Sal's RuneScape Forum
Forrest Jump

PC Gaming Club

The gaming year of 2014  

20 members have voted

1. 1. What was the biggest disappointment of 2014?

• Assassin's Creed: Unity
    • Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
    • Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2
    • Destiny
    • Elder Scrolls: Online
    • The Sims 4
    • Thief
    • Sid Meyer's Civilization: Beyond Earth
    • Watch Dogs
    • Wildstar
  2. 2. What was the best game of 2014?

• Dark Souls 2
    • Divinity: Original Sin
    • Dragon Age: Inquisition
    • Far Cry 4
    • FIFA 2015
    • Heroes of Warcraft
    • Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor
    • SMITE
    • South Park: Stick of Truth
    • Wolfenstein: The New Order
  3. 3. What is the most anticipated game of 2015?

• Assassin's Creed: Victory
    • Batman: Arkham Knight
    • EVOLVE
    • Grand Theft Auto 5
    • Just Cause 3
    • Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain
    • Saints Row: Gat out of Hell
    • Star Wars: Battlefront
    • The Witcher 3
    • Tom Clancy's The Division

The only person I have from Sals on my steam list is redmonke/whatever-his-name-is-now

feel freed to add me too, SN rangerpl1322

So that's how it's gonna be now huh?

You can not blame him for wanting to advance to the Cool Crowd with the rest of us.

@@thepope1322: I added you. I am not entirely sure if you wanted one from me or not, but decline if you did not. I am sure the rest will add you too, if they want to. :P

On an unrelated note... bought Saints Row 4 and The International 5 looms on the DOTA 2 horizon, with a new Dragon Age: Inquisition Multiplayer DLC incoming too.... what a time to have no time. :(

Added you too, or at least I think that's you. :P

I bought Saints Row II, III and IV + all DLCs, the package was worth 54,99 Eur but there's a 75% promotion so I paid only 13,70 Eur for it. Was too good to resist. :P

Oh and Mount & Blade Warband too, no promotion in that one but heard it's a pretty good game and felt like giving it a try.

Edited by Micael Fatia

Just want to say that grappling in Advanced warfare is really really fun. I feel like Spiderman.

I bought Saints Row II, III and IV + all DLCs, the package was worth 54,99 Eur but there's a 75% promotion so I paid only 13,70 Eur for it. Was too good to resist. :P

Oh and Mount & Blade Warband too, no promotion in that one but heard it's a pretty good game and felt like giving it a try.

I definately look forward to playing it. I heard a lot of good about the series. I thought about getting III too, but the last one first, then see what happens. I just have too many good games to play, and yesterday I spent quite a while clearing one map in Heroes VI, so that is a time sink as well, since I enjoy it. Ugh... when am I going to get so much time to have fun with them all?! :P

Just so you're prepared, SR2 is a really bad port. I basically skipped it (or well, gave up after an hour) and didn't feel like I missed much for SR3/4.

Just so you're prepared, SR2 is a really bad port. I basically skipped it (or well, gave up after an hour) and didn't feel like I missed much for SR3/4.

Driving is COMPLETELY terrible in the PC version of SR2

the day after tomorrow brings us GoatZ, the new DLC for goat simulator

That’s right. GoatZ is the latest DLC for Goat Simulator and it will be the only survival game on Steam that isn’t in Early Access!*

Features

-Mandatory crafting system because everyone else is doing it

-Zombies that bug out. There’s a pun here about actual living bugs, but we’re not going to bother

-You can craft anything in the world, as long as it’s one of the half dozen weapons in the game

-Zombies, because this is a zombie game, remember?

-A pretty big new map with some stuff in it

-Completely realistic survival mode where you have to eat every damn five minutes to survive because Dean Hall & Garry Newman said so

*not totally sure if this is even true, to be honest we didn’t bother to look it up. But it’s still pretty funny, right?

GoatZ will be released on May 7th on Steam as a DLC for Windows, Mac and Linux and will cost $4.99. It'll also be released the same day as a seperate app on iOS and Android for the same price.

I lolled a lot about it being the only survival game on steam not in early access :P

Edited by Egghebrecht

Driving is COMPLETELY terrible in the PC version of SR2

These two guys are right, but hey, there's no accounting for taste; I quite liked its (still semi-serious) narration, and the plot will allow you to laugh approximately 61% more in SR3 and 446% more in SR4.

Also, septic truck missions. AW, YISSSSSSSSS (best minigame of all time, OF ALL TIME)

it will be the only survival game on Steam that isn’t in Early Access!
Flawless victory :xd:

edit @ below: looooooooooooooooooooooool

Edited by Arianna

Suddenly, I feel ignored by @Arianna. :(

Well, I suppose that was that cease-fire agreement out the window. :crying:

Edited by Yuanrang

I've been on a huge Dark Souls fix lately. I played it once way back when but now I'm doing another playthrough to do the DLC which I've never done. Planning on taking it at least through NG+ this time around so I can do all the quests and collect some of the rarer weapons. Anyone else here play? It's probably one of my favorite games of all time.

I've been on a huge Dark Souls fix lately. I played it once way back when but now I'm doing another playthrough to do the DLC which I've never done. Planning on taking it at least through NG+ this time around so I can do all the quests and collect some of the rarer weapons. Anyone else here play? It's probably one of my favorite games of all time.

I played New Game just before Christmas and quickly decided that it was one of the best games I had played in a very long time, if ever. The fights in the DLC was nothing short of spectacular. Going up with the Abysswalker for the first time and having what felt like a long, intense, duel... ending up with killing him on the first go... gave me more of a rush than I have ever felt.

It was a game that was fair and just in every harsh way possible. I actually enjoyed Blighttown, because it made me be aware of everything. I hated Sen's more than that, but even that was easy with timing and patience. ...and thus I trod onwards through gorgeous levels and intense moments.

Beautiful game in so many ways. :wub:

I played New Game just before Christmas and quickly decided that it was one of the best games I had played in a very long time, if ever. The fights in the DLC was nothing short of spectacular. Going up with the Abysswalker for the first time and having what felt like a long, intense, duel... ending up with killing him on the first go... gave me more of a rush than I have ever felt.

It was a game that was fair and just in every harsh way possible. I actually enjoyed Blighttown, because it made me be aware of everything. I hated Sen's more than that, but even that was easy with timing and patience. ...and thus I trod onwards through gorgeous levels and intense moments.

Beautiful game in so many ways. :wub:

Yeah there's something really special to this game. It nails the feeling of being a lone wanderer on a journey. It kind of feels like a grown-up version of RuneScape in the way that you get attached to your armor and weapons (who are really the only true companions you have) slashed with the original 2D Prince of Persia where you have to be a badass motherfudgeer to make any progress. Plus the characters, the lore, the way you learn through gameplay... ahh. It's a masterpiece of game design.

I'm currently on Anor Londo. Super excited to round up the Lord Souls and then do the DLC area. And to fight Artorias. I've made a point not to watch any videos or do any walkthru-type reading for the DLC area so I'm going in as blind as possible. :yay:

And I actually dreaded doing Blighttown again. That's how you know a game is effective. I'm dreading doing Tomb of the Giants again too. Those skele-dogs... :s

Edited by Samsara

Ah, Tomb of Giants I found frustrating due to the low light. Also, out of the Lords, Nito was by far the more annoying one. Mostly because of the additional skeletons being a hassle, really. Out of the 4 boss fights in the DLC, the last 3 are very, very, very fun. The first one is more of a "If you can beat these, you can beat the DLC" type of monsters.

I have not played Dark Souls II yet, but I can not wait for it to be on sale to try it. :D

Well... Mount and Blade: Warband is heaps of fun. Very enjoyable game. I would say it could do with a little polishing and a few improvements to make it more complex, but it's simplicity may be part of the reason why it is so good.

Honestly the only thing I'm finding annoying is when after you start your own kingdom and grow to a stage nobody can challenge you the game kinda gets boring, because nobody will declare war on you unless you start grabbing too much land meaning you have all the time in the world to prepare your next campaign that will award you another three or four castles/towns before you have to truce not to have everyone else declare war on you.

And even if they do they end up not being much of a challenge as I've learned, having a strong kingdom means your vassals rarely get beaten and when they do the relationship damage is negligible. Just go and save them, or if you suck at rescue missions just grab one or two of your vassals and siege the castle/town. If you're good at sieges you'll have minimal loses and even if you lose the castle/town right after due to not being able to afford losing some soldiers to form a garrison you'll still inflict massive damage to the defending forces and gain a big relationship bonus with the vassal(s) you freed.

With my "New Calradian Empire" (yes I'm original with names. :P In my defence it was called something like Kingdom of Zyomeria at first which is just some random word of I thought of) I declared war on the second biggest Kingdom (Nords), gathered all my vassals (or most of them, couldn't be arsed to check if I had all of them following me) and the first thing I did was wreck and imprison King Ragnar. And basically the war was won, because Ragnar being the power hungry idiot he is had control of almost all of his land's castles and towns which gave him a 390 something soldiers army (that got destroyed by my 400 and something army easily. Technically I had about close to 1K but some of my vassals were too far away from me and didn't join the battle. Not that it matters as I'm sure my 125 soldiers would have been enough, Swadian Knights + Sarranid Mamluks ftw. :P). His vassals were weaklings, they had 70-90 man armies with the exception of a random Ragnar recruited from the Sarranid Sultanate who had a bunch of cities too and a 290 size army. Doesn't matter because I didn't see the guy the entire campaign, and we conquered 5 castles and 3 towns.

After the 5th castle I was moving to the 6th and the Vaegirs, Rhodoks and Sarranids declared war because I was growing too strong and surprisingly I didn't have trouble handling them all at the same time. I wasn't able to conquer much from there, but the Nords truced out (poor guys) and I lost a city twice to the Sarranids (and recovered it twice immediately after, they had a weak army they simply captured the city because I was out of troops for the garrison). The Rhodoks decided to be super annoying and sieged Veluca and some castle near Uxhal about 4-5 times each, and I had to keep running south to break the damn sieges. They only calmed down after I caught, beat and captured the two annoying counts that kept trying to steal my land. Overall it was more frustrating than challenging, because it required me to be everywhere around the map. Vassals are idiots basically, and their battles are a game of numbers. If your 170 men vassal fights a 300 men King or rival kingdom vassal you can say goodbye to him, because it's just a game of numbers in the end. Sure he'll inflict heavy damage, but will ultimately lose because he's outnumbered. While a player led army is far more efficient. I remember beating King Graveth's 300ish men with 90 soldiers (no knights, so wasn't at a disadvantage) before I formed my own kingdom, simply by forming a great defensive line at the top of a hill and luring waves and waves of enemies to go die in my trap. Being the only mounted fighter I'd harrass the opponents and force them to follow me, while killing heaps of them and receiving minimal damage, keeping their focus on me allowing my ranged units to rain down arrows on them. When they'd finally got close enough for melee I'd just order a charge and have my Nord huscarls brutally smash what was left of them.

King Graveth of the Rhodoks is friggin annoying btw, also capable of fielding a massive army like Ragnar but he rarely ever leaves the safety of the montainous lands around Jelkala which makes him almost impossible to defeat with my army. It usually ends up being a 125 vs 500-600 fight because even if you beat all of his vassals they run back to Jelkala and swarm it like bees, and join the fight with tiny 30-50 men armies. Plus the mountainous land renders my cavalry ineffective as they lose the mobility bonus, and the damn Rhodok army is basically designed to stop cavalry with their incredibly OP spear Sargeants and crossbow Sharpshooters.

The Vaegirs were a joke. Captured their King first battle easily and he stayed jailed for the enterity of the war, they basically annoyed me only when they captured Ismirala castle once while I was too far away, but it was laughable easy to recover it.

After the Nord conquest I gained just a castle that belonged to Sarranids in Vaegir territory, which isn't too bad considering it had became a war of attrition against three factions at the same time and almost all my vassals had half of their original troops remaining, and three or so had their asses kicked by I guess either Sultam Hakim or King Graveth seeing as they were the only ones with armies big enough.

Basically just travelling around now with a small 30 men company defeating raiders and bandits to keep my renown high during peace time, getting my relations with my vassals high again (some of them dropped to only 20-30 points, while still decently high it's pretty bad taking into account most are 60+ and two or three are at 100 even) and waiting for them to go back to full power.

With all of the new land gained and new vassals recruited hopefully the last campaign will be the last. I could in theory take all the kingdoms at the same time and siege all of their castles and towns 1 by 1 without crippling the realms army, but I can't afford to garrison the conquered towns and castles which is my only problem. I fear if I get into war with everyone at the same time again I'll have countless mini armies running around recovering the land I gain because I can't defend it without losing the soldiers I need to keep on the offensive.

tl;dr Fun stuff, recommend this game to everyone. If you have a good imagination it's even better, if you don't it's not an issue - the game is still massively enjoyable.

Jesus Tapdancin' Christ Not A Messiah But A Very Naughty Boy, wall of text

Witcher 3 has been pretty cool so far. Damn if it isn't a tough game to run, though even on all lowest settings it still looks pretty great.

New Game of Thrones (Telltale Games) chapter released yesterday. Best one so far imo, lots of action and interesting storyline developments. Ended with a pretty big cliffhanger, going to suck having to wait so long for the next chapter.

So Fallout 4 has been confirmed.

Yeah, I'm having a nerdgasm atm. :D

War. War never changes...

I am probably one of the few that saw nothing special in that trailer. :P

Fallout: New Vegas was a TES: Oblivion tier game in terms if graphics, so what you see in the trailer is an hell of an improvement. It's the Skyrim of the Fallout Universe basically. :P

But just the fact it is a new Fallout game is enough to get our panties in a bunch.

But just the fact it is a new Fallout game is enough to get our panties in a bunch.

I was just about to say that.

Oh and they put in a dog. Bethesda knows it's consumers so well. ^_^

I was just about to say that.

Oh and they put in a dog. Bethesda knows it's consumers so well. ^_^

....up until they put up a "Dog armor" DLC for sale, sure. :P

That said, I am not entirely impressed with a trailer such as this. Most Bethesda reveal trailers tend to be boring, but that does not mean the games themselves are. :P

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines and Privacy Policy.