Sal's RuneScape Forum
Forrest Jump

PC Gaming Club

The gaming year of 2014  

20 members have voted

1. 1. What was the biggest disappointment of 2014?

• Assassin's Creed: Unity
    • Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
    • Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2
    • Destiny
    • Elder Scrolls: Online
    • The Sims 4
    • Thief
    • Sid Meyer's Civilization: Beyond Earth
    • Watch Dogs
    • Wildstar
  2. 2. What was the best game of 2014?

• Dark Souls 2
    • Divinity: Original Sin
    • Dragon Age: Inquisition
    • Far Cry 4
    • FIFA 2015
    • Heroes of Warcraft
    • Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor
    • SMITE
    • South Park: Stick of Truth
    • Wolfenstein: The New Order
  3. 3. What is the most anticipated game of 2015?

• Assassin's Creed: Victory
    • Batman: Arkham Knight
    • EVOLVE
    • Grand Theft Auto 5
    • Just Cause 3
    • Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain
    • Saints Row: Gat out of Hell
    • Star Wars: Battlefront
    • The Witcher 3
    • Tom Clancy's The Division

Oh no, not another game. I have too many games, damn it, and now they re-release Grim Fandango? D:

omgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomg

You are not helping. Do you seriously think I would cave in and drop everything because it looks awesome, gorgeous and hilari... damn you, damn you all to hell. :(

Looking at buying a new PC soon, definitely looking forward to being able to run games like a modded out Skyrim on max settings with high FPS. Definitely will bring me back into gaming, gotta say I've missed it.

Oh no, not another game. I have too many games, damn it, and now they re-release Grim Fandango? D:

omgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomg

You are not helping. Do you seriously think I would cave in and drop everything because it looks awesome, gorgeous and hilari... damn you, damn you all to hell. :(

tumblr_mi5v3c7L9c1r1vvrio1_1280.jpg

one week omgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomg

been playing Transistor this weekend (the 'new' game from the guys from bastion)

really great game completely unlike any I played before

the combination of "turn based" planning strategy and real time combat feels oddly right from the moment you get introduced to it

also the extreme variety of weapons and upgrades (each 'weapon' can also be used an upgrade for another weapon or a passive upgrade) makes for interesting gameplay

now the hard part will be to finish this today because tomorrow is Grim Fandango day!

welp, I can't read *

Edited by Arianna

Eh, I will still wait for a sale on Grim Fandango. 100 hours in, and I am still not done with Dragon Age: Inquisition. Far from it, actually. o_O

Eh, I will still wait for a sale on Grim Fandango. 100 hours in, and I am still not done with Dragon Age: Inquisition. Far from it, actually. o_O

Burn the infidel! Burn! Burn I say! Disguise him as a church and call Varg Vikernes!

srsly though, my Fallout and Ski Challenge playing time will suffer hard

Not to mention that I also bought one for my sister who absolutely LOVED Glottis when she was little :P

Burn the infidel! Burn! Burn I say! Disguise him as a church and call Varg Vikernes!

Not to mention that I also bought one for my sister who absolutely LOVED Glottis when she was little :P

If you had seen my Steam Library, you would know why I just do not have time. :(

If you had seen my Steam Library, you would know why I just do not have time. :(

dota2 1070 hours played

don't blame your steam library

it's only a few games bigger than mine

blame dota the real cause :P

dota2 1070 hours played

..... Bugger, I forgot that you could see it. You are not helping! :xd:

I would be done with more games on Steam if it was not for Dragon Age: Inquisition though, but I just know that the year of 2015 will be the year of massive games, so.. little actual gaming for me, beyond the 5 core games. In my defense, I do play a hell of a lot of other games too, and finish many, but.. y'know... DOTA 2 is the one I always go back to. :P

dota2 1070 hours played

onethousandandseventywhaaaaaaat

onethousandandseventywhaaaaaaat

Welcome to DOTA 2. May we please take your soul? ~Valve

Edited by Yuanrang

been playing Transistor this weekend (the 'new' game from the guys from bastion)

really great game completely unlike any I played before

the combination of "turn based" planning strategy and real time combat feels oddly right from the moment you get introduced to it

also the extreme variety of weapons and upgrades (each 'weapon' can also be used an upgrade for another weapon or a passive upgrade) makes for interesting gameplay

now the hard part will be to finish this today because tomorrow is Grim Fandango day!

I don't know how to feel about Transistor. I really really like the combat but it hasn't really drawn me in to be honest. It may be the fact that it's very light on the story.

I started playing it again after I got like 30 hours into it, and I still profoundly disappointed by the combat system. They could have straight-up copied and pasted the combat system from DA1 (or even DA2) and it would have been fantastic. Instead they replaced it with a crappy ARPG-esque system and a tactical view that if anything makes it harder to play. As a rogue I can either use a bow and just hold down LMB or I can play a dual dagger rogue and miss every 5 seconds because of the weird way attacking works.

Don't get me wrong, the combat is serviceable and the rest is good, I just really wish there was some depth there.

I started playing it again after I got like 30 hours into it, and I still profoundly disappointed by the combat system. They could have straight-up copied and pasted the combat system from DA1 (or even DA2) and it would have been fantastic. Instead they replaced it with a crappy ARPG-esque system and a tactical view that if anything makes it harder to play. As a rogue I can either use a bow and just hold down LMB or I can play a dual dagger rogue and miss every 5 seconds because of the weird way attacking works.

Don't get me wrong, the combat is serviceable and the rest is good, I just really wish there was some depth there.

Doing my first playthrough on Nightmare as a 2-handed Warrior --> Reaver, and to be fair, I see some valid concerns and some... not so much. The tactical view is something I have never really used, so I am not too bothered with it, but it was clunky to move around. The few times I have needed it, as in forcibly scattering people from an incoming AOE blast, it has worked pretty damn well.

As for the Archers... I am not sure if you are entirely doing it right, in that case. My Reaver is completely spec'd for control and combinations, so he is not the primary damage dealer. My Rogue functions as Single Target and Mage as AOE damage dealer. I find DA:I's system to be outright superior to Origins, which is pretty clunky, but slightly inferior to Dragon Age 2 in terms of movement. You really have to position yourself well for melee abilities, but after quite a lot of Multiplayer, I do not find that to be an issue. There are way too many positioning skills around for that to be a problem, and by doing it right, you should always land melee strikes. Grappling Chain and Charging Bull, for instance, solves that problem for the Warrior. I would imagine your frustration stems from abilities such as Twin Fangs which has a notorious short jump in the stab, but that is easily countered if you roll with some CC first. If they can't move, they can't dodge. If you can not CC, they are way too large and slow to be able to dodge, unless it is a boss or a Dragon (in case of hitbox issues, due to tail).

As an Archer, how can you just be spamming basic attack (and I guess occasional Long Shot)? There is way more to it than that. :P

...though yes, I would imagine if you were after some depth a la Baldur's Gate or Neverwinter Nights, the combat falls short. It is serviceable, but it is hardly attrocious. I see it as less ARPG-esque than Dragon Age 2 though. That was the incarnate of ARPG-esque. At least I feel like there are more depth to it this time, though I really miss the combo potentials of Origins.

Doing my first playthrough on Nightmare as a 2-handed Warrior --> Reaver, and to be fair, I see some valid concerns and some... not so much. The tactical view is something I have never really used, so I am not too bothered with it, but it was clunky to move around. The few times I have needed it, as in forcibly scattering people from an incoming AOE blast, it has worked pretty damn well.

As for the Archers... I am not sure if you are entirely doing it right, in that case. My Reaver is completely spec'd for control and combinations, so he is not the primary damage dealer. My Rogue functions as Single Target and Mage as AOE damage dealer. I find DA:I's system to be outright superior to Origins, which is pretty clunky, but slightly inferior to Dragon Age 2 in terms of movement. You really have to position yourself well for melee abilities, but after quite a lot of Multiplayer, I do not find that to be an issue. There are way too many positioning skills around for that to be a problem, and by doing it right, you should always land melee strikes. Grappling Chain and Charging Bull, for instance, solves that problem for the Warrior. I would imagine your frustration stems from abilities such as Twin Fangs which has a notorious short jump in the stab, but that is easily countered if you roll with some CC first. If they can't move, they can't dodge. If you can not CC, they are way too large and slow to be able to dodge, unless it is a boss or a Dragon (in case of hitbox issues, due to tail).

As an Archer, how can you just be spamming basic attack (and I guess occasional Long Shot)? There is way more to it than that. :P

...though yes, I would imagine if you were after some depth a la Baldur's Gate or Neverwinter Nights, the combat falls short. It is serviceable, but it is hardly attrocious. I see it as less ARPG-esque than Dragon Age 2 though. That was the incarnate of ARPG-esque. At least I feel like there are more depth to it this time, though I really miss the combo potentials of Origins.

I'm not just spamming basic attacks, but even when you're not it's not that interesting. It's basically managing cooldowns and repositioning when necessary. Like I said, the combat is serviceable but in DA1 you actually had to think about controlling other characters. I don't even want to do that here because it's so clunky compared to DA1/2 which means there's no incentive for me to play on a higher difficulty because micromanaging is just more complicated.

And positioning myself for melee abilities isn't so much the issue, it's that when I'm right next to an enemy and I auto, I sometimes just straight up miss because I'm slightly out of position. I just think that's fairly lame.

The ARPG aspect works okay but they just gimped the tactical part. Like, what is even up with that shoddy zoom, I can barely see anything. I can't play this like I did DA1 or DA2 and I just think it's a bit odd that they would make such a game design choice. DA2 was significantly better for tactical gameplay, as was DA2.

I'm not just spamming basic attacks, but even when you're not it's not that interesting. It's basically managing cooldowns and repositioning when necessary. Like I said, the combat is serviceable but in DA1 you actually had to think about controlling other characters. I don't even want to do that here because it's so clunky compared to DA1/2 which means there's no incentive for me to play on a higher difficulty because micromanaging is just more complicated.

And positioning myself for melee abilities isn't so much the issue, it's that when I'm right next to an enemy and I auto, I sometimes just straight up miss because I'm slightly out of position. I just think that's fairly lame.

The ARPG aspect works okay but they just gimped the tactical part. Like, what is even up with that shoddy zoom, I can barely see anything. I can't play this like I did DA1 or DA2 and I just think it's a bit odd that they would make such a game design choice. DA2 was significantly better for tactical gameplay, as was DA2.

Honestly, I have cleared Nightmare on all Dragon Age games (apart from Inquisition, I have not done it yet, but I am almost 90% sure that I will manage, with how I am faring), and I never really had to use the Tactical View or switch stuff around. I mean... The tactics system made any kind of switching obsolete due to the complexity of that system. As far as clunkiness, I am not seeing that. Dragon Age: Origins is currently clunky, but I feel like switching things around is really simple since the game allows you to set it up as an MMO, and it works pretty much to the detail as an MMO. :s

I know what you mean, that annoyed the hell out of me until I figured that moving towards them while attacking makes the distance of the attacks longer since your character leaps forward in a greater stride. Once I realised that, it was never really a big problem. Trust me here, missing a swing is far more damaging as a Warrior, than a Rogue, and it is not much of an issue missing my Dragon Rage (which is a really low range compared to Mighty Blow, Pommel Strike or Devour).

You could not play DA2 as you played Dragon Age: Origins either. :cute:

(I really did like DA2's combat system though. It + the DLCs were the redeeming factor of Dragon Age 2. I do find Inquisition's to be overall worse than DA 2's, but I do find it overall better than DA:O's apart from the more intuitive combos.).

Honestly, I have cleared Nightmare on all Dragon Age games (apart from Inquisition, I have not done it yet, but I am almost 90% sure that I will manage, with how I am faring), and I never really had to use the Tactical View or switch stuff around. I mean... The tactics system made any kind of switching obsolete due to the complexity of that system. As far as clunkiness, I am not seeing that. Dragon Age: Origins is currently clunky, but I feel like switching things around is really simple since the game allows you to set it up as an MMO, and it works pretty much to the detail as an MMO. :s

I know what you mean, that annoyed the hell out of me until I figured that moving towards them while attacking makes the distance of the attacks longer since your character leaps forward in a greater stride. Once I realised that, it was never really a big problem. Trust me here, missing a swing is far more damaging as a Warrior, than a Rogue, and it is not much of an issue missing my Dragon Rage (which is a really low range compared to Mighty Blow, Pommel Strike or Devour).

You could not play DA2 as you played Dragon Age: Origins either. :cute:

(I really did like DA2's combat system though. It + the DLCs were the redeeming factor of Dragon Age 2. I do find Inquisition's to be overall worse than DA 2's, but I do find it overall better than DA:O's apart from the more intuitive combos.).

When I say clunky, I mean to say that it's clunky if you try to do anything that isn't the standard MMO gameplay, that is, tactical gameplay.

And yeah, DA2's gameplay is not the same as DA1's, but I think the change is more minor. It was still mainly tactical though there was a move toward ARPG combat. Still, in DA2 you had the option of playing it like an ARPG and you had the option of playing it more tactically which is what I'm missing.

When I say clunky, I mean to say that it's clunky if you try to do anything that isn't the standard MMO gameplay, that is, tactical gameplay.

And yeah, DA2's gameplay is not the same as DA1's, but I think the change is more minor. It was still mainly tactical though there was a move toward ARPG combat. Still, in DA2 you had the option of playing it like an ARPG and you had the option of playing it more tactically which is what I'm missing.

Oh, right. I feel like DA:I is closer to DA 2, especially considering that Dragon Age 2 did not even have tactical view. It really did not have a lot of depth to it. :P

Oh, right. I feel like DA:I is closer to DA 2, especially considering that Dragon Age 2 did not even have tactical view. It really did not have a lot of depth to it. :P

In all fairness, DA2 didn't need a separate tactical view as you could zoom out far enough. You could plan abilities and movements easily, whereas the tactical view here is basically a slightly more zoomed out version of your normal view.

fudge the world it's grim fandango day

yeah I'm pondering about going home early today...

One great advantage of the economic crisis is that I get to go home from work at 12.30! :D

EDIT: download file corrupted dear Brennercom fudge you with a rusty chainsaw

Bcmt6Ia.jpg

Edited by Arianna

dota2 1070 hours played

Are the words cyka blyat part of your common vocabulary now?

Edited by theking1322

dota2 1070 hours played

Are the words cyka blyat part of your common vocabulary now?

You are quoting the wrong guy. He was checking how much I have played DOTA, and yes, it is. >.<

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines and Privacy Policy.