Sal's RuneScape Forum
Forrest Jump

PC Gaming Club

The gaming year of 2014  

20 members have voted

1. 1. What was the biggest disappointment of 2014?

• Assassin's Creed: Unity
    • Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
    • Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2
    • Destiny
    • Elder Scrolls: Online
    • The Sims 4
    • Thief
    • Sid Meyer's Civilization: Beyond Earth
    • Watch Dogs
    • Wildstar
  2. 2. What was the best game of 2014?

• Dark Souls 2
    • Divinity: Original Sin
    • Dragon Age: Inquisition
    • Far Cry 4
    • FIFA 2015
    • Heroes of Warcraft
    • Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor
    • SMITE
    • South Park: Stick of Truth
    • Wolfenstein: The New Order
  3. 3. What is the most anticipated game of 2015?

• Assassin's Creed: Victory
    • Batman: Arkham Knight
    • EVOLVE
    • Grand Theft Auto 5
    • Just Cause 3
    • Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain
    • Saints Row: Gat out of Hell
    • Star Wars: Battlefront
    • The Witcher 3
    • Tom Clancy's The Division

Anyone buy ARK: Survival Evolved? I bought it after watching a few videos and livestreams and I got to say it is a pretty fun game to play. The only downside i got to say is that early levels is crap and resource grinding can be a nice doggy! at times.

It looks absolutely awesome, and I saw a TON of sales during the Summer Sale, but didn't pick it up myself. Hopefully I'll get it in the upcoming month - what are your impressions a little over a week later now?

I just spent 3 hours building a decent size dino pen and i only got one layer of fences up. Thinking about cheaping out on the next layer or so. Also the taming timers are a nice doggy!

I dunno, the game still looks to me like a survival minecraft clone in a sea of minecraft survival clones. Is there anything particularly compelling about ARK that similar games don't have?

The thing that sets apart ARK and minecraft is the fact you can tame different dinosaurs/creatures and different creatures excel at gathering resources then others/using your hands. For instance, if i needed a lot of wood for some reason I can ride a mammoth and plow through a forest and gain a few stacks of wood in a matter of minutes. Also they keep adding different creatures almost weekly.

For 25 bucks the game is worth it and maybe if a bunch of people from sals buy it we could set up a server or something.

Anyone buy ARK: Survival Evolved? I bought it after watching a few videos and livestreams and I got to say it is a pretty fun game to play. The only downside i got to say is that early levels is crap and resource grinding can be a nice doggy! at times.

It looks absolutely awesome, and I saw a TON of sales during the Summer Sale, but didn't pick it up myself. Hopefully I'll get it in the upcoming month - what are your impressions a little over a week later now?

I just spent 3 hours building a decent size dino pen and i only got one layer of fences up. Thinking about cheaping out on the next layer or so. Also the taming timers are a nice doggy!

I dunno, the game still looks to me like a survival minecraft clone in a sea of minecraft survival clones. Is there anything particularly compelling about ARK that similar games don't have?

The thing that sets apart ARK and minecraft is the fact you can tame different dinosaurs/creatures and different creatures excel at gathering resources then others/using your hands. For instance, if i needed a lot of wood for some reason I can ride a mammoth and plow through a forest and gain a few stacks of wood in a matter of minutes. Also they keep adding different creatures almost weekly.

For 25 bucks the game is worth it and maybe if a bunch of people from sals buy it we could set up a server or something.

Right, but that's kinda just one thing that sets it apart from the pack. For the rest it literally sounds like Minecraft but non-blocky graphics. I don't see why this isn't just Rust-but-with-dinosaurs, and while it's a cool concept it's not exactly mindblowing. Not that that's an issue per se, there's just too many of these games out there that are garbage.

showed the gee eff the wolf among us and now she's hogging my computer :(

can't blame her however, the game is absolutely gorgeous in 5k and nigh unplayable without an xbox controller

I agree on The Wolf Among Us being fantastic, but playing the game with a mouse and keyboard worked exceptionally well. I would not call it unplayable, unless high definition wonks it up. :P

can't blame her however, the game is absolutely gorgeous in 5k and nigh unplayable without an xbox controller

I agree on The Wolf Among Us being fantastic, but playing the game with a mouse and keyboard worked exceptionally well. I would not call it unplayable, unless high definition wonks it up. :P

anh it's the action scenes which suddenly refer to a letter on your keyboard you never used before for that game

and the wrong letter at that thanks to querty azerty fiddlesticks

anh it's the action scenes which suddenly refer to a letter on your keyboard you never used before for that game

and the wrong letter at that thanks to querty azerty fiddlesticks

Not Telltale's fault if you use inferior keyboards.

Also.

DTD1bAF.jpg

REMOVE KEBAB REMOVE KEBAB

That... is an overwhelming show of force. :blink:

That... is an overwhelming show of force. :blink:

Two fifths of that was Spain, biding its time happily in Iberia; the rest was either Portugal dotted here and there and routinely wiped out by Ottoman doomstacks and/or sieging Tunisian territory, Austria and allies trying desperately to avoid any decisive confrontations, and me luring enemies towards the Urals, because Russia stronk, but winter more stronk. It ended in a white peace and a mightily miffed Dani. Then of course I ally Persia in a Great Game perspective, and they decide to pick a fight with an Ottoman ally. FUN

I'm super excited about the Witcher 3 new game+ DLC coming out. Definitely okay with a reason to play through it again.

Finally decided to get Cities: Skylines (legit from Steam cause Paradox et al deserve it).

I would call it a rip-off of Sim City if it wasn't so damned good. It's everything the new Sim City should have been and more. It gives you so much freedom in creating the city of your dreams from generous make sizes to an intelligent A.I and easy to use road construction. Yes, it doesn't have the disasters, quests and regions of the Sim City game but screw it. Cities: Skylines is the best city-builder game out there and totally worth my $26.

I recommend folks to get it. I was fortunate enough to get the deluxe edition 33% off. ^_^

Edited by Phoenix Rider

Finally decided to get Cities: Skylines (legit from Steam cause Paradox et al deserve it).

I would call it a rip-off of Sim City if it wasn't so damned good. It's everything the new Sim City should have been and more. It gives you so much freedom in creating the city of your dreams from generous make sizes to an intelligent A.I and easy to use road construction. Yes, it doesn't have the disasters, quests and regions of the Sim City game but screw it. Cities: Skylines is the best city-builder game out there and totally worth my $26.

I recommend folks to get it. I was fortunate enough to get the deluxe edition 33% off. ^_^

Absolutely agree. Best city builder out there.

You can see the Portuguese doing work in that screenshot already. As per usual the fate of the world falls on the shoulders of the Lusitanians.

Another crazy league war:

MpyGpz2.jpg

Yep - Kebab fighting for the Catholic League and the Papal States + Spanish Inquisition fighting for the Protestant League.

Looks a bit uneven but England managed to grab a lot of land in France. The Baguette decided to go Napoleon mode at the beginning to the game and conquered too much land from Burgundy creating an anti-French coalition of Doom who ripped them into pieces. From there on they kept getting bullied by all small countries around until finally said countries got at war against eachother and allowed France to recover her strength. And then the usual, France never forgets and never forgives - they smashed and ate Provence, Hainaut and Brittany, but were still left weakened due to the land lost to the English/British. They're weaker than Spain basically, and can't even get close to competing with the UK and their allies.

The Ottomans are the usual kickass monster, largest army by far and capable of wrecking everything. Hard to siege their lands because Fortresses, Fortresses everywhere.

Anyway we lost, and really bad because good old Spain decided to declare war on Aragon to get some stupid lame province, and I got dragged into the war against Aragon and their allies Austria. To make it better Austria was already involved in a war against The Ottomans because the Ottoman allies Crimea declared war on Austria's allies Lithuania.

Brandenburg being the smartasses they are used that opportunity to declare war and Austria got smoked. The UK being their usual dumb selves did a horrible job landing their 80K troops, and Scandinavia didn't join the war I have no clue why.

I was only able to join via enforcing peace option, but my relations with Austria were awful so it took forever to get to 100+ relations + the time it took stupid Spain to make peace despite having 80% warscore which was about 5 times what they needed to annex the stupid province they wanted.

When I entered the war I basically destroy all the Protestant remaining ships (England was doing a pretty good job already, but they rarely entered the Mediterranean so I had to deal with a considerably sized Venetian fleet still. Basically didn't get to fight any land battles because at that point the Catholic armies were no more, and I wasn't going to engange the entire Protestant army with only my 30K soldiers (had about 10K in India). Spain didn't join the war so France & the rest had no means to invade me, and even if they could it'd take them years and years to siege all my T3 fortresses not to mention I could just move my armies to northern Morocco (I own most of it, including provinces that in the above screenshot are still Moroccan) and suffer no losses.

Well anyway Austria had no choice but surrender after a while, Protestantism became the Holy Roman religion and Austria converted right after lol.

I recall playing as Spain in EUIV and getting bogged down in a religious war in the Low Countries. I saw the blue of Protestantism/Reformed spreading and was like ''HELL NO'. Fun times. Totally bankrupted me but it was so worth it. ^_^

Edited by Phoenix Rider

I recall playing as Spain in EUIV and getting bogged down in a religious war in the Low Countries. I saw the blue of Protestantism/Reformed spreading and was like ''HELL NO'. Fun times. Totally bankrupted me but it was so worth it. ^_^

Bankruptcy for [the correct flavour of] Jesus!

I'm playing a multiplayer match with Whiskas right now as Austria. Keeping the entirety of Europe (more or less) Catholic is so much easier as the emperor after the league war (or in my case, no league war, even easier)

Protestantism became the Holy Roman religion and Austria converted right after lol
"Welp, I guess Martin Luther wasn't THAT bad"

In my Russia game there's been a rather massive shift around 1740 - France went to war with Spain while they were at war with Austria, and ripped them in two (released Aragon, Navarre, Galicia, Morocco, Spanish Louisiana independent). Therefore Spain cannot be relied upon enough in the North African coast to flank the Ottomans, and that led to a realignment of alliances.

My defensive arrangement consisted of alliances with Prussia, Austria and Sweden in an anti-Poland optic, and with Persia to defend the central Asian border against Uzbek/Bukhara and Afghanistan.

Persia had a lot of cross-claims with Marehan (Ottoman ally), so every friction could have ignited an unwanted war with the Ottomans. Having fed Kazan with a lot of provinces from Bukhara and Nogai, I turned them into a march so the role of defender of central Asia fell to them, and broke the alliance with Persia, which allied Tunis (!) and proceeded to attack Marehan. Very smart. They lost about twelve provinces. *applause*

The Russia-Ming border has Mongolia (march) acting as a buffer state (it's basically a strip of land, one province wide, spanning from Karakorum to the sea of Okhotsk), and so far it's working well.

I had to get reasonable safety for the Western border, because it was guaranteed that either Poland or Ottomans would jump me as soon as I was embroiled in a war with the other. Broke off the alliances with Prussia and Austria (which was losing against the Ottomans badly), and buttered up Poland enough to ally them (yeah, after a 300 years' rivalry. Go figure :P). After that, buttered up Austria again, and allied them again. This way, the only points of friction are two provinces in Ukraine next to kebab, and Genoa taking up the area of modern-day Ukraine, which was promptly attacked and brought down in size a bit.

Edited by Arianna

In my quest to attain perfect games as often as possible, I found a big obstacle in Poker Night at the Inventory's request for a straight flush. I got all 1 achievements in 3 hours, took another 26 hours to find straight flush..

At least it's over! Now waiting for IGTM DLC to come on sale so I can watch that, and find a new game to perfect.

Shadowrun Returns: Hong Kong is out today

the follow up (standalone) of last years Shadowrun Returns Dragonfall which is one of the best RPG's I ever played, even if it's only 12 hours of gameplay

I backed the game already a few months ago on kickstarter since I liked the previous iteration so much (and the price is very low anyway)

but I dunno if I'll try it this evening already since I got kinda sucked into XCOM enemy unknown/within :P

edit: Damn it looks really nice!

11011629_10152963704021971_4094033019984239883_o.jpg

Edited by Egghebrecht

Currently playing Rogue Legacy.

I bought it a while ago and put in about 6 hours and didn't progress past the first boss. In the past 2 days I've managed to get lot farther. Before I beat the final boss, though, I'm going to look for all BPs and Runes just to get that achievement out of the way because I don't know if they carry over into NG+ or not.

Really, really fun game, I'm enjoying it immensely.

It is indeed quite fun as a rogue-like game. I played it a lot, but I hit a snag during Summer and I guess I never returned to it. I remember killing the Forest Boss and was doing fairly well in the upper areas, but it seems I never got around to keep playing it.

....which seems to be related to me recently returning to WoW. :P

the follow up (standalone) of last years Shadowrun Returns Dragonfall which is one of the best RPG's I ever played, even if it's only 12 hours of gameplay

I backed the game already a few months ago on kickstarter since I liked the previous iteration so much (and the price is very low anyway)

but I dunno if I'll try it this evening already since I got kinda sucked into XCOM enemy unknown/within :P

Is it bad that I thought "Syndicate" as soon as I saw the image?

Is it bad that I thought "Syndicate" as soon as I saw the image?

nah it's clearly the same style albeit with modern standard of graphic detail

don't think syndicate would offer real 5k graphics :P

don't think syndicate would offer real 5k graphics
Everything I played sufficiently long ago is über-HD in my memory

Also, I tried playing Salt (early access) for a while, and SO FRIGGIN'SERENE DAMNIT

No, seriously, you can just sail between the islands and not give a single fudge, or you can go fight a few pirates and stuff, then out of nowhere SPIDER and it's time to nope the shizzle out of that island

Even in early access it's Dani-approved 8/10

Also, I tried playing Salt (early access) for a while, and SO FRIGGIN'SERENE DAMNIT

No, seriously, you can just sail between the islands and not give a single fudge, or you can go fight a few pirates and stuff, then out of nowhere SPIDER and it's time to nope the shizzle out of that island

looked it up on steam but the graphics are hurting my eyes :(

brr

speaking of early access

http://store.steampowered.com/app/300380/

this game owns but I wonder when it will finally get officially finished so I have some more levels to play :P

don't think syndicate would offer real 5k graphics
Everything I played sufficiently long ago is über-HD in my memory

just checked a bit of it out, actually looks really cool. Downloading the demo now! Thanks for the find

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines and Privacy Policy.