Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sobend

Suggestions

The last time we had prizes for a guide drive it didn't work too well. The people who submitted the most were the people who usually ended up submitting things anyway. And it wasn't chump change; first place would have gotten 15m (second 10m and third 5m). There are better ways to make money than submitting things to the site and that's what most people care about in the end.

I have to be honest, I don't think many people use this site for the guides anymore. RSWiki has pretty much dominated that (seeing as it's usually the first result for everything) and what isn't picked up in the Wiki is taken by RuneHQ (from what I've seen).

What I think we need is to focus on is the sense of community here. I remember years back these forums were flourishing. Now when I log in I only see a few posts per sub-forum each day. I agree that social media will help bring people back. Also, advertising the clan or Sal's friends chat in various places would draw people in.

If we advertise in-game, then people will be more likely to come back to the forums for more. At least, in a perfect world anyway.

I would not like to see the old style website again, although Im not a great fan of the newest design either, but Im more used to functionality over design from my work. Id like to see some event integration onto the main site, like even just picking up the feed from the events area and letting people set reminders on the main site that would transfer to here. Some little stupid things that shouldn't take much development.

Also maybe a little guide for starting an ironman, we do have an abundance of them (ignore how nooby my ironman is)

Edited by Azarath

I have to be honest, I don't think many people use this site for the guides anymore. RSWiki has pretty much dominated that (seeing as it's usually the first result for everything) and what isn't picked up in the Wiki is taken by RuneHQ (from what I've seen).

What I think we need is to focus on is the sense of community here. I remember years back these forums were flourishing. Now when I log in I only see a few posts per sub-forum each day. I agree that social media will help bring people back. Also, advertising the clan or Sal's friends chat in various places would draw people in.

If we advertise in-game, then people will be more likely to come back to the forums for more. At least, in a perfect world anyway.

I agree and disagree. Agree with community things, but I really hate the "one fansite to rule them all" thing. There are still issues with the wiki anyway, such as the fact that it can be slow and there are ads everywhere. I agree that generally speaking the wiki will always have more information because it's a wiki, but that doesn't mean we should suck when it comes to information. The wiki is good for random information and databases, but when it comes to guides I think people would rather use fansites.

Also maybe a little guide for starting an ironman, we do have an abundance of them (ignore how nooby my ironman is)

I like this idea also, but there's also a lot of guides I would like to have that we don't have. Guides don't write themselves, and one of the issues we're having now is that for the most part the only people writing guides and updates are the people who should be working on putting written content up on the site. We're seeing a few new people write things though, which is good.

Honestly I think one of the major problems with the community for the past 5 or so years has been the split between the runescape community and the forum community. Most of the runescape community does not visit the forums on a regular basis, and hence the people who can write guides and even contribute some activity aren't seeing the opportunity. This had a chain reaction effect as much of the forum community was no longer interested in the game, which lowered the chances of new forum members sticking around as most of them are interested in talking about Runescape and not other things. Because fewer and fewer forum members were actually playing Runescape, less guides were getting written/updated and the site became outdated. Now Sal's Realm is often synonymous with extremely outdated guides (there are other factors that caused this as well, which I don't want to get into here because the post is too discursive already). Although we are reversing this outdatedness with our site, we are not reversing the general public's idea of this. When all skill guides are updated I'm hoping we can get a shoutout on twitter or the community chronicle, but I'm still not sure if that's going to help all that much. Basically, I'm hoping that this new site upgrade will make people take a glance at this site again, which will let them know of how much work has been done to update this. That is one of my two reasons for this idea for a site upgrade, the other being playing off nostalgia.

Edited by Sobend

Is there any way we could create our own open CMS like wiki has, but perhaps have 'approvals' for the changes that are made. Can't be that big of a secret what wiki has in place for that type of CMS. I've often thought of ways even wiki could do wiki better, if we could create a similar system there would be opportunity to make it better than what wiki has currently.

As much as people don't like the 'one site to rule' thing, it's happening/has happened already to many many topics. Reddit is probably the greatest example of this. These types of places are popular and easily managed due to self moderation, while reddit doesn't offer static information and is more about the 'here and now' it still is a major source of information that is ever changing.

The fact is that the forums are nowhere near as active as in the past (not even as active as in the recent past like two years ago for example), but I do actually believe we're doing better in terms of getting clan members to post here. In the past the majority of the forums users were mainly just forum users (people who had quit RuneScape or were so inactive they actually used the forums more than they played) or were in no way affiliated to the Sal's in-game community. It seems to me the forums took a hit in forum-based member activity while the clan/in-game community forum activity increased. You see a lot of people who one, two or three years ago were part of the clan and lurked only the forums rarely posting. The activity level still leaves a lot to be desired, but that's mostly because the overall activity level of the forums decreased a lot and there's not much for the in-game community members to do here. It's actually gotten to a point the majority of the posts are from members who still play RuneScape and use the clan unlike two years ago for example.

I think it's pointless to create an open CMS. The whole point of it would be to facilitate the job of the contente team, and it would make sense if we had a massive list of guides in need of getting added and a considerable number of members writing guides on a regular basis. The way things are now we get maybe a new guide submitted every three weeks and while I don't know Army of One's and Kamil's current availability to add guides to the site there's at least two of us (that sexy dude Micael Fatia and Sobend) who have time to do it.

Submitting new guides and guide corrections is just as easy as updating the site via CMS, probably even easier since it does not require any actual coding and you don't even need to do a proper job with bb forum code, and if people can't be bothered to do it the easy way I highly doubt adapting to a Wiki based system would help in any way.