Sal's RuneScape Forum
Forrest Jump

PC Gaming Club

The gaming year of 2014  

20 members have voted

1. 1. What was the biggest disappointment of 2014?

• Assassin's Creed: Unity
    • Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
    • Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2
    • Destiny
    • Elder Scrolls: Online
    • The Sims 4
    • Thief
    • Sid Meyer's Civilization: Beyond Earth
    • Watch Dogs
    • Wildstar
  2. 2. What was the best game of 2014?

• Dark Souls 2
    • Divinity: Original Sin
    • Dragon Age: Inquisition
    • Far Cry 4
    • FIFA 2015
    • Heroes of Warcraft
    • Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor
    • SMITE
    • South Park: Stick of Truth
    • Wolfenstein: The New Order
  3. 3. What is the most anticipated game of 2015?

• Assassin's Creed: Victory
    • Batman: Arkham Knight
    • EVOLVE
    • Grand Theft Auto 5
    • Just Cause 3
    • Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain
    • Saints Row: Gat out of Hell
    • Star Wars: Battlefront
    • The Witcher 3
    • Tom Clancy's The Division

Yeah the lengthy intro is the best part I saw so far

time to try it a bit more now

and figure out how to recruit new "helpers" since the first assassin I got already died the first time I used him since he couldn't hold him against 3 guards...

1: You get more Assassins by clearing the Assassin marks around the city. These are like... "Stop executions" and so on. Once you have cleared all in one sub-zone, you can go back to the Assassin's hideout in that zone to get the quest needed to gain a new follower and a new Assassin ability (Marksman, Assassinate, Distract, Decoy etc). You get 1 through the story (Stephane?), then 2 more in Boston. The other 3 comes from a second city you will visit during the Story.

Oh, and you upgrade them by sending them on missions. Left Bumper + X --> Send them on colony missions for loot and experience until they level up, getting progressively stronger.

If they "Die", they merely turn injured and unusable for missions or ingame for a short period (5 minutes), and then they recover and can be used again. Unlike old games, the recruits do not die in AC 3, they merely get injured.

I do not mind grindy games. Most games that are huge and expansive, I tend to try to 100%. I would have been done with AC 3 a long time ago if it was not for the fact that I always pick up every single collectible in those games. MGS V would thus be quite fun even with the grind aspect. As for card games.. yeah, I like that. Honestly though, I just want to know what the hell happens after the masterpiece that was Witcher 2.

Then MGS V is perfect for you, so long as you enjoy the fundamental third person stealth gameplay (well I mean, you could go all out balls to the wall assault but I figure you'd be the stealthy kind). Do note that the Witcher 3 is very a much a story on its own and I feel like it glosses over much of what happened in previous games (or at least the finer details) in some ways, but in others it handles it very well.

Yeah the lengthy intro is the best part I saw so far

time to try it a bit more now

and figure out how to recruit new "helpers" since the first assassin I got already died the first time I used him since he couldn't hold him against 3 guards...

1: You get more Assassins by clearing the Assassin marks around the city. These are like... "Stop executions" and so on. Once you have cleared all in one sub-zone, you can go back to the Assassin's hideout in that zone to get the quest needed to gain a new follower and a new Assassin ability (Marksman, Assassinate, Distract, Decoy etc). You get 1 through the story (Stephane?), then 2 more in Boston. The other 3 comes from a second city you will visit during the Story.

Oh, and you upgrade them by sending them on missions. Left Bumper + X --> Send them on colony missions for loot and experience until they level up, getting progressively stronger.

If they "Die", they merely turn injured and unusable for missions or ingame for a short period (5 minutes), and then they recover and can be used again. Unlike old games, the recruits do not die in AC 3, they merely get injured.

yeah I guess it is a mistranslation or just a stupid mistake that announces them as dead

6/7 recruit missions failed so far

each with at least 70% chance to achieve it

hurray for those odds :P

Then MGS V is perfect for you, so long as you enjoy the fundamental third person stealth gameplay (well I mean, you could go all out balls to the wall assault but I figure you'd be the stealthy kind). Do note that the Witcher 3 is very a much a story on its own and I feel like it glosses over much of what happened in previous games (or at least the finer details) in some ways, but in others it handles it very well.

Hmm, I should boot up Ground Zeroes and clear that first then. You also know me too well!

I would indeed play stealthily and just hoard up an immense arsenal of firepower and, if pressured, go out in blazing glory. Unless there is an achievement for being stealthy, then screw it, I am going sneaky. Actually, I assume there is still the same ratings as any MGS, so restrictions apply. That said, that is definately for a second or third playthrough.

It is between MGS V and Witcher 3 now. Black Flag is tempting, but it will have to wait. Hmmm... choices, choices.. :P

yeah I guess it is a mistranslation or just a stupid mistake that announces them as dead

6/7 recruit missions failed so far

each with at least 70% chance to achieve it

hurray for those odds :P

Yeah, in November I failed 3 WoW shipyard missions on 90%, 92% and 96% success rate in a row. Each failiure set me back 3-5 days, so I went insane due to it. >.<

Well, I finished the main storyline of Assassin's Creed 3 about a week ago. Now going through the Tyranny of King Washington DLCs. It is surprisingly entertaining, if only that the plot is simple and contrafactual (so it is hard to mess it up), and you get some fun new gadgets to play around with.

@@Arianna Alpha Centauri? What brought that on? (Not that there are no good reasons to play Alpha Centauri, because there are but... why Alpha Centauri? :xd:

why Alpha Centauri
Because it's a game that, on the higher level settings, can still kick the ass of 90% of today's 4X games all the way to 1999 and beyond. (Also nostalgia and the extra-uber-cool unit builder). I mean, the factions, especially the original ones (the alien ones are basically a ticket to victory if the other alien one is absent) are still very well-balanced and, despite that, you can play them however you like, playing according to their strengths or going against the grain to eliminate some weaknesses (the latter approach is sometimes misguided, like trying a research-intensive game with Miriam), it's up to you. The level of detail is also astounding, and no two games are alike (unless you're a boring person and just sit on your butt as Zakharov and proceed to devastate everyone else through superior tech, blah)

My notification sound on the phone is indigenous lifeforms!, by the way

why Alpha Centauri
Because it's a game that, on the higher level settings, can still kick the ass of 90% of today's 4X games all the way to 1999 and beyond. (Also nostalgia and the extra-uber-cool unit builder). I mean, the factions, especially the original ones (the alien ones are basically a ticket to victory if the other alien one is absent) are still very well-balanced and, despite that, you can play them however you like, playing according to their strengths or going against the grain to eliminate some weaknesses (the latter approach is sometimes misguided, like trying a research-intensive game with Miriam), it's up to you. The level of detail is also astounding, and no two games are alike (unless you're a boring person and just sit on your butt as Zakharov and proceed to devastate everyone else through superior tech, blah)

My notification sound on the phone is indigenous lifeforms!, by the way

considering the mess they made out of it's spiritual successor...

bah

thinking about that game instantly changes my mood and not for the better...

Metal Gear Solid V.

Get to the first open roam mission in Afghanistan, sneaking around Soviet soldiers. I spend a very, very long time sneaking around, getting comfortable with the controls and falling in love with the game. I decide to take it very slow and meticulous due to the lack of a solitron radar, and really enjoying the stealth aspect. I have been seen by none, and no one has been killed. In fact, there had been absolutely no evidence whatsoever of my presence in the region.

I sneak in to a base where I have to free a prisoner, crawling my way through bushes, dodging guards and coming in at an entrypoint that I realise was not ideal, but the way behind me is difficult to backtrack through due to a patrol settling in.

There is one guard between me and the building I have to get through. The other sentries are in perfect positions for me to sneak past, it is just this one guy. He is awkwardly positioned in a bit of an alleyway where there is no cover in which I can take a decent shot with my tranquilizing pistol. I take out an empty magazine, because I heard that they can be tossed to cause a sound, so I decide to test it out. I start to do the entire aim-a-throw motion behind the wall that separated me and Mr. Sentry, I get used to the motion and somehow I bump into a bloody ceramic jar which shatters. Loudly.

Now, I do not speak Russian, but I am sure the surprised "HUH?" followed by a Russian phrase that I am sure is "In Soviet Afghanistan, jar breaks YOU!". Trapped, with no escape, I get noticed.

What follows is a 5 minute long firefight involving grenades, human shields and a kill count and strategy worthy of Rambo III. Sometimes, you need to see the world burn, and damn it... I love the game already, but AARRRRRGHHH. :xd:

ZOMG

http://www.gog.com/n...acle_remastered

ca66c5ab08a8289b8c8e3797abf98fecdf1178f66d0950cc27707b942b2b161a.jpg

What possible harm can one crazy, mutant tentacle do?

Day of the Tentacle, the grand return of the grandest adventure of all, is available for pre-order now, only on GOG.com with a 10% discount for the first two weeks!

A crazy mutant tentacle is on the loose, plotting to take over the world. How you ask? That's not important right now! We need to be thinking about the how, just how are we going to fix this? Super simply, by going back to yesterday!

Alongside Grim Fandango, Monkey Island, Sam & Max, and Full Throttle, Day of the Tentacle sits without question among the legendary golden-era adventures. Now, straight from the early '90s, Day of the Tentacle arrives in our dystopian future of 2016 — back for a blast from the past for those who missed it, and a shot of nostalgia for those who just miss it.

Day of the Tentacle Remastered is all the adventure you may remember with an optional layer of sweet improvements on top. You can mix and match between the unmistakably 1990s pixely art and a fresh high-res coat of paint, remastered audio, and an all new interface. There are extra goodies in the Remastered release as well, including in-game developer commentary and a fully playable version of the original Maniac Mansion. Your pre-order also comes with three exclusive Day of the Tentacle wallpapers, available right away to fuel your anticipation.

But don't take our word for it. Take it from the guy behind it all:

Edited by Egghebrecht

ZOMG

http://www.gog.com/n...acle_remastered

ca66c5ab08a8289b8c8e3797abf98fecdf1178f66d0950cc27707b942b2b161a.jpg

What possible harm can one crazy, mutant tentacle do?

Day of the Tentacle, the grand return of the grandest adventure of all, is available for pre-order now, only on GOG.com with a 10% discount for the first two weeks!

A crazy mutant tentacle is on the loose, plotting to take over the world. How you ask? That's not important right now! We need to be thinking about the how, just how are we going to fix this? Super simply, by going back to yesterday!

Alongside Grim Fandango, Monkey Island, Sam & Max, and Full Throttle, Day of the Tentacle sits without question among the legendary golden-era adventures. Now, straight from the early '90s, Day of the Tentacle arrives in our dystopian future of 2016 — back for a blast from the past for those who missed it, and a shot of nostalgia for those who just miss it.

Day of the Tentacle Remastered is all the adventure you may remember with an optional layer of sweet improvements on top. You can mix and match between the unmistakably 1990s pixely art and a fresh high-res coat of paint, remastered audio, and an all new interface. There are extra goodies in the Remastered release as well, including in-game developer commentary and a fully playable version of the original Maniac Mansion. Your pre-order also comes with three exclusive Day of the Tentacle wallpapers, available right away to fuel your anticipation.

But don't take our word for it. Take it from the guy behind it all:

I HAVE NO BLOOD IN ANY VITAL ORGAN ANY MORE

Gave up on assassins creed 3 and started playing south park the stick of truth

it's a sad thing when a satire on rpg's is actually one of the best rpg's I ever played...

now onto the banner saga 2

So I discovered settlements in Fallout 4.

My game has become, in a nutshell, "fudge the wasteland, build ALL the things". I'm playing a post-apocalyptic The Sims, more or less

So I discovered settlements in Fallout 4.

My game has become, in a nutshell, "fudge the wasteland, build ALL the things". I'm playing a post-apocalyptic The Sims, more or less

I've not played with mods yet but the lack of any good tools to do stuff like assigning people to do things made me give up on that right quick.

RWsINUZ.jpg

'nuf said

Gods, indeed. It's like Gabe Newell himself appeared Fatima style and ordered me to redeem my past piracy sins by buying games on Steam. :(

....that is part of the reason why I buy games, plus I know they are good and I could want to play them again. :P

That said.....

http://store.steampo...eck/app/359870/

Yesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyessssss.

bought a PS2 to play FFX & FFX-2 then it was released on ps4 so i bought it on that as well, now it's released on steam i'm thinking of buying it. when does the summer sale start usually anyway?

If it follows the same outline as last year, it should start in just under a month. It started on the 11th of June, so it would be worth waiting. I need to pick up VI, IX and X/X-2 all at once, so I might as well wait. :P

When the Steam FF releases are just top quality and super enjoyable to play

GjEDDer.png

4g25pyZ.png

Haven't completed any yet (on Steam), so much fun to be had!

What I am mostly excited about is that VI, IX and X are all on Steam now as of the last 12 months, and they are all on my top 5. :D

Still haven't played any Final Fantasy. Any game that would be recommended as a jump in point? Not convinced they're games for me but I'd like to give them a go.

Got Stellaris, is pretty cool. Paradox needs to make some quality of life changes though.

bought a PS2 to play FFX & FFX-2 then it was released on ps4 so i bought it on that as well, now it's released on steam i'm thinking of buying it. when does the summer sale start usually anyway?

An update on this. It is rumored to be on the 23rd of June.

Still haven't played any Final Fantasy. Any game that would be recommended as a jump in point? Not convinced they're games for me but I'd like to give them a go.

Forgive me for my approach, but deciding the best game in the series is what makes the Final Fantasy fanbase so utterly divided. Final Fantasy fans get rabid in defence of their favourite game. That said, that is because there are a lot of gems out there.

I will stick to the ones I would suggest to you on Steam. There are a few other games that has not been ported yet, but the Steam versions are great. Anyway, here is a selection of games that I think might fit you, with a description to follow. I will do it in Chronological order.

Final Fantasy VI: This was the last game on the pre-Playstation consoles, which means it is a 2D RPG with pixel graphics in 8-bit. The setting takes place in a world that is part magic, part steampunk, part classic high-fantasy. It has a lot of content to explore, and a pretty good storyline, with quite a lot of exploration and secrets to find when the world opens up to you (standard Final Fantasy concept). It has a set of various protagonists and you do not follow a single protagonist through-out the story, making party compositions and such fairly much up to the player.

Final Fantasy VII: First game on Playstation. Has dated visuals, a fantastic story, and massive plethora of content to go through. If you can stomach the 1997 graphics and gameplay (almost identical to FF VI), this is a great one. Story is centred around a singular protagonist named Cloud Strife, and also the characters he encounters. The story takes place in a part industrial world, part futuristic world, with hints of magic.

Final Fantasy IX: Last game on Playstation: It is the second-last re-released game on Steam, with updated and far better visuals than its Playstation 1 predecessor. The game system is very similar to VI and VII, but its fantastic story is set in a purely medieval world touched by magic. You will follow the protagonist Zidane Tribal, a thief starting the game trying to kidnap the princess of a kingdom, disguised as an actor. The game is centred around him.

Final Fantasy X: This is the latest re-release that was ported to Steam, and also the first Final Fantasy game on the Playstation 2. Visually it looks good, and its story is easily on par with the other 3. It has a massive amount of content, but it is a bit more linear than the other three games since you follow Lady Yuna, a summoner on a pilgrimage to vanquish the great evil that threatens the world. The game is centred around her travel, but told through the point of view of one of her travel members; Tidus. The place is part fantasy, part industrial, part magical.

All of these are great entries and totally unrelated to each other, so you can start with any of these without an issue. The story is great in all, they are massive games with a ton of content and secrets to find.

I think Final Fantasy IX and X might be the easier ones to like, simply because VI can feel a bit retro, and Final Fantasy VII is more of a modernisation of VI's retro concepts with modern 3D graphics (back then) . That is not to say that VI and VII are bad games, they are in fact easily on par with (and perhaps arguably better than) IX and X.

I would be hard pressed to rank these 4, because these are the 4 best ones released on Steam that I know of. There are some other outstanding FF games on Steam apart from these, but these are the 4 I think you might like, and I find to be the best. :P

Edited by Yuanrang

Got Stellaris, is pretty cool. Paradox needs to make some quality of life changes though.

HOW DARE YOU PARADOX IS PERFECT THEY ARE NEVER WRONG

( :P )

An update on this. It is rumored to be on the 23rd of June.

Forgive me for my approach, but deciding the best game in the series is what makes the Final Fantasy fanbase so utterly divided. Final Fantasy fans get rabid in defence of their favourite game. That said, that is because there are a lot of gems out there.

I will stick to the ones I would suggest to you on Steam. There are a few other games that has not been ported yet, but the Steam versions are great. Anyway, here is a selection of games that I think might fit you, with a description to follow. I will do it in Chronological order.

Final Fantasy VI: This was the last game on the pre-Playstation consoles, which means it is a 2D RPG with pixel graphics in 8-bit. The setting takes place in a world that is part magic, part steampunk, part classic high-fantasy. It has a lot of content to explore, and a pretty good storyline, with quite a lot of exploration and secrets to find when the world opens up to you (standard Final Fantasy concept). It has a set of various protagonists and you do not follow a single protagonist through-out the story, making party compositions and such fairly much up to the player.

Final Fantasy VII: First game on Playstation. Has dated visuals, a fantastic story, and massive plethora of content to go through. If you can stomach the 1997 graphics and gameplay (almost identical to FF VI), this is a great one. Story is centred around a singular protagonist named Cloud Strife, and also the characters he encounters. The story takes place in a part industrial world, part futuristic world, with hints of magic.

Final Fantasy IX: Last game on Playstation: It is the second-last re-released game on Steam, with updated and far better visuals than its Playstation 1 predecessor. The game system is very similar to VI and VII, but its fantastic story is set in a purely medieval world touched by magic. You will follow the protagonist Zidane Tribal, a thief starting the game trying to kidnap the princess of a kingdom, disguised as an actor. The game is centred around him.

Final Fantasy X: This is the latest re-release that was ported to Steam, and also the first Final Fantasy game on the Playstation 2. Visually it looks good, and its story is easily on par with the other 3. It has a massive amount of content, but it is a bit more linear than the other three games since you follow Lady Yuna, a summoner on a pilgrimage to vanquish the great evil that threatens the world. The game is centred around her travel, but told through the point of view of one of her travel members; Tidus. The place is part fantasy, part industrial, part magical.

All of these are great entries and totally unrelated to each other, so you can start with any of these without an issue. The story is great in all, they are massive games with a ton of content and secrets to find.

I think Final Fantasy IX and X might be the easier ones to like, simply because VI can feel a bit retro, and Final Fantasy VII is more of a modernisation of VI's retro concepts with modern 3D graphics (back then) . That is not to say that VI and VII are bad games, they are in fact easily on par with (and perhaps arguably better than) IX and X.

I would be hard pressed to rank these 4, because these are the 4 best ones released on Steam that I know of. There are some other outstanding FF games on Steam apart from these, but these are the 4 I think you might like, and I find to be the best. :P

Thanks, now I'd know where to start if I ever want to try this.

HOW DARE YOU PARADOX IS PERFECT THEY ARE NEVER WRONG

( :P )

Nooooooooo, I have failed our Paradox overlords. The only honorable thing at this point I can do is commit sudoku :(

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines and Privacy Policy.