Sal's RuneScape Forum
Forrest Jump

PC Gaming Club

The gaming year of 2014  

20 members have voted

1. 1. What was the biggest disappointment of 2014?

• Assassin's Creed: Unity
    • Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
    • Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2
    • Destiny
    • Elder Scrolls: Online
    • The Sims 4
    • Thief
    • Sid Meyer's Civilization: Beyond Earth
    • Watch Dogs
    • Wildstar
  2. 2. What was the best game of 2014?

• Dark Souls 2
    • Divinity: Original Sin
    • Dragon Age: Inquisition
    • Far Cry 4
    • FIFA 2015
    • Heroes of Warcraft
    • Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor
    • SMITE
    • South Park: Stick of Truth
    • Wolfenstein: The New Order
  3. 3. What is the most anticipated game of 2015?

• Assassin's Creed: Victory
    • Batman: Arkham Knight
    • EVOLVE
    • Grand Theft Auto 5
    • Just Cause 3
    • Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain
    • Saints Row: Gat out of Hell
    • Star Wars: Battlefront
    • The Witcher 3
    • Tom Clancy's The Division

I think I would be more interested in Cities Skylines if it was not for the fact that Sim City 2000 and Theme Hospital has been free on Origin (Theme Hospital still is and is HIGHLY recommended).

I think I would be more interested in Cities Skylines if it was not for the fact that Sim City 2000 and Theme Hospital has been free on Origin (Theme Hospital still is and is HIGHLY recommended).

Sim City 2000, subtitled "destroy ALL the things!!!"

Theme Hospital is also a great game, indeed.

by Paradox
instant buy

I really, really got into EU4 unexpectedly. I didn't enjoy (nor play much of) EU3 or CK2, but EU4 is just simple enough to be fun and complex enough to be replayable. Now I've suddenly got 200 hours in it. The new DLC looks really cool as well. Their excellent community involvement makes me really interested to try stuff like this.

Edited by reepicheep

I pretty much ignore everything that isn't an expansion anyhow so I don't really care :P

Paradox is cool but I hate their DLC policy with a passion

Same, but their games are like turbocharged cocaine. I have to keep myself from playing EU4 during weekdays, because I might very well end up playing until sunrise, and then say "ah screw it, I'll just keep playing until breakfast", then the missus wakes up, all but pleased

by Paradox
instant buy

I really, really got into EU4 unexpectedly. I didn't enjoy (nor play much of) EU3 or CK2, but EU4 is just simple enough to be fun and complex enough to be replayable. Now I've suddenly got 200 hours in it. The new DLC looks really cool as well. Their excellent community involvement makes me really interested to try stuff like this.

EU4 is indeed slightly simpler than EU3, which in turn is more intuitive than EU2.

Speaking of Paradox... if you are a A Song of Ice and Fire / Game of Thrones / GOT-mod off Crusader Kings II fan, this might get you hyped:

http://www.pcgamer.c...would-consider/

WHY DOES THE SCREEN NOT REACT WHEN I THROW MONEY AT IT

I can dream that maybe one day Steam will have Digimon World 1. I was pretty obsessed with that game (and Digimon in general) when I was 10, and so were my closest friends. Good times.

We are sorely missing a good Digimon game.

I want Halo on Steam so I can actually try the series and check out the hype and also Final Fantasy 6 + Tactics. :(

Best EU4 (damnit, ANOTHER dlc) review, EVER:

In Europa Universalis IV you play a powerful sorcerer that acts as the "guiding hand" for the nation. The spells you cast draw on three mana pools: Paper Mana, Bird Mana, and Sword Mana. Bird mana is used to make peace deals, genocide cultures, and stop your people from whining about war weariness. Paper mana, in combination with a gold sacrifice, can be used to cast construction spells, in addition to making a province you gained two years ago a core part of your nation somehow. Sword mana is used for enchanting rebel factions to keep them in line. You generate mana for these pools by sucking the life essence from your monarch and his cabinet of advisors. Be careful, though, as the ones that generate the most mana tend to die rather quickly. You'll frequently see your 6/4/5 monarch die by age 30.

You'll notice that most of the spells are involved with either war or keeping your people from whining about war. Don't worry, that's by design. There's nothing to do if you aren't at war.

10/10 it's okay

Any decent RTS games nowadays? I played hundreds of hours of Red Alert 2 and Empire Earth growing up, kinda hoping to find a similar game to those.

Any decent RTS games nowadays? I played hundreds of hours of Red Alert 2 and Empire Earth growing up, kinda hoping to find a similar game to those.

starcraft 2?

the first campaign is great, the second is decent but a bit too much like wow raiding from time to time for my taste

I think the best modern day RTS games, and pretty much the only ones, would be Red Alert 3 and StarCraft 2. Age of Empires 2 was remastered for HD not long ago, so that might be worth it too, but... RTS is a pretty dead genre, at this point. :P

I've heard decent things about Grey Goo, might be worth checking out. Apparently made by some of the same people as the guys who made C&C.

The last really good RTS I played and that was released more or less recently was C&C Red Alert 3. C&C 4 Tiberium Twilight was a disappointment from what I've heard. I admit I didn't try it myself but the negative reviews were just overwhelming, and if there's something I learned to trust about Steam are the reviews the playerbase give the games. I made the mistake of not listening to them when I bought A Game of Throne - Genesis (another RTS) and it was a massive waste of Money, the game is horrible.

You can also play games that have become/are now becoming RTS classics, such as C&C 3 Tiberium Wars or Battle for Middle Earth 2 (my personal favourite).

Also I grew up playing C&C Red Alert 2 too, I still have all the damn songs of that game imprinted in my brain.

Taking it back to Castle Wolfenstein :D

Also stuff about source2 announced and a bunch of steam stuff. Valve gonna be v busy this year

Also I grew up playing C&C Red Alert 2 too
Helium mix optimal, mother[bleep]ers

The saddest thing is that he grew up on the sequel. Now I really feel old. I remember playing C&C as well as Red Alert with my friends, cracking jokes and taking names. :(

anyone else here who played civ beyond earth who also has the feeling that the game is ridiculously easy or rather that the AI simply forgets to win?

to be specific, I played 3 games already and won all 3, 2 on normal and one on hard

especially in that last game on 'hard' it was simply silly, I went for a 'purity' win in this game for the first time and thsu made quite a few mistakes along the way

an opponent got his gate (the wonder needed) built 7 or 8 turns before mine was finished and yet didn't manage to get his win in before mine, even tho I forgot to "transport" a settler from earth through that gate multiple times

in all logic he should have won 10 turns before me, or 5 at least if he would have had trouble finding suitable settling spots on the map

aside from that there were other mayor issues too, in my first game I was at war almost constantly with 2 neighbours, while no aggressive action was taken most of the time they however kept sending "trade units" through one of my cities (with a garrison) which gave me 100 Gold pieces energy each turn...

seriously...

a civ 5 game on the biggest map I can win each time on 'hard' as long as I concentrate

a game in BE I can win even if I fudge up several times along the way...

Edited by Egghebrecht

I think it was reported that midgame and lategame in Beyond Earth had an AI that just cheats to have some difficulty, rather than become "smarter", making it as dumb as it gets. :P

The saddest thing is that he grew up on the sequel. Now I really feel old. I remember playing C&C as well as Red Alert with my friends, cracking jokes and taking names. :(

If it makes you feel better I remember the original too, I just didn't have a computer/any consoles back then so the only way I could play it was when I visited a friend that owned the game's house like twice a week. :P

I think it was reported that midgame and lategame in Beyond Earth had an AI that just cheats to have some difficulty, rather than become "smarter", making it as dumb as it gets. :P

yeah he clearly cheats, if you capture one of his cities it's obvious that you can't get anything good with such a capital but still it is extremely retarded literally

it is so obviously stupid that it gets extremely annoying

even the gee eff was complaining that it was way too easy...

Edited by Egghebrecht

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines and Privacy Policy.