Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Shooter585

Ebola Outbreak in West Africa

What do you guys think of this? In my opinion this is the #1 problem right now, trumping ISIS and the Ukraine/Russia situation. This really needs to get more attention and support. Hospital conditions are so poor in the region that there is no reason to believe this won't continue to spread. Right now about 3,000 people have died and 7,000 have been infected. One case has been reported in the United States, though health officials don't anticipate an outbreak because healthcare conditions are much better here. I'm not personally fearing for my life, but the world should really be throwing more of its weight towards this issue.

Sorry guys... I've been playing too much Plague Inc. on my iPhone, that I accidentally started this outbreak in Africa :/

Serious note: If I had money to invest in stocks, I would invest in the drug companies. Apparently they're making a huge amount of money off of the Ebola cure.

Something is seriously wrong here, and it's not just the people dying. There is something epidemiological wrong here, something they're not telling us. This many people, in this many countries should not be dying from Ebola at the same time. Either the virus has changed its transmission patterns and/or genome significantly to make it deadlier and more contagious, or someone (probably several or many someones) is really, really not doing their job right. Those fancy white doctors who died in Atlanta? They know better. They spent decades studying infectious diseases, a few of them studying Ebola viruses in particular. They shouldn't be getting infected at all, much less dying.

Part of the problem from a international political standpoint is that the antiviral drugs that exist to treat Ebola are expensive, and usually only given to white people who make it back to the US or Europe.

If you wear the moon suits you see them wearing on TV and otherwise keep yourself away from the bodily fluids of the infected, you should not be getting sick. Don't play with dirty needles or other surfaces/equipment contaminated by bodily fluids of the infected. Unfortunately, Ebola patients tend to vomit blood and have diarrhea and bleed from other unpleasant places, so there's lots of opportunities to come into contact with bad bodily fluid, but that's why you wear the moon suit and other protective gear. It is not something you from eating bad food (unless it has patient blood/spit/etc. on it, or possibly the undercooked meat of a mammal vector, like a bat or monkey); it's not airborne (i. e., not from coughing or sneezing); not waterborne, and can't be transmitted by mosquitos or other non-mammals. Not something you often catch by accident.

Ebola is usually pretty rare, and outbreaks spread in isolated areas easy to contain, so it's hard to build the medical infrastructure for diagnosis and treatment, especially since the equipment to precisely and safely culture or diagnose the virus is also very expensive. There's also many other diseases that cause explosive diarrhea in the field and other chronic public health issues that can get in the way of Ebola treatment during an epidemic. For example, patients have to be able to replace all of the fluid they lose in vomit, blood and diarrhea, but if there isn't a reliable bulk source of clean water (and the patient is having difficulty ingesting/retaining liquid), that sort of treatment is next to impossible.

Culturally, all of the protective gear required by WHO and other international agencies can also be a problem. The moon suits tend to obscure the face of the medical provider, make the providers look like freaks, and make it very, very clear to the patient that the patient is dirty, disgusting and not someone the provider really wants to touch or interact with. How would you feel if your doctor dressed that way every time they visited your room in the hospital?

Edited by Traviesa

I don't think it's going to be a major issue in the western world because it does not spread too easily, but I agree in Africa it's going to be an issue due to sanitation and such.

This has reached a point where aid agencies any volunteers aren't going to be enough to contain the epidemic. We need a quasi-military like response involving Western governments and the UN with hundreds of treatment and laboratory facilities set up all across the country. The rate of infection isn't decreasing and without drastic action, we could have over 20k infected in the next few months.

Professor Peter Piot (the man who discovered the virus) was on the BBC awhile ago and called for an international effort involving governments with far more camps and facilities. He blamed the slow international response and ineptitude of the local governments for the worsening situation.

Something is seriously wrong here, and it's not just the people dying. There is something epidemiological wrong here, something they're not telling us. This many people, in this many countries should not be dying from Ebola at the same time. Either the virus has changed its transmission patterns and/or genome significantly to make it deadlier and more contagious, or someone (probably several or many someones) is really, really not doing their job right. Those fancy white doctors who died in Atlanta? They know better. They spent decades studying infectious diseases, a few of them studying Ebola viruses in particular. They shouldn't be getting infected at all, much less dying.

If the disease mutated to become airborne, we should be seeing a much higher rate of transmission. There's no need to resort to conspiracies. What made this epidemic different from others was it's presence in major population centres and transport networks unlike the previous outbreaks which occurred in far flung rural communities. It's easier to contain an outbreak in an isolated town of thousands rather than cities with millions of people. You could argue that the international response was too slow but there's no reason to suspect malice in anyway.

The traditional practices of body washing and faith healing aren't helping either. Imagine how many people would touch the dead body and come in contact with bodily fluids during those ritual cleaning.

Culturally, all of the protective gear required by WHO and other international agencies can also be a problem.

Sadly, we don't have an alternative. If some health workers are getting ill whilst wearing the suits, imagine how many more would get the disease if they do away with them.

Edited by Phoenix Rider

Well, the US has sent some of its medic soldiers over, some of our best military doctors from Walter Reed, etc. Hopefully they can at least help stem the tide in some of the affected areas. Not sure any of our NATO allies have enough of that kind of expertise within their own militaries, honestly.

A nurse in Spain has been infected with Ebola. This is the first time someone has caught it out of Africa, thought that was interesting (and bad, of course). I'm not raising alarm bells, but Spain is a Western country.

I'm not raising alarm bells, but Spain is a Western country.

That should calm folks down rather than frighten them. Being in the developed world means that there's a modern health infrastructure in place that's capable of treating patients and preventing an outbreak.

That should calm folks down rather than frighten them. Being in the developed world means that there's a modern health infrastructure in place that's capable of treating patients and preventing an outbreak.

indeed

the chance of an outbreak in the western world is next to zero

ebola is extremely deadly but not that very infectious, simple hygiene and quarantine is enough to stop any outbreak from spreading far

Well getting sick and getting the best possible medical attention is still worse than not being sick at all.

Well getting sick and getting the best possible medical attention is still worse than not being sick at all.

But the point is that there's no reason to be afraid of a massive Ebola outbreak. Of course it sucks to get Ebola, but it's different to get it here rather than somewhere in Africa.

I find it odd that the people who survive Ebola don't have any anti-ebola antibodies (or so I've heard).

http://www.bbc.com/n...onment-20341423

2012 was the end of the world originally, but we managed to postpone it! See u in heaven hopefully!!

Actually the Mayans were correct; the world did end in the end of 2012. We just misinterpreted what world they were talking about.

Screw the EOC.

Joke's on all of you! I was raptured in 2011. Now I get to watch as the mortal world disintegrates.

Is it just me or has panic talk of ebola died down in the last couple weeks?

Media moves on to different news story now that this one has fizzed out.

Well, election day has passed...