Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sobend

Suggestions

So my question to Salmoneus is: how feasible would it be to make the site more 2006-esque but still modern? How much help could content updaters (like Micael and myself) provide?

Design wise? I don't think it'd be too difficult at all, especially because all of our content is CMS-based now. We have a handful of templates which control the page display, and would just need to update them with the new layout markup. Then there's the CSS, and probably some Javascript changes too.

The real question is: how far do we want to go? :P

So my question to Salmoneus is: how feasible would it be to make the site more 2006-esque but still modern? How much help could content updaters (like Micael and myself) provide?

Design wise? I don't think it'd be too difficult at all, especially because all of our content is CMS-based now. We have a handful of templates which control the page display, and would just need to update them with the new layout markup. Then there's the CSS, and probably some Javascript changes too.

The real question is: how far do we want to go? :P

Good to see that it won't be hard. Here's what I would suggest at first:

New banner/logo, akin to the old banner/logo

Same old color scheme

More personalization, such as more awareness to the Sal page. I realize though that Sal has not been active in Runescape since 2005. What I've been thinking is having the Sal page and then maybe another page for content team members or something. I have some ideas with this; however I am admittedly incredibly biased towards favoring this as I am a content team member myself. Needs some support besides myself.

More sections (monster hunting /bossing!!!)

We can keep the twitter feed and other things as well of course.

Here is the old site: http://web.archive.o....salmoneus.net/

And I moved this to the correct forum.

Basically going more towards that. :P I'm not a graphics expert at all, I can't get too specific.

Are we thinking an "Old Sals clone," or "Old-Sals-with-a-modern-twist"? :o

My graphics skills are severely lacking, so we would need definitely need help with that part. :P

And I'd love to get a page on the site for our site editors! Something like the staff topic here would be neat.

I was thinking a modern twist; the old logo/banner would make the site seem as outdated as everyone thinks it is.

I don't mind having a few classic/rs2 pictures in the banner to show the site's history, but add in a few modern pictures as well. I'll show you what I mean hopefully tomorrow - I can get in game and make a few modern versions of what Salmoneus would look like - I just need to buy a dragon battleaxe and change my hairstyle. Or Sal could get them, but it really is not a big deal for me.

9uzjffR.png

This is almost a perfect reconstruction of you from the logo. The only change is the Sal's Realm cape instead of a purple cape. So you would use updated ideas of old concepts, such as the Salmoneus style seen above. We may need to make a few changes because graphics have changed so much.

Edited by Sobend

What if the banner had a gradient sort of time line style to it? Perhaps starting in the far left, an image of RSC, a character wielding some items in an RSC server, then blended right to a screenshot from OSRS, that sort of mid 2000's look/feel of the game, then blend to another picture of RS3 with the updated graphics and another character perhaps in front of a major boss (vorago or araxxor come to mind). If someone would like to provide me with OSRS and RSC screenshots (high resolution, max graphics settings.) then I would be willing to attempt what i am trying to explain. :)

Also, CSS is my baby, i started programming using CSS on myspace and that was what got the ball rolling for me to learn web based programming. I'd argue to say i know more about CSS than any other web language or application (i know, so basic it hurts).

Continued on the "style", i agree with sobend in saying "Modern twist". It seems we need to be taken a bit more seriously by 'scapers who think we are stuck in ~2008. I get answers like "I thought they were an OSRS only site" or "Woah those guys are still around? I loved them back in the day!" So to say, the nostalgia both helps and hurts us.

Love this topic all together honestly, lots of good ideas and brainstorming. :thumbs:

What if the banner had a gradient sort of time line style to it? Perhaps starting in the far left, an image of RSC, a character wielding some items in an RSC server, then blended right to a screenshot from OSRS, that sort of mid 2000's look/feel of the game, then blend to another picture of RS3 with the updated graphics and another character perhaps in front of a major boss (vorago or araxxor come to mind). If someone would like to provide me with OSRS and RSC screenshots (high resolution, max graphics settings.) then I would be willing to attempt what i am trying to explain. :)

Mostly gree with this, though I don't know about a major boss being in the banner; sort of ruins the homey feel of it. The old banner had no combat at all. I don't know we can talk about it some more, maybe hold a competition.

Mostly gree with this, though I don't know about a major boss being in the banner; sort of ruins the homey feel of it. The old banner had no combat at all. I don't know we can talk about it some more, maybe hold a competition.

The boss would be just to keep it relevant, it shows that 'yes we still update and no we are not stuck in 2007'. Could be something other than a boss, just something that would tip people off like "Oh, they have (insert item/monster/whatever here) in their banner! They must have information or be updated up to (said item/monster/whatever)" :)

Edited by Iamyouronly

The boss would be just to keep it relevant, it shows that 'yes we still update and no we are not stuck in 2007'. Could be something other than a boss, just something that would tip people off like "Oh, they have (insert item/monster/whatever here) in their banner! They must have information or be updated up to (said item/monster/whatever)" :)

Thing is: we don't have a guide on Araxxor or Vorago :(. (cmon leaf finish araxxor guide!!!!) I see what you mean; maybe there is an alternative.

Yeah, we can think about it some more.

We should just add a picture of my RuneScape character to the banner. Guaranteed success attracting female RuneScape player's attention, we'll get heaps of new members.

I kinda did this in the last contest minus RSC

BMLQx2E.png

Y'know, It'd be interesting having a site poll about what folks think about a potential redesign. At the very least, it'd be a fresh topic!

Y'know, It'd be interesting having a site poll about what folks think about a potential redesign. At the very least, it'd be a fresh topic!

Hi, this si completely unrelated to this topic but if you read this please check your pms lol. :P

stop hijacking my thread k thx :grindteeth:

The next announcement will include a poll asking if we should update the site and how. I think we should do it anyway, but w/e.

Edited by Sobend

stop hijacking my thread k thx :grindteeth:

The next announcement will include a poll asking if we should update the site and how. I think we should do it anyway, but w/e.

I agree, I think this is something that should just be "done" and not talked about much by the general populous. Since it's really only an aesthetic change.

inb4 silent majority :(

I've set up a poll on the site, go vote.

So I set up an option that says go to a new design, meaning not the one we have now or the one from 2004-2011. This is actually slightly beating the 2004-2011 design, but it's not like this is a power to the player poll where the top choice has to go on.

Either way, it's clear that people want to change the design. The poll still has ways to go, and only 40 something people have voted so it's a small pool. I sent the poll to the Jagex community chronicle people and I'm hoping they mention in at least in a tweet.

I wonder if the poll is in a bad place and folks don't actually see it. It used to be smack in the middle of the homepage and now it's off to the right side. :/

But yeah, seems like folks definitely want our site redesigned, and old-school Sals is the way to go!

I hesitate to suggest this, since it might sound kind of ridiculous, but what about ingame rewards for contributing guides to the site? Like, one guide is worth a couple floors of 4-man clan dungeoneering, or (especially for the more intense guides) a bond? I'd be willing to contribute a couple dozen mil to the coffers if it meant this site were lively again.