Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Rene

Optimal gear and general help question

Question

Hey guys, back again with more questions. So got myself a membership and I'm gonna start playing again. First question to start off with:

Rsi2ky7.png

ylyrwoR.png

tOVzQUW.png

These are my stats and completed quests, whats the most optimal gear I should look into getting for now and also coming levels? Is barrows armor still worth considering? I currently have roughly 4 mill to spend and some old gear banked to use as well.

Who's the best slayer master for me to use for now?

What's the optimal herb route for me? As you can see when I spend some time a while back levelling up this character I spent a lot of time doing that as well to train my herblore and farming (did fruit trees and regular trees as well, so if you have more info on that as well it'd be nice)

Any quests I should look into doing ASAP?

Edited by Rene

6 answers to this question

Barrows gear is good, but if you die, the items degrade to 0, and repairing becomes expensive.

I'd suggest looking into Dragonrider gear; it's hybrid (meaning you can use it while training all 3 combat styles) and the whole set offers a prayer bonus of +46 or so.

The Elder Kiln gives you the Tokkul-Zo ring, capable of teleporting you straight to a bank and a fairy ring. If you do Fairy Tale part 3 and The Elder Kiln, you can reach most places in RuneScape within seconds.

I'd say finish Shilo Village and go to Duradel. When you hit 75 slayer, head to Kuradal in the Ancient Cavern, and then proceed to Morvran for your final few levels.

As for herbs, I believe RuneScape Wiki has a spreadsheet with the best herb to currently do. Usually, snapdragons, toadflax and ranarr are safe choices.

I suggest you focus on Slayer for the time being; it's profitable (more so at higher levels, but still profitable) and you train most of your skills while slaying.

Also, I suggest getting 80 dungeoneering for a Chaotic. Until then, try to get 70 attack for a Whip.

Lastly, I recommend you do some quests now. A lot of your skills are low, and the xp rewards would help you skip some training.

And glad to hear you've got membership!

Your Namesake,

~Rene

Barrows is tier 70 tank armor, so it's somewhat on line with GWD armor. Barrows provides more defensive boosts whereas GWD gives offensive boosts. I would avoid using barrows for normal slayer as it's not going to be worth the repairs.

Dragon rider is pretty expensive, and you only have 4m to spend. I suppose you could stick with the tier 50 mage/melee armors for now (Rune, Batwing) because the tier 60 ones (dragon, infinity) are a bit of a jump in price. You should be fine with range as dragonhide is cheap (Royal is tier 65, costs maybe 30k for whole set?)

Slayer Masters are:

Duradel/Lapalok - Level 50 Slayer, Shilo Village

Kuradel - 75 Slayer, Ancient Cavern (the one with Mithril Dragons)

and the brand new:

Morvan - 85 Slayer, Prifddinas. This requires Plague's End, which in turn requires 11 level 75 skills and a buttload of quests. Will take some time

2h Weapons and dual wield is the way to go now. You should only use shields for hard slayer tasks or dragons (if you don't have any antifire pots).

So if I were you I would buy a dspear, as that's a cheap tier 60 melee weapon (you could also go for dual wield dlongs/dscims). For mage, do the Mage Arena (in the wilderness) and get a god staff. For range, get an elder shortbow.

That's all I can think of :P.

Barrows gear is good, but if you die, the items degrade to 0, and repairing becomes expensive.

I'd suggest looking into Dragonrider gear; it's hybrid (meaning you can use it while training all 3 combat styles) and the whole set offers a prayer bonus of +46 or so.

The Elder Kiln gives you the Tokkul-Zo ring, capable of teleporting you straight to a bank and a fairy ring. If you do Fairy Tale part 3 and The Elder Kiln, you can reach most places in RuneScape within seconds.

I'd say finish Shilo Village and go to Duradel. When you hit 75 slayer, head to Kuradal in the Ancient Cavern, and then proceed to Morvran for your final few levels.

As for herbs, I believe RuneScape Wiki has a spreadsheet with the best herb to currently do. Usually, snapdragons, toadflax and ranarr are safe choices.

I suggest you focus on Slayer for the time being; it's profitable (more so at higher levels, but still profitable) and you train most of your skills while slaying.

Also, I suggest getting 80 dungeoneering for a Chaotic. Until then, try to get 70 attack for a Whip.

Lastly, I recommend you do some quests now. A lot of your skills are low, and the xp rewards would help you skip some training.

And glad to hear you've got membership!

Your Namesake,

~Rene

Thanks a lot for the advice so far :)

Barrows is tier 70 tank armor, so it's somewhat on line with GWD armor. Barrows provides more defensive boosts whereas GWD gives offensive boosts. I would avoid using barrows for normal slayer as it's not going to be worth the repairs.

Dragon rider is pretty expensive, and you only have 4m to spend. I suppose you could stick with the tier 50 mage/melee armors for now (Rune, Batwing) because the tier 60 ones (dragon, infinity) are a bit of a jump in price. You should be fine with range as dragonhide is cheap (Royal is tier 65, costs maybe 30k for whole set?)

Slayer Masters are:

Duradel/Lapalok - Level 50 Slayer, Shilo Village

Kuradel - 75 Slayer, Ancient Cavern (the one with Mithril Dragons)

and the brand new:

Morvan - 85 Slayer, Prifddinas. This requires Plague's End, which in turn requires 11 level 75 skills and a buttload of quests. Will take some time

2h Weapons and dual wield is the way to go now. You should only use shields for hard slayer tasks or dragons (if you don't have any antifire pots).

So if I were you I would buy a dspear, as that's a cheap tier 60 melee weapon (you could also go for dual wield dlongs/dscims). For mage, do the Mage Arena (in the wilderness) and get a god staff. For range, get an elder shortbow.

That's all I can think of :P.

Alright, considering the price drops of bandos it seems to be within price range for me. Is it pretty stable at the current prices or how should I look at it?

As for range is shortbow the way to go? Are crossbows no longer good or desired?

Do you suggest getting different type of weapons? Right now I already have dual wield Dscims from last time I played on this account. Should I also get stab and crush weapons? if so what do you suggest. As for Whips are they still favourable for now? Also is god staff in general the best for now? Should I not bother with adjusting to the magical weakness of mosnters (earth, fire, water, air)?

Are prayer potions worth the effort/money nowadays considering the nerf to protect from prayers?

Edited by Rene

Alright, considering the price drops of bandos it seems to be within price range for me. Is it pretty stable at the current prices or how should I look at it? As for range is shortbow the way to go? Are crossbows no longer good or desired? Do you suggest getting different type of weapons? Right now I already have dual wield Dscims from last time I played on this account. Should I also get stab and crush weapons? if so what do you suggest. As for Whips are they still favourable for now? Also is god staff in general the best for now? Should I not bother with adjusting to the magical weakness of mosnters (earth, fire, water, air)? Are prayer potions worth the effort/money nowadays considering the nerf to protect from prayers?

First, some more general advice:

I've been told Dragonrider buys at half the ge price... but go for Bandos nonetheless. It's super cheap right now. (~6m for the Chestplate and Tassets)

Work towards a Slayer helm, and try to upgrade that to the t70 version using your slayer points.

Now, to answer your question about stab/crush/slash weapons, let me explain how monster weaknesses work with an example.

Steel dragons are weak to Water spells.

What this means is that you'll have the maximum accuracy with Magic (Water spells in particular.)

Similarly, if a monster is weak to Crush, like Jadinkos, this means melee is the most accurate attack style against them, and Crush is the best style. Comparatively, Range or Mage will have lower accuracy. (Although at high levels, your gear is usually good enough that there's no huge difference.)

To conclude, keep your Dragon scimitars, and don't buy other melee weapons. They'll suffice for everything that's weak to melee.

Likewise, stick to dual wielding range and magic. I'm guessing you don't have anti fire potions, so stay away from dual wielding. Also, dual wielding allows the use of a shield and the Rejuvination/Resonance abilities.

Likewise with elemental spells. Personally, I have a ton of elemental runes stashed up, so I always just use the monster's particular weakness. It's up to you though, you'll hit well enough with air spells.

If you're playing in EoC, then you shouldn't need to use protection prayers all that much. The healing abilities- Rejuvenate, Guthix's Blessing, Ice Asylum as well as Regenerate coupled with some cheap food is usually good enough. Don't bother wasting money on them unless you plan on using Soul Split, Turmoil, or the Zealot boosted normal prayers.

Wow I did not know that Dragonrider was crashing so hard.

Crossbows are still good, but I can't think of a decent ranged 60 crossbow except the dragon crossbow which is 12m.

I second the above post (I can't call him Rene... :P) in that it's not really worth buying more melee weapons than you already have. Exploiting a monster's specific weakness is a +15% accuracy boost, so it's helpful but not much against weak monsters.

The God Staff is going to be your cheapest option for 60 magic, and it's pretty good as well. There is some grifolic gear which is cheap to go with it. The Master Wand from the Mage Arena is pretty expensive. You might as well take advantage of the magic specific weaknesses as you only have to change spell and not weapon.

Prayer pots are good for monsters you have a tough time with. But as the above post states, you can use the healing abilities in place of them usually. Prayer pots are pretty cheap now (3k each?) too, but you shouldn't use prayer everywhere just to save money and it's not necessary.

Crossbows are still good, but I can't think of a decent ranged 60 crossbow except the dragon crossbow which is 12m.

Demon Slayer crossbows are 1.9m for the set (mainhand is 400k and offhand is 1.5m, I don't understand that) and act as t69 weapons against Demons. However that is only in terms of accuracy, seeing as the damage you deal is capped at t60 bolts due to the level your crossbow is, and i'm not even sure there are t60 bolts ingame.

Edited by Army of One