Sal's RuneScape Forum

PC Gaming Club

Forrest Jump

The gaming year of 2014  

20 members have voted

1. 1. What was the biggest disappointment of 2014?

• Assassin's Creed: Unity
    • Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
    • Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2
    • Destiny
    • Elder Scrolls: Online
    • The Sims 4
    • Thief
    • Sid Meyer's Civilization: Beyond Earth
    • Watch Dogs
    • Wildstar
  2. 2. What was the best game of 2014?

• Dark Souls 2
    • Divinity: Original Sin
    • Dragon Age: Inquisition
    • Far Cry 4
    • FIFA 2015
    • Heroes of Warcraft
    • Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor
    • SMITE
    • South Park: Stick of Truth
    • Wolfenstein: The New Order
  3. 3. What is the most anticipated game of 2015?

• Assassin's Creed: Victory
    • Batman: Arkham Knight
    • EVOLVE
    • Grand Theft Auto 5
    • Just Cause 3
    • Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain
    • Saints Row: Gat out of Hell
    • Star Wars: Battlefront
    • The Witcher 3
    • Tom Clancy's The Division

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys why do you prefer PC gaming over console gaming?

Depends on the game but for stuff like Fallout and Skyrim, it's definitely because of the modding community. I can't imagine going back to Vanilla Skyrim now that I have like 60 mods installed.

When it comes to strategy games, I need my mouse and keyboard for stuff like that.

Lastly, I get alot of my games illegally so that's pretty self explanatory.

modding

dedicated servers

$cheaper

easy to sail the seven seas in somalia

solid 60+fps

Consoles have their merits but they can be replicated by a PC so yeah (controllers, steam big picture).

modding

dedicated servers

$cheaper

solid 60+fps

Consoles have their merits but they can be replicated by a PC so yeah (controllers, steam big picture).

I agree with most of what you said, but PCs really only start getting cheaper with games. Otherwise, your computer can run you easily three times the cost of a console. Mine did. Not saying that I think that it's a disadvantage since I use my PC for everything, but it can take a while before you actually come out ahead.

modding

dedicated servers

$cheaper

solid 60+fps

I agree with most of what you said, but PCs really only start getting cheaper with games. Otherwise, your computer can run you easily three times the cost of a console. Mine did. Not saying that I think that it's a disadvantage since I use my PC for everything, but it can take a while before you actually come out ahead.

Meh, not that big a deal. In the short term, yeah PCs are generally more expensive but over a few years it easily becomes the cheaper option (even for new AAA titles, e.g. Dark Souls 2 can be purchased for $40 on PC vs $50 on Xbox). Factor in the point that PCs can do a whole range of other things over consoles and you get greater value for money with a PC.

Because consoles are just technically inferior to my PC and no matter how powerful this current console generation will be, my PC I bought 2 years ago will just outperform it by far.

The only selling point that a console has is multiplayer aspects in the same room with other friends/family members, and other than that, PC is just vastly superior in terms of cost, technical specs, availability, functions and game experience.

The real pity though is that consoles still exist, because they are honestly the ones that are holding back game development due to having to limit all major titles to subpar specs. :/

What about FPS wise? These guys at school were arguing with me that PS3/XBOX have better graphics than PC.

Do you guys prefer FPS's with a mouse or a controller?

And yeah I prefer PC.

What about FPS wise? These guys at school were arguing with me that PS3/XBOX have better graphics than PC.

And yeah I prefer PC.

I'm used to a controller so I use my PS3 for FPS. Then again, you could just use a controller on a PC if that's your thing.

I won my PS3 back in a Church raffle back in 08 so I try to make use of it.

Edited by Phoenix Rider

And yeah I prefer PC.

That first part is absolute bollocks. Unless your PC is crap, you're going to have better graphics.

I much prefer a mouse for FPS's, can't play with a controller. That is probably also partly due to lack of experience though.

http://kotaku.com/5961994/what-skyrim-looks-like-when-youre-running-100-mods-at-once

That was Skyrim over 1.5 years ago. Compare it to anything you can find on your PS3, PS4 or the XBOX consoles, and go tell your "guys at school" to upgrade their PC before making comparisons like that.

Also, the entire controller discussion is generally moot. If you prefer controllers, buy one and use it with the PC. It is honestly what you should do for some games, simply because of fluidity.

http://kotaku.com/59...00-mods-at-once

That was Skyrim over 1.5 years ago. Compare it to anything you can find on your PS3, PS4 or the XBOX consoles, and go tell your "guys at school" to upgrade their PC before

making comparisons like that.

I'd just like to say that 100 mods is fiddlesticks; you can get the same effect by only applying a few mods (HD textures, dynamic lighting/shadows etc.). But yeah graphics on PC blow away anything consoles can muster. I'd like to see consoles try to output high settings @ 4k resolution. :cool:

http://kotaku.com/59...00-mods-at-once

That was Skyrim over 1.5 years ago. Compare it to anything you can find on your PS3, PS4 or the XBOX consoles, and go tell your "guys at school" to upgrade their PC before

making comparisons like that.

I'd just like to say that 100 mods is fiddlesticks; you can get the same effect by only applying a few mods (HD textures, dynamic lighting/shadows etc.). But yeah graphics on PC blow away anything consoles can muster. I'd like to see consoles try to output high settings @ 4k resolution. :cool:

November 2012 though. Mods have come a long way since then, they were probably just minor changes to minor objects and such. Granted it adds up, but 100 mods back then is enough for one mod pack these days, simply because Skyrim mods have evolved. :P

Edited by Yuanrang

• 4 weeks later...

i've finally upgraded my pc to the point where i can run almost every game at high/ultra settings

now that i can run everything, i have no idea what to play l:

too many optionsssss

i've finally upgraded my pc to the point where i can run almost every game at high/ultra settings

too many optionsssss

Super Hexagon. -.-

too many optionsssss

Super Hexagon. -.-

BAD RATS

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I decided to stop delaying it, and actually play Dark Souls(: Prepare to Die edition) and try to complete it. It has been somewhat of a bumpy ride thus far, but I just managed to kill the Gaping Dragon down in the depths and I found the entrance to Blighttown, or whatever the name was. I died horribly against the first enemy down there though, so I figure I will have to tackle that issue later this week when I have time.

I must admit, the game is growing on me. It is very unforgiving, but when you figure out how to advance and how to fight a particular boss, it is very entertaining because the feeling you are left with after struggling is so... damn... good.

I mean, the game basically is all about you being repeatedly hit in the nuts with a baseball bat, wrapped in barbed wire, while on fire... but succeeding surely must feel like one would when the nut cracking ends for a brief while, until the next session.

So who's excited for the new Civ game? :D

The trailers and gameplay videos look amazing. I can't wait to get my hands on it.

Me quite a bit, the gee eff a gazillion times more so

but they have delayed the mac release (to a non specified date) so no simultaneous release on all 3 platforms like it was announced in the first place :(

also we have almost finished divinity original sin in co-op

or at least we think so since we are lvl 18 and have entered the phantom forest (100+ hours played)

anyone else playing it also?

Edited by Egghebrecht

Is Dark Souls really unplayable without an Xbox controller? I own the game but have put off playing it because of the fact that I don't have an Xbox controller.

Also reposting the Victoria 2 bundle from the other thread http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/victoria-complete-bundle/

Edited by theking1322

Is Dark Souls really unplayable without an Xbox controller? I own the game but have put off playing it because of the fact that I don't have an Xbox controller.

the xbox USB controllers are seriously discounted today on amazon

picked one up a few hours ago myself for €32,55

I found it to be a vast improvement on gameplay experience, that is for sure. It does feel like Dark Souls in particular benefits quite heavily from that controller. Dark Souls is a very unforgiving game, and if you move awkwardly (such as with mouse and keyboard), you are going to really have a rough time in certain areas.

That said, I am generally pleased with buying a really cheap Xbox 360 controller just for PC gaming. It is good on some games, and horrid on others, but it fills a solid niche which makes gameplay more enjoyable as a whole.

@Eggh: No, but I am going to pick up Divinity eventually. Glad to hear you still seem to like it. ^_^

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines and Privacy Policy.