Sal's RuneScape Forum

Scottish Independence

Shooter585

I personally didn't think that it would ever happen, but it looks like it might. Polls seem to be split around 50/50 with the referendum just nine? days away. If it were to happen, there would be major changes for Scotland, the UK, the EU, NATO, and to a lesser extent the rest of the world. As an American I selfishly don't want to see it happen, a strong UK is in my country's self interest. Scottish secession could also prompt Catalonian secession, northern Italian secession, Welsh secession, maybe even Quebec secession? Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself, but this is one of the most interesting things going on right now.

I don't know if there are any Scots around here, but there are people from the UK, I'm especially interested in hearing what you think of all this.

A strong, UNITED Kingdom is in the best interest of the world. It's a democratic and Western country with significant influence on the world stage. It is also the most successful experiment in multiculturalism in history. For three hundred years, the Union has made the British people wealthier, improved their culture and made them a more tolerant people. For this and many other reasons, there are millions around the world (including yours truly) who look at Britain and marvel at its richness. It would be a real shame to see that go.

I really hope the Scots vote No and I'm confident that they will.

Edited by Phoenix Rider

I'm not sure how the Scots are going to raise the 100 or so billion pounds necessary to be allowed to use the Euro, and the UK has been clear about not wanting to share the pound. Even if this happens I doubt anything's going to get better for the Scots. They'll just have their own government to contend with rather than that of the UK.

Whatever, all I care about is the price of scotch not going up -.-

Scotland gains nothing by becoming independent without a currency, and they stand to lose a lot, including benefit structures and other legal structures.

In addition, I would rate the probability of being grandfathered into the EU as being "very low." Catalonia's had a claim to independence predating the state that currently administrates it and the EU isn't going to give them a freebie, so what makes Scotland so damn special?

Scottish independence may be a possibility in the future, when Scotland is even capable of standing on its own two feet, but that time isn't now.

But then, I don't anticipate any of these questions being answered soon as I think the closeness of this referendum is extremely trumped up. I fully expect independence to fail by a margin of around 53-47 or something as high as 55-45.

I don't think that 'yes' will win. For one thing, the announcement of a massive cut to the NHS's budget isn't going to help things. Plus, they're going to be without a currency that they have control over (yes, they can use the pound but they can't do anymore than that), Spain will stop them from joining the EU as much as possible and they'll be without trade agreements. An independent Scotland is a nice ideal, but it's only an ideal. I think the Scots will end up independent with nothing to show for it if they do vote yes.

To show my support for the Union, I give you PHOENIX RIDER Presents: THE DOGS OF BRITAIN!

First up, The Welsh Corgi (So adorable; So Welsh) ^_^

Bxz-eTCIEAEgxpn.jpg

The English Cavalier King Charles Spaniel ("It's your patriotic duty to cuddle me")

Bxz_tM1IUAAOY0K.jpg

The Scottie (always trying to run away)

DOG_02_KH0005_01_P.JPG

The Irish Red Settler (Needs no further explanation.)

article-0-1933356C00000578-858_634x384.jpg

The British Bulldog. (Calm, composed, funny looking)

Bx0BjvbCMAAr3gE.jpg

You guys are all encouraged to post your own pics.

Edited by Phoenix Rider

Personally, I think the irish setter is the more adorable, but I'm open to other ideas.

You are so wrong, the Corgi is by far the most adorable. It is a fact. :mad:

I think you are so wrong and there is almost no basis to what you are saying here. You must be the gnostic christian bishop of cute dog breeds. It's pretty embarrassing actually.

My uncle breeds Irish setters.

What were the results of the referendum? I cannot find it online here. They should pretty much know by now unless we have some hanging chads situation or something like that. It's 10:30 at night there.

Omg my uncle breeds them too, what a coincidence!

I'm not expecting to hear about the results until tomorrow, although I have no idea when they will be announced to be honest.

Edited by Sobend

I'm not expecting to hear about the results until tomorrow, although I have no idea when they will be announced to be honest.

None of the broadcasters paid for an exit poll (cheap love-childs) so expect the first results to start trickling in at about 2AM GMT. Glasgow and Edinburgh (major population centres) declares at about 5AM so watch out for those results . By 6AM, when Aberdeen declares, we'll probably have a good idea on which side won.

Finally, The Scottie is the cutest. Let's be nice to him or he might run away for good! :o

Personally, I think the irish setter is the more adorable, but I'm open to other ideas.

You are so wrong, the Corgi is by far the most adorable. It is a fact. :mad:

I think you are so wrong and there is almost no basis to what you are saying here. You must be the gnostic christian bishop of cute dog breeds. It's pretty embarrassing actually.

You clearly haven't done any research on the matter and are just spewing nonsense and propaganda you were taught to believe. -.-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSLIKbpM64A

Watch the video, free yourself from ignorance and let the light of knowledge illuminate you.

My uncle breeds Irish setters.

Omg my uncle breeds them too, what a coincidence!

Well, duh.

Anyway, my opinion on this is not very strong or informed. It seems like the practical side of things would go against it, when has patriotic spirit ever failed us? Besides, did William Wallace want Scottish Independence to finally come as a result of some middle-aged guys in suits doing some boring vote? No, even if England consents to their separation, they have to fight for their freedom! -.-

As a non-British person I believe that I don't really have the right to an opinion on the matter, honestly.

Why not?

It's between the Scots and the Brits. It's not my job to be involved or to think my opinion matters, as someone from the opposite side of the world.

In fact, rather than asking me why not, I'd like to ask you why you might think I have a right to an opinion on the matter?

As a non-British person I believe that I don't really have the right to an opinion on the matter, honestly.

Why not?

It's between the Scots and the Brits. It's not my job to be involved or to think my opinion matters, as someone from the opposite side of the world.

In fact, rather than asking me why not, I'd like to ask you why you might think I have a right to an opinion on the matter?

Just because you're not directly involved doesn't mean you shouldn't try and learn about it, and by learning about it you will likely form an opinion. Whether or not your opinion has an influence is irrelevant.

Just because I'm not involved in, say, American politics, doesn't mean I don't have an opinion on the net neutrality issue there.

I mean, do you have absolutely no opinions about anything that you're not involved in? Rather than have no opinion, have an informed one - and just because you have one, doesn't mean you have go shout about it. I'm fairly sure none of the people who have contributed to this thread are actually Scottish or even British, but we can still have an interesting discussion on an event that is pretty significant, even on a global scale.

Why not?

Just because you're not directly involved doesn't mean you shouldn't try and learn about it, and by learning about it you will likely form an opinion. Whether or not your opinion has an influence is irrelevant.

Just because I'm not involved in, say, American politics, doesn't mean I don't have an opinion on the net neutrality issue there.

I mean, do you have absolutely no opinions about anything that you're not involved in? Rather than have no opinion, have an informed one - and just because you have one, doesn't mean you have go shout about it. I'm fairly sure none of the people who have contributed to this thread are actually Scottish or even British, but we can still have an interesting discussion on an event that is pretty significant, even on a global scale.

I don't know, I just felt different about this matter. I had learnt about it - if I were Scottish I would probably have voted yes to independence. I don't know how to word or describe it, but I feel like independence is a personal issue between two parties and I don't have the right to intervene regardless of the economic and social issues that arise out of it.

If it were an election or politics related, yes I would be more involved and say what I feel should happen. But independence is more than just that - it really comes down to the feelings of the Scottish people.

Edited by Kemosabe