn't really gained the relevant information it needs, this place still needs to decide exactly what it's doing. Not a lot of people from what i can see though :(

If we are going to do this properly, we need to know exactly what layout is going to maximize our potential. Are we going with a wiki style of doing things, are we going to be a guide centric site. Are we going for simple or complicated. Do we want this place to be about Salmoneus or the runescape community that followed behind him?

My point being, we need to know exactly what's got to be done, before we just throw out some changes and go "wow, awesome". Then months down the line want to change up again.

In my opinion, we need to maximize oppurtunity, get people in. So we need to look at what brings people to other sites and how we can be different and better. Not being rude to Salmoneus (love ya buddy), but Sal isn't as relevant now in Runescape as he was. As a community we are running on a name and ranking. I think we need to move away from that, push forward and be something else!

Think everyone needs to stop palming off blame in here too, just gotta get on with it :D.

Edited by Fatalysm

I would like to point out, yes it's lost personality, but it hasn't really gained the relevant information it needs, this place still needs to decide exactly what it's doing. Not a lot of people from what i can see though :(

I realize you haven't been here much recently, but if you're talking about relevant information as in updated and new content you're wrong. In the past 10 months we have completely overhauled the quest section, making it one of the most up to date for that, and have updated numerous other guides. We're in the process of also overhauling the skill training guides (I'm waiting for the Elven City to come out). So is the journey over? No, but tons of progress has been made.

"But we still don't have a Dungeoneering guide, come on!

We aren't going to moving towards a wiki site, we already decided that awhile ago. I'd also like to point out that people are still using this site; the reason forum activity is lacking/not getting as many new members as before is because forums are something of a dying art (sadly :().

As a community we are running off the name, as well as hundreds of guides, an item database with thousands of items, and for getting recent game content onto the site in a timely manner.

Fatalysm, I saw your site upgrade ideas you posted maybe a year ago and thought they looked great. As for what direction we should move in, I believe we should focus on personality rather than raw information. Then that brings up the question of how we do that.

Anyway, this topic was mainly a few minor suggestions, not considering a total rehaul in the system.