Sal's RuneScape Forum
Forrest Jump

PC Gaming Club

The gaming year of 2014  

20 members have voted

1. 1. What was the biggest disappointment of 2014?

• Assassin's Creed: Unity
    • Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
    • Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2
    • Destiny
    • Elder Scrolls: Online
    • The Sims 4
    • Thief
    • Sid Meyer's Civilization: Beyond Earth
    • Watch Dogs
    • Wildstar
  2. 2. What was the best game of 2014?

• Dark Souls 2
    • Divinity: Original Sin
    • Dragon Age: Inquisition
    • Far Cry 4
    • FIFA 2015
    • Heroes of Warcraft
    • Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor
    • SMITE
    • South Park: Stick of Truth
    • Wolfenstein: The New Order
  3. 3. What is the most anticipated game of 2015?

• Assassin's Creed: Victory
    • Batman: Arkham Knight
    • EVOLVE
    • Grand Theft Auto 5
    • Just Cause 3
    • Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain
    • Saints Row: Gat out of Hell
    • Star Wars: Battlefront
    • The Witcher 3
    • Tom Clancy's The Division

Tribes: Ascend officially launched today.

Time to get the conversation going again. (Yes I'm rising from the grave along with this thread). How is Tribes? I've never played the original, but it seems like it's really hard to get into.

I'm going to be getting a new laptop soon for college. Anyone have a suggestion for a gaming one? I want atleast a 1.5gb graphics card.

MSI makes some good gaming laptops, if you have a budget that would help

I'm looking to spend arround $1500.

Time to get the conversation going again. (Yes I'm rising from the grave along with this thread). How is Tribes? I've never played the original, but it seems like it's really hard to get into.

I'm going to be getting a new laptop soon for college. Anyone have a suggestion for a gaming one? I want atleast a 1.5gb graphics card.

Tribes is amazing. It's free to play, though I've dropped 20 bucks for some goodies. Have like 45 hours logged.

Such a fun game, easy to get into and high replayability.

I might give it a try this week if I'm not too busy. It sounds really good, but I feel like I'm going to get wrecked for the first ten hours or so.

Tribes is amazing. It's free to play, though I've dropped 20 bucks for some goodies. Have like 45 hours logged.

I might give it a try this week if I'm not too busy. It sounds really good, but I feel like I'm going to get wrecked for the first ten hours or so.

Not really. The matchmaking puts pretty much all the people under level 6 together, so you won't get completely annihilated.

Edited by Not Dead Yet

Not really. The matchmaking puts pretty much all the people under level 6 together, so you won't get completely annihilated.

I'll have to try it then. It looks a lot like Quake or UT.

Yup similar games. Starsiege: Tribes came out in 98 and since it's part of the tribes series it really has an "old school" shooter vibe to it.

Really refreshing from all the "realistic" shooters these days.

Yup similar games. Starsiege: Tribes came out in 98 and since it's part of the tribes series it really has an "old school" shooter vibe to it.

Really refreshing from all the "realistic" shooters these days.

Number 1 rule of tribles: FAST FAST GO FAST FJSLFSFJLS;

true story

Bought Dragon Age 2. While the first one was definitely way better, all the hate was a little much. Though I'm only 12 hours in so maybe things get dragged out.

Tribes is annoying me a lot lately. You'd think at the higher ranks people would stop llamaing the flag. It seems impossible to play pathfinder at the moment and aid your team without going chaser. I get set up for a back to front, going around 220-240 sanics, and everytime some medium going about 100 grabs the flag going side to side and dies about half way back.

Alternatively non of your team can chase so when you do get the flag you've gotta go chaser aswell. Grr

Oh well, I haven't really played since the Pillage update anyway. I hear the plasma wotsit is OP. Might have to get it.

Tribes is annoying me a lot lately. You'd think at the higher ranks people would stop llamaing the flag. It seems impossible to play pathfinder at the moment and aid your team without going chaser. I get set up for a back to front, going around 220-240 sanics, and everytime some medium going about 100 grabs the flag going side to side and dies about half way back.

Alternatively non of your team can chase so when you do get the flag you've gotta go chaser aswell. Grr

Oh well, I haven't really played since the Pillage update anyway. I hear the plasma wotsit is OP. Might have to get it.

The pick up games I help out with have both NA and Eu servers and after playing them I can't even go back to public matches.

They're a LOT more fun.

Bought Dragon Age 2. While the first one was definitely way better, all the hate was a little much. Though I'm only 12 hours in so maybe things get dragged out.

As you progress, you'll become frustrated with the cloned areas and the way they handled the story in such a poor way. Add that in with a disappointing ending and there is a lot of DA2 hate.

That said, DA2 had some great ideas and I liked the combat mechanics more than in Origins, but overall it was a major let-down for me personally. Perhaps you will think otherwise. Either way, it is worth a playthrough, but anything beyond that.... I am not so sure. :P

i can attest to this haha

As you progress, you'll become frustrated with the cloned areas and the way they handled the story in such a poor way. Add that in with a disappointing ending and there is a lot of DA2 hate.

That said, DA2 had some great ideas and I liked the combat mechanics more than in Origins, but overall it was a major let-down for me personally. Perhaps you will think otherwise. Either way, it is worth a playthrough, but anything beyond that.... I am not so sure. :P

Yeah I have noticed I've run through a few dungeons three times each. Seems really lazy when you think of the scope of the first. I like having the Mass Effect conversation wheel, but they ruined what made Dragon Age so great to me. In two they made the distinction between good and bad decisions. Everything in the first felt like it had shades of gray and it was the first time a game let me choose without some penalty for not being a perfect hero. There weren't any "right" choices like there are in the second.

I'm also getting annoyed with the reinforcement mechanic of EVERY single battle. It seems like every encounter another wave of enemies sweeps in just as you kill the first. Seems like they're just trying to draw things out. I still prefer the combat in the first game, though I can totally see why people would like the second more. The first felt slow and methodical like a tactical game while this feels more like an action rpg. It's quite different for looking so similar.

The combat in DA2 is still tactical, but I just feel it is more fluid as well as more logical. The wide sweeping strikes actually made the warrior a useful AOE class because even the smallest basic attack does a general sweep in DA2, whereas in DA:O, the Warrior was horribly underpowered compared to a the AOE/control/support of a Mage or the morbid damage output of archer rogues or backstab rogues.

But yes, DA:O just had more depth all around. The story is not really coherrent in DA2 either, because nothing you do really has any form of purpose whatsoever. The only resemblence at a plot that could've been good is in Act 2, but that plot just end in act 2. Act 3 on the other hand is utterly random and, even with a path to choose, horribly done. Act 1 on the other hand is.... well.... pointless?

I don't know, it's not just the dialogue that removed a lot of depth, but I just don't feel free in any sense in DA2. It was just a string of repeating disappointments, one after another. :/

Dumb question: Is Civilization V good? Plan on getting it after I fix my computer.

Dumb question: Is Civilization V good? Plan on getting it after I fix my computer.

everyone in my family likes and its fun to play so yes

in other news ending to Diablo is very good :)

EDIT: and Tyrael is a mother fudging badass

Edited by _max

Pre ordered torchlight 2. The first one is pretty fun, put about 14 hours into it and the end boss is a complete nice doggy! seeing as I don't have any potions left or anything and I'm a mage I can't tank...

Still a lot of fun.

Pre ordered torchlight 2. The first one is pretty fun, put about 14 hours into it and the end boss is a complete nice doggy! seeing as I don't have any potions left or anything and I'm a mage I can't tank...

Still a lot of fun.

I am doing a second re-run of Torchlight myself and I quite frankly enjoy it even more than the first run-through, mostly because the mods can tweak a lot of things to make it more diversive.

That said, Ordrak has a god awful amount of HP on that first playthrough, or it is high durability with the fact that he sacrifice a number of minion spawns and then gets healed.

The way I did it on my first character (an Alchemist) was to basically ignore Ordrak, run around a while and just looting the potions that the sacrificed dragonkin drop (and at the same time, AOEing down the dragonkin for more). When I had a healthy supply, I wasted my money until I had only a few thousands left, went to Ordrak and proceeded a 20 minute long battle of run, run, nukenukenukenukenuke, run, run, run, nukenukenuke, repeat until either you or he dies. If you die, choose the "restart at this level" option so he does not heal up, and go back to nuking him and avoiding. If you have 40ish health and mana potions (as an Alchemist, anyway), you should be fine. I was not very geared at all, but I did quaff a respec potion to get a better build for him.

That said, it is a very enjoyable game for being that small a project.

Still a lot of fun.

I am doing a second re-run of Torchlight myself and I quite frankly enjoy it even more than the first run-through, mostly because the mods can tweak a lot of things to make it more diversive.

That said, Ordrak has a god awful amount of HP on that first playthrough, or it is high durability with the fact that he sacrifice a number of minion spawns and then gets healed.

The way I did it on my first character (an Alchemist) was to basically ignore Ordrak, run around a while and just looting the potions that the sacrificed dragonkin drop (and at the same time, AOEing down the dragonkin for more). When I had a healthy supply, I wasted my money until I had only a few thousands left, went to Ordrak and proceeded a 20 minute long battle of run, run, nukenukenukenukenuke, run, run, run, nukenukenuke, repeat until either you or he dies. If you die, choose the "restart at this level" option so he does not heal up, and go back to nuking him and avoiding. If you have 40ish health and mana potions (as an Alchemist, anyway), you should be fine. I was not very geared at all, but I did quaff a respec potion to get a better build for him.

That said, it is a very enjoyable game for being that small a project.

I think my problem is I'm playing on Hard so I'm just not prepared for it. I may move it down to normal if I can.

I didn't know there were mods, I'll check them out.

Actually, Ordrak's health will still be insane even on lower difficulties. It is just an insanely long fight, or I assume it is. I started the first character on Hard, and after I gave my second character most of the Unique (Orange) and Set (Purple) items for my second character's class, I have not had much of a trouble with Very Hard either (since if anything, that mode really encourage you to not get hit since it is easy to get killed quite fast, and some monsters like the Zealot's (the mage casting dragonoid humans right before Ordrak) definately 1-shot you if you do not move the hell away).

There are mods from anything to weapon tweaks to player made classes, extra skills, extra vendors, changed mechanics, buffed/tweakable stats, extre personal storage chests, a respec potion mod and so on and so on. It adds more life to it, that is for sure, but some mods just make the game boring though so be careful. :P

For those like like MOBA games like Dota and LoL, try Super Monday Night Combat on Steam. Its like a mix of Dota and and TF2. But it takes the cosmetic side of TF2 and takes it beyond reason sometimes.

Large picture

23jseh.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines and Privacy Policy.