Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sobend

Retired players: Do you regret playing Runescape?

A common (or semi-common) sentiment among retired players is that they regret playing Runescape, or at least to the extent they did. All of that grinding, which wasn't fun, in the end lead to nothing.

So, what do you retired players think? Obviously asking current players here would be a bit against the point, but feel free to voice your opinion on this if you still play.

I'm pretty much inactive for typical game purposes, so I feel qualified to answer this.

I don't entirely regret it. If I had spent most of my time repetitively skill grinding, I probably would, but I instead spent what time I had doing quests and shizzle. Therefore, I enjoyed it until the day I semi-retired; unlike many MMOs, which are characterized by addictiveness rather than fun, I played RuneScape like a normal game.

why the fudge would I regret something I enjoyed doing?

the fact that I don't enjoy it anymore doesn't change the fact that I did

frankly I find it very childish to look down on your past behaviour over something as small as this...

yeah I'm with Egghe, are there really people that think this? I look back on '07-'09 or so with pretty fond memories

Not retired yet but I just regret not having done so much more stuff when RuneScape and Sal's had a lot more activity, like joining a top clan during the golden days of the clan world. Other than that not really I guess my only regret is not having been more efficient, something that would have saved me a lot of time and allowed me to have more fun. Not that I'm obsessed by efficiency or anything, everyone knows I'm the exact opposite, but it just feels I wasted so much time doing stupid pointless stuff I just don't care about nowadays like Woodcutting or Fishing when I should have been training combat or making money in a decent manner.

A lot of time spent on the game though wasn't exactly time enjoyed. Did you all enjoy grinding away at agility for instance? (agility seems to be a skill many dislike)

Edited by Sobend

Not really. Odds are I'd have pissed that time away doing something else that's equally stupid.

Stuff like agility was done when I was watching movies and stuff, I didn't explicitly enjoy agility itself, it was the conversation and other things I was doing at the same time. I would also like to play more, but I just don't have the time so I really enjoy the few hours a week I can manage when I play.

Edited by Azarath

I'm happy where I left off. I got my goal of a Santa hat and 99 HP Cape and then pretty much stopped playing after that. I feel as though if I spent many more days on the game I would feel like my life was wasted during those hours - and though I do have like 60 game days logged right now, I understand that most of that was off-screen grinding while watching Netflix to 99 fletching/def/magic/constitution as I afked all my 99s.

Overall, I don't regret my decision to ever play, it was a fun game that introduced me to online game and many other games over time.

No, I wouldn't say playing runescape overall has been a beneficial experience but for something I do completely for recreation it has had some unintended positive benefits. For example, I have met people from all over the worlds on all continents excluding Antarctica. This has helped widen my perspectives and has probably had some impact on my world views/politics. I think if I had played way too during certain periods of my life I would feel differently, but the only times I played way too much was when I had nothing better to do.

Obviously I am not a retired player though so maybe I will feel differently later.

I regret it as much as I regret #populus.

ZERO

No, I had a lot of good memories on Runescape. Even playing a skill agility wasn't that boring and I did it rather efficiently which was challenging. I always kept the game interesting. My regrets may be that I didn't always stick with certain things or branch out and become more active when I was having fun with the game. That was probably a mistake.

Hi guys,

I haven't played this game in 3 years, but I do not regret playing this game.

I believe that I was able to increase awareness in gambling in my early ages, and because of that, I believe that it has led me to be curious about probabilities. Also, without the exposure to gambling from staking, I would not have understood what a true feeling would feel like from losing and winning huge stakes.

P.S.

I'm really happy to see that this forum is still running!

Regret it sometimes. Don't regret it othertimes.

Most the time I played RuneScape to pass time in the first place. It was what I did when there was nothing else to do. For a large time of my life there was nothing TO do, so I played a lot of RuneScape.

I agree with Egghe. I found it really enjoyable, although it probably wouldn't have been if it wasn't for the people I met along the way. Hey, playing RuneScape was a lot more constructive then looking at cat pictures or watching Youtube videos all day, which would have probably been the alternative. :P

I've met a lot of really cool people and so I'll never regret playing this game. (not retired but then again I don't play very seriously).

I've quit/and came back so many times it just isn't even funny. The only thing I really and truly regret is that I wasn't there when friends got 99 cause I had quit. Some of my best friends are now maxed/comped and I missed those moments.

If anything the one thing I may regret is not being as sociable as I could on the game. Once I started getting 99s, I'd rather grind skills than go to community sals events.

Eventually the greater majority of us will become retired RS Veterans, i don't think its a waste of time at all. But it's all in how you choose to look at it. You enjoyed what you did when you were doing it. So look at it like it was all a part of a hobby that you no longer do. Saying doing what you enjoyed in general is a waste of time when its all said and done, is like saying well i use to love playing school football but all the training and games was a waste of time because i no longer like it like i did for example. Sure there is no real benefit like other things... but don't think of what else you could have done, that is naive. We spend our entire lives wasting time and not doing what we should, don't narrow it down to one thing.

I definitely don't regret playing back in 2008-2011 when I was quite active. Every time I logged on I would go into Elvemage's cc and pretty much talk and hang out there while I train my skills or do quests. It was absolutely fun, there was a community and eventually I got to know all the regulars who came to the cc each time they logged on. We had some fun times, chatting, trolling, seeing some of them in game, etc. I log on today and look at my friend's list with hundreds of people on it and I see some of the names and quite a few just ring a bell in my head like "hey, i've definitely seen that name before". This game has provided me with great memories, it would be awesome if I could re live them for just a couple of hours so I can remember what it was like. But like with all good things they must come to end, and unfortunately those times I had on runescape in 2008 are times that I will never experience again

Edited by Sora KH x