Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Rene

A mild ... interest?

Question

Hello guys,

So not sure if there's still people hanging around who know me, but that's mostly irrelevant. So I used to be a long time player, but I retired indefinitely just shy of 3 years ago. I'm interested now in making a slight return, looking for a game to fool around in while I'm not too busy and to fill the gaps in time.

Problem is, a lot has changed. even compared to 3 years ago and while I'm sure it wouldn't all be too difficult. I still have no idea of where to start. One of the main problems is that my original character has been completely lost to me and I see no way to get him back as saddening as it is. I have another character (with nowhere near the achievements my old account had, but still better than starting off from scratch) that I could use to continue off with.

(there was a short intermediate period in which i played for a month or 2 on this other account because my old one was hacked, but I don't remember too much details from how the game was and when this was. I believe not too long after the squeel of fortune was released?)

Some basic questions:

- What's the grind like now?

- What has the effect of inflation been and how hard is the moneymaking process from scratch?

- Is there still a population for a lot of the activities?

- Where do you suggest I start if I were to start?

- I've heard about purchasing membership with ingame currency, what is this like? Is it easy to upkeep or not and what's the price like?

9 answers to this question

Lets see if I can provide some answers.

In the past few years xp rates of a lot of skill have been buffed, so there is much less grind.

- What has the effect of inflation been and how hard is the moneymaking process from scratch?

Moneymaking now is mostly limited to combat, bossing in particular. Skilling generally gives limited profit compared to what I mentioned previously.

If by activities you mean minigames, then no, most of them are dead.

If you were to become a member, I'd suggest slayer since It's a nice mix between gp and xp gains. I don't know if you should listen to me on this one tho, since it's my favorite skill :P

- I've heard about purchasing membership with ingame currency, what is this like? Is it easy to upkeep or not and what's the price like?

A bond at the moment is between 6-7m and lasts for 14 days. You buy them at ge and they're provided by people who buy them with irl cash. I'd say It's pretty easy to maintain, but that depends a lot on your stats.

Hope this helps, If you need more help just say so or pay a visit to our 'Sals Realm' clan chat, lots of helpfull people there :P

Edited by Jna

Hey buddy! How could I forget you haha?! Great to see you. :D

Still boring but at least combat has been made slightly more interesting thanks to EoC's abilities. Overall you probably have to grind considerably less now to achieve a 99, RuneScape has became a slightly different and easier game with training methods that give better exp, daily challenges, exp boosts and lots of activities that give bonus exp.

Pretty much all the items you remember from when you played are now much cheaper except of course rares; there are higher tier items now that replace the old super expensive items: Drygores, Ascension, Seismic and Nox.

Making money isn't too hard, once you get enough to buy decent bossing gear it becomes super easy to make money. Bosses like the QBD are not too hard to kill and are great money/hour, and you can always camp the classic money monsters like Frost Dragons for example.

For some yes, you have to be more specific though if you want me to give you a better answer.

Well if you're starting from 0 in terms of money first you should probably ask me for a money lend to buy some basic gear, and then you should start with Slayer to make bank. :P

Usually its stable around 5.8-6M per Bond (basically 6M per 14 days of membership), but Bonds have been going up the past couple days are are now worth 7Mish. The exact reason why this is happening escapes me at the moment but it has something to do with some update, if you ask in the chats I'm sure someone will give you a better answer. It's just temporary I believe so shouldn't be much of a problem.

Edited by Micael Fatia

Check out oldschool runescape if you haven't already!

Lets see if I can provide some answers.

In the past few years xp rates of a lot of skill have been buffed, so there is much less grind.

Moneymaking now is mostly limited to combat, bossing in particular. Skilling generally gives limited profit compared to what I mentioned previously.

If by activities you mean minigames, then no, most of them are dead.

If you were to become a member, I'd suggest slayer since It's a nice mix between gp and xp gains. I don't know if you should listen to me on this one tho, since it's my favorite skill :P

A bond at the moment is between 6-7m and lasts for 14 days. You buy them at ge and they're provided by people who buy them with irl cash. I'd say It's pretty easy to maintain, but that depends a lot on your stats.

Hope this helps, If you need more help just say so or pay a visit to our 'Sals Realm' clan chat, lots of helpfull people there :P

Thanks a lot for the answers so far :)

Hey buddy! How could I forget you haha?! Great to see you. :D

Same to you, was pleasantly surprised to see your name still pop up on here.

Still boring but at least combat has been made slightly more interesting thanks to EoC's abilities. Overall you probably have to grind considerably less now to achieve a 99, RuneScape has became a slightly different and easier game with training methods that give better exp, daily challenges, exp boosts and lots of activities that give bonus exp.

Pretty much all the items you remember from when you played are now much cheaper except of course rares; there are higher tier items now that replace the old super expensive items: Drygores, Ascension, Seismic and Nox.

Making money isn't too hard, once you get enough to buy decent bossing gear it becomes super easy to make money. Bosses like the QBD are not too hard to kill and are great money/hour, and you can always camp the classic money monsters like Frost Dragons for example.

Alright, this is somewhat ideal for what I intend to play the game for.

]- Is there still a population for a lot of the activities?[/b]

For some yes, you have to be more specific though if you want me to give you a better answer.

Was honestly just wondering, since I want to play in a more casual fashion and they used to always have some entertainement value back in the day.

]- Where do you suggest I start if I were to start?[/b]

Well if you're starting from 0 in terms of money first you should probably ask me for a money lend to buy some basic gear, and then you should start with Slayer to make bank. :P

So it's still the good ol slayer or bust time? :P

While I appreciate the thought of you willing to do as much I don't feel comfortable for that, as I intend to play in a very casual manner (far from how I used to play) also I no longer have control over my old account sadly and the account I still has left has no real relevant stats.

Besides that other account (which was also the one I played on a little bit) has some funds and it should be enough for what I would need at its levels.

]- I've heard about purchasing membership with ingame currency, what is this like? Is it easy to upkeep or not and what's the price like?[/b]

Usually its stable around 5.8-6M per Bond (basically 6M per 14 days of membership), but Bonds have been going up the past couple days are are now worth 7Mish. The exact reason why this is happening escapes me at the moment but it has something to do with some update, if you ask in the chats I'm sure someone will give you a better answer. It's just temporary I believe so shouldn't be much of a problem.

That seems decently reasonable once you get to a certain point in the game, although obviously not an option right now.

Check out oldschool runescape if you haven't already!

While at first I was entranced by the concept, the truth is I no longer have the free time or energy to put towards a game like that and as such I'd prefer a more casual experience.

I'm in the same situation, used to play 40+ hours a week, and quit cold turkey right before EoC launched. Thanks for these answers to questions I had as well. One more Q - what's the point of Divination? Do you actually make money or anything of profit from it?

I'm in the same situation, used to play 40+ hours a week, and quit cold turkey right before EoC launched. Thanks for these answers to questions I had as well. One more Q - what's the point of Divination? Do you actually make money or anything of profit from it?

A lot of people would argue that it has limited uses. I'm only level 50 something, so I might not be the most qualified to answer, but there are items made in divination that can heal you automatically, revive you, and bank items for you. There are also divine gathering locations that can be used to quickly gather resources (i.e. sharks) but you don't need any divination levels to use this.

what's the point of Divination?

http://runescape.salmoneus.net/skills/divination.html#rewards

To sum it up, Divine locations and Signs of the porter are the best rewards from Divination - and both of these rewards are untradeable, requiring you to unlock them yourself through levelling. Porters are very good for increasing the length of your stays at various skilling areas (and are basically a must-have for rocktails) and Divine locations are a nice amount of easy xp and gp (depending on the location) once a day.

What do you know- someone whose name resembles my very own!

First and foremost, welcome back :)

- What's the grind like now? It's definitely a lot easier training your skills. Bonus experience has become very, very common, and things like Loadouts, Presets, and the Action bar make skilling a lot easier. There's still a lot of grind, but I believe it's safe to say the xp/h for every skill has gone up since you were last playing.

The introduction of a more strict tier system has really changed prices. Back in the days, the "good" slayer gear would be Bandos, a whip and a dragon defender. Now, if you own any of those items, you're considered a noob. But this has a few advantages: a lot of items are dirt cheap right now. If you don't have chaotics (I have a feeling you wrote the Dungeoneering guide, but I'll still continue) then a staff of light, abyssal whip and hand cannon are all tier 70-75 weapons that are under 90k.

Making money from scratch? I'd say it's easier than it once was. You now have Lodestones, which basically teleport you to most major cities. That in itself makes the process a lot easier. Plus, with the introduction of Divination Daily Locations, it's easy to amass things like Adamant ore, Magic Logs, Grenwall Spikes, etc. If you're more of the combat person, Frost Dragons are still your place to go.

Quite a few have died out, unfortunately. Some activities (like Castle Wars and Barbarian Assault) are a requirement for the Completionists Cape, so you should be able to find people playing those games.

Herb runs go a long, long way.

Also, I understand the changes might be overwhelming at first, so I'd suggest trying to play in Legacy Mode first. It has a similar feel to the old, 2011-2012 version of the game.

You've heard correctly. The item you're looking for is called a "Bond." Destroying one gives you 14 days of membership, and as of today they cost 7,000,000 coins. So if you can make 500,000 coins a day, then this should be easy to sustain. To put that into perspective, 1 hour of Frost Dragons gives you around 3-4 million coins.

If you ever need help, feel free to send me a message in game, or drop by in our Clan Chat!

~Rene

Edited by Renegaderp

At first I thought Renegaderp changed his name haha :P.

All I have to say is welcome back and come join us for crazy shenanigans in the Sals Realm CC!