Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
teacuptime

Jagex cancels Transformers Universe

I've not seen this mentioned elsewhere, but on December 16th, Jagex announced that they are shutting down Transformers Universe.

https://www.transformersuniverse.com/en/news/2014/12/important-tu-announcement-161214 for full details, the tl;dr version is that the game will never get out of beta, if you bought any of the pay 2 win stuff you'll be getting a refund, and on the 31st January the servers will be switched off.

Transformers Universe joins FunOrb, Mechscape, Stellar Dawn, Thirdscape and 8 Realms on the ever growing list of failed Jagex projects funded by Runescape players.

Tried waroflegends when it came out, enjoyed, played, paid.... Quickly realized it was the love-child red-headed stepchild of jagex.... I still hop on once every month or so... It really needs to be shutdown. Put it out of its misery.

8realms. LOL. Played it to say I did, not at all sad to see it go.

Transformers was actually really fun. There wasn't anything critically wrong with it on the front end... I guess it just never took off for a variety of reasons.

Jagex.... gotta love to hate em

Sobend made a topic about it last month, but he posted it here, most likely due to its relevance this would financially mean in relation to JaGEx's support of RuneScape and its variations.

Man this company can't do anything right.

Classic one-hit-wonder game developer. Just because you got lucky and one of your games became successful doesn't mean it will happen again, particularly in a market like MMORPGs, which is extremely hard to get into.

See: Notch. The guy made out like a bandit but he's actually pretty bad at being successful as Minecraft is basically the only game he made that saw any success. He was incredibly lucky.

Edited by theking1322

Man this company can't do anything right.

Classic one-hit-wonder game developer. Just because you got lucky and one of your games became successful doesn't mean it will happen again, particularly in a market like MMORPGs, which is extremely hard to get into.

See: Notch. The guy made out like a bandit but he's actually pretty bad at being successful as Minecraft is basically the only game he made that saw any success. He was incredibly lucky.

well considering it was the Gower brothers who make the game and they left I can't really say I'm surprised

Notch also left Minecraft, the current team can't even get a working API going. Hopefully Microsoft buying them will lead to better things though

Jagex hasn't even made a widely popular game to be honest. Runescape was created by a few brothers living in their parents' house. Mainly through luck, the game took off. The Jagex that created Runescape no longer exists. Andrew Gower left long ago and Paul Gower is nothing more than a consultant. I think the only people left from pre-RS2 Runescape are Mod Mark and Mod Ash.

And yay Zooey beat me to it.

I know this topic is a bit old now, but I am just surprised to see TU was shut down. I thought that it was being made by Jagex but sponsored by another company or something? Maybe I have my facts wrong though.

In any case that's extremely disappointing, it seems as if they can't get close to the success that Runescape was/is.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines and Privacy Policy.