Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Micael Fatia

The State Of The Clan World

The two top OSRS clans, Ancient Fury and Reign of Terror had a 33 hours long 1-item war during the New Year's eve.

A 33 hours 1-item war. Both clans are claiming the "win" (as if anyone can be considered victorious in such retarded waste of time) and RoT has members actually trying hard to defend what they did while the rest of the clan community is basically facepalming at the disgusting and unhealthy waste of time of epic proportions.

They're also claiming the 33 hours "fight" broke the previous record - TT Vs DF 24 hours I believe, but both clans actually had gear so one can at least say it was somewhat fun and the war had a point - and trying to use it as the reason why they stayed online for so long having the most pointless fight the RuneScape clan world has ever witnessed.

Truth be told I'm finding all of this hilarious. It's unbelievable how RoT has people defending what they did and trying to convince the community they had fun. It's just sad really. AF is just a dumb in my opinion, but at least they seem to have a little more common sense and you can tell they are more or less ashamed of it. But RoT is trying really hard, even made signatures to celebrate and everything as if they had achieved something to be proud of.

This rivalry has gone too far, it's just not healthy to do what they did.

I'm not really a part of this anymore, but I browse Zybez when I'm bored and I don't really like what I see. Almost no one seems to admit defeat anymore, like here both sides claim victory. There isn't really an honor code anymore, and I thought it was stupid at the time but it really preserved some civility and fairness. I play Old School most of the time, and I've been in clans before, but I don't have much desire to join any clan at the moment.

You're right. Nobody ever admits defeat unless it's mega obvious they lost, and even so the very few times clans like RoT "admit defeat" they always have excuses like "the fight was [insert random number of clans here] vs 1" and still not even once they say they lost. What they do is basically explain the reasons why they lost without ever actually admitting defeat, it's pretty ridiculous because you can tell they know they lost or that at least they didn't win (since there are times nobody wins really) but simply refuse to acknowledge it in public.

Plenty of ridiculous cases out there like Downfall claiming they closed EoS when they basically didn't enter the Wilderness for months when EoS was around; RoT claiming they are the undisputed, unchallenged and undefeated #1 clan and completely ignoring how badly they got beaten in the J Cup; Sovereign getting slapped by DI for hours and then posting win topics over them with like 10 kills of which only like two or three are of actual DI members etc...

I think at this point all that is left of the clan world is the more hardcore players, the ones who get too involved in the drama that the clan world is, can't admit defeat and take offense at everything. Every little trivial thing seems to be a valid reason to start a crash war nowadays or to start 1-iteaming. There is just no honour and no respect like you said. It's pretty sad because 8 years ago we were all kids and now we're grown ups, things should be better and not worse.

Edited by Micael Fatia

I read both topics, three things disturb me

1. Some people play for 31 straight hours.

2. They did the above on New Year's Eve

3. RoT openly admits to botting on a forum Mod Mat K reads lol.

And that's all the 1-item stuff aside.

The botting thing gave me a laugh. I think some of the them were botting but the majority weren't, and the whole "invalid area" spam thing was just to fool people and make them think it was a genius trolling move by RoT. They had people playing legitimately doing the spam (there are screenshots of kills taken by members doing the spam which proves they were there) and other botting returning and doing the spam too to make the community think they were part of the troll.

Problem is a lot of people still reported them by all means available out of spite forcing J Mods to take a look at the RoT accounts and they obviously caught the few ones that were botting and possibly others who bot outside wars (training and monster farming etc).

Serves them right tbh lol.

I always thought ROT was a fun clan to have in the community (or at least they made things more interesting) but I dislike how they're number one. You get stuff like this. Unchecked egos are never fun to deal with.

AFs story:

After ending their trip on Tuesday (Topic) we heard that RoT was out hunting AC at around 4:00 AM GMT and we decided to hit them. We massed 25 people and hit RoT east of greaters, immediately RoT members started running away and were seen returning in one item so we decided to stick around and give them a taste of their own medicine. It wasn't long before they were down to nothing in game and were just essentially returning to die with their 5 people. It was this way up until around the 14 hour mark, when SV made an appearance and with both clans in 1 item we decided it would be a decent opportunity to gear up and see if they would actually gear up as well (which they obviously didn't.) Once we were in gear it became rather easy to kill 1 itemers and after a while SV had ****ed off so we returned to what we were doing before. The fight proceeded to be as before with us killing RoT members teleing up on sight. Until around the 18 hour mark, at which point RoT started to tele up to GDZ with retribution + auto retaliate and go AFK.

At this point we knew it was pretty much over, with there being times there would be no RoT in game. Even with the many times we could've taken a cleared picture and left, we stayed to continue to beat them down. For around hours 22-30 it was essentially the same **** over and over. They would sit in GDZ 100% of them being afk, while about 50% of us were doing the same, and the other 50% killing RoT members. It went on like this until about 10:30 am GMT, when it seemed RoT had started to actually come back to life and attack people in game instead of standing there AFK. With the numbers we had at the time we kept it going, and around 5 minutes later, RoT were seen taking a 30 opt fall in inside the 8-9 AF members spamming Gf AF, and then had proceeded to run west and log out, giving us the victory after 30.5 hours of battling.

RoTs story:

On Tuesday night, at roughly 11PM EST, we went out to put 20 or so AF in a coffin. We would rush their world and immediately lock horns for the next 32 hours making us the clan holding the longest fight in RS history (formerly TT vs DF 24hrs).

Before I say anything else, it's important to note that AF just a few weeks ago had sworn against doing any kind of 1-iteming after our 12-hour long iron man fight against another team as it was a waste to them. Keeping that in mind, AF had been pking on Tuesday night with 1-item and decided to take a shot at the undisputed kings. AF called a PK to 1-item us and, as always, wasted no time in calling VR/DF to help them fight RoT. We instinctively took this as a challenge.

We targeted many of their weak members and put them to sleep one by one. It was clear no AF / DF / VR member wanted to be here, and while we never made any of this mandatory, AF did many times. Throughout the night and even until Wednesday afternoon, AF members weren't fully informed of what their clan was doing and returned in full gear to a 1-item fight that their clan had started. We immediately hopped on these individuals and took them out, killing over 75 of them throughout the entire battle. All anti-RoT (AF/DF/VR) would at one point lose their +1 and we got plenty of godswords and krakens (over 6 I believe). As Wednesday evening arrived, we knew we this fight wouldn't end any time soon and we made plans to 1-item until Sunday at minimum.

As Thursday morning came, we noticed AF had dropped from about 10~ people on average to less than three. It was the perfect time to put them to sleep. AF would become desperate and begin asking for help on different websites to target us but it was all to no avail. We still remained with an average of 20 people and AF would slowly give up. At around 6am EST, AF's Leader had shut off his laptop and AF, just like that, left the wilderness after a 32-hour beat down making Reign of Terror the champions of the longest fight on RS. All I say is, I was expecting to go until next week. Too easy, too fudgeing easy.

It's hilarious how incredibly biased both sides of the story are. Why aren't there "moderators" that monitor the battle and watch what happens, to prevent crap like this from happening?

But yes, a 32 hour 1-item fight (on NY nonetheless) seems like such an incredibly stupid thing to do.

In think in this case there isn't much mods can do lol, I mean nobody sane stayed around to watch a 30 hours long 1-item war during New Year's eve and nobody posted decisive proof their clan "won". You can't even evaluate which clan did better in a 1-item fight because nobody is losing anything, not even food because nobody returns with it. There is no organization, no tactics/strategy, nothing at all. You just ancient tele to gdz in a d scimitar, rune xbow or ancient staff and attack something until you die.

As some guy posted in the RoT topic the "winner" if you can consider this "fight" (if you can consider it a fight too) had one is whichever group of idiots had the most willpower and burned the most time.

If I were a RSC CD mod I'd argue in the mod boards both topics should get closed because it's just shameful. The CD isn't doing too well though (by their standards; it is still pretty active but far from it's glory days) and both topics are getting lots of posts so they just don't care. >.<

Edited by Micael Fatia

The topics were merged, at least they were earlier today. I think they merged the botting one too.

Really? >.<

It's kinda sad they are going to allow this merged topic to remain open. In the old days they would have closed it in a heartbeat, and even suggesting it should stay open would have been considered laughable. How times change lol.

The clan world is screwed up now. When I clanned, I thought 4-6 hrs was long, but, fudge, 30 hrs is way too long for a fight.

I'd like to say this is probably just a manifestation of the type of community osrs has, but I realised that stupider things have occurred in rs3.

Regardless of game type, thats a hilariously dumb thing to do and an epic waste of time :/

And Mic, I think most of the people who played Rs in its heyday probably don't play now (peeps like us are probably the minority). A surprisingly large number of people play osrs who actually never played in 07 before.

Trust me the current OSRS clanning community consists of 90% of old school clanners like myself, a large percentage started clanning even before me. :P

Unfortunately the clan world has evolved to something very few new players take interest in, it was much better in the old days. Fights of today take too long and have too much beef involved, only the more hardcore clanners find it enjoyable. And if you're new you get looked down upon by a lot of elitist pricks just because you didn't start clanning in like 2005 like them. Nobody likes to join a clan world where you're treated as inferior just because you aren't a veteran. :/

And if you're new you get looked down upon by a lot of elitist pricks just because you didn't start clanning in like 2005 like them.

Yeah this is one of several things that might prevent me from clanning. I haven't done it since 2010 so if I were to do it now it'd basically be starting over and I'd be new again. This is a bad attitude to have, but individuals usually don't act in the best interests of the clan world.

I actually started clanning in 2005 though :ninja: but I don't think the Ultimate Pkers qualified as a top clan. :P

Edited by Shooter585

I don't think the Ultimate Pkers qualified as a top clan. :P

don't believe the liberal press. It did!

You started clanning before me then. I joined my first "real" clan in 2006. :P

I clanned before 3x, but pretty awful clans far worse than The Ultimate PKers. And while TUP may not have been a "top" clan by RSC standards I'd consider it a top Sals clan. I remember being of the opinion you guys were pretty awesome and even considered joining at some point, but ended up not doing it because I thought I was too nooby and didn't want you to make fun of me. :P

When I finally decided to give clanning a proper try you guys had become sorta inactive compared to the other Sals clans at the time (3xtermination, FT, TR, DDB, Solar Angels etc) so I ended up joining 3x because my friend Henrique was in it (and because Pete pmed me a crap load of times in-game to convince me to join).

The thing with OSRS and the Clan World is that the community has shrunk and has disintegrated into a small number of clans. The top four cannot compete with the top clan (RoT) but have fights circulating around the four. The level of respect even pre-OSRS, dating from 2009-2012 was already going downhill. Now, with the lack of clans in the game and the #1 clan not really representing what a #1 clan should be, has resulted in an unenjoyable community. There are no solutions to this, it is how the game will be for a while until the community dies out or a new clan takes #1. Even if a clan takes #1, that still may not be enough to turn around the community.

The situation is dire. The game in which most of us still play is going downhill and the amount of clans participating in the clan world has shrunk. The new players to this game are not interested in any of the reprecussions that come with being in a clan; such as DDoSing, hacking, etc. This was a small issue at first and now it's a full-scale issue. So, to summarize - the gaming community is not and will not be the same for a long time. To change the whole community is not possible and if it is, will take a while.

I'm here because Sal's emailed me... Runescape clans are still a thing?

Yeah, nowhere near as good as it was before though. The community is basically split in two, OSRS and RS3. I take it you haven't played in a while so I don't know if you're aware of what EoC is. Basically a new combat system that killed clanning, and the way Jagex found to make clanners happy was to release an "old school" version with the old combat system (based in the year 2007 pre GE). Problem is you had to start all over from level 3 and this made a lot of clanners quit. Most top clans closed and there's only a few left now: RoT, DI, VR, DF and AF are the 'top' clans and then there's like 4 or 5 mid sized clans.

RS3 clan world consists of the clanners/clans who do not have the time to max again, mostly BRs and a bunch of teams that recycle members. OSRS isn't great but RS3 is even worse. Only clan worthy of note that gave RS3 a try was EoS, but we closed because we had no competition and everybody avoided us like the plague.

Edited by Micael Fatia

I played 07 for a bit, knew a few people in RoT, all the IRC channels I occasionally go in are dead now a days though so I'm of touch.

8 years on Sal's today as well!

Well Ronin is back, so that's at least one clan alive with roots to Sals. All that is left from the once great Sals CD. :(

I miss this place.

Is Ronin the same Ronin from Sals? I always assumed it was the same name but different people.

It's worth noting that AF is a p2p team that doesn't really have official f2p events barring things like J cup, so they aren't really a f2p contender (lots of members from VR in AF though)