Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sobend

Famous Youtuber to Jmod?

I was wondering what your opinions of Jagex's trend to hire famous youtubers/streamers for certain positions, particularly in Old School. A few months ago (?) they hired ML Gudi who is now known as Mod Ronan to be some community support guy. Now, Jagex just announced that they hired Chris Archie to do some video work. Before this they hired Regicidal and Silentcore but that wasn't Old School.

What do you think of this? I can't say I like it too much. It feels too weird, and a bit like favoritism.

Edited by Sobend

Mod Ronan is actually in charge of the Old School PvP/Clanning updates too. The Clan Community isn't very happy with him becauser of the recent F2P items poll.

He isn't doing a fantastic job from what I've read so I'm not sure doing stuff like this is a good idea, but then again other mods who are supposed to be more experienced and qualified are doing a horrible job too *cough* Mod Matthe *cough* so maybe it has nothing to do with the place where they get recruited from.

Edited by Micael Fatia

Dont forget James and Simon of Runeshark are jmods too.

The reason they hired the youtubers to do video work is because that is what they do best, Videos, i dont find this to be favouritism myself, more a smart moke on jagex's side.

Mod Ronan was a pretty crappy pick for Jmod. He used to lure, complains about getting pked at lava drags, and looks like he's 14. I didn't know about this Chris Archie thing but I've never viewed one of his videos. I don't really like it, there should be a separation of community and Jagex. I think giving away free membership to these people is alright because they are basically free advertisers, but beyond that it's too much. It would be like a certain political party subsidizing a newspaper: you'd be less likely to trust the newspaper as an unbiased source. Honestly if one of favorite youtubers got hired by Jagex I would stop watching them (the only one I have ever kept up with is Spark Mac).

People have been complaining about streamers getting favoritism for awhile now, I guess this is part of the disapproval.

Sounds like they are just being cheap tbh, it's easy to pick and choose off of youtube and stream sites since there is literally hundreds of thousands to choose from and all trying to get the same recognition, as opposed to them hiring/paying somebody to do what they can 'promote someone to jmod to do' i think on paper and for the business it is good but it does seem like they can just make their 'friends' mods. Hard to make it not look like that any way you look at it though.

jagex has proven time and time again whoever is actually making the decisions in the company is so clueless

Is the infinity guy still working for them?

Mod Ronan was a pretty crappy pick for Jmod. He used to lure, complains about getting pked at lava drags, and looks like he's 14. I didn't know about this Chris Archie thing but I've never viewed one of his videos. I don't really like it, there should be a separation of community and Jagex. I think giving away free membership to these people is alright because they are basically free advertisers, but beyond that it's too much. It would be like a certain political party subsidizing a newspaper: you'd be less likely to trust the newspaper as an unbiased source. Honestly if one of favorite youtubers got hired by Jagex I would stop watching them (the only one I have ever kept up with is Spark Mac).

People have been complaining about streamers getting favoritism for awhile now, I guess this is part of the disapproval.

I didn't have a problem with this Mlgudi guy as a youtuber (I didn't know what a korasi spec was until I watched one of his videos) but I agree it was a weird decision to hire a top lurer as a jmod. Luring is basically the same thing as scamming, even though you do it indirectly. It's also against the rules? I really have only watched one Chris Archie video before this so I don't have a problem with him, but I watched him play through Legacy mode and he seemed extremely disinterested in the game.

I don't watch many youtubers either

-Seen a few of sparc mac's videos. Don't have a problem with him

-Seen a few of the A friend videos. I wouldn't have if it wasn't for his Runescape Classic videos.

Another thing I dislike this is that it stops criticism of Jagex from almost all youtubers. I'm sure that even the youtubers who aren't Jmods have in the back of their mind that they are a potential Jmod candidate, and their likeliness of getting Jmod would increase if they don't criticize Jagex.

jagex has proven time and time again whoever is actually making the decisions in the company is so clueless

Is the infinity guy still working for them?

Yes but they don't show him off. I think he stays off reddit and I doubt he was at Runefest.

Dont forget James and Simon of Runeshark are jmods too.

The reason they hired the youtubers to do video work is because that is what they do best, Videos, i dont find this to be favouritism myself, more a smart moke on jagex's side.

So it's better to hire amateur youtubers than professional video people? I don't really think it's a horrible idea, but I don't think it's the smartest move you can make. It seems like these days they only hire streamers and youtubers.

Edited by Sobend

Their biggest coup in terms of high-profile players is definitely Mod Jacmob. They defeated botting with his help.

Don't see anything wrong intergrating some players into their workforce. Remember a significant proportion of their team will not have the same enthusiasm for this game as these players may have.

Their biggest coup in terms of high-profile players is definitely Mod Jacmob. They defeated botting with his help.

Don't see anything wrong intergrating some players into their workforce. Remember a significant proportion of their team will not have the same enthusiasm for this game as these players may have.

They havent defeated botting, there is still bots to this date, there is less of them yes but the aviansy bots are still out in force.

They havent defeated botting, there is still bots to this date, there is less of them yes but the aviansy bots are still out in force.

Ah my bad.

Actually that's not really true. There are bots sure, but not nearly as much as the pre-Jacmob. You'll occasionally see bots are tucked into random parts of the world, like the wilderness and baby blue dragons, but bots no longer affect gameplay significantly. And I've never seen a bot at aviansies in my life.

Jacmob wasn't a youtuber/streamer though.

I've definitely seen at least two people botting aviansies (but I can't really say how bad it is in the big picture because I don't spend a lot of time inside Armadyl's Eyrie), and there's other activity I always see people botting when I'm walking around but I can't seem to remember what it is. I know for a fact there are still bots because of this (it's really frustrating me that I can't remember what this activity is), but nowhere near as much as in the past of course. Whether that is thanks to Mod Jacmob or simply because a considerable percentage of the RuneScape botting community just lost interest in Goldfarming (since you can basically buy gp from Jagex nowadays) and botting (RuneScape is so easy nowadays with all the activities that give loads of exp + daily challenges + bonus exp etc) I don't know. If it's thanks to Jacmob then I say he's doing a decent job, far better than his predecessors at least.

Edit: Oh I always see heaps of bots fighting to pick up Zam wines near the Bandos' death site. Well, the two times I've been there in the recent past at least.

Edited by Micael Fatia

Mod Ronan is actually in charge of the Old School PvP/Clanning updates too. The Clan Community isn't very happy with him becauser of the recent F2P items poll.

He isn't doing a fantastic job from what I've read so I'm not sure doing stuff like this is a good idea, but then again other mods who are supposed to be more experienced and qualified are doing a horrible job too *cough* Mod Matthe *cough* so maybe it has nothing to do with the place where they get recruited from.

So they finally pick up someone for the clan community and they mess it up?

other thing I dislike this is that it stops criticism of Jagex from almost all youtubers. I'm sure that even the youtubers who aren't Jmods have in the back of their mind that they are a potential Jmod candidate, and their likeliness of getting Jmod would increase if they don't criticize Jagex.

This isn't necessarily true. In the end the true determinator of whether or not you make it is who the people choose to watch and not always what company X supports. Although company X supporting you can make your marketing easier, if you don't act genuine and aren't producing content you want to produce it'll show and people won't enjoy your content as much (in general, the exception confirms the rule.)

So it's better to hire amateur youtubers than professional video people? I don't really think it's a horrible idea, but I don't think it's the smartest move you can make. It seems like these days they only hire streamers and youtubers.

Yes and no. Honestly a lot of youtubers and streamers get good actual experience in handling the audience they'll have to deal with in customer support roles. Even in video editing youtubers have come a long way from the windows movie maker days of old. Sure they might not be as experienced or good as seasoned veterans in that world, but generally the advantage they have then is they're more in touch with their audiance and they have more knowledge about their subject material.

Mod Ronan hasn't messed anything up yet. He proposed a few changes that would have hurt clanning in freeplay (like making snare freeplay) but those did not go to development due to the negative reaction from the clan community.

other thing I dislike this is that it stops criticism of Jagex from almost all youtubers. I'm sure that even the youtubers who aren't Jmods have in the back of their mind that they are a potential Jmod candidate, and their likeliness of getting Jmod would increase if they don't criticize Jagex.

This isn't necessarily true. In the end the true determinator of whether or not you make it is who the people choose to watch and not always what company X supports. Although company X supporting you can make your marketing easier, if you don't act genuine and aren't producing content you want to produce it'll show and people won't enjoy your content as much (in general, the exception confirms the rule.)

I wouldn't say it's that simple. First off, Jagex isn't supporting any streamers/youtubers that aren't Jmods; the fact that youtubers and streamers are beginning to see themselves as Jmod candidates is going to be affecting their decisions. And considering Mod Ronan was not a huge video maker (although he has ~20k subscribers) it's not as if the only video makers affected are the top ones.

The thing isn't going to be affecting video makers constantly, but when the time comes for a well known video maker to criticize Jagex I can't help but think that the possible Jmod aspirations are in the back of their heads.